Skip to content

Jameis Winston

The Browns Board
78 24 3.9k
  • This again? We're gonna overreact to a pro day? How'd that work out with Teddy?

  • This again? We're gonna overreact to a pro day? How'd that work out with Teddy?

    @mld-woody said:

    This again? Woodys gonna overreact to nothing....again? How'd that work out for you on the Bradford thread?

    Fixed.....

  • I wouldn't touch Winston at all. I think the kid's head is screwed directly to his ass.

  • That teams reacted to Teddy's pro day is a myth, plenty of teams had and still do have serious reservations about him. NFL teams don't drop players 31 spots just based on pro days !

    His arm is weak for instance. He played ok last year but the system was very limited in what he was asked to do. We will see how he does this year being asked to do more with the deep threat in Wallace signed and the opposition having film on him.

  • That teams reacted to Teddy's pro day is a myth, plenty of teams had and still do have serious reservations about him. NFL teams don't drop players 31 spots just based on pro days !

    His arm is weak for instance. He played ok last year but the system was very limited in what he was asked to do. We will see how he does this year being asked to do more with the deep threat in Wallace signed and the opposition having film on him.

    @londonbrown said:

    That teams reacted to Teddy's pro day is a myth, plenty of teams had and still do have serious reservations about him. NFL teams don't drop players 31 spots just based on pro days !

    His arm is weak for instance. He played ok last year but the system was very limited in what he was asked to do. We will see how he does this year being asked to do more with the deep threat in Wallace signed and the opposition having film on him.

    I'm talking more about us, the fans, not the coaches and GMs

  • @mld-woody said:

    This again? Woodys gonna overreact to nothing....again? How'd that work out for you on the Bradford thread?

    Fixed.....

    @mudfly said:

    Fixed.....

    Ok, I'm lost. What did I overreact to in the Bradford thread?

  • This again? We're gonna overreact to a pro day? How'd that work out with Teddy?

    @mld-woody said:

    This again? We're gonna overreact to a pro day? How'd that work out with Teddy?

    Are we acting like Teddy is a big NFL success already?

    14 td /12 int

    6 w 6 l

    Lets see how he does second time around. I think Christian Ponder had a season just as good. RG3, Locker ... let's not crown a guy because he had a passable season.

    Z

  • No Ricky Williams nonsense but if the deal was reasonable pull the trigger but it won't be out there. Tampa takes him one.

  • Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB. If I was Tampa, I'd take Mariota. 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

  • Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB. If I was Tampa, I'd take Mariota. 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    @thenew23 said:

    Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB. If I was Tampa, I'd take Mariota. 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    Much smarter men than Marcus Mariota have failed as NFL QBs. Not to mention Jameis is actually pretty football smart.

  • Only problem I saw is Jameis did not wear a helmet...

    Not worried about Jameis on-field.

    Operating under center is still new to him and will come.

    Most of his missed throws came off poor footwork evading brooms as he ended his back-peddle... and that'll come as well.

  • Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB. If I was Tampa, I'd take Mariota. 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    @thenew23 said:

    Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB. If I was Tampa, I'd take Mariota. 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    I agree you can't make it as a QB in this league if you're completely 100% stoopid......Vince Young, Terrelle Pryor and Jeff George ought to be proof that you need a brain to go with the body....

    @wargograw said:

    Much smarter men than Marcus Mariota have failed as NFL QBs. Not to mention Jameis is actually pretty football smart.

    Like Johnny for example......had the highest rookie wonderlick score last year, yet acted dumber than them all......

  • @thenew23 said:

    Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB. If I was Tampa, I'd take Mariota. 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    Much smarter men than Marcus Mariota have failed as NFL QBs. Not to mention Jameis is actually pretty football smart.

    @wargograw said:

    Much smarter men than Marcus Mariota have failed as NFL QBs. Not to mention Jameis is actually pretty football smart.

    Never said he wasn't "football smart," just seems to lack discipline. Much like Manziel last year...

  • You said 90% of playing QB is behind the ears. That's what I was pushing back on.

  • Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB. If I was Tampa, I'd take Mariota. 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    @thenew23 said:

    Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB......... 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    @wargograw said:

    Much smarter men than Marcus Mariota have failed as NFL QBs. Not to mention Jameis is actually pretty football smart.

    Discipline vs intelligence vs football smarts = 3 different things......Id say you really only need 2 of them to succeed as QB in the NFL.....

    Discipline + football smarts win in my world......(unfortunately, our guy JFF has the intelligence, but not the other 2)....but I think Winston has, at least, the Football smarts & Intelligence......while Mariota seems to have all 3........

    @wargograw said:

    You said 90% of playing QB is behind the ears. That's what I was pushing back on.

    I have lint behind my ears.......

  • Lol

  • He's big, strong arm and has made "in the window, pre-break" throws, good enough for me but I can't make the deal for him. I also don't think the Browns can.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Doesnt seem to have the mental discipline to be successful as an NFL QB......... 90% of playing QB is between the ears...

    @wargograw said:

    Much smarter men than Marcus Mariota have failed as NFL QBs. Not to mention Jameis is actually pretty football smart.

    Discipline vs intelligence vs football smarts = 3 different things......Id say you really only need 2 of them to succeed as QB in the NFL.....

    Discipline + football smarts win in my world......(unfortunately, our guy JFF has the intelligence, but not the other 2)....but I think Winston has, at least, the Football smarts & Intelligence......while Mariota seems to have all 3........

    @wargograw said:

    You said 90% of playing QB is behind the ears. That's what I was pushing back on.

    I have lint behind my ears.......

    @mudfly said:

    Discipline vs intelligence vs football smarts = 3 different things......Id say you really only need 2 of them to succeed as QB in the NFL.....

    Discipline + football smarts win in my world......(unfortunately, our guy JFF has the intelligence, but not the other 2)....but I think Winston has, at least, the Football smarts & Intelligence......while Mariota seems to have all 3........

    I have lint behind my ears.......

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Johnny was regarded as pretty football-smart. I remember Gruden was wowed in the film room. Now he doesn't always make the best decisions on the field (or off, obviously), so maybe you point at that to say he's not football smart. But as far as diagnosing defenses I thought I recalled him being pretty sharp.

  • @mudfly said:

    Discipline vs intelligence vs football smarts = 3 different things......Id say you really only need 2 of them to succeed as QB in the NFL.....

    Discipline + football smarts win in my world......(unfortunately, our guy JFF has the intelligence, but not the other 2)....but I think Winston has, at least, the Football smarts & Intelligence......while Mariota seems to have all 3........

    I have lint behind my ears.......

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Johnny was regarded as pretty football-smart. I remember Gruden was wowed in the film room. Now he doesn't always make the best decisions on the field (or off, obviously), so maybe you point at that to say he's not football smart. But as far as diagnosing defenses I thought I recalled him being pretty sharp.

    @wargograw said:

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Johnny was regarded as pretty football-smart. I remember Gruden was wowed in the film room. Now he doesn't always make the best decisions on the field (or off, obviously), so maybe you point at that to say he's not football smart. But as far as diagnosing defenses I thought I recalled him being pretty sharp.

    I guess it's just what your interpretation of football smart is.......

    At the NFL level, Id say it was ability reading Defenses and an innate knowledge of how the offense works.....plus, the ability to learn and understand the play book.....

    For example, just watch this Marriucci/Winston tape and see how well Winston does at the chalk board.....(here)

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine-total-access/0ap3000000473191/Mooch-puts-Winston-to-the-test

    With JFF, he didnt even have a play book and ran more of a school yard offense, mostly predicated on him "making something happen"......and, when he got here, it was VERY clear he didn't know or understand the complexities of the NFL game......

    So, yeah, Jff has intelligence and great football instincts....but I dont think he's "football smart" in terms of the NFL and doesn't have knowledge a successful NFL quarterback should have in terms of pro style offensive and defensive sets, etc....

    and because of his school and the simple O they ran, he's been behind the eight ball since coming out, compared to guys like Winston or Mariota, who ran much more complex systems.....