Skip to content

The Only Day of the Year

Barber Shop Talk
126 23 6.1k
  • @londonbrown said:

    You'll have to tell me what a FRAK is first Gip...

    Glory hunter.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @gftchris said:

    Glory hunter.

    Bloomin thousands of them

  • @the-gipper said:

    Very few from what I can gather. Columbus has hockey and soccer, Cleveland has baseball, football, basketball.

    If you looked in the stores around here you may see a very small smattering of Blue Jackets gear for sale. I have never seen Columbus Crew gear sold anywhere around here. Maybe if I went to a mega sporting goods store and looked real hard I might find something.

    As for people from London following Manchester United, what you are saying is that you have FRAKs there too?

    You'll have to tell me what a FRAK is first Gip...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @londonbrown said:

    You'll have to tell me what a FRAK is first Gip...

    I thought you had been on this board enough to know that we use that term FrontRunnerAssKisser for people who glom on to teams that are not from their home areas simply because they are winning franchises. In other words, these essentially are people whose loyalty is for sale to some successful franchise. Bandwagon jumpers, essentially.

    You know, like many Steeler fans, or Cowboys fans, or Yankees/Celtic/Laker fans.....and....apparently many Man U fans.

    I mean, how many fans from London are supporters of like Stoke on Trent (but would be if Stoke on Trent were as successful as Man U). Nobody gave a cabbage fart about the Steelers for the first 50 years or so of their existance.

    Ya follow?

  • @londonbrown said:

    You'll have to tell me what a FRAK is first Gip...

    I thought you had been on this board enough to know that we use that term FrontRunnerAssKisser for people who glom on to teams that are not from their home areas simply because they are winning franchises. In other words, these essentially are people whose loyalty is for sale to some successful franchise. Bandwagon jumpers, essentially.

    You know, like many Steeler fans, or Cowboys fans, or Yankees/Celtic/Laker fans.....and....apparently many Man U fans.

    I mean, how many fans from London are supporters of like Stoke on Trent (but would be if Stoke on Trent were as successful as Man U). Nobody gave a cabbage fart about the Steelers for the first 50 years or so of their existance.

    Ya follow?

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #50

    @the-gipper said:

    I thought you had been on this board enough to know that we use that term FrontRunnerAssKisser for people who glom on to teams that are not from their home areas simply because they are winning franchises. In other words, these essentially are people whose loyalty is for sale to some successful franchise. Bandwagon jumpers, essentially.

    You know, like many Steeler fans, or Cowboys fans, or Yankees/Celtic/Laker fans.....and....apparently many Man U fans.

    I mean, how many fans from London are supporters of like Stoke on Trent (but would be if Stoke on Trent were as successful as Man U). Nobody gave a cabbage fart about the Steelers for the first 50 years or so of their existance.

    Ya follow?

    Yes I know what you mean, there are thousands of Man Utd followers in London for that reason.

    Also Chelsea, very few Londoners supported Chelsea until 1995 and beyond...despite them being a London club.

  • @gftchris said:

    Been through that before, and it's because you're wrong 😉

    I am not wrong. USA fans put more stock in Olympics than in World Cup....or it is at least close.

    (beyond that I did say "I" would rather have it that way.....others may feel otherwise)

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @the-gipper said:

    I am not wrong. USA fans put more stock in Olympics than in World Cup....or it is at least close.

    (beyond that I did say "I" would rather have it that way.....others may feel otherwise)

    USA fans that know nothing about soccer would rather have a gold medal. Objectively though, the correct answer is a World Cup championship. It isn't even a debate.

  • @mld-woody said:

    I wish I had a soccer team/club to follow like you both do. I can't really care that much about overseas teams, and the MLS has never put a team in a city I care to root for. If Cleveland ever got an MLS team, I'd instantly be a big fan

    You mean, in the same way we have a local NFL team to follow? 😉

    Tell you what, you give us an idea of the things you would look for in a team and we'll point you in the right direction. Like, win-at-all-costs? Traditionally big but now underachieving? Big city team waiting to explode? Team in shadow of local rival? etc.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @gftchris said:

    You mean, in the same way we have a local NFL team to follow? 😉

    Tell you what, you give us an idea of the things you would look for in a team and we'll point you in the right direction. Like, win-at-all-costs? Traditionally big but now underachieving? Big city team waiting to explode? Team in shadow of local rival? etc.

    I am a big fan of two (three) teams. The Cleveland Browns and the Michigan Wolverines (and USA Soccer, if that counts). I have a personal connection to both teams and am invested in both of them. If I just picked a premiere league team, it wouldn't be the same. I need something more than that.

    A Cleveland pro team would be perfect. Until then, I'll just watch MLS and EPL games here and there, and as many international games as I can.

    I played as Everton in Fifa. Tim Howard being the main reason. Plus the sweet pink jerseys. Next was the Hotspur. My international roommate was a big fan, all of our IM teams were called the Hotspur, and Dempsey had was there

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #53

    TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

    The greatest club in the UK.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #54

    Read up on the history, the teams in 1950 and 1960 and how we changed the way the game was played in England. The european trophy winning teams of the 70s and the FA Cup winning teams of the 80s.

    The glorious blue and white kits, one of the largest supported clubs despite a lack of success.

    You will be smitten.

    Sadly since 1994 or so it's been a tale of woe bar a little revival from 2008-2012

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #55

    i don't hate soccer. hell, i really don't hate anything except filthy ISIS and their compadres.

    i watched the world cup. all i'm saying in the US football (our football) is king. and there's no doubt about it.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #56

    Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town 😉

    Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

    Blue and white...that's imaginative.

  • Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town 😉

    Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

    Blue and white...that's imaginative.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @gftchris said:

    Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town 😉

    Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

    Blue and white...that's imaginative.

    Pfft, lets let Woody decide...

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am not wrong. USA fans put more stock in Olympics than in World Cup....or it is at least close.

    (beyond that I did say "I" would rather have it that way.....others may feel otherwise)

    USA fans that know nothing about soccer would rather have a gold medal. Objectively though, the correct answer is a World Cup championship. It isn't even a debate.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @mld-woody said:

    USA fans that know nothing about soccer would rather have a gold medal. Objectively though, the correct answer is a World Cup championship. It isn't even a debate.

    Correction: USA fans that don't give a FUCK about soccer. (I know and understand soccer just fine) Give me a Gold Medal any day.....and shove your World Cup up you ass sideways.

    Oh, I am not saying it isn't an interesting.....occasionally exciting event. And I would be glad to win it for the country....but I would rather have the Gold medal.

    And I don't have to go any further than Women's soccer to prove my point. USA women have won World Cups....and have won Olympic Gold medal. I am more glad that they won the Olympics than the WC.

  • Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town 😉

    Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

    Blue and white...that's imaginative.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @gftchris said:

    Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town 😉

    Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

    Blue and white...that's imaginative.

    You mean since Randy Lerner has owned them? He still owns them, no?

  • @gftchris said:

    Sure, spurs are great if you want a team that isn't even the best in their own town 😉

    Read about aston villa, if you want a club that is truly unique, has a history to match the best, and is underachieving in perpetuity since 1996, bar a little revival 2006-2010.

    Blue and white...that's imaginative.

    You mean since Randy Lerner has owned them? He still owns them, no?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @the-gipper said:

    You mean since Randy Lerner has owned them? He still owns them, no?

    Yeah, basically. And yes, he still owns them, for now. Very free-spending to begin with now saddles with a lot of debt and not spending so much.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #61

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

  • @the-gipper said:

    That would be like asking for someone from Liverpool to root for a team from Manchester.....does that happen?

    And now you damn soccer fags got this thread that I started to talk about baseball/basketball in relation to the NFL relegated to the Barber Shop board. You soccer fags do understand relegation don't you?

    Liverpool and Manchester no as those cities have an intense rivalry, I didn't realise Cleveland and Colombus was like that

    Plenty of people from London follow Manchester United.

    Does nobody in Cleveland follow the Blue Jackets?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @londonbrown said:

    Liverpool and Manchester no as those cities have an intense rivalry, I didn't realise Cleveland and Colombus was like that

    Plenty of people from London follow Manchester United.

    Does nobody in Cleveland follow the Blue Jackets?

    Can't speak for Cleveland- but since I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie, don't root for the Blue Jackets. My hockey loyalty predates them- the Detroit Red Wings & Gordie Howe. Incidentally I hate the Pistons and Tigers- I tolerate the Lions, as both my brother in laws are huge Lions fans. (Had to convert my wife from the Lions to the Browns).

  • And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @gftchris said:

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    He is objectively incorrect. I don't think he realizes that

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #64

    Of course the rest of the world's love for World Cup soccer has nothing to do with us. Now I understand some people do love opening day and March Madness but as to the latter I care less about it that I do the next Beanie Baby release.

    WSS

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #65

    I root for the blue jackets which admittedly isn't very fun.

  • And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @gftchris said:

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    Because it is the Olympics, the premier sporting event on Planet Earth. And I am not wrong at all. I cannot be wrong about a matter of opinion. I don't know why you all don't see that. Perhaps because the USA dominates the Olympics. (but clearly US Men's soccer is not a sport they are dominant in....thus it would mean even more.

  • @gftchris said:

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    He is objectively incorrect. I don't think he realizes that

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @mld-woody said:

    He is objectively incorrect. I don't think he realizes that

    I am not objectively incorrect. In my opinion winning a Gold medal is more prestigious. Do you understand what "objective" means? I will give you an example:

    I think you are a little cocksucker. Now, that is an opinion based on your personality, which you can argue with, but which you cannot change my opinion about.

    But, if I said you actually put penises in your mouth and sucked on them, then I would be objectively incorrect.....or would I?