Skip to content

The Only Day of the Year

Barber Shop Talk
126 23 6.1k
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #61

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

  • @the-gipper said:

    That would be like asking for someone from Liverpool to root for a team from Manchester.....does that happen?

    And now you damn soccer fags got this thread that I started to talk about baseball/basketball in relation to the NFL relegated to the Barber Shop board. You soccer fags do understand relegation don't you?

    Liverpool and Manchester no as those cities have an intense rivalry, I didn't realise Cleveland and Colombus was like that

    Plenty of people from London follow Manchester United.

    Does nobody in Cleveland follow the Blue Jackets?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @londonbrown said:

    Liverpool and Manchester no as those cities have an intense rivalry, I didn't realise Cleveland and Colombus was like that

    Plenty of people from London follow Manchester United.

    Does nobody in Cleveland follow the Blue Jackets?

    Can't speak for Cleveland- but since I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie, don't root for the Blue Jackets. My hockey loyalty predates them- the Detroit Red Wings & Gordie Howe. Incidentally I hate the Pistons and Tigers- I tolerate the Lions, as both my brother in laws are huge Lions fans. (Had to convert my wife from the Lions to the Browns).

  • And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @gftchris said:

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    He is objectively incorrect. I don't think he realizes that

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #64

    Of course the rest of the world's love for World Cup soccer has nothing to do with us. Now I understand some people do love opening day and March Madness but as to the latter I care less about it that I do the next Beanie Baby release.

    WSS

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #65

    I root for the blue jackets which admittedly isn't very fun.

  • And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @gftchris said:

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    Because it is the Olympics, the premier sporting event on Planet Earth. And I am not wrong at all. I cannot be wrong about a matter of opinion. I don't know why you all don't see that. Perhaps because the USA dominates the Olympics. (but clearly US Men's soccer is not a sport they are dominant in....thus it would mean even more.

  • @gftchris said:

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    He is objectively incorrect. I don't think he realizes that

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @mld-woody said:

    He is objectively incorrect. I don't think he realizes that

    I am not objectively incorrect. In my opinion winning a Gold medal is more prestigious. Do you understand what "objective" means? I will give you an example:

    I think you are a little cocksucker. Now, that is an opinion based on your personality, which you can argue with, but which you cannot change my opinion about.

    But, if I said you actually put penises in your mouth and sucked on them, then I would be objectively incorrect.....or would I?

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #68

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

  • ConnerLangfordC ConnerLangford wrote on last edited by
    #69

    I agree with Woody, I need personal connections to follow a team, I mainly follow 3 teams, the Browns in the NFL, the Tennessee Vols in college, and Bayern Munich in soccer. I was pretty much born into being a Browns and Tennessee fan because of my dad, when my dad was in the Army he was stationed in Grafenwöhr, Germany so while I lived there we went into Munich quite often and one day we decided to go to a Bayern Munich game and after that first game I was hooked. I love American Football and it will always be number 1 in my heart but nothing in the world compares to a World Cup. American Football will always be the most popular in the US but I think in the next 5-10 years soccer will be right up there with the MLB, or NBA, if not more popular. I love that soccer is growing here

  • It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @mld-woody said:

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    Or you could have an opinion about anything that can be proven statistically wrong- the Super Bowl is not- and look it up Gip- the Super Bowl is not the most viewed Sporting event on the planet- the World Cup final is.

    I don't care if you don't give a rats ass about it- but those the facts jack.

    Soccer may not ever catch up to the NFL in the USA- but I'd lay some serious coin it will surpass MLB in the not too distant future in TV ratings, if it hasn't already.

  • I agree with Woody, I need personal connections to follow a team, I mainly follow 3 teams, the Browns in the NFL, the Tennessee Vols in college, and Bayern Munich in soccer. I was pretty much born into being a Browns and Tennessee fan because of my dad, when my dad was in the Army he was stationed in Grafenwöhr, Germany so while I lived there we went into Munich quite often and one day we decided to go to a Bayern Munich game and after that first game I was hooked. I love American Football and it will always be number 1 in my heart but nothing in the world compares to a World Cup. American Football will always be the most popular in the US but I think in the next 5-10 years soccer will be right up there with the MLB, or NBA, if not more popular. I love that soccer is growing here

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @connerlangford said:

    I was pretty much born into being a Browns and Tennessee fan because of my dad...

    Jimmy Haslam IV?

  • @gftchris said:

    And we've been through the olympics vs world cup before, and you were wrong then as well. But just for the fun of it - why would you rather an olympics win than world cup?

    Because it is the Olympics, the premier sporting event on Planet Earth. And I am not wrong at all. I cannot be wrong about a matter of opinion. I don't know why you all don't see that. Perhaps because the USA dominates the Olympics. (but clearly US Men's soccer is not a sport they are dominant in....thus it would mean even more.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @the-gipper said:

    Because it is the Olympics, the premier sporting event on Planet Earth. And I am not wrong at all. I cannot be wrong about a matter of opinion. I don't know why you all don't see that. Perhaps because the USA dominates the Olympics. (but clearly US Men's soccer is not a sport they are dominant in....thus it would mean even more.

    The olympics is great for track and field, not other sports. You'd presumably rather your american guy (whoever) wins the olympic tennis gold than wimbledon, flushing meadows or any of the other majors?

    Also, and we've been through it before, the olympics is an age restricted tournament, for players under 23 (with three over 23 players). If you win, I'm sure it's great, but it really does not even come close to the world cup.

  • It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @mld-woody said:

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    But if someone from Jacksonville said they liked the Jags better than the Steelers.....by your way of thinking they too would be wrong.

  • @mld-woody said:

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    Or you could have an opinion about anything that can be proven statistically wrong- the Super Bowl is not- and look it up Gip- the Super Bowl is not the most viewed Sporting event on the planet- the World Cup final is.

    I don't care if you don't give a rats ass about it- but those the facts jack.

    Soccer may not ever catch up to the NFL in the USA- but I'd lay some serious coin it will surpass MLB in the not too distant future in TV ratings, if it hasn't already.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @hoorta said:

    Or you could have an opinion about anything that can be proven statistically wrong- the Super Bowl is not- and look it up Gip- the Super Bowl is not the most viewed Sporting event on the planet- the World Cup final is.

    I am not really even arguing what is most watched....but I would ask that you go back and compare the WC to the Olympics re most viewed sporting event.

    I don't care if you don't give a rats ass about it- but those the facts jack.

    Soccer may not ever catch up to the NFL in the USA- but I'd lay some serious coin it will surpass MLB in the not too distant future in TV ratings, if it hasn't already.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Because it is the Olympics, the premier sporting event on Planet Earth. And I am not wrong at all. I cannot be wrong about a matter of opinion. I don't know why you all don't see that. Perhaps because the USA dominates the Olympics. (but clearly US Men's soccer is not a sport they are dominant in....thus it would mean even more.

    The olympics is great for track and field, not other sports. You'd presumably rather your american guy (whoever) wins the olympic tennis gold than wimbledon, flushing meadows or any of the other majors?

    Also, and we've been through it before, the olympics is an age restricted tournament, for players under 23 (with three over 23 players). If you win, I'm sure it's great, but it really does not even come close to the world cup.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @gftchris said:

    The olympics is great for track and field, not other sports.

    That is complete BS. The Olympics is THE premiere sports competition for every sport that is played in them, except perhaps a few. (and maybe soccer is one of those...to most people)

    You'd presumably rather your american guy (whoever) wins the olympic tennis gold than wimbledon, flushing meadows or any of the other majors?

    Actually, absolutely yes. When they win tennis gold for the Olympics they win for their country. When they win Wimbledon etc. they just win for themselves.

    Also, and we've been through it before, the olympics is an age restricted tournament, for players under 23 (with three over 23 players). If you win, I'm sure it's great, but it really does not even come close to the world cup.

    Well, I disagree with the age restriction....why in hell would that be put in there? (afraid that it will surpass the WC? ) Nevertheless I still prefer a gold medal.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #76

    About 900 million watched the olympic opening ceremony in 2012 (apparently the yardstick for the olympics), compared to between 900 million to 1 billion for the world cup final 2014. Comparable at least, and I would expect the WC to have the higher numbers.

  • About 900 million watched the olympic opening ceremony in 2012 (apparently the yardstick for the olympics), compared to between 900 million to 1 billion for the world cup final 2014. Comparable at least, and I would expect the WC to have the higher numbers.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @gftchris said:

    About 900 million watched the olympic opening ceremony in 2012 (apparently the yardstick for the olympics), compared to between 900 million to 1 billion for the world cup final 2014. Comparable at least, and I would expect the WC to have the higher numbers.

    Everyone watches the opening ceremony though. It drops off after that I'd imaginev

  • @mld-woody said:

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    But if someone from Jacksonville said they liked the Jags better than the Steelers.....by your way of thinking they too would be wrong.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @the-gipper said:

    But if someone from Jacksonville said they liked the Jags better than the Steelers.....by your way of thinking they too would be wrong.

    You said you'd rather have a gold medal than a WC final. It is a fine opinion to like one more than the other. But you're basically saying you'd rather have $5 than $50. Technically you can have any opinion you want, but realistically you're wrong.

    Anyone that knows anything about soccer would rather have a WC

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #79

  • @connerlangford said:

    I was pretty much born into being a Browns and Tennessee fan because of my dad...

    Jimmy Haslam IV?

    ConnerLangfordC ConnerLangford wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @gftchris said:

    Jimmy Haslam IV?

    I wish I was that rich lol