Skip to content

The Only Day of the Year

Barber Shop Talk
126 23 6.1k
  • It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @mld-woody said:

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    But if someone from Jacksonville said they liked the Jags better than the Steelers.....by your way of thinking they too would be wrong.

  • @mld-woody said:

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    Or you could have an opinion about anything that can be proven statistically wrong- the Super Bowl is not- and look it up Gip- the Super Bowl is not the most viewed Sporting event on the planet- the World Cup final is.

    I don't care if you don't give a rats ass about it- but those the facts jack.

    Soccer may not ever catch up to the NFL in the USA- but I'd lay some serious coin it will surpass MLB in the not too distant future in TV ratings, if it hasn't already.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @hoorta said:

    Or you could have an opinion about anything that can be proven statistically wrong- the Super Bowl is not- and look it up Gip- the Super Bowl is not the most viewed Sporting event on the planet- the World Cup final is.

    I am not really even arguing what is most watched....but I would ask that you go back and compare the WC to the Olympics re most viewed sporting event.

    I don't care if you don't give a rats ass about it- but those the facts jack.

    Soccer may not ever catch up to the NFL in the USA- but I'd lay some serious coin it will surpass MLB in the not too distant future in TV ratings, if it hasn't already.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Because it is the Olympics, the premier sporting event on Planet Earth. And I am not wrong at all. I cannot be wrong about a matter of opinion. I don't know why you all don't see that. Perhaps because the USA dominates the Olympics. (but clearly US Men's soccer is not a sport they are dominant in....thus it would mean even more.

    The olympics is great for track and field, not other sports. You'd presumably rather your american guy (whoever) wins the olympic tennis gold than wimbledon, flushing meadows or any of the other majors?

    Also, and we've been through it before, the olympics is an age restricted tournament, for players under 23 (with three over 23 players). If you win, I'm sure it's great, but it really does not even come close to the world cup.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @gftchris said:

    The olympics is great for track and field, not other sports.

    That is complete BS. The Olympics is THE premiere sports competition for every sport that is played in them, except perhaps a few. (and maybe soccer is one of those...to most people)

    You'd presumably rather your american guy (whoever) wins the olympic tennis gold than wimbledon, flushing meadows or any of the other majors?

    Actually, absolutely yes. When they win tennis gold for the Olympics they win for their country. When they win Wimbledon etc. they just win for themselves.

    Also, and we've been through it before, the olympics is an age restricted tournament, for players under 23 (with three over 23 players). If you win, I'm sure it's great, but it really does not even come close to the world cup.

    Well, I disagree with the age restriction....why in hell would that be put in there? (afraid that it will surpass the WC? ) Nevertheless I still prefer a gold medal.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #76

    About 900 million watched the olympic opening ceremony in 2012 (apparently the yardstick for the olympics), compared to between 900 million to 1 billion for the world cup final 2014. Comparable at least, and I would expect the WC to have the higher numbers.

  • About 900 million watched the olympic opening ceremony in 2012 (apparently the yardstick for the olympics), compared to between 900 million to 1 billion for the world cup final 2014. Comparable at least, and I would expect the WC to have the higher numbers.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @gftchris said:

    About 900 million watched the olympic opening ceremony in 2012 (apparently the yardstick for the olympics), compared to between 900 million to 1 billion for the world cup final 2014. Comparable at least, and I would expect the WC to have the higher numbers.

    Everyone watches the opening ceremony though. It drops off after that I'd imaginev

  • @mld-woody said:

    It could be your opinion that the Jags are historically a better team than the Steelers, but you'd be wrong.

    But if someone from Jacksonville said they liked the Jags better than the Steelers.....by your way of thinking they too would be wrong.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @the-gipper said:

    But if someone from Jacksonville said they liked the Jags better than the Steelers.....by your way of thinking they too would be wrong.

    You said you'd rather have a gold medal than a WC final. It is a fine opinion to like one more than the other. But you're basically saying you'd rather have $5 than $50. Technically you can have any opinion you want, but realistically you're wrong.

    Anyone that knows anything about soccer would rather have a WC

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #79

  • @connerlangford said:

    I was pretty much born into being a Browns and Tennessee fan because of my dad...

    Jimmy Haslam IV?

    ConnerLangfordC ConnerLangford wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @gftchris said:

    Jimmy Haslam IV?

    I wish I was that rich lol

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #81

    The world cup is really not very big at all here. I know you guys love soccer. For the love of all that's holy I don't get why but I know you love it.

  • The world cup is really not very big at all here. I know you guys love soccer. For the love of all that's holy I don't get why but I know you love it.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The world cup is really not very big at all here. I know you guys love soccer. For the love of all that's holy I don't get why but I know you love it.

    That's fair enough. I don't understand the love of basketball - which strikes me as super repetitive - but I know some people go crazy about it. NBA might even be bigger than NFL over here.

    Also, I read a stat yesterday that the WC final (2014) had higher viewing figures than the 2013 world series (per game I guess?) and the 2014 NBA championship game, IIRC. Can't find the link now, but this is illuminating nonetheless;

    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/07/07/7-most-revealing-facts-about-world-cup-tv-viewing-numbers/

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #83

    Well in a 3 hour football game the ball is actually moving for about 5 of those minutes. Soccer has it right...manageable time...great action, the flopping is a drag but getting better.

  • @the-gipper said:

    But if someone from Jacksonville said they liked the Jags better than the Steelers.....by your way of thinking they too would be wrong.

    You said you'd rather have a gold medal than a WC final. It is a fine opinion to like one more than the other. But you're basically saying you'd rather have $5 than $50. Technically you can have any opinion you want, but realistically you're wrong.

    Anyone that knows anything about soccer would rather have a WC

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @mld-woody said:

    You said you'd rather have a gold medal than a WC final. It is a fine opinion to like one more than the other. But you're basically saying you'd rather have $5 than $50. Technically you can have any opinion you want, but realistically you're wrong.

    That statement is about as fucking dumb as it has ever gotten for you. To me, the Gold medal represents the $50.00 and the WC the $5.00.

    Its a good thing you are an engineer. Your math may be OK, but your logic is Retarded.

    Anyone that knows anything about soccer would rather have a WC.

    Knowing about soccer doesn't have a goddamn thing to do with it. It is what someone prefers....it is what someone values. I value an Olympic Gold Medal more than a WC title.

    Maybe I can put it in terms your simple mind can understand: To me, the Gold Medal is the Ohio State of the Sport......and the WC is the Michigan of the sport.

    Now do you get it?

  • Well in a 3 hour football game the ball is actually moving for about 5 of those minutes. Soccer has it right...manageable time...great action, the flopping is a drag but getting better.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @kvoethe said:

    Well in a 3 hour football game the ball is actually moving for about 5 of those minutes. Soccer has it right...manageable time...great action, the flopping is a drag but getting better.

    Of course, 10 times more action happens in those 5 minutes of football than what happens in 90 minutes of soccer. (Yes, that's right.....in 90 minutes of soccer there are maybe what 90 seconds of goal attacking action).

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #86

    ...

    And we're back to you not knowing what you're talking about haha

  • The world cup is really not very big at all here. I know you guys love soccer. For the love of all that's holy I don't get why but I know you love it.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The world cup is really not very big at all here. I know you guys love soccer. For the love of all that's holy I don't get why but I know you love it.

    I wouldn't say that. The world cup is a big deal until the USA gets knocked out. Then people care much, much less.

    Just like a lot of people watch the SB because its the SB, a lot of Americans watch the WC for America. Which is great, but it means the actual sport I secondary to them.

    As soccer grows that will start to change. Hopefully it can swap with the MLB as it slowly dies

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    The world cup is really not very big at all here. I know you guys love soccer. For the love of all that's holy I don't get why but I know you love it.

    I wouldn't say that. The world cup is a big deal until the USA gets knocked out. Then people care much, much less.

    Just like a lot of people watch the SB because its the SB, a lot of Americans watch the WC for America. Which is great, but it means the actual sport I secondary to them.

    As soccer grows that will start to change. Hopefully it can swap with the MLB as it slowly dies

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #88

    @mld-woody said:

    I wouldn't say that. The world cup is a big deal until the USA gets knocked out. Then people care much, much less.

    Just like a lot of people watch the SB because its the SB, a lot of Americans watch the WC for America. Which is great, but it means the actual sport I secondary to them.

    As soccer grows that will start to change. Hopefully it can swap with the MLB as it slowly dies

    A lot of people have foot fetishes I wouldn't say it's a big thing though.

  • ...

    And we're back to you not knowing what you're talking about haha

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @mld-woody said:

    ...

    And we're back to you not knowing what you're talking about haha

    Yet, I always know more about what I am talking about than you do.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    The world cup is really not very big at all here. I know you guys love soccer. For the love of all that's holy I don't get why but I know you love it.

    I wouldn't say that. The world cup is a big deal until the USA gets knocked out. Then people care much, much less.

    Just like a lot of people watch the SB because its the SB, a lot of Americans watch the WC for America. Which is great, but it means the actual sport I secondary to them.

    As soccer grows that will start to change. Hopefully it can swap with the MLB as it slowly dies

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @mld-woody said:

    I wouldn't say that. The world cup is a big deal until the USA gets knocked out. Then people care much, much less.

    It is a little deal.....and less when the US gets knocked out.

    Just like a lot of people watch the SB because its the SB, a lot of Americans watch the WC for America. Which is great, but it means the actual sport I secondary to them.

    As soccer grows that will start to change. Hopefully it can swap with the MLB as it slowly dies

    MLB setting record numbers in attendance and revenues...if not ratings....I don't know if MLS is doing that.....So? Who doesn't know WTF they are talking about?

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #91

    World Series viewing figures:

    683f8d314c752cb09a3a79b4cd148da9.png

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #92

    MLB_Attendance_1950-2013.png