Skip to content

All Time Browns Depth Chart

The Browns Board
72 15 2.6k
  • Here is a proposed All time Browns Depth Chart taking each position with a starter and a backup from the all time Browns roster:

    QB Otto Graham, backup Frank Ryan (over Sipe and Kosar)

    FB Jim Brown backup Marion Motley

    RB Leroy Kelly, backup Greg Pruitt

    WR 1 Paul Warfield, backup Bobby Mitchell

    WR 2 Dante Lavelli, backup Gary Collins

    TE Ozzie Newsome, backup Milt Morin

    OT1 Joe Thomas, backup Doug Dieken

    OT2 Mike MacCormack, backup Dick Shafrath

    OG1 Gene Hickerson, backup Robert Jackson

    OG2 Joe Delamalleure, backup John Wooten

    OC Frank Gatski, backup Tom DeLeone (over Baab, Mack)

    DE1 Len Ford, backup Paul Wiggin

    DE2 Bill Glass, backup Carl Hairston

    DT1 Michael Dean Perry, backup Walter Johnson

    DT2 Jerry Sherk backup Bob Golic

    OLB1 Clay Matthews, backup Chip Banks

    OLB2 Jim Houston, backup Charlie Hall

    MLB1 Bill Willis, backup Vince Costello

    MLB2 Mike Johnson, backup Dick Ambrose

    CB1 Hanford Dixon, backup Bernie Parrish

    CB2 Frank Minnifield, backup Joe Haden

    SS Clarence Scott, backup Ross Fichtner

    FS Thom Darden, backup Eric Turner

    K Lou Groza, backup Don Cockroft/Phil Dawson

    P Horace Gillom, backup Chris Gardocki

    KR Josh Cribbs, backup Eric Metcalf

    Any substitutions you would like to make?

    Italics= HOF

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is a proposed All time Browns Depth Chart taking each position with a starter and a backup from the all time Browns roster:

    QB Otto Graham, backup Frank Ryan (over Sipe and Kosar)

    FB Marion Motley, backup Mike Pruitt (over Mack)

    RB Jim Brown, backup Leroy Kelly

    WR 1 Paul Warfield, backup Mac Speedie

    WR 2 Dante Lavelli, backup Gary Collins

    TE Ozzie Newsome, backup Milt Morin

    OT1 Lou Groza, backup Joe Thomas

    OT2 Mike MacCormack, backup Dick Shafrath

    OG1 Gene Hickerson, backup Robert Jackson

    OG2 Joe Delamalleure, backup John Wooten

    OC Frank Gatski, backup Tom DeLeone (over Baab, Mack)

    DE1 Len Ford, backup Paul Wiggin

    DE2 Bill Glass, backup Carl Hairston

    DT1 Michael Dean Perry, backup Jerry Sherk

    DT2 Walter Johnson, backup Bob Golic

    OLB1 Clay Matthews, backup Chip Banks

    OLB2 Jim Houston, backup Charlie Hall

    MLB1 Bill Willis, backup Vince Costello

    MLB2 Mike Johnson, backup Dick Ambrose

    CB1 Hanford Dixon, backup Bernie Parrish

    CB2 Frank Minnifield, backup Joe Haden

    SS Clarence Scott, backup Ross Fichtner

    FS Thom Darden, backup Eric Turner

    K Lou Groza, backup Don Cockroft (over Phil Dawson)

    P Gary Collins, backup Horace Gillom

    KR Bobby Mitchell, backup Josh Cribbs

    Any substitutions you would like to make?

    Italics= HOF

    I think some of the selections indicate a quantity of production with the Browns over a shorter, more quality-packed run, which is a good way to go, but If I were doing it "at the peak of his career" of guys that played, say, three years or more with the Browns, then I am starting Sherk over Johnson and Turner over Scott for sure.

    And I'm not sure how Mitchell go the kick return job over Cribbs, but that is highway robbery. Mitchell is a HOF, and was a terrific receiver and running back, but Cribbs is probably the best special teams player in NFL history and holds the Browns Punt and KO return records. About 8,500 more KO return yards a Brown than Mitchell.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is a proposed All time Browns Depth Chart taking each position with a starter and a backup from the all time Browns roster:

    QB Otto Graham, backup Frank Ryan (over Sipe and Kosar)

    FB Marion Motley, backup Mike Pruitt (over Mack)

    RB Jim Brown, backup Leroy Kelly

    WR 1 Paul Warfield, backup Mac Speedie

    WR 2 Dante Lavelli, backup Gary Collins

    TE Ozzie Newsome, backup Milt Morin

    OT1 Lou Groza, backup Joe Thomas

    OT2 Mike MacCormack, backup Dick Shafrath

    OG1 Gene Hickerson, backup Robert Jackson

    OG2 Joe Delamalleure, backup John Wooten

    OC Frank Gatski, backup Tom DeLeone (over Baab, Mack)

    DE1 Len Ford, backup Paul Wiggin

    DE2 Bill Glass, backup Carl Hairston

    DT1 Michael Dean Perry, backup Jerry Sherk

    DT2 Walter Johnson, backup Bob Golic

    OLB1 Clay Matthews, backup Chip Banks

    OLB2 Jim Houston, backup Charlie Hall

    MLB1 Bill Willis, backup Vince Costello

    MLB2 Mike Johnson, backup Dick Ambrose

    CB1 Hanford Dixon, backup Bernie Parrish

    CB2 Frank Minnifield, backup Joe Haden

    SS Clarence Scott, backup Ross Fichtner

    FS Thom Darden, backup Eric Turner

    K Lou Groza, backup Don Cockroft (over Phil Dawson)

    P Gary Collins, backup Horace Gillom

    KR Bobby Mitchell, backup Josh Cribbs

    Any substitutions you would like to make?

    Italics= HOF

    I think some of the selections indicate a quantity of production with the Browns over a shorter, more quality-packed run, which is a good way to go, but If I were doing it "at the peak of his career" of guys that played, say, three years or more with the Browns, then I am starting Sherk over Johnson and Turner over Scott for sure.

    And I'm not sure how Mitchell go the kick return job over Cribbs, but that is highway robbery. Mitchell is a HOF, and was a terrific receiver and running back, but Cribbs is probably the best special teams player in NFL history and holds the Browns Punt and KO return records. About 8,500 more KO return yards a Brown than Mitchell.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I think some of the selections indicate a quantity of production with the Browns over a shorter, more quality-packed run, which is a good way to go, but If I were doing it "at the peak of his career" of guys that played, say, three years or more with the Browns, then I am starting Sherk over Johnson and Turner over Scott for sure.

    And I'm not sure how Mitchell go the kick return job over Cribbs, but that is highway robbery. Mitchell is a HOF, and was a terrific receiver and running back, but Cribbs is probably the best special teams player in NFL history and holds the Browns Punt and KO return records. About 8,500 more KO return yards a Brown than Mitchell.

    Zombo

    Fair enough. I put Mitchell in at that slot as he is a HOF, pure and simple. Maybe I could have put him in at a #2 WR rather than Speedie and given Cribbs the KR nod he probably deserves. On Sherk/Johnson it was debatable for me...basically a flip of the coin, both quality (which I wish we had now). On Scott vs Turner....yes, basically it was just longevity that gave Scott the nod.....but at his peak, E-Rock was probably better. (though I think E-Rock was considered a FS...not a SS like Scott....and I was going to keep Darden starting at FS...even over either of those).

  • Here is a proposed All time Browns Depth Chart taking each position with a starter and a backup from the all time Browns roster:

    QB Otto Graham, backup Frank Ryan (over Sipe and Kosar)

    FB Jim Brown backup Marion Motley

    RB Leroy Kelly, backup Greg Pruitt

    WR 1 Paul Warfield, backup Bobby Mitchell

    WR 2 Dante Lavelli, backup Gary Collins

    TE Ozzie Newsome, backup Milt Morin

    OT1 Joe Thomas, backup Doug Dieken

    OT2 Mike MacCormack, backup Dick Shafrath

    OG1 Gene Hickerson, backup Robert Jackson

    OG2 Joe Delamalleure, backup John Wooten

    OC Frank Gatski, backup Tom DeLeone (over Baab, Mack)

    DE1 Len Ford, backup Paul Wiggin

    DE2 Bill Glass, backup Carl Hairston

    DT1 Michael Dean Perry, backup Walter Johnson

    DT2 Jerry Sherk backup Bob Golic

    OLB1 Clay Matthews, backup Chip Banks

    OLB2 Jim Houston, backup Charlie Hall

    MLB1 Bill Willis, backup Vince Costello

    MLB2 Mike Johnson, backup Dick Ambrose

    CB1 Hanford Dixon, backup Bernie Parrish

    CB2 Frank Minnifield, backup Joe Haden

    SS Clarence Scott, backup Ross Fichtner

    FS Thom Darden, backup Eric Turner

    K Lou Groza, backup Don Cockroft/Phil Dawson

    P Horace Gillom, backup Chris Gardocki

    KR Josh Cribbs, backup Eric Metcalf

    Any substitutions you would like to make?

    Italics= HOF

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is a proposed All time Browns Depth Chart taking each position with a starter and a backup from the all time Browns roster:

    QB Otto Graham, backup Frank Ryan (over Sipe and Kosar)

    FB Marion Motley, backup Mike Pruitt (over Mack)

    RB Jim Brown, backup Leroy Kelly

    WR 1 Paul Warfield, backup Mac Speedie

    WR 2 Dante Lavelli, backup Gary Collins

    TE Ozzie Newsome, backup Milt Morin

    OT1 Lou Groza, backup Joe Thomas

    OT2 Mike MacCormack, backup Dick Shafrath

    OG1 Gene Hickerson, backup Robert Jackson

    OG2 Joe Delamalleure, backup John Wooten

    OC Frank Gatski, backup Tom DeLeone (over Baab, Mack)

    DE1 Len Ford, backup Paul Wiggin

    DE2 Bill Glass, backup Carl Hairston

    DT1 Michael Dean Perry, backup Jerry Sherk

    DT2 Walter Johnson, backup Bob Golic

    OLB1 Clay Matthews, backup Chip Banks

    OLB2 Jim Houston, backup Charlie Hall

    MLB1 Bill Willis, backup Vince Costello

    MLB2 Mike Johnson, backup Dick Ambrose

    CB1 Hanford Dixon, backup Bernie Parrish

    CB2 Frank Minnifield, backup Joe Haden

    SS Clarence Scott, backup Ross Fichtner

    FS Thom Darden, backup Eric Turner

    K Lou Groza, backup Don Cockroft (over Phil Dawson)

    P Gary Collins, backup Horace Gillom

    KR Bobby Mitchell, backup Josh Cribbs

    Any substitutions you would like to make?

    Italics= HOF

    Ya- Phil Dawson over Groza or Cockroft for starters. That was then, this is now. The bar is raised- or you wonder why the kickoff distance was moved back- the goal posts were moved back, and the next step- take it to the bank- is narrowing the posts? I love Lou "the Toe", but Dawson would have beat his team record in points if he had stuck around for another year & kindly don't give me any shit about 12 game as opposed to 16 game seasons. BTW, Phil is better in every significant category.

    Same reason you can question Jim Brown running over defensive ends that weren't much bigger than he was. You can argue Bo Jackson- had he not suffered a freak injury, was superior to Brown, against superior competition. Bo clocked the 2nd fastest time ever recorded at the combine- Daryl Green is still #1 @ 4.1 and change) - and had enough power to flatten the over rated Brian Bosworth in one of the all-time steamrollings.

    Want to compare eras? Jim Thorpe's (at the time) 1,500 meter world record is 40 seconds slower than the current standard. I'll bet you some serious money the standing High School record is significantly faster.

  • I'm not sure why you went with Collins over Gillom at punter, especially with Collins already on the roster.

    I think Gillom is the punter. And yes, Dawson over Cockroft for sure. If you want Cockroft on the team, he could backup Gillom at punter, although someone like Chris Gardocki was a better punter than the Cock.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is a proposed All time Browns Depth Chart taking each position with a starter and a backup from the all time Browns roster:

    QB Otto Graham, backup Frank Ryan (over Sipe and Kosar)

    FB Marion Motley, backup Mike Pruitt (over Mack)

    RB Jim Brown, backup Leroy Kelly

    WR 1 Paul Warfield, backup Mac Speedie

    WR 2 Dante Lavelli, backup Gary Collins

    TE Ozzie Newsome, backup Milt Morin

    OT1 Lou Groza, backup Joe Thomas

    OT2 Mike MacCormack, backup Dick Shafrath

    OG1 Gene Hickerson, backup Robert Jackson

    OG2 Joe Delamalleure, backup John Wooten

    OC Frank Gatski, backup Tom DeLeone (over Baab, Mack)

    DE1 Len Ford, backup Paul Wiggin

    DE2 Bill Glass, backup Carl Hairston

    DT1 Michael Dean Perry, backup Jerry Sherk

    DT2 Walter Johnson, backup Bob Golic

    OLB1 Clay Matthews, backup Chip Banks

    OLB2 Jim Houston, backup Charlie Hall

    MLB1 Bill Willis, backup Vince Costello

    MLB2 Mike Johnson, backup Dick Ambrose

    CB1 Hanford Dixon, backup Bernie Parrish

    CB2 Frank Minnifield, backup Joe Haden

    SS Clarence Scott, backup Ross Fichtner

    FS Thom Darden, backup Eric Turner

    K Lou Groza, backup Don Cockroft (over Phil Dawson)

    P Gary Collins, backup Horace Gillom

    KR Bobby Mitchell, backup Josh Cribbs

    Any substitutions you would like to make?

    Italics= HOF

    Ya- Phil Dawson over Groza or Cockroft for starters. That was then, this is now. The bar is raised- or you wonder why the kickoff distance was moved back- the goal posts were moved back, and the next step- take it to the bank- is narrowing the posts? I love Lou "the Toe", but Dawson would have beat his team record in points if he had stuck around for another year & kindly don't give me any shit about 12 game as opposed to 16 game seasons. BTW, Phil is better in every significant category.

    Same reason you can question Jim Brown running over defensive ends that weren't much bigger than he was. You can argue Bo Jackson- had he not suffered a freak injury, was superior to Brown, against superior competition. Bo clocked the 2nd fastest time ever recorded at the combine- Daryl Green is still #1 @ 4.1 and change) - and had enough power to flatten the over rated Brian Bosworth in one of the all-time steamrollings.

    Want to compare eras? Jim Thorpe's (at the time) 1,500 meter world record is 40 seconds slower than the current standard. I'll bet you some serious money the standing High School record is significantly faster.

    @hoorta said:

    Ya- Phil Dawson over Groza or Cockroft for starters. That was then, this is now. The bar is raised- or you wonder why the kickoff distance was moved back- the goal posts were moved back, and the next step- take it to the bank- is narrowing the posts? I love Lou "the Toe", but Dawson would have beat his team record in points if he had stuck around for another year & kindly don't give me any shit about 12 game as opposed to 16 game seasons. BTW, Phil is better in every significant category.

    Same reason you can question Jim Brown running over defensive ends that weren't much bigger than he was. You can argue Bo Jackson- had he not suffered a freak injury, was superior to Brown, against superior competition. Bo clocked the 2nd fastest time ever recorded at the combine- Daryl Green is still #1 @ 4.1 and change) - and had enough power to flatten the over rated Brian Bosworth in one of the all-time steamrollings.

    Want to compare eras? Jim Thorpe's (at the time) 1,500 meter world record is 40 seconds slower than the current standard. I'll bet you some serious money the standing High School record is significantly faster.

    I think a person should not be "graded" against people that came 50-100 years after they played.....but against the competition that played in their era.

    Groza was the most dominant kicker in his era by far against all competition.....Dawson was not.

    Jim Brown was the greatest dominant runner of his era...or any era. Bo Jackson was not.

    Jim Thorpe dominated everyone athletically of his era.

    I mean I am sure 2015 Dodge Viper could probably outperform a 1965 Mustang....but which would you rather have?

  • I'm not sure why you went with Collins over Gillom at punter, especially with Collins already on the roster.

    I think Gillom is the punter. And yes, Dawson over Cockroft for sure. If you want Cockroft on the team, he could backup Gillom at punter, although someone like Chris Gardocki was a better punter than the Cock.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I'm not sure why you went with Collins over Gillom at punter, especially with Collins already on the roster.

    Again, fair enough. I guess I went with Collins because I remember him and not Gillom

    I think Gillom is the punter. And yes, Dawson over Cockroft for sure. If you want Cockroft on the team, he could backup Gillom at punter, although someone like Chris Gardocki was a better punter than the Cock.

    Splitting hairs a bit.....though, no I probably would not put Cockroft at backup P....even though he had more punts than any other Browns player. If you move Gillom to first string P, then I have no problem with Gardocki at backup.....though, both Dave Zastudil and Spencer Lanning have better net averages.

    Zombo

  • So the goal here isn't to make a team of the best browns. Just to make a team of the best browns relative to their competition at the time

  • Interesting topic.....I put Joe T over Groza at tackle. You have Groza in as kicker, and I agree.....Groza was Lou the Toe.....not Lou the Blocker.....I think the Lou Groza award is about kicking. And.....anybody who picks another kicker over Groza is maybe 11 years old or a Mongoloid. Check out the address.

    Also....Jim Brown was FB back in the day, so I would list him as FB and Leroy as HB.

  • @hoorta said:

    Ya- Phil Dawson over Groza or Cockroft for starters. That was then, this is now. The bar is raised- or you wonder why the kickoff distance was moved back- the goal posts were moved back, and the next step- take it to the bank- is narrowing the posts? I love Lou "the Toe", but Dawson would have beat his team record in points if he had stuck around for another year & kindly don't give me any shit about 12 game as opposed to 16 game seasons. BTW, Phil is better in every significant category.

    Same reason you can question Jim Brown running over defensive ends that weren't much bigger than he was. You can argue Bo Jackson- had he not suffered a freak injury, was superior to Brown, against superior competition. Bo clocked the 2nd fastest time ever recorded at the combine- Daryl Green is still #1 @ 4.1 and change) - and had enough power to flatten the over rated Brian Bosworth in one of the all-time steamrollings.

    Want to compare eras? Jim Thorpe's (at the time) 1,500 meter world record is 40 seconds slower than the current standard. I'll bet you some serious money the standing High School record is significantly faster.

    I think a person should not be "graded" against people that came 50-100 years after they played.....but against the competition that played in their era.

    Groza was the most dominant kicker in his era by far against all competition.....Dawson was not.

    Jim Brown was the greatest dominant runner of his era...or any era. Bo Jackson was not.

    Jim Thorpe dominated everyone athletically of his era.

    I mean I am sure 2015 Dodge Viper could probably outperform a 1965 Mustang....but which would you rather have?

    @the-gipper said:

    I think a person should not be "graded" against people that came 50-100 years after they played.....but against the competition that played in their era.

    Groza was the most dominant kicker in his era by far against all competition.....Dawson was not.

    Jim Brown was the greatest dominant runner of his era...or any era. Bo Jackson was not.

    Jim Thorpe dominated everyone athletically of his era.

    I mean I am sure 2015 Dodge Viper could probably outperform a 1965 Mustang....but which would you rather have?

    Sorry- I disagree.

    I'll take a Lamborghini instead of a model T.

  • So the goal here isn't to make a team of the best browns. Just to make a team of the best browns relative to their competition at the time

    @mld-woody said:

    So the goal here isn't to make a team of the best browns. Just to make a team of the best browns relative to their competition at the time

    I am not sure that it is not one and the same.

    I mean, based on size, strength, speed at their peak age John Del Greco could probably outmaneuver Gene Hickerson.....but Gene Hickerson is HOF because of his performance at the time vis a vis his competition. Do you think John Del Greco will become HOF?

    The same for Mitchell Schartz vs. Mike MacCormack.

    And Phil Taylor could probably outmuscle Bill Willis and Len Ford. Should Phil be considered a HOFer?

    While this analysis applies to interior linemen, not so much skill players.

    Do you think the Browns right now could use a 6'2" 232 pound running back with speed, power, agility?

    Or a route running WR like Warfield.

  • Interesting topic.....I put Joe T over Groza at tackle. You have Groza in as kicker, and I agree.....Groza was Lou the Toe.....not Lou the Blocker.....I think the Lou Groza award is about kicking. And.....anybody who picks another kicker over Groza is maybe 11 years old or a Mongoloid. Check out the address.

    Also....Jim Brown was FB back in the day, so I would list him as FB and Leroy as HB.

    @ballpeen said:

    Interesting topic.....I put Joe T over Groza at tackle. You have Groza in as kicker, and I agree.....Groza was Lou the Toe.....not Lou the Blocker.....I think the Lou Groza award is about kicking. And.....anybody who picks another kicker over Groza is maybe 11 years old or a Mongoloid. Check out the address.

    Again, fair argument. (though I am not sure that Lou gets into HOF on basis of his kicking alone)

    Also....Jim Brown was FB back in the day, so I would list him as FB and Leroy as HB.

    I know he was designated the FB.....but he was obviously the "Running Back" when he played....that is why I designated him as such. And Leroy may have also been designated a FB as well, no? Ernie Green was the blocking back for JB....despite being designated the HB.

    Plus, I put him at RB to get Motley in there.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think a person should not be "graded" against people that came 50-100 years after they played.....but against the competition that played in their era.

    Groza was the most dominant kicker in his era by far against all competition.....Dawson was not.

    Jim Brown was the greatest dominant runner of his era...or any era. Bo Jackson was not.

    Jim Thorpe dominated everyone athletically of his era.

    I mean I am sure 2015 Dodge Viper could probably outperform a 1965 Mustang....but which would you rather have?

    Sorry- I disagree.

    I'll take a Lamborghini instead of a model T.

    @hoorta said:

    Sorry- I disagree.

    I'll take a Lamborghini instead of a model T.

    Jim Brown would still be a Lamborghini is this day and age.

    And for all we know, Groza may have performed as well as Dawson if they were teaching the soccer style of kicking in his day.

    And did you see where Ballpeen called you an 11 year old mongoloid? ❗

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is a proposed All time Browns Depth Chart taking each position with a starter and a backup from the all time Browns roster:

    QB Otto Graham, backup Frank Ryan (over Sipe and Kosar)

    FB Marion Motley, backup Mike Pruitt (over Mack)

    RB Jim Brown, backup Leroy Kelly

    WR 1 Paul Warfield, backup Mac Speedie

    WR 2 Dante Lavelli, backup Gary Collins

    TE Ozzie Newsome, backup Milt Morin

    OT1 Lou Groza, backup Joe Thomas

    OT2 Mike MacCormack, backup Dick Shafrath

    OG1 Gene Hickerson, backup Robert Jackson

    OG2 Joe Delamalleure, backup John Wooten

    OC Frank Gatski, backup Tom DeLeone (over Baab, Mack)

    DE1 Len Ford, backup Paul Wiggin

    DE2 Bill Glass, backup Carl Hairston

    DT1 Michael Dean Perry, backup Jerry Sherk

    DT2 Walter Johnson, backup Bob Golic

    OLB1 Clay Matthews, backup Chip Banks

    OLB2 Jim Houston, backup Charlie Hall

    MLB1 Bill Willis, backup Vince Costello

    MLB2 Mike Johnson, backup Dick Ambrose

    CB1 Hanford Dixon, backup Bernie Parrish

    CB2 Frank Minnifield, backup Joe Haden

    SS Clarence Scott, backup Ross Fichtner

    FS Thom Darden, backup Eric Turner

    K Lou Groza, backup Don Cockroft (over Phil Dawson)

    P Gary Collins, backup Horace Gillom

    KR Bobby Mitchell, backup Josh Cribbs

    Any substitutions you would like to make?

    Italics= HOF

    I think some of the selections indicate a quantity of production with the Browns over a shorter, more quality-packed run, which is a good way to go, but If I were doing it "at the peak of his career" of guys that played, say, three years or more with the Browns, then I am starting Sherk over Johnson and Turner over Scott for sure.

    And I'm not sure how Mitchell go the kick return job over Cribbs, but that is highway robbery. Mitchell is a HOF, and was a terrific receiver and running back, but Cribbs is probably the best special teams player in NFL history and holds the Browns Punt and KO return records. About 8,500 more KO return yards a Brown than Mitchell.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I think some of the selections indicate a quantity of production with the Browns over a shorter, more quality-packed run, which is a good way to go, but If I were doing it "at the peak of his career" of guys that played, say, three years or more with the Browns, then I am starting Sherk over Johnson and Turner over Scott for sure.

    Cannot agree more. Prior to his unfortunate knee injury, Jerry Sherk was the most dominant DT ever to play for us. His four straight Pro-Bowl years stand as testament to that.

    Of all the things that do not translate through the years, knee surgery capability has to top the list.

    @the-gipper said:

    Again, fair argument. (though I am not sure that Lou gets into HOF on basis of his kicking alone)

    I know he was designated the FB.....but he was obviously the "Running Back" when he played....that is why I designated him as such. And Leroy may have also been designated a FB as well, no? Ernie Green was the blocking back for JB....despite being designated the HB.

    Plus, I put him at RB to get Motley in there.

    Lou was in fact a very good OT, but I have no doubt his kicking prowess for the time was his ticket to the hall.

    Kelly was always listed as HB. Ernie Green "converted" from HB to FB Kelly's first year as a starter.

    Both Motley and Brown were listed as FBs. Both Motley and Brown were clearly the RB when they were on the field. It's your list, and you can do what you want, but to call one a RB so the other can also start is just a reverse engineered contrivance. Instead follow your own lead and you'll see that the best FB to play for the Browns was Ernie Green. He led the way for two HOF RBs.

    Motley is fine as an alternate RB to JB and LK...

  • Zombo said:

    I think some of the selections indicate a quantity of production with the Browns over a shorter, more quality-packed run, which is a good way to go, but If I were doing it "at the peak of his career" of guys that played, say, three years or more with the Browns, then I am starting Sherk over Johnson and Turner over Scott for sure.

    Cannot agree more. Prior to his unfortunate knee injury, Jerry Sherk was the most dominant DT ever to play for us. His four straight Pro-Bowl years stand as testament to that.

    Of all the things that do not translate through the years, knee surgery capability has to top the list.

    @the-gipper said:

    Again, fair argument. (though I am not sure that Lou gets into HOF on basis of his kicking alone)

    I know he was designated the FB.....but he was obviously the "Running Back" when he played....that is why I designated him as such. And Leroy may have also been designated a FB as well, no? Ernie Green was the blocking back for JB....despite being designated the HB.

    Plus, I put him at RB to get Motley in there.

    Lou was in fact a very good OT, but I have no doubt his kicking prowess for the time was his ticket to the hall.

    Kelly was always listed as HB. Ernie Green "converted" from HB to FB Kelly's first year as a starter.

    Both Motley and Brown were listed as FBs. Both Motley and Brown were clearly the RB when they were on the field. It's your list, and you can do what you want, but to call one a RB so the other can also start is just a reverse engineered contrivance. Instead follow your own lead and you'll see that the best FB to play for the Browns was Ernie Green. He led the way for two HOF RBs.

    Motley is fine as an alternate RB to JB and LK...

    @tour2ma said:

    Cannot agree more. Prior to his unfortunate knee injury, Jerry Sherk was the most dominant DT ever to play for us. His four straight Pro-Bowl years stand as testament to that.

    Of all the things that do not translate through the years, knee surgery capability has to top the list.

    Lou was in fact a very good OT, but I have no doubt his kicking prowess for the time was his ticket to the hall.

    Kelly was always listed as HB. Ernie Green "converted" from HB to FB Kelly's first year as a starter.

    Both Motley and Brown were listed as FBs. Both Motley and Brown were clearly the RB when they were on the field. It's your list, and you can do what you want, but to call one a RB so the other can also start is just a reverse engineered contrivance. Instead follow your own lead and you'll see that the best FB to play for the Browns was Ernie Green. He led the way for two HOF RBs.

    Motley is fine as an alternate RB to JB and LK...

    Yet, the funny thing about Green is that he had really the lighter, slimmer physique that both Brown and Kelly.

    But still, if you say Green was maybe the best blocking back....that still would not make him the best Fullback no? Even if you say that JB, Kelly and Motley were the RBs....what about Mike Pruitt and Kevin Mack? I think they were "fullbacks" who were better than Green....if by better you mean a better runner....not that Green was shabby at running.

    When they played they were in tandem with another "running back" that got their share of carries: Greg Pruitt, Ernest Byner.

  • Here are the Browns Top Ten all time rushers:

    1. Jim Brown 12312 yds

    2. Leroy Kelly 7274

    3. Mike Pruitt 6540

    4. Greg Pruitt 5496

    5. Kevin Mack 5123

    6. Marion Motley 4712

    7. Ernest Byner 3364

    8. Ernie Green 3204

    9. Jamal Lewis 2806

    10. Bobby Mitchell 2297

    per PFR, Mitchell was a designate Halfback/KR when he was with the Browns. When he went to the Redskins he became a "Flanker".

  • @hoorta said:

    Sorry- I disagree.

    I'll take a Lamborghini instead of a model T.

    Jim Brown would still be a Lamborghini is this day and age.

    And for all we know, Groza may have performed as well as Dawson if they were teaching the soccer style of kicking in his day.

    And did you see where Ballpeen called you an 11 year old mongoloid? ❗

    @the-gipper said:

    Jim Brown would still be a Lamborghini is this day and age.

    And for all we know, Groza may have performed as well as Dawson if they were teaching the soccer style of kicking in his day.

    And did you see where Ballpeen called you an 11 year old mongoloid? ❗

    Jim brown outweigh most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now he'd be another Peyton Hillis.

    Auto Grahm would have a hard time beating out Branden weeden for a backup.

  • Jim Brown would probably just be average if he played now. Bug, strong, fast HBs aren't an anomaly now.

    Lou Groza would be a terrible kicker, and in no way better than Dawson.

    If you want the very best team, your depth chart above would not be it

  • @the-gipper said:

    Jim Brown would still be a Lamborghini is this day and age.

    And for all we know, Groza may have performed as well as Dawson if they were teaching the soccer style of kicking in his day.

    And did you see where Ballpeen called you an 11 year old mongoloid? ❗

    Jim brown outweigh most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now he'd be another Peyton Hillis.

    Auto Grahm would have a hard time beating out Branden weeden for a backup.

    @larryfine said:

    Jim brown outweigh most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now he'd be another Peyton Hillis.

    Auto Grahm would have a hard time beating out Branden weeden for a backup.

    Crap, Brown outweighed many defensive linemen. Aren't many 165 pound DBs currently in the NFL for him to run over either. Defenders have since learned you don't tackle a guy by jumping on his back, and trying to trip him. 🙂 JB would be faster and more agile than Hillis, but NOT faster than a healthy Bo Jackson. Oh, he'd be very, very good- but I'd bet he wouldn't be averaging 5+ ypc either.

  • As much as I hate to tout a U of Texas player, there has to be room for Eric Metcalf

    "Overall, Metcalf finished his career with 2,392 rushing yards, 541 receptions for 5,572 yards, 3,453 punt return yards, and 5,813 yards returning kickoffs. This gave him a total of 17,230 all-purpose yards, ranking him among the NFL's top 10 in that category at the time of his retirement. He also scored 55 touchdowns (12 rushing, 31 receiving, ten punt returns, two kickoff returns). His 12 returns for touchdowns are the third most in NFL history behind Devin Hester and Brian Mitchell. Metcalf's 10 punt return touchdowns were an NFL record, until October 2, 2011 when Devin Hester broke it against the Carolina Panthers. He is the only player ever to have 7,000+ yards on offense and 7,000+ yards on kickoff/punt returns."

  • @the-gipper said:

    Jim Brown would still be a Lamborghini is this day and age.

    And for all we know, Groza may have performed as well as Dawson if they were teaching the soccer style of kicking in his day.

    And did you see where Ballpeen called you an 11 year old mongoloid? ❗

    Jim brown outweigh most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now he'd be another Peyton Hillis.

    Auto Grahm would have a hard time beating out Branden weeden for a backup.

    @larryfine said:

    Jim brown outweigh most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now he'd be another Peyton Hillis.

    Auto Grahm would have a hard time beating out Branden weeden for a backup.

    You are as stupid as anyone I have ever seen on this board. I have to assume you are a Steeler fan. No fan of any other team could be as dumb as you come off.