Skip to content

Would you trade our two first round picks for Philip Rivers?

Locked The Browns Board
100 37 3.6k
  • VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #36

    If this happened and I were a Browns fan I would burn all my gear and find a new team. Seriously.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Well I think it's one of these three answers:

    No

    Hell no

    Fuck no.

    WSS

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #38

  • I'd think about it for #19 if a contract extension is involved. However, I've heard from a San Diego writer that Rivers would sooner retire than leave San Diego. He's got plenty of money, four kids, and doesn't want to put them through a relocation. It sounds like he's fairly ingrained in his community.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @osiris said:

    I'd think about it for #19 if a contract extension is involved. However, I've heard from a San Diego writer that Rivers would sooner retire than leave San Diego. He's got plenty of money, four kids, and doesn't want to put them through a relocation. It sounds like he's fairly ingrained in his community.

    It's a non story. He ain't coming here. If he's going anywhere it will be Tennessee or somewhere like that.

  • The stupid rumors always involve the Browns one way or another. A CBS sports analyst has the Browns trading their 12, 43 and fifth round to Redskins for Mariota. That just doesn't make sense to mortgage the future on a rookie unproven and another past his prime. Even if all the Browns needed was a QB, I would still say no. Since last year we have lost TJ Ward, Skrine, Sheard, Cameron and Rubin not to mention Josh Gordon. Shouldn't the front office replace the players we have lost and build on the young talent we retained?

    Rivers would never agree to a deal with Cleveland thank God. He's not happy about the Chargers potential move to L.A. And would opt out in favor of playing on a team closer to his home. So that's how the rumor started with a potential mock trade with San Diego and Tenessee.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @opal312 said:

    A CBS sports analyst has the Browns trading their 12, 43 and fifth round to Redskins for Mariota. That just doesn't make sense to mortgage the future on a rookie

    Even if all the Browns needed was a QB, I would still say no.

    First, a 1st, 2nd, and 5th would be absolutely nothing to get a potential franchise QB. That is NOT mortgaging the future, and I would make that trade yesterday if it was actually on the table...

    ... that would leave us with Mariota, pick 19, a 3rd rounder, 2 4th rounders, 2 6th rounders, and a 7th rounder... plenty of picks to improve our "future"...

    Second, how many other needs do we have? We were 6-3 with "average-at-best" QB play, and then tanked instantly when Hoyer started to lose it... I can see us benefiting from beefing up a bunch of other positions, BUT when you have 10 picks, and 2 of them are 1st rounders, then I think it would be an epic failure if we don't somehow improve our QB situation... even if that means trading 3 picks to get the guy we want...

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    As far as Rivers... no thanks to 2 first rounders... BUT if he's willing to sign a 4-year deal I'd make a reasonable offer...

  • I don't feel educated enough to answer. But those of you saying no, why?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @wargograw said:

    I don't feel educated enough to answer. But those of you saying no, why?

    Besides the age thing (my post above your question) I've always had the feeling that the guy is an asshole... a talented asshole, but an asshole. Case in point:

    "As Philip Rivers does whenever his team doesn’t win, he whines, he cries, and he throws a temper tantrum. The leadership of any football team starts with the quarterback, and that is exactly where the Chargers are weak. It wasn’t necessarily his level of play that cost the Chargers this crucial win, it’s that Rivers is very weak minded. When the going gets tough, he handles it by yelling at his teammates and throwing his helmet: a recipe for disaster. When his back is against the wall, number seventeen likes to point fingers and cause a scene"

    Maybe I would change my mind if he were our asshole, but... no...

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Quit whining and look at what's happened. Chris

    ********************************************************

    Josh Gordon happened. Manziel happened.

    Quit whining, and look what happened. Phil Taylor gets hurt and look what happened.

    Trading our first two picks away for a 33 yr old qb who will be retiring in the near future?

    Not buying it, even for a plug nickel.

    Not saying we should go for Rivers - I would do it for one, but not both - but complaining about needing to replace players we've lost, when most of them *have* been replaced is stupid.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @gftchris said:

    Not saying we should go for Rivers - I would do it for one, but not both - but complaining about needing to replace players we've lost, when most of them *have* been replaced is stupid.

    I agree, if the FO was going to give up #19 for china doll Bradford I would say pull the trigger and bring Rivers here.

    But for both number #1's. . . HELL no!

  • C Captain Cheesedick wrote on last edited by
    #44

    This is a ridiculous topic. We're Browns fans. Let's talk about uniforms and colors.

  • This is a ridiculous topic. We're Browns fans. Let's talk about uniforms and colors.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #45

    The Soldier said:

    This is a ridiculous topic. We're Browns fans. Let's talk about uniforms and colors.

    Touche

  • If this happened and I were a Browns fan I would burn all my gear and find a new team. Seriously.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @vagitron said:

    If this happened and I were a Browns fan I would burn all my gear and find a new team. Seriously.

    You are one annoying fellow.

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #47

    19 and a 4th rounder, pull the trigger. Both 1st rounders? No way

  • mohicanM mohican wrote on last edited by
    #48

    I'd trade our second round pick, Manziel, and Haslam for Phillip Rivers, Maybe even throw in Josh Gordon

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #49

    "I love the smell of smoke screens in the morning. Smells like............Victory!"

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #50

    Tough call but I might. Five years as a contender would be good for business

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
    #51

    19 and thats it. He stated that he isnt going t rene his contract next year. So the ball is not in the Chargers court. If he doesnt agree to sign an extension, then F him. Rivers is an asshole, but would be the best qb we have had in a long time.

  • @vagitron said:

    If this happened and I were a Browns fan I would burn all my gear and find a new team. Seriously.

    You are one annoying fellow.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #52

    @londonbrown said:

    You are one annoying fellow.

    If you'd trade the Browns two firsts this year for Rivers you are a dumb one. You don't trade two firsts for any franchise qb pushing mid 30's and Rivers sure as hell isn't the answer in Cleveland. The Browns would maybe be .500 with him under center. You've got a bunch of journeyman at wr, no proven tight end. Trading two firsts for Rivers would be absolutely mindless.
  • VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #53

    Rivers couldn't win with a hall of famer at rb and tight end. The chargers would probably jump at two firsts to send rivers somewhere.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #54

    Hall of famer at RB? What am I forgetting?

    Also, you think our record only improves by one win adding Phillip freaking Rivers? Wow.

  • Hall of famer at RB? What am I forgetting?

    Also, you think our record only improves by one win adding Phillip freaking Rivers? Wow.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #55

    @wargograw said:

    Hall of famer at RB? What am I forgetting?

    Also, you think our record only improves by one win adding Phillip freaking Rivers? Wow.

    You trade those two firsts. There goes Shelton for example. You have who at receiver to draw coverage? Gordon can't stay on the field. Cameron is gone. You replaced him with housler who is an athletic freak of sorts but isn't an accomplished receiver. The Browns also play in a tough division. Sure he may equate to more than one win but he's not going to make the browns contenders. He may not even get the Browns to a divison title. If you ask me he's an overrated qb, that has never won anything. He throws for a lot of yards which gets him in pro bowls. He's a serial whiner as well. Tomlinson will be in the hall of fame, so will gates. I meant future hall of famers.