Skip to content

Cavs playoffs

The Cavs Board
146 23 11.1k
  • @manzier said:

    you do get its 5 percentage pts - not 50 - right? Little more than a blip between 5 and 50%.

    I think of shooting percentage the same way as batting average out to the thousandths because we aren't talking 10, 100 but hundreds of shots in a season. The difference is as substantial as some hitting .250 vs .300.

    @baconhound said:

    I think of shooting percentage the same way as batting average out to the thousandths because we aren't talking 10, 100 but hundreds of shots in a season. The difference is as substantial as some hitting .250 vs .300.

    So to continue with the baseball analogy, Curry is batting .255, JR .250. Not much difference. Of course there's a huge difference between .250 and .300- but that's not the case JR VS Curry in 3 point percentage.

    LOL, so you want to take it out to 1000 shots to try and make a point? No player in the history of the NBA has ever come close to 1000 threes in a season. Curry is up there alright- at 600+, but if you average that out PER GAME,5 percentage points don't mean jack shit. I'll let you do the advanced math what 600\70 games works out to shot attempts.

  • @baconhound said:

    I think of shooting percentage the same way as batting average out to the thousandths because we aren't talking 10, 100 but hundreds of shots in a season. The difference is as substantial as some hitting .250 vs .300.

    So to continue with the baseball analogy, Curry is batting .255, JR .250. Not much difference. Of course there's a huge difference between .250 and .300- but that's not the case JR VS Curry in 3 point percentage.

    LOL, so you want to take it out to 1000 shots to try and make a point? No player in the history of the NBA has ever come close to 1000 threes in a season. Curry is up there alright- at 600+, but if you average that out PER GAME,5 percentage points don't mean jack shit. I'll let you do the advanced math what 600\70 games works out to shot attempts.

    @hoorta said:

    So to continue with the baseball analogy, Curry is batting .255, JR .250. Not much difference. Of course there's a huge difference between .250 and .300- but that's not the case JR VS Curry in 3 point percentage.

    LOL, so you want to take it out to 1000 shots to try and make a point? No player in the history of the NBA has ever come close to 1000 threes in a season. Curry is up there alright- at 600+, but if you average that out PER GAME,5 percentage points don't mean jack shit. I'll let you do the advanced math what 600\70 games works out to shot attempts.

    No actually Curry is shooting .434 to Smith's .386 which would be the same as batting average based on 1.000 being perfect. Because ABs like 3pt FGA are in the hundreds they don't say he's hitting 25.0% or he's hitting 30.0%. Not a 1000 shots, this is math, decimal place tenths, hundredths and thousandths.

  • @hoorta said:

    So to continue with the baseball analogy, Curry is batting .255, JR .250. Not much difference. Of course there's a huge difference between .250 and .300- but that's not the case JR VS Curry in 3 point percentage.

    LOL, so you want to take it out to 1000 shots to try and make a point? No player in the history of the NBA has ever come close to 1000 threes in a season. Curry is up there alright- at 600+, but if you average that out PER GAME,5 percentage points don't mean jack shit. I'll let you do the advanced math what 600\70 games works out to shot attempts.

    No actually Curry is shooting .434 to Smith's .386 which would be the same as batting average based on 1.000 being perfect. Because ABs like 3pt FGA are in the hundreds they don't say he's hitting 25.0% or he's hitting 30.0%. Not a 1000 shots, this is math, decimal place tenths, hundredths and thousandths.

    @baconhound said:

    No actually Curry is shooting .434 to Smith's .386 which would be the same as batting average based on 1.000 being perfect. Because ABs like 3pt FGA are in the hundreds they don't say he's hitting 25.0% or he's hitting 30.0%. Not a 1000 shots, this is math, decimal place tenths, hundredths and thousandths.

    Then I'd suggest you take a course in remedial math. Hate to tell you, that third decimal place is based on 1,000. No one in the recent history of baseball has come close to batting .434- sorry to tell you- that's a lousy analogy. Thanks for agreeing with me when you get to the third decimal point- it's not significant. It's 5 F**cking % in this case. Curry takes around 9 three point attempts per game. I'll make it 10 to simplify it for you since you're apparently having extreme difficulty understanding the concept. If you're ONLY taking three point percentage into account- averaged over a season Curry is exactly 1.5 points better from beyond the arc than JR. Is that in any given game- a huge difference? Nope. You get into game dynamics where an individual player- like JR hits six or eight out of ten. Oh gee- that's .600- and that is damn significant.'ll leave it at that- I'm not going to belabor the point any further.

  • @hoorta said:

    I hope you realize Smith doesn't play anywhere near the minutes Curry does. For the record Smith (regular season) averaged a 3 pointer for every 11 minutes played. Curry averaged 9 Har, har.

    Seriously, you think I haven't been watching the Western Conference Playoffs? Curry is an improved version of Teague. Almost identical height & weight.

    You haven't been watching if you think Curry and Teague are even in the same league. Curry is the best player on the planet right now, hence the MVP nod over Harden. Curry shoots 3's at a percentage JR Smith can't even sniff he's 50 points higher this post season and 70 points higher for his career. I truly hope you are just going homer on this one.

    @baconhound said:

    Curry is the best player on the planet right now, hence the MVP nod over Harden. Curry shoots 3's at a percentage JR Smith can't even sniff.

    Cmon, he's not even close to the best player on the planet. Thats Lebron by a mile. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

    @baconhound said:

    Don't get your feelings hurt. I wasn't making the case for Curry for MVP was saying that right now he's playing better.

    Except for last night. He sucked balls. If Thompson didnt step up, it would have been over early. I dont see Curry being to carry a team like Lebron can. In all phases. His one dimensional game left him last night and there was nothing else he could do to help his team. I think the best player on the planet should be able to overcome a bad shooting night and lift his team in other ways. Like Lebron did against Atlanta. Curry has a great shot, but thats about all.

  • @baconhound said:

    Curry is the best player on the planet right now, hence the MVP nod over Harden. Curry shoots 3's at a percentage JR Smith can't even sniff.

    Cmon, he's not even close to the best player on the planet. Thats Lebron by a mile. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

    @baconhound said:

    Don't get your feelings hurt. I wasn't making the case for Curry for MVP was saying that right now he's playing better.

    Except for last night. He sucked balls. If Thompson didnt step up, it would have been over early. I dont see Curry being to carry a team like Lebron can. In all phases. His one dimensional game left him last night and there was nothing else he could do to help his team. I think the best player on the planet should be able to overcome a bad shooting night and lift his team in other ways. Like Lebron did against Atlanta. Curry has a great shot, but thats about all.

    @manzier said:

    Cmon, he's not even close to the best player on the planet. Thats Lebron by a mile. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

    Except for last night. He sucked balls. If Thompson didnt step up, it would have been over early. I dont see Curry being to carry a team like Lebron can. In all phases. His one dimensional game left him last night and there was nothing else he could do to help his team. I think the best player on the planet should be able to overcome a bad shooting night and lift his team in other ways. Like Lebron did against Atlanta. Curry has a great shot, but thats about all.

    And it goes to my point- season averages mean nothing in an individual game- one player gets hot, another goes cold.Yeah, we'd have gotten killed if Curry was on- but he wasn't.

    Le Bron was able to overcome his outside shooting slump by driving to the rim, and dishing out assists. People say Le Bron is a whiner, but that was some serious hometown reffing. Him and Moz got positively mugged on a couple of plays, and no call. I still wonder why Blatt sits Timo at the end of games, he's about as good a rim protector and rebounder as TT, and has way more offense- plus he was hot last night.

  • @manzier said:

    Cmon, he's not even close to the best player on the planet. Thats Lebron by a mile. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

    Except for last night. He sucked balls. If Thompson didnt step up, it would have been over early. I dont see Curry being to carry a team like Lebron can. In all phases. His one dimensional game left him last night and there was nothing else he could do to help his team. I think the best player on the planet should be able to overcome a bad shooting night and lift his team in other ways. Like Lebron did against Atlanta. Curry has a great shot, but thats about all.

    And it goes to my point- season averages mean nothing in an individual game- one player gets hot, another goes cold.Yeah, we'd have gotten killed if Curry was on- but he wasn't.

    Le Bron was able to overcome his outside shooting slump by driving to the rim, and dishing out assists. People say Le Bron is a whiner, but that was some serious hometown reffing. Him and Moz got positively mugged on a couple of plays, and no call. I still wonder why Blatt sits Timo at the end of games, he's about as good a rim protector and rebounder as TT, and has way more offense- plus he was hot last night.

    @hoorta said:

    And it goes to my point- season averages mean nothing in an individual game- one player gets hot, another goes cold.Yeah, we'd have gotten killed if Curry was on- but he wasn't.

    Le Bron was able to overcome his outside shooting slump by driving to the rim, and dishing out assists. People say Le Bron is a whiner, but that was some serious hometown reffing. Him and Moz got positively mugged on a couple of plays, and no call. I still wonder why Blatt sits Timo at the end of games, he's about as good a rim protector and rebounder as TT, and has way more offense- plus he was hot last night.

    I'm with ya Larry.. It really bothered Me a bit to see Moz on the bench.. I hope Blatt compensates for whatever adjustments Kerr makes...

  • Wanna dig this one back up. JR Smith isn't close to the same shooter Stephen Curry is and btw best player on the planet!

  • Stephon Curry has bigger balls than LeBron too.. isnt it a shame.. Cleveland always has the worst luck...as long as Curry breathes.. The Cadavers wont win jack shit.

  • Stephon Curry has bigger balls than LeBron too.. isnt it a shame.. Cleveland always has the worst luck...as long as Curry breathes.. The Cadavers wont win jack shit.

    @nickers said:

    Stephon Curry has bigger balls than LeBron too.. isnt it a shame.. Cleveland always has the worst luck...as long as Curry breathes.. The Cadavers wont win jack shit.

    Curry does one thing: shoot the ball into the hoop. Better than anyone else has ever done it, but it is just that one thing.

  • @nickers said:

    Stephon Curry has bigger balls than LeBron too.. isnt it a shame.. Cleveland always has the worst luck...as long as Curry breathes.. The Cadavers wont win jack shit.

    Curry does one thing: shoot the ball into the hoop. Better than anyone else has ever done it, but it is just that one thing.

    @the-gipper said:

    Curry does one thing: shoot the ball into the hoop. Better than anyone else has ever done it, but it is just that one thing.

    And does it so damned good he owns the cadavers psyche.. LeBron or no LeBron.. Blatt or Lue.. it dont matter,,

  • @the-gipper said:

    Curry does one thing: shoot the ball into the hoop. Better than anyone else has ever done it, but it is just that one thing.

    And does it so damned good he owns the cadavers psyche.. LeBron or no LeBron.. Blatt or Lue.. it dont matter,,

    @nickers said:

    And does it so damned good he owns the cadavers psyche.. LeBron or no LeBron.. Blatt or Lue.. it dont matter,,

    Everyone else as well.

  • Go Tribe.

  • Wanna dig this one back up. JR Smith isn't close to the same shooter Stephen Curry is and btw best player on the planet!

    @baconhound said:

    Wanna dig this one back up. JR Smith isn't close to the same shooter Stephen Curry is and btw best player on the planet!

    Curry is perhaps the best pure shooter- ever.

    @nickers said:

    Stephon Curry has bigger balls than LeBron too.. isnt it a shame.. Cleveland always has the worst luck...as long as Curry breathes.. The Cadavers wont win jack shit.

    I'm not digging the Cavs grave this year- yet.

    I agree to the extent if Curry keeps on tossing in 40 footers like he did to beat the Thunder in OT, the Cavs won't have much chance- and neither will anyone else. Speaking of- that game was rigged. At the end of regulation (forgot who) dove right in to KD. Durant went straight up, and got called for a foul, pure BS.

    Curry may be great- but he's surrounded by a team that compliments him perfectly.

  • @baconhound said:

    Wanna dig this one back up. JR Smith isn't close to the same shooter Stephen Curry is and btw best player on the planet!

    Curry is perhaps the best pure shooter- ever.

    @nickers said:

    Stephon Curry has bigger balls than LeBron too.. isnt it a shame.. Cleveland always has the worst luck...as long as Curry breathes.. The Cadavers wont win jack shit.

    I'm not digging the Cavs grave this year- yet.

    I agree to the extent if Curry keeps on tossing in 40 footers like he did to beat the Thunder in OT, the Cavs won't have much chance- and neither will anyone else. Speaking of- that game was rigged. At the end of regulation (forgot who) dove right in to KD. Durant went straight up, and got called for a foul, pure BS.

    Curry may be great- but he's surrounded by a team that compliments him perfectly.

    @hoorta said:

    Curry is perhaps the best pure shooter- ever.

    Glad you are seeing the light 🙂

  • @hoorta said:

    Curry is perhaps the best pure shooter- ever.

    Glad you are seeing the light 🙂

    @baconhound said:

    Glad you are seeing the light 🙂

    Yup- shoots better than anyone else. Needs to keep it up for around another 5 years before I get impressed. He's not even in the top 250 all time in scoring- yet. I doubt he'll ever catch LeBron in rebounds or assists. BTW, LBJ passed Duncan tonight, and he's gonna pass Havlicek on Monday.

    Curry will need around another 10 seasons to get to 30,000 points, and I'd bet right now he won't get there. I'll put James as a mortal lock to get to that level.

  • @baconhound said:

    Glad you are seeing the light 🙂

    Yup- shoots better than anyone else. Needs to keep it up for around another 5 years before I get impressed. He's not even in the top 250 all time in scoring- yet. I doubt he'll ever catch LeBron in rebounds or assists. BTW, LBJ passed Duncan tonight, and he's gonna pass Havlicek on Monday.

    Curry will need around another 10 seasons to get to 30,000 points, and I'd bet right now he won't get there. I'll put James as a mortal lock to get to that level.

    @hoorta said:

    Yup- shoots better than anyone else. Needs to keep it up for around another 5 years before I get impressed. He's not even in the top 250 all time in scoring- yet. I doubt he'll ever catch LeBron in rebounds or assists. BTW, LBJ passed Duncan tonight, and he's gonna pass Havlicek on Monday.

    Curry will need around another 10 seasons to get to 30,000 points, and I'd bet right now he won't get there. I'll put James as a mortal lock to get to that level.

    Never thought Curry would have the career of Lebron. Curry's first 4 years were good but not great.

  • @hoorta said:

    Yup- shoots better than anyone else. Needs to keep it up for around another 5 years before I get impressed. He's not even in the top 250 all time in scoring- yet. I doubt he'll ever catch LeBron in rebounds or assists. BTW, LBJ passed Duncan tonight, and he's gonna pass Havlicek on Monday.

    Curry will need around another 10 seasons to get to 30,000 points, and I'd bet right now he won't get there. I'll put James as a mortal lock to get to that level.

    Never thought Curry would have the career of Lebron. Curry's first 4 years were good but not great.

    @baconhound said:

    Never thought Curry would have the career of Lebron. Curry's first 4 years were good but not great.

    Cavs fans take heart. The Warriors aren't invincible. The Los Angeles Fakers laid the biggest upset in NBA history on them.

  • So what do we currently think of the Cavs chances in the Playoffs after performances like this?

    https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-s-big-night-salvages-ot-win-for-poor-shooting-cavs-044349773.html

    Better than before, worse, the same?

  • So what do we currently think of the Cavs chances in the Playoffs after performances like this?

    https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-s-big-night-salvages-ot-win-for-poor-shooting-cavs-044349773.html

    Better than before, worse, the same?

    @tinythinker said:

    So what do we currently think of the Cavs chances in the Playoffs after performances like this?

    https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-s-big-night-salvages-ot-win-for-poor-shooting-cavs-044349773.html

    Better than before, worse, the same?

    Well, Frye is a definite upgrade over Varejao- BUT. (from that article)

    "That's not to say that the Cavs looked any more prepared to beat the eventual West champion in a seven-game series. Irving (5-of-23 FG) and Kevin Love (5-of-11 FG, nine of which were threes) struggled to get involved with any consistency and looked less integral to the team structure than role players Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith. Cleveland played well at the defensive end but shot only 39.8 percent."

    I may have to give Kyrie a pass because he's been dealing with a cold (sounded terrible in a post game interview after the Rockets loss) but 20% shooting isn't going to get it done. As usual, Love got abused on the defensive end. So in order to beat the Warriors (or anyone else) in the playoffs Irving and Love have to be firing on all cylinders to have a shot.

    I did watch a significant part of the Celtics- Warriors game, and kudos to Boston for winning. It got mentioned over on the Browns Forum by another poster- and I agree, the way to beat Golden State is not necessarily to shoot the lights out, but play great perimeter defense & make Thompson and Curry take contested shots. And I couldn't believe the looks on those Warrior's fans faces after they lost- they looked like their dog just died- or worse. Sheeze guys, you actually lost a game at home- it happens occasionally. GS gets knocked out of the playoffs, they had better post guards on the Golden Gate for suicide watch. Um- if the Lakers can beat the Warriors when they're having an off shooting night- anyone can. It's going to be a tall order for a team to hope they'll go flat in a seven game series- and they'll have home court over anyone who comes out of the East.

  • I believe the have will go to the finals but I don't like their chances against golden state or San Antonio