Skip to content

Secondary prospects

The Browns Board
32 11 2.1k
  • New Orleans at #14 would seem to be a good spot for Jenkins. The Saints need help at cornerback and safety, and Jenkins will end up filling one of those spots.

    A favorite pick for them had been another Buckeye, James Laurinaitis, but his poor combine will push him lower than #14.

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Like WPB, I am a fan of Chung and would spend our second round pick on a guy who is a clone of Palomalu. He's one SS moving up the charts. To many, SS is a priority ingredient for a successful 3-4 defense.

    Chung plays like Polamalu, but he's not as effective. I need to watch some more of him...but from what I saw, dude can get knocked on his butt by big running backs. He's got that headhunter mentality, but he may end up being more impressive (with his hits) than productive in his overall game.

    Aloysius said:

    Chung plays like Polamalu, but he's not as effective. I need to watch some more of him...but from what I saw, dude can get knocked on his butt by big running backs. He's got that headhunter mentality, but he may end up being more impressive (with his hits) than productive in his overall game.

    People said that about Bob Sanders and Polamalu, sometimes you just have to work a guy out, look at his body of work and guage his love of the game. Nobody is a sure thing.

  • Aloysius said:

    Chung plays like Polamalu, but he's not as effective. I need to watch some more of him...but from what I saw, dude can get knocked on his butt by big running backs. He's got that headhunter mentality, but he may end up being more impressive (with his hits) than productive in his overall game.

    People said that about Bob Sanders and Polamalu, sometimes you just have to work a guy out, look at his body of work and guage his love of the game. Nobody is a sure thing.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    People said that about Bob Sanders and Polamalu, sometimes you just have to work a guy out, look at his body of work and guage his love of the game. Nobody is a sure thing.

    Before the knock on Chung was he was too small....then we found out he was BIGGER than Palomalu. Now it turns out he is running 4.5 40's at 212 lbs...among the fastest at the combine...not to mention 25 reps with 225 (3rd best for S)...

    I also seem to remember a hit he put on in the Senior Bowl I believe. He hit a TE (260+ guy) and LEVELED him...and Chung never went down.

    I think any knocks on this guy are now more to do with the way he was utilized by the Ducks than any lack in his game.

    He has proven he has strength, speed, coverage ability, and can lay the wood. Not sure what else he needs to show.

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    People said that about Bob Sanders and Polamalu, sometimes you just have to work a guy out, look at his body of work and guage his love of the game. Nobody is a sure thing.

    Before the knock on Chung was he was too small....then we found out he was BIGGER than Palomalu. Now it turns out he is running 4.5 40's at 212 lbs...among the fastest at the combine...not to mention 25 reps with 225 (3rd best for S)...

    I also seem to remember a hit he put on in the Senior Bowl I believe. He hit a TE (260+ guy) and LEVELED him...and Chung never went down.

    I think any knocks on this guy are now more to do with the way he was utilized by the Ducks than any lack in his game.

    He has proven he has strength, speed, coverage ability, and can lay the wood. Not sure what else he needs to show.

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I also seem to remember a hit he put on in the Senior Bowl I believe. He hit a TE (260+ guy) and LEVELED him...and Chung never went down.

    He also got planted on his ass by RB-FB Quinn Johnson earlier in the game.

    I need to see more of him. But my impression is that he's the kind of guy who delivers nice head-first hits but can also get pushed back by big runners.

  • Pete Carroll said Polamalu was the best college player he's ever coached.

    Everyone was acknowledging at the time that Sanders would be a first rounder if he was only bigger.

    I really don't think Chung is the same type of player as those two. But if he ends up in multiple Pro Bowls I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

  • New Orleans at #14 would seem to be a good spot for Jenkins. The Saints need help at cornerback and safety, and Jenkins will end up filling one of those spots.

    A favorite pick for them had been another Buckeye, James Laurinaitis, but his poor combine will push him lower than #14.

    Aloysius said:

    New Orleans at #14 would seem to be a good spot for Jenkins.

    I'm going to be interested to see if Buffalo can resist the temptation to take yet another Buckeye secondary player with the 11th pick. I know McGee is a tough player and McKelvin is a stud, they also took a corner named Corner last year. So they might not need it. But they sure do like their OSU DB's.

  • Don't surprised if NO takes beanie @14

  • Watched some more of Chung today. To me, he looks like a 3rd Round talent. He's been more durable than Sean Jones, but he's far less talented.

    I heard Mayock make an interesting comment about Chung's play at the Senior Bowl: he said that Chung looked good in press coverage, but he was less than adequate when asked to play off a guy.

    Not sure if that translates to success in our defense.

  • I'd have him somewhere between picks #55 and #75.

  • His teammate, T.J. Ward, could be an interesting guy to watch next year. If Pool doesn't play well, we could end up drafting this guy somewhere in rounds 2-4 - that's if we don't scoop up Eric Berry, Morgan Burnett, or Taylor Mays in Round 1.

  • I think Berry is the best safety prospect since Polamalu and Reed. He's that good.

  • I agree. As I've told Dennis, he was the only reason Tennessee was watchable last year.

  • Watched some more of Chung today. To me, he looks like a 3rd Round talent. He's been more durable than Sean Jones, but he's far less talented.

    I heard Mayock make an interesting comment about Chung's play at the Senior Bowl: he said that Chung looked good in press coverage, but he was less than adequate when asked to play off a guy.

    Not sure if that translates to success in our defense.

    Aloysius said:

    Watched some more of Chung today. To me, he looks like a 3rd Round talent. He's been more durable than Sean Jones, but he's far less talented.

    I heard Mayock make an interesting comment about Chung's play at the Senior Bowl: he said that Chung looked good in press coverage, but he was less than adequate when asked to play off a guy.

    Not sure if that translates to success in our defense.

    That's why he is a SS and not a FS. He is faster then Jones, covers better then Jones, is more durable then Jones, hits harder then Jones and is cheaper then Jones.

    Saying he is far less talented then Jones is questionable since Jones can't cover anybody, isn't fast enough to provide the 2 deep coverage he is suppose to and is always hurt so he doesn't hit anymore. And, now he wants big bucks and at least a 4 year contract

  • Add "when healthy" to my post, and it makes a lot more sense, Ytown.

    I'd agree that Chung makes more Tayloresque helmet-first hits in coverage. But when it comes to run support, I think a healthy Sean Jones is better; his size and strength play a big part in that.

    And when healthy, Sean Jones is much more of a ballhawk than Chung. Jones had 9 picks in the last two years, while Chung only had 3.

    I don't have a problem with anyone saying that Jones isn't worth the money he wants, especially when his semi-chronic knee issues can seriously hinder his play. But I don't think Chung would completely replace what a healthy Jones brings to our defense.

    Maybe I just haven't watched the right games. IIRC, I've watched the USC, Cal, and Oklahoma State games, as well as the Senior Bowl. If Chung had a signature game in which he showed elite skills, please let me know & I'll try to watch it.

  • Aloy...watch much of Louis Delmas??/

  • Aloy...watch much of Louis Delmas??/

    @solon16 said:

    Aloy...watch much of Louis Delmas??/

    No, none at all. Which is frustrating, given that he's a guy who might make sense at the top of Round 2.

    Here are some good reports on how Chung and Delmas performed at the Senior Bowl practices:

    Pat Chung presented himself as a hard-hitting safety and threw his body around the field most of the week. He lacks the top range and speed to the flanks and was best when the action was in front of him or when he was defending the run. He's likely a third round pick for a zone safety defense.

    Louis Delmas was terrific and exceeded our expectations. He was physical, showed coverage skills and excellent leadership skills on the field. He relentlessly threw his body around the field and was constantly in the right place at the right time. There's no doubt he improved his draft stock anywhere from 15 slots to a full round based on his performance.

    Delmas's 12 reps of 225 are somewhat worrisome, though his 6.67 3-cone is pretty awesome.

  • when he ets paid to lift weights for a living he'll be much stronger...I never worry bout that stuff.

  • @solon16 said:

    Aloy...watch much of Louis Delmas??/

    No, none at all. Which is frustrating, given that he's a guy who might make sense at the top of Round 2.

    Here are some good reports on how Chung and Delmas performed at the Senior Bowl practices:

    Pat Chung presented himself as a hard-hitting safety and threw his body around the field most of the week. He lacks the top range and speed to the flanks and was best when the action was in front of him or when he was defending the run. He's likely a third round pick for a zone safety defense.

    Louis Delmas was terrific and exceeded our expectations. He was physical, showed coverage skills and excellent leadership skills on the field. He relentlessly threw his body around the field and was constantly in the right place at the right time. There's no doubt he improved his draft stock anywhere from 15 slots to a full round based on his performance.

    Delmas's 12 reps of 225 are somewhat worrisome, though his 6.67 3-cone is pretty awesome.

    Aloysius said:

    :

    Delmas's 12 reps of 225 are somewhat worrisome, though his 6.67 3-cone is pretty awesome.

    I think Safeties should be stronger than that but then I stop and think of Jack Tatum. A corner coming out of OSU at 5'10" and 190 lbs. To this day one of the greatest tacklers and hardest hitting safeties in the NFL.

    Really laying the wood to guys is technique.

    I haven't seen him much but If Chung is this kind of Safety I'd love to see him here. Make those WR's fear coming across the middle. A Brown's safety hasn't put that kind of fear in WR's in a long, long time.

  • On my list of 2010 safety prospects, I should have included VTech's Kam Chancellor. He played cornerback and rover before settling in at free safety last year.

    Even if he plays poorly next year, he's going to impress a lot of people at the combine: it's not often you find a guy who's 6'4", 224 lbs. & athletic enough to play safety.

    Looks like he'll be part of an incredible safety class next year. That's something to remember if we end up signing a mid-level guy like James Sanders and don't draft a safety this year. We can go cheap now, then draft a solid guy next year if it doesn't work out.

  • I'm with you 100% on this one Al.

    Let's bring in a decent guy on a 2 year deal and draft someone to fill the hole.

    Most FAs are overpriced and on the downside of their careers, let's not overspend if we don't have to.