Skip to content

Does Winslow trade give insight into Anderson's worth?

The Browns Board
12 10 1.1k
  • In Winslow, despite injuries, the Bucs get a top ranked tight end, a big splash player, a TE talent not available in this year's draft. He'll sell jerseys like crazy being back home in Florida and will create postive buzz for the franchise from now until the season starts.

    Then there's Anderson, who has slipped from his '07 season statistically and is frankly kind of boring. From a PR standpoint, the signing of Anderson is a sleeper comparitively. He's a quiet personality, much more Sage Rosenfels-like than Winslow-like.

    So, I'm thinking this takes our chances on a 2nd round pick for DA down a notch or two. A third rounder may be the best we can hope for, or more likely what the Vikings gave for Rosenfels - a 4th round pick.

    Hmmm. Not sure its worth parting ways with Anderson for a 4th round pick or higher. Second or Third - yes. Fourth - I guess. Fifth or higher would require the addition of a player in the deal as well.

  • If we are offered anything less then a 3rd rounder then we maybe better to keep him.

  • I think it would be hard to get a gun like DA in even the first round he has vast experience and a few bad habits that need correction i would find it hard to part with him for less then a low 2nd but would settle for a high 3rd..a 4th rounder?No way..

    I dont think DA is going anywhere at least not until after training camp..but i thought mankok would dump butterfingers before KW2 so who knows...πŸ™‚

  • I think it would be hard to get a gun like DA in even the first round he has vast experience and a few bad habits that need correction i would find it hard to part with him for less then a low 2nd but would settle for a high 3rd..a 4th rounder?No way..

    I dont think DA is going anywhere at least not until after training camp..but i thought mankok would dump butterfingers before KW2 so who knows...πŸ™‚

    @gips said:

    a 4th rounder?No way..

    Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you there Gips. A fourth rounder doesn't do a whole lot for me either as the Browns would have to bank on a 4th round diamond in the rough for it to pan out.

  • This cant be a serious thread.

    One QB's have a much more difficult position than a recieving non blocking tight end. Teams pay out insane money on the hope and dream they MIGHT work out.

    DA is worth a high to mid second rounder easy because he IS a good YOUNG backup qb who has shown glimpses of talent with a rocket arm that is POSSIBLE to still develop into a starter. Probowl and 10 wins saddled with a crap defense is better data than college statistics.

  • Not sure I agree with you, but I'd be very happy to be dead wrong on this one.

  • Just to differentiate between DA and Sage; DA has started a whole season in the NFL. People on both sides of this argument can say what they will about that season and last season, but don't discount that. Sage has never played more than 9 games in any one season. Plus he is 5 years older than DA. Generally I would think more experience combined with being younger would equal more value.

  • If we are offered anything less then a 3rd rounder then we maybe better to keep him.

    @plumcrazy73 said:

    If we are offered anything less then a 3rd rounder then we maybe better to keep him.

    Hell and I can't believe I'm saying this but a 3rd may even be too low. He's a formidable back up and someone that can step in and no the offense. Leftwich came in and got it done for us this past season and Batch has done it time and time again. Having a good backup QB is paramount in my opinion. I'd just keep the dude.

  • @plumcrazy73 said:

    If we are offered anything less then a 3rd rounder then we maybe better to keep him.

    Hell and I can't believe I'm saying this but a 3rd may even be too low. He's a formidable back up and someone that can step in and no the offense. Leftwich came in and got it done for us this past season and Batch has done it time and time again. Having a good backup QB is paramount in my opinion. I'd just keep the dude.

    @snatch98 said:

    Hell and I can't believe I'm saying this but a 3rd may even be too low. He's a formidable back up and someone that can step in and no the offense. Leftwich came in and got it done for us this past season and Batch has done it time and time again. Having a good backup QB is paramount in my opinion. I'd just keep the dude.

    You cant keep someone that through variouse comments made that implies he does not want to be here...Both Anderson and Quinn want to start...If you were a starter and asked to play 2nd fiddle Id doubt youd want to stay either...If we got a 4th pic for DA Id be happy...anytime you can trade someone for a higher value pick than where Anderson was drafted (6th RND) Its a positive plus for your team...

  • I would take ten bags of mulch for boat shoes

  • I thought about that some yesterday and came to the conclusion is doesn't have much bearing.

    First, you always pay a premium for a qb. It is easier to find a TE who can play v a qb who can play.

    Then, each team is different. How one may value DA isn't going to change because of what we took for Winslow.

    Lastly, how we value the two also plays a big part. It very well could be we don't want a TE like Winslow and are looking for a big, blocking type where receiving ability is secondary....shoot....Rucker may not fill the mold.

    I do know we value a qb...be it a starter or a back-up.

    No matter your view on Anderson's abilities, nobody can say he doesn't fit EVERY requirement of being a solid back-up. If you do it is simply a matter of ego interfering with making sound football judgments.

  • Even with his flaws, Anderson is still worth a 2 or a 3. We will keep him without adequate compensation. Seriously... we are paying a 5mil. bonus, we are not just going to turn around and dump him.. He is worth too much to us... he is young, big gun, and still has tremendous upside with the right coaching. If we trade him fine. If not.. fine, there will be a team in the market at some point.