Skip to content

James Sanders

The Browns Board
24 7 2.0k
  • mikeyP72 said:

    I'd rather draft young talent than settle for mediocre in FA, honestly.

    Same here i prefer 99% of our players come from the draft but we will still need FAs for temporary stopgap plug ins to round the team out for a couple years but i trust mankok to make the right decisions on who and when..

    I like both butler and sanders as stopgaps.. butler may be overall more ball savvy than sanders and both are a minor upgrade over jones i think butler helps give the cbs the safety valve jones often fails to be..

  • By the way, word is that Sanders got a better offer from another team and isn't likely to sign with the Browns.

  • By the way, word is that Sanders got a better offer from another team and isn't likely to sign with the Browns.

    Aloysius said:

    By the way, word is that Sanders got a better offer from another team and isn't likely to sign with the Browns.

    With the new browns concept of work ethic and discipline instead of "theres a nice warm bench waiting for you"we arent really packin em into berea like savage did...hehehehehe 😉

    Off the point i know but i couldnt resist!

  • Sanders is competent, but a step down from Jones. You should always be upgrading, and he's not an upgrade.

    That said, it's a lean safety year in the draft and free agency and you've got to put the best player on the field that you can given your cap restraints. Maybe it's Sanders.

  • By the way, word is that Sanders got a better offer from another team and isn't likely to sign with the Browns.

    Aloysius said:

    By the way, word is that Sanders got a better offer from another team and isn't likely to sign with the Browns.

    I was a little confused about that update. They said he might go back to the Giants or sign with the Rams. It sounds like they confused him with James Butler.

  • Agreed about him being a step down from a healthy Sean Jones. But I think he'd be better in run support than James Butler, the guy it looks like we'll end up signing.

  • Aloysius said:

    By the way, word is that Sanders got a better offer from another team and isn't likely to sign with the Browns.

    I was a little confused about that update. They said he might go back to the Giants or sign with the Rams. It sounds like they confused him with James Butler.

    @eersandbrowns said:

    I was a little confused about that update. They said he might go back to the Giants or sign with the Rams. It sounds like they confused him with James Butler.

    I think the original report was about Sanders; the problem was when the local Cleveland guy tried to add commentary and got confused.

  • haven't heard sean jones lighting up the visits....? We gonna resign him or Adams??? anyone?

  • Agreed about him being a step down from a healthy Sean Jones. But I think he'd be better in run support than James Butler, the guy it looks like we'll end up signing.

    Aloysius said:

    Agreed about him being a step down from a healthy Sean Jones. But I think he'd be better in run support than James Butler, the guy it looks like we'll end up signing.

    I don't profess to know a lot about either but I remember the Giants in the Super Bowl and Butler had a great game. I love his size. When I have seen him play he seemed to do a good job in run support. I think both are better cover men then Jones.

  • What's nice about Butler is that he has the speed to come down from playing deep safety and make plays. In the game against the Browns, he had a nice play where he raced down and tackled Jamal Lewis for a 2-3 yard gain.

    The problem is that, for his size, Butler isn't particularly physical. On Jerome Harrison's long run in that game, Hank Fraley kept on pushing Butler backwards out of the play. And while he isn't a poor tackler, he's not going to knock guys back like Sanders is capable of doing.

    Speaking of Sanders, the Browns reportedly have made a counter-offer. Though he's not a perfect option, I'm really hoping we get him.

  • Sanders re-signs with the Pats.

  • Maybe it is going to take Jones and Adams to go out and find what their true value is before the Browns talk to them. Personally I'd rather move on. I think I'd look SS in round 2 before I'd resign Jones.

    As you know, I like Patrick Chung. But, getting Butler would free us up to take a RB or center with that extra 2nd round pick.

  • Adams is a Good Backup tho...I'd like to keep him.

  • Sanders is about to re-sign with the Pats. Should be announced today or tomorrow.

  • Sanders is about to re-sign with the Pats. Should be announced today or tomorrow.

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    Sanders is about to re-sign with the Pats. Should be announced today or tomorrow.

    hmmmm...don't you read the previous posted messages??? just a tad late!

  • Adams is a Good Backup tho...I'd like to keep him.

    @solon16 said:

    Adams is a Good Backup tho...I'd like to keep him.

    Actually he is very valuable. He is super on special teams and can backup either position and play in the dime defense. I'd try to keep him, unless he is asking for starter money.

  • @heckofajobbrownie said:

    Sanders is about to re-sign with the Pats. Should be announced today or tomorrow.

    hmmmm...don't you read the previous posted messages??? just a tad late!

    @solon16 said:

    hmmmm...don't you read the previous posted messages??? just a tad late!

    Wow. Alo's got even better sources than I do.

  • Sanders re-signs with the Pats.

    Aloysius said:

    Sanders re-signs with the Pats.
    The Patriots have agreed to terms with safety James Sanders on a three-year contract.

    Sanders, 25, turned down more money elsewhere to return to the Patriots.

    Sanders' agent, Steve Feldman, confirmed the agreement.

    "It gives him a chance to grow and become a playmaker," Feldman said. "He stays in the same system with a championship team. They know him. He knows them. It was the right fit."

    Sanders, who enters his fifth NFL season, started all 14 games in which he played last year. He was credited by Patriots coaches with 66 tackles, sixth best on the team, and added one interception.

    In the past, Sanders has been credited by Patriots coaches with aiding the overall communication of the secondary, as his knowledge of the overall defense is considered valuable.

    He is a projected starter at safety for 2009 alongside Brandon Meriweather.

    I wonder if we're the team that offered more money.

    -Al

  • Yep, that was us. But the folks over at the OBR are reporting that the difference between what we and the Pats were offering wasn't too significant.

  • SI.com reported that we made an offer and it seems he used us to get the Pats to up their offer.

    Not really unusual for FA. Bart Scott did it to us a few years back. Players who want to stay with their teams go out and get a legit offer higher then their team was offering and try to use it to get a better offer from their team.

    Basically, you are a whore, but that's how the game is played.