Skip to content

Heath Farwell, LB

The Browns Board
21 9 1.5k
  • why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

  • why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    @dj_illness said:

    why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    Huh?

  • why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    @dj_illness said:

    why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    If we can get a couple of D players that are backups by nature...that can handle the ST play and get Cribbs freed up...Cribbs can make the transition to an every down player...at S or WR.

    It only makes sense that if you are going to take your best KR/PR and gunner out of the ST lineup...you have to replace him with good players.

  • Larry Izzo.

  • @dj_illness said:

    why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    If we can get a couple of D players that are backups by nature...that can handle the ST play and get Cribbs freed up...Cribbs can make the transition to an every down player...at S or WR.

    It only makes sense that if you are going to take your best KR/PR and gunner out of the ST lineup...you have to replace him with good players.

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    If we can get a couple of D players that are backups by nature...that can handle the ST play and get Cribbs freed up...Cribbs can make the transition to an every down player...at S or WR.

    It only makes sense that if you are going to take your best KR/PR and gunner out of the ST lineup...you have to replace him with good players.

    I keep getting burned deep for daring to assume cribbs would make a brutal safety and may benifit the team far more as one steppedontoe could take over returns because he stinks as a WR...

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    If we can get a couple of D players that are backups by nature...that can handle the ST play and get Cribbs freed up...Cribbs can make the transition to an every down player...at S or WR.

    It only makes sense that if you are going to take your best KR/PR and gunner out of the ST lineup...you have to replace him with good players.

    I keep getting burned deep for daring to assume cribbs would make a brutal safety and may benifit the team far more as one steppedontoe could take over returns because he stinks as a WR...

    @gips said:

    I keep getting burned deep for daring to assume cribbs would make a brutal safety and may benifit the team far more as one steppedontoe could take over returns because he stinks as a WR...

    I also think Cribbs could be a monster safety. Such a great tackler and he's also so instictive.

    As far as return guys, isn't Dante Hall a free agent?

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    If we can get a couple of D players that are backups by nature...that can handle the ST play and get Cribbs freed up...Cribbs can make the transition to an every down player...at S or WR.

    It only makes sense that if you are going to take your best KR/PR and gunner out of the ST lineup...you have to replace him with good players.

    I keep getting burned deep for daring to assume cribbs would make a brutal safety and may benifit the team far more as one steppedontoe could take over returns because he stinks as a WR...

    @gips said:

    I keep getting burned deep for daring to assume cribbs would make a brutal safety and may benifit the team far more as one steppedontoe could take over returns because he stinks as a WR...

    There's a reason they brought in Carr. He is a backup DB and ranked better then Cribbs in Punt Returns and kickoff returns. I think the goal is to free up Cribbs so he can play more offense and defense.

  • why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    @dj_illness said:

    why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    It's not hype about special teams only. It's the type of players they want on this team. Situational players that are overachievers with no quit in them. These are guys who play full out and accept their role and give 100% all day long. These are the hard nose guys that this team lacks.

  • According to the guys at the OBR, Farwell has left Berea & did not receive a contract offer.

  • why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    @dj_illness said:

    why all the special teams hype?

    (this guy, let's let Cribbs do everything)

    is that really an area that needs focus?

    good players anywhere are great, it's just like.....ok, special teams. uh. cool.

    We weren't a good football team.

    It wasn't just the starters who weren't good....it was the whole team or some of those back-ups would have been playing more.

    Building a roster isn't just a top down process. You also build from the bottom up.

    I don't care how good your team is...16-0 and run the playoffs....you always have a weakest player.

    A good building program is to build up all the roster spots when and where you can, and if that means nothing more than improving the last 5 slots on the team, then that is what you do.

    Face it....this isn't a strong FA class at the top of the roster. Some of those guys may be better than some that we have, but not so much better you tie up money just to make a splash. That's stupid.

    Build the bottom if that is all that is available because unless the tooth fairy is real, you can't wish for things to get better.

  • According to the guys at the OBR, Farwell has left Berea & did not receive a contract offer.

    Aloysius said:

    According to the guys at the OBR, Farwell has left Berea & did not receive a contract offer.

    Hmmmm....maybe just spin and he didn't want to sign....I find it odd one wouldn't be offered, which is how I take your comment.

    I don't know....maybe he said some things that just made us say "I hope you enjoyed lunch, good luck."

    It seems odd that a few parameters weren't established before bringing him in.....both team and players don't want to waste time. This isn't like HS recruiting where players know darn good and well they aren't signing there but figure they want to take the weekend trip.

  • Aloysius said:

    According to the guys at the OBR, Farwell has left Berea & did not receive a contract offer.

    Hmmmm....maybe just spin and he didn't want to sign....I find it odd one wouldn't be offered, which is how I take your comment.

    I don't know....maybe he said some things that just made us say "I hope you enjoyed lunch, good luck."

    It seems odd that a few parameters weren't established before bringing him in.....both team and players don't want to waste time. This isn't like HS recruiting where players know darn good and well they aren't signing there but figure they want to take the weekend trip.

    @ballpeen said:

    "I hope you enjoyed lunch, good luck."

    Do we think these meals ever take place and Corky and Lenny's? I think that's where I'd want to go to be 'wooed.'

  • Aloysius said:

    According to the guys at the OBR, Farwell has left Berea & did not receive a contract offer.

    Hmmmm....maybe just spin and he didn't want to sign....I find it odd one wouldn't be offered, which is how I take your comment.

    I don't know....maybe he said some things that just made us say "I hope you enjoyed lunch, good luck."

    It seems odd that a few parameters weren't established before bringing him in.....both team and players don't want to waste time. This isn't like HS recruiting where players know darn good and well they aren't signing there but figure they want to take the weekend trip.

    @ballpeen said:

    Hmmmm....maybe just spin and he didn't want to sign....I find it odd one wouldn't be offered, which is how I take your comment.

    My guess: he made it clear that he's looking for a chance to compete for a starting job, and the Browns weren't willing to promise him that.

  • @ballpeen said:

    "I hope you enjoyed lunch, good luck."

    Do we think these meals ever take place and Corky and Lenny's? I think that's where I'd want to go to be 'wooed.'

    mz. said:

    Do we think these meals ever take place and Corky and Lenny's? I think that's where I'd want to go to be 'wooed.'

    corky & lenny's, man, that's a place i haven't thought of in years. one of the few things i miss about ohio. great deli. corned beef or pastrami sandwiches with the meat piled so high that it falls off the bread, just the way a sandwich should be.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Hmmmm....maybe just spin and he didn't want to sign....I find it odd one wouldn't be offered, which is how I take your comment.

    My guess: he made it clear that he's looking for a chance to compete for a starting job, and the Browns weren't willing to promise him that.

    Aloysius said:

    My guess: he made it clear that he's looking for a chance to compete for a starting job, and the Browns weren't willing to promise him that.

    I don't know man.....why would a coach say that???

    You won't let somebody compete for a starting job???

    I don't buy that.

    Now....if the guy was seeking some assurance he would be starting, that is another matter.

  • Well, if we're talking to D'Qwell about a contract extension, we may not be going around telling guys, "You know what? We think you could compete to be our starting Mike."

    Another possibility is that the visit was more about checking out his knee; he missed all of last season after tearing an ACL.

  • I buy the knee part.....but if we are telling people they can't compete for a starting job, we need to be out of the football business.

    It may be we told him that is where we saw him, and he was smart enough to know he would be looking at back-up......but we didn't tell him he couldn't compete for a starting job.

  • I'm not sure I agree with you, 'peen. You don't tell a guy who has no shot at starting that he has a shot at starting. That's how controversy and disenchantment start. A guy should know his role and what a realistic expectation of it, and its ceiling, is from Day One IMO.

  • People can agree with you all they want, but I disagree.

    You don't lie, but you don't tell a person they have no shot.

    That takes away all incentive to excel.

    I know I am right, so I am done.....and I don't usually say that