Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Torry Holt

Torry Holt

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
21 Posts 16 Posters 2.1k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • ATENEARS ATENEARSA Founder In Memoriam
    • 4k Posts
    • 139 Reputation
    ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I think Holt would be an excellent pick-up for us. The kid has great work ethic that could hopefully rub off on Braylon. Braylon stretching long and Holt filling a consistient #2 role ... sounds like a great pairing to me.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Rooster Dick Rooster DickR
      • 411 Posts
      • 12 Reputation
      Rooster DickR Rooster Dick wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I agree, I would take Holt in a heartbeat

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • ClevelandFanForLife ClevelandFanForLifeC One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 2k Posts
        • 100 Reputation
        ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by
        #3

        i think that it would be an ok signing, but mankok is not going to pay too much for him. that is the way they have been doing things all off season. holt would want too much. if all else fails the broncos will sign him because their new philosophy is: "find as many free agents who are passed their prime and give them boat loads of money. that is the road to a superbowl."

        once a fan, always a fan. married to a steeler fan. aaaaaaaaah! --andy
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Furnier FurnierF
          • 544 Posts
          • 33 Reputation
          FurnierF Furnier wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Holt opposite stone hands could bring out the best in #17. Torry Holt is $.

          DWJ

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Vegasdogg V
            • 1k Posts
            • 2 Reputation
            V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Not sure I pay for a Holt if I am uncertain of my starting QB. If I am Holt, I don't come for the same reason.

            "I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said." William F Buckley
            Y 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Gips GipsG
              • 3k Posts
              • 34 Reputation
              GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
              #6

              I agree getting holt would be worth the money if the rams cut him loose he would be an immense add to our less than kosher WR group regardless of who starts at qb..😉

              We have been rebuilding since 1964, Why stop now? GO BROWNS!
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • V Vegasdogg

                Not sure I pay for a Holt if I am uncertain of my starting QB. If I am Holt, I don't come for the same reason.

                YtownBrownsBacker Y
                • 2k Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @vegasdogg said:

                Not sure I pay for a Holt if I am uncertain of my starting QB. If I am Holt, I don't come for the same reason.

                Please understand they aren't unsure of who the QB will be. Fact is you don't diss a QB you are trying to trade. So, they will continue to say nice things about Anderson. Quinn has been in Berea working with Dabol for weeks on the play book. Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                J daydawg19D 2 Replies Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Y YtownBrownsBacker

                  @vegasdogg said:

                  Not sure I pay for a Holt if I am uncertain of my starting QB. If I am Holt, I don't come for the same reason.

                  Please understand they aren't unsure of who the QB will be. Fact is you don't diss a QB you are trying to trade. So, they will continue to say nice things about Anderson. Quinn has been in Berea working with Dabol for weeks on the play book. Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                  As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                  JewDago J
                  • 837 Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  J JewDago wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                  Please understand they aren't unsure of who the QB will be. Fact is you don't diss a QB you are trying to trade. So, they will continue to say nice things about Anderson. Quinn has been in Berea working with Dabol for weeks on the play book. Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                  As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                  stallworth's cap hit will prevent us from releasing him, but i don't think that's any reason we shouldn't bring holt in. he's a great receiver who's still got at least two good years left in him. six mil per year or so with about half of that guaranteed sounds like a reasonable investment in our offense to let us go three wide with three viable guys or have at least two guys when stallworth is out again. plus, holt runs absolutely brilliant routes, some of the best in the league, which is always good to have and something that every receiver should learn.

                  it would be a bigger investment than we've made in any other player so far, but holt has far more value than anyone we've looked at so far.

                  my biggest concern is that i don't know how he run blocks (i'm guessing not especially well), and we need that if we're going to establish the kind of run game that will win year in and year out in the AFCN, which it looks like mankok is planning to do, despite our current paucity of RBs.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Tobalaz T
                    • 543 Posts
                    • 4 Reputation
                    T Tobalaz wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    With JJ probably not coming back again and not even having a solid #3 guy on the team since Eric is flirting with Cribbs on defense if we could get him for the right price Holt could be a solid 2 year guy for us.

                    That gives us the flexibility to go after a RB, RG and Center this season (maybe even a RT) and see if Hubbard or Steptoe can pan out.

                    3 seasons until our new head coach, let's hope they get it right this time.
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • hammertime hammertimeH Dedicated Conversation Starter Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                      • 4k Posts
                      • 2k Reputation
                      hammertimeH hammertime wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      look at holt's stats like yac

                      do you still want him

                      at the right price maybe joe j role

                      guns don't kill kids-pitt bulls do.
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Louisville Slugger Louisville SluggerL
                        • 706 Posts
                        • 95 Reputation
                        Louisville SluggerL Louisville Slugger wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Even tho i would love to have him but he doesnt look like he fits what were trying to build here. We are trying to stay away from top dollars guys and build up depth and quality youth he doesnt fit either of those criteria.

                        Like I said I would love to have him but he is too expensive to invest in a declining WR

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • WVBrownsfan WVBrownsfanW
                          • 219 Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          WVBrownsfanW WVBrownsfan wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Like to see him here but I doubt if he'd think it's a right fit.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Y YtownBrownsBacker

                            @vegasdogg said:

                            Not sure I pay for a Holt if I am uncertain of my starting QB. If I am Holt, I don't come for the same reason.

                            Please understand they aren't unsure of who the QB will be. Fact is you don't diss a QB you are trying to trade. So, they will continue to say nice things about Anderson. Quinn has been in Berea working with Dabol for weeks on the play book. Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                            As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                            daydawg19 daydawg19D
                            • 230 Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            daydawg19D daydawg19 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                            Please understand they aren't unsure of who the QB will be. Fact is you don't diss a QB you are trying to trade. So, they will continue to say nice things about Anderson.
                            Quinn has been in Berea working with Dabol for weeks on the play book.
                            Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                            As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                            Haven't seen the Quinn information that you mentioned anywhere. Link please.

                            Y 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • daydawg19D daydawg19

                              @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                              Please understand they aren't unsure of who the QB will be. Fact is you don't diss a QB you are trying to trade. So, they will continue to say nice things about Anderson.
                              Quinn has been in Berea working with Dabol for weeks on the play book.
                              Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                              As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                              Haven't seen the Quinn information that you mentioned anywhere. Link please.

                              YtownBrownsBacker Y
                              • 2k Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @daydawg19 said:

                              Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                              As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                              Haven't seen the Quinn information that you mentioned anywhere. Link please.

                              I'm not going to look around for links but he is staying in Cleveland and is working out at the facility. Read where Dabol spent a few days with Weis so he could draw on Quinn's strengths. Mangini said him and Dabol have spent time together since Dabol's arrival. I got to talk to Quinn at the Kelly Pavlik fight in Youngstown and he said he is 100% and has been working out to increase his arm strength and has been throwing inside.

                              Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • Y YtownBrownsBacker

                                @daydawg19 said:

                                Anderson is in Palm Springs playing golf and hasn't been around. Does that seem to indicate the team is uncertain.

                                As far as Holt. I think Stallworth would be too big a cap hit to release. He was guaranteed a lot of money. We just may be stuck with him.

                                Haven't seen the Quinn information that you mentioned anywhere. Link please.

                                I'm not going to look around for links but he is staying in Cleveland and is working out at the facility. Read where Dabol spent a few days with Weis so he could draw on Quinn's strengths. Mangini said him and Dabol have spent time together since Dabol's arrival. I got to talk to Quinn at the Kelly Pavlik fight in Youngstown and he said he is 100% and has been working out to increase his arm strength and has been throwing inside.

                                Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                                • 1k Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                                I got to talk to Quinn at the Kelly Pavlik fight in Youngstown and he said he is 100% and has been working out to increase his arm strength and has been throwing inside.

                                Glad to hear that. I just hope he isn't overly worried about it or allowing it to change his game too much. That arm strength stuff is overrated......Unless you are wanting to throw a fastball by a curveball hitter.

                                I would love to see Holt in Cleveland. He's a quality guy as well as a football player.

                                Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                                Y 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945

                                  @ytownbrownsbacker said:

                                  I got to talk to Quinn at the Kelly Pavlik fight in Youngstown and he said he is 100% and has been working out to increase his arm strength and has been throwing inside.

                                  Glad to hear that. I just hope he isn't overly worried about it or allowing it to change his game too much. That arm strength stuff is overrated......Unless you are wanting to throw a fastball by a curveball hitter.

                                  I would love to see Holt in Cleveland. He's a quality guy as well as a football player.

                                  YtownBrownsBacker Y
                                  • 2k Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by YtownBrownsBacker
                                  #16

                                  oldcow1945 said:

                                  Glad to hear that. I just hope he isn't overly worried about it or allowing it to change his game too much. That arm strength stuff is overrated......Unless you are wanting to throw a fastball by a curveball hitter.

                                  I would love to see Holt in Cleveland. He's a quality guy as well as a football player.

                                  Quinn did some work with Dick Hartzell at Jump Stretch Inc. Where I also do some work for my back. Dick just put together a program for him working with his bands to stengthen the whole shoulder area and create more range of motion and stamina. It really isn't about throwing the ball harder, it is about increased range of motion of the joint so he can throw with less effort and increasing the stamina so he would not get fatigued through training camp. That tired or fatigued arm can create problems on the long out routes.

                                  The program will also help his elbow and wrist.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • CLEVELandMILIDH C
                                    • 2k Posts
                                    • 52 Reputation
                                    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    Rebuilding Rams release WR HoltComment Email Print Share By John Clayton

                                    ESPN.com

                                    Archive

                                    After they failed to gain trade value, the Rams announced Friday they have released wide receiver Torry Holt.

                                    Holt had a $1.25 million roster bonus due March 17, and the Rams didn't plan to keep him at his $8 million salary. As they did earlier this week with left tackle Orlando Pace, the Rams parted ways with Holt.

                                    "The Rams will forever be grateful for the way Torry Holt represented the Rams on the field and in the community," Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom said. "He is an All Pro in every sense of the word. Over the past 10 seasons, Torry has proven himself to be one of the finest wide receivers in league history. This is a difficult decision because Torry has meant so much to the organization. In my mind and for all Rams fans, Torry will always be a Ram and we wish him and his family nothing but the best as they move forward."

                                    The releases of Holt and Pace cleared out $14 million of cap room for the Rams. Holt ranks 11th on the league's all-time reception list with 869 catches. He started 147 games in 10 seasons.

                                    1st Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU 3rd Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State4th Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma5th Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State6th Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                                      • 1k Posts
                                      • 0 Reputation
                                      Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      The more I think of this the more I like it. You have to think he'd be really good for Brady Quinn.

                                      Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Tobalaz T
                                        • 543 Posts
                                        • 4 Reputation
                                        T Tobalaz wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        If JJ aint coming back we need something and if Holt was willing to take a paycut...

                                        Who knows, he could be Joe Horn alll over again.

                                        I just don't want to see us overpaying for on the downside FAs again no matter how big the need because it helps a little now but bites you in the ass later.

                                        3 seasons until our new head coach, let's hope they get it right this time.
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                                          • 1k Posts
                                          • 0 Reputation
                                          Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          John Clayton said he expects the Jets and San Fran to both be players in obtaining Holt.

                                          Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate