Skip to content

Robert Ayers

The Browns Board
14 4 1.1k
  • He doesn't look like a 3-4 OLB to me. I think he's a 4-3 guy.

  • Yeah, he's most likely a 4-3 end who sometimes reduces inside on passing downs. But considering that Mangini likes his edge guys big, he could be a possibility for us in the 2nd Round.

    He'd definitely be able to set the edge, but I'm not sure he's athletic enough to drop into coverage. We should find out more today: he could have a Derrick Harvey-like workout and have teams talking about him as a 3-4 OLB.

  • top 20 pick...we won't take him at #5 and won't be on the board at #36

  • Most mocks I've seen have him going somewhere between 20 and 40. We'll know more after his pro day, but I don't think he's a top 20 guy.

  • I do...the only issue is he only has one year of tape...but had a Great senior year, senior bowl. in fact was a force at the senior bowl. beat up Andre smith. we'll see but i think he goes in first no doubt!

  • Ayers decided not to run another 40 today. He did shuttle drills and worked out at both defensive end and linebacker. He has private workouts scheduled with a few teams, one of which is planning on running a hybrid/3-4 defense (Denver).

    Running back Arian Foster didn't show up to his pro day. He's been battling a hamstring injury suffered at the Senior Bowl, but his no-show just feeds into concerns about the guy's durability and character. As of now, he's probably a late round pick.

  • I do...the only issue is he only has one year of tape...but had a Great senior year, senior bowl. in fact was a force at the senior bowl. beat up Andre smith. we'll see but i think he goes in first no doubt!

    @solon16 said:

    I do...the only issue is he only has one year of tape...but had a Great senior year, senior bowl. in fact was a force at the senior bowl. beat up Andre smith. we'll see but i think he goes in first no doubt!

    I really like Ayers, but he only notched 3 sacks last year - he was good, not great. Until he blew up at the Senior Bowl, people were talking about him as a 3rd Round pick.

  • Scout.com's Adam Caplan is hearing that the Browns really like Ayers. I doubt he's an option at #5, but he could be one if they somehow engineer a trade down to the late teens.

    Here's some more footage of Ayers:

  • so do you think now he's a top 20???

  • He may be picked that high, though he lacks the production you'd expect from a top 20 pick.

    The more interesting aspect of this is that he's apparently being considered as a 3-4 OLB prospect. And I kind of agree with Heck; he doesn't have the quickness or loose hips you'd like to see in a guy who'll be playing in space. However, he should do a good job setting the edge in the run game, which may be what Mangini's most interested in.

  • He's this year's Justin Harrell, a guy who wasn't even in the first round discussion until the final month or so, and then gets picked in the middle part of the round.

    That was a bad pick then. I'm not sure this one would be any better.

  • gotta say i'm with heck on this one. ayers doesn't show much that's impressive in any phase of the game. he'll be slightly above average at best.