Skip to content

Curry, Jason Smith lead elite tier

The Browns Board
23 11 1.8k
  • I like this breakdown very much. I think this thread should get stickied on draft day just to see how close McShay gets in his broad categories of players.

    Plus, I'd like to see which guys we end up from this list, especially in the 2nd. Lots of intriguing players there.

  • Isaiah Williams, WR, Maryland

    Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.

    Pro Day 40 Time: 4.38.

    Vertical: 41

    Projected Round (2009): 7-FA.

    big fast receiver had a great proday, defenently worth a look in 6-7th rounds. I doubt with numbers like that he goes undrafted

    here's a link, his highlights start at 2:35 http://terps.fandome.com/video/106211/Mary...Wide-Receivers/

  • I'm stupified that he doesn't have Jennings, rb, in the second round. Think he missed one...

    But the rest seems pretty good...

  • I'm stupified that he doesn't have Jennings, rb, in the second round. Think he missed one...

    But the rest seems pretty good...

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'm stupified that he doesn't have Jennings, rb, in the second round. Think he missed one...

    But the rest seems pretty good...

    Don't you think in the end, it has much to do with the competition that he played against? I think that leaves such a big question for scouts that they feel they may be reaching if they go too high with him.

  • He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

    Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

    I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

  • He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

    Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

    I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

    oldcow1945 said:

    He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

    Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

    I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

    Would you take Barwin after taking Orapko with #5? With all our needs can we afford to spend our two top picks on the same position?

    If you want Barwin, who would you take at #5?

  • He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

    Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

    I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

    oldcow1945 said:

    He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

    Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

    I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

    Pittsburgh at 32 and New England at 34 both play 3-4

  • oldcow1945 said:

    He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

    Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

    I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

    Pittsburgh at 32 and New England at 34 both play 3-4

    nmills said:

    Pittsburgh at 32 and New England at 34 both play 3-4

    I meant the first four teams in the second round play a 4-3.

    The last few teams of the 1st round really do not have a need for a LB of Barwin's type. Or it's not as pressing of a need as other places for those last 4 or 5 of the first round.

  • oldcow1945 said:

    He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

    Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

    I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

    Would you take Barwin after taking Orapko with #5? With all our needs can we afford to spend our two top picks on the same position?

    If you want Barwin, who would you take at #5?

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Would you take Barwin after taking Orapko with #5? With all our needs can we afford to spend our two top picks on the same position?

    If you want Barwin, who would you take at #5?

    I'd take Raji and line him up next to Rogers. In the 3-4 you want your tackles taking up space and stopping the run. It's not as important for them to be a pass rusher. Raji does run a 5.1 40 so he can actually really move.

    Could you imagine those two beast side by side? Who are you going to double team? What if a rush LB comes from that direction?

    Secondly, if anything happens to Rogers the Browns have absolutely nothing that can move to the nose. The Browns would be in serious trouble if Rogers were to get hurt.... The nose in the 3-4 is such an important position. With Raji, they can move move him over if Rogers would ever go down.

    I'm so old school as far as running the ball and stopping the run. I think putting Rogers beside a guy like Raji would be a wonderful combo for stopping the run.....Then put Barwin behind them to rush the Qb.

  • both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

  • both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

    @jewdago said:

    both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

    You may be right. I feel in love with him at the senior bowl. I figure his short lateral quickness would be enough to play tackle in the 3-4.

    After watching Rogrs be so dominating, I couldn't get the thought of them being side by side out of my mind.

  • both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

    @jewdago said:

    both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

    Raji ran a 5.1 at the combine

    Corey Williams ran a 5.18

    Speed wouldn't be a factor

  • I read where more than a few scouts say don't underestimate Raji's ability to play 3-4 DE, that he has surprisingly quick lateral movement

    for a big man.

    that, and the role of the front three is to occupy the oline, and the lb's play sideline to sideline, for the most part...

    that's as I understand it, which is probably baloney... GGG

  • @jewdago said:

    both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

    Raji ran a 5.1 at the combine

    Corey Williams ran a 5.18

    Speed wouldn't be a factor

    nmills said:

    Raji ran a 5.1 at the combine

    Corey Williams ran a 5.18

    Speed wouldn't be a factor

    i did not know that. it's interesting that williams' game speed seems quite different from his timed speed: EA saw it fit to give him a 70/88 speed/acceleration combo.

    if raji's versatile enough to play NT and DE, it'd be a great reason to bring him in. however, i still don't think he gets past the seahawks at four. they need a DT, and he's the best in the draft.

    either way, i'd be worried about his ability to get to the corner, and possibly about williams doing it, too. it could be possible that's one of the reasons he struggled last year.

  • nmills said:

    Pittsburgh at 32 and New England at 34 both play 3-4

    I meant the first four teams in the second round play a 4-3.

    The last few teams of the 1st round really do not have a need for a LB of Barwin's type. Or it's not as pressing of a need as other places for those last 4 or 5 of the first round.

    oldcow1945 said:

    I meant the first four teams in the second round play a 4-3.

    The Patriots pick at #34; they have KC's 2nd round pick from the Cassel/Vrabel trade.

  • If you saw Raji go through the bag drill at the Combine, you'd notice that he was a lot less fluid moving laterally than some of the smaller DT's. I don't think he'd be a good fit at DE, and he may not be a character fit if the rumors about his history of failing drug tests are true.

  • nmills said:

    Raji ran a 5.1 at the combine

    Corey Williams ran a 5.18

    Speed wouldn't be a factor

    i did not know that. it's interesting that williams' game speed seems quite different from his timed speed: EA saw it fit to give him a 70/88 speed/acceleration combo.

    if raji's versatile enough to play NT and DE, it'd be a great reason to bring him in. however, i still don't think he gets past the seahawks at four. they need a DT, and he's the best in the draft.

    either way, i'd be worried about his ability to get to the corner, and possibly about williams doing it, too. it could be possible that's one of the reasons he struggled last year.

    @jewdago said:

    i did not know that. it's interesting that williams' game speed seems quite different from his timed speed: EA saw it fit to give him a 70/88 speed/acceleration combo.

    if raji's versatile enough to play NT and DE, it'd be a great reason to bring him in. however, i still don't think he gets past the seahawks at four. they need a DT, and he's the best in the draft.

    either way, i'd be worried about his ability to get to the corner, and possibly about williams doing it, too. it could be possible that's one of the reasons he struggled last year.

    I think Williams suffered this year because he had Mcginest on his side. DE in a 3-4 is not a glory position, your not going to see him in the backfield all the time. Its his job to eat blockers and let Mcginest make plays, if they get a younger faster LB behind him you'll see a big improvement on his side.

  • The Browns have scheduled a workout with Aaron Curry.

  • Yeah, I agree.. I am stupified again for the fact that Jennings diddnt make round 2... actually I'm baffled. H would be an absolute steal in rounds 3-4. No matter what the competition he played against.

  • It is looking like Detroit might actually take BJ Raji rather than Curry.

    If that is the case, and he makes it by KC... Curry might actually fall to the Browns.