Skip to content

Shaffer released

The Browns Board
59 34 4.3k
  • Release a starting RT? I'm baffled that he's on the block, and even more that they can't trade him.

    Is there some big FA available that I dont know about? Are we planning to start a bidding war for Peyton Manning?

    Maybe this is just posturing to get him to restructure. I hope so.

    @we-need-tom-tupa said:

    Maybe this is just posturing to get him to restructure. I hope so.

    That's a possibility. On the other hand, there's been some speculation that Mangini & Kokinis want to move towards a more bigger, more physical o-line, which Shaffer isn't a great fit for.

  • @we-need-tom-tupa said:

    Maybe this is just posturing to get him to restructure. I hope so.

    That's a possibility. On the other hand, there's been some speculation that Mangini & Kokinis want to move towards a more bigger, more physical o-line, which Shaffer isn't a great fit for.

    Aloysius said:

    That's a possibility. On the other hand, there's been some speculation that Mangini & Kokinis want to move towards a more bigger, more physical o-line, which Shaffer isn't a great fit for.
    That makes sense right up to the part where they might release him. He has to be worth something to somebody.
  • Well I was getting sick of seeing him get pushed backwards every play anyhow . Hope he declines to restructure . Then he can restructure his career elsewhere .

  • Aloysius said:

    Shaffer released

    WTF?

  • TheJokersWILD said:

    If anybody's contract need restructured it's Stallworth's. I still can figure out why they gave him a 7 year deal.

    Neither can anyone else. Hence the reason the guy who gave him that contract is no longer here.

  • How much is he still guranteed, and when will it go against the cap

  • hmmmmm.... a mystery as to why no one would give up a draft pick for him....his contract must escalate huge, moving forward.

  • I predicted this may happen in about three different threads the last week or so. Not a shock to me at all. Dude was overpaid from the get go.

  • Aloysius said:

    That's a possibility. On the other hand, there's been some speculation that Mangini & Kokinis want to move towards a more bigger, more physical o-line, which Shaffer isn't a great fit for.
    That makes sense right up to the part where they might release him. He has to be worth something to somebody.

    @we-need-tom-tupa said:

    That makes sense right up to the part where they might release him. He has to be worth something to somebody.

    I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.

  • Khalif Barnes would be an excellent pickup at RT, the Jags averaged over 6 ypc behind him last season and i think he'd be a better right tackle....

  • his contract was ludicrous when we signed him to it, but the timing of this is what really makes no sense. it completely tips our draft hand unless we're counting on signing a stopgap solution like khalif barnes, orlando pace or marvel smith.

    rich, prepare to be thrilled by the new regime's first draft pick, a top-five tackle. i'm as excited about it as you are.

  • Khalif Barnes would be an excellent pickup at RT, the Jags averaged over 6 ypc behind him last season and i think he'd be a better right tackle....

    @standish said:

    Khalif Barnes would be an excellent pickup at RT, the Jags averaged over 6 ypc behind him last season and i think he'd be a better right tackle....

    He's had some off the field issues. Doesn't seem like a Mangini type.

  • @we-need-tom-tupa said:

    That makes sense right up to the part where they might release him. He has to be worth something to somebody.

    I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.

    Aloysius said:

    I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.
    Even so, he's going to have to sign a new deal with someone now. Before we cut him, we couldve charged a draft pick for the right to give him his new contract. Oh, well. My POV on this isnt exactly rocket science. I'm sure it was considered. I just hate to see us lose contributing players for nothing.
  • another participant of last years shitfest released!!! I love it.

    All this kicking of dead weight to the curb has put me in a good mood.

    Win or lose next year at least last years losers won't be seeing my $$ (at least not all of them)

    Kinda like fireworks- can't wait for the grand finale

  • It could be that we didn't trade him because, according to Shaffer's agent, we're still interested in re-signing him to a cheaper deal.

  • Another one bites the dust!

    My take is he wasn't worth his pay or up to the Mankock Standard.

  • @jewdago said:

    cool. let's release a bunch of dudes who we don't have replacements for. sounds like a great idea to me. mankok knows that we only have five draft picks, right?

    Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

    @solon16 said:

    Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5

    Hmmm...seems I have mentioned Oline on a few occasions.

    O-line, tackle to be exact, is the top end strength of this draft.

    If you think you will need a O-tackle sometime in the next 5 years, this is a good year to get that done.

    That, or we feel pretty good about that O-lineman who visited.

  • I predicted this may happen in about three different threads the last week or so. Not a shock to me at all. Dude was overpaid from the get go.

    @riffer-x said:

    I predicted this may happen in about three different threads the last week or so. Not a shock to me at all. Dude was overpaid from the get go.

    Wasn't Shaffer the person who got beat by his guy and caused/allowed the injuries to both Anderson and Quinn?

  • Shaffer whiffed and got Anderson killed. I think Quinn got hurt from constant pressure up the middle by Fraley and Hadnever.