Shaffer released
-
That makes sense right up to the part where they might release him. He has to be worth something to somebody.
I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams.
Even so, he's going to have to sign a new deal with someone now. Before we cut him, we couldve charged a draft pick for the right to give him his new contract. Oh, well. My POV on this isnt exactly rocket science. I'm sure it was considered. I just hate to see us lose contributing players for nothing.Aloysius said:
I would have thought so...His base salaries over the next couple years aren't too bad - $2.65M in '09, $2.9M in 2010, then $3.4M for the final two years of the deal. However, some of that may have been guaranteed money, which could have scared away teams. -
another participant of last years shitfest released!!! I love it.
All this kicking of dead weight to the curb has put me in a good mood.
Win or lose next year at least last years losers won't be seeing my $$ (at least not all of them)
Kinda like fireworks- can't wait for the grand finale
-
It could be that we didn't trade him because, according to Shaffer's agent, we're still interested in re-signing him to a cheaper deal.
-
Hmmm.....Might make OL a prospect.....at #5
Hmmm...seems I have mentioned Oline on a few occasions.
O-line, tackle to be exact, is the top end strength of this draft.
If you think you will need a O-tackle sometime in the next 5 years, this is a good year to get that done.
That, or we feel pretty good about that O-lineman who visited.
-
I predicted this may happen in about three different threads the last week or so. Not a shock to me at all. Dude was overpaid from the get go.
-
Shaffer was also responsible for Frye's broken wrist in '06.
-
-
I won't miss him. He had a cool beard tho.
-
A #5 right tackle? I don't think so
Levi Brown
-
-
Levi Brown
It's not going to happen. You don't draft a right tackle with the 5th overall pick....Unless it is as Alo said, to protect a lefty.
I'm just not sure who they'll sign....Kahlif Barnes? Draft and start a rookie that they draft somewhere in rounds 2 or 4?
I'm wondering If Shaffer is not coming back with a new deal.
-
-
They say were looking at adam goldberg from the rams... he's supposed to be average and has played everywhere on the line... i think he's only 27 too maybe that has something to do with shaffers release
-
oldcow1945 said:
A #5 right tackle? I don't think so.Right!
I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, but I'll say it again. To me, putting a #5 overall OT at RT would be a waste of his talent. He'd be overqualified. It sounds oh so delicious, but in the end, it's not the smartest use of a #5 overall pick, especially with the multitude of needs we have.
-Al
-
I have no issue with this either. I, personally, liked Tucker at RT a hell of alot better than Shaffer.
-
You don't draft a RT that high in the draft... unless you have a left handed qb and you desperately need that on the oline.
Shaffer played hard, he just didn't have the feet to keep up with speed rushers. And anymore, if not before the past couple of years,
he's easily? bull rushed to the qb.
He just hasn't been getting the job done.
Need new right tackle. I would still draft Jamon Meredith of S. Carolina, he has the frame to go from 308 to 320 and he's smart,
strong, quick and solid character. Second round.
But signing a capable RT is preferable, unless the Browns trade down from #5 for extra picks...
-
I think we should release the entire team... except for the new Jets we signed, of course!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login