BROWNS TO PAY DA'S BONUS
-
They had to pay the bonus to make him marketable. Know they can trade him.
-
ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:
Derek Anderson, QB, Cleveland Browns Thursday 3/12, 11:03 AM CT
The Browns plan on paying Derek Anderson his $5MM roster bonus on Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Our View: GM George Kokinis is trying to get the best players on the team, and considers Anderson one of them. So it looks like Brady Quinn will have to fight for the starting gig at quarterback for 2009.
My view: DA is definately MORE tradeable after we pay the bonus. That is what I believe will happen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also predicted the Browns would pay this bonus and not defer it. I also stand by my prediction he will be gone prior to the draft. DA.. I wish you all the best.. But this will be Quinns team next year. The bonus is due on the 15th.. but Roto times always seems to have the know lately... They had us signing Bowens 2-3 days before it was official.
ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:
Derek Anderson, QB, Cleveland Browns Thursday 3/12, 11:03 AM CT
The Browns plan on paying Derek Anderson his $5MM roster bonus on Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Our View: GM George Kokinis is trying to get the best players on the team, and considers Anderson one of them. So it looks like Brady Quinn will have to fight for the starting gig at quarterback for 2009.
My view: DA is definately MORE tradeable after we pay the bonus. That is what I believe will happen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also predicted the Browns would pay this bonus and not defer it. I also stand by my prediction he will be gone prior to the draft. DA.. I wish you all the best.. But this will be Quinns team next year. The bonus is due on the 15th.. but Roto times always seems to have the know lately... They had us signing Bowens 2-3 days before it was official.
I agree SEZ. I actually think that we already have a trade set up and DA will be on another team come Monday. My guess is Tampa Bay.
-
I think there are a few teams where DA could land. I think we see the writing on the wall. The "new Browns regime" wants draft picks ..lots of them....and RIGHT NOW... This is a really deep and talented draft pool that if done right can set the table for years to come for our franchise. Another 2nd or even a 3rd round pick for DA would be a HUGE.
Ok now I am going to get a bit crazy.. but check this out
Imagine Trading DA get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him......then trading out of the 5 spot to pick up 2-3 more draft picks..... WOW go into the draft and coming out ..with 4,5 even 6 high picks stepping onto the field this year..... OK.. I'm dreaming..
I could be out of my mind and DA does not get traded.. But I will be shocked if he is on the roster in April. As for the trade down from the 5 spot.. as much as I would like to see that, it's unlikely... Point is.. They pay DA the 5 mil.. then trade him..
It really does not suck to be DA.. get 5 mil from the Browns.. get traded..go sign a new contract with the new team and collect another big cash bonus.. Man life is tough.... hahahaha
-
I figure DA will be traded on draft day. Some team will be hoping Sanchez or Stafford fall to them. When they don't, they will get desperate and offer a 2nd for DA. At least thats my dream and I am sticking with it.
I figure DA will be traded on draft day. Some team will be hoping Sanchez or Stafford fall to them. When they don't, they will get desperate and offer a 2nd for DA. At least thats my dream and I am sticking with it.
If you think about it, after the Browns pay him the bonus, he becomes a real bargain for teams enamored with his strong arm & his NFL experience as opposed to a high priced rookie "question mark". He may just bring that 2nd pick both you & I are dreaming of, or maybe even a mid to late 1st if packaged. The Browns are freeing enough under the cap that they could be a major draft player this year.
Mike
-
@shepwrite said:
We've freed up a ton of cap money and I think part of the goal was to pull off this trade. If Anderson comes as cheap as he will... and it's damn cheap now for a couple years... I could see us getting Tampa or the NYJ's first pick. At least a second.I'm getting the sense that Shaffer will resign on the cheap. They just ran out of time.
The Browns are looking to stockpile draft picks and strengthen the foundation of the team while surrounding them with versatile, high character guys who are familiar with Mangini's scheme.
So you feel certain Quinn is the direction they will move forward with?
We have so little on Mangini to judge upon, but he looks to be tidying up loose ends and previous projects from the last regime.
-
@inspecta said:
Well we need help in a lot of areas so we'll need those draft picks, the bad news is that we will have a lot of rookies on our team so don't expect any major improvement in our final records, however the fruits of our labor should be very tangible in 2010.It would be great to suceed this year -
but i'm seething mad still about last year and will accept a new everything as long as they are trying and stabilizing the franchise.
-
ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:
Derek Anderson, QB, Cleveland Browns Thursday 3/12, 11:03 AM CT
The Browns plan on paying Derek Anderson his $5MM roster bonus on Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Our View: GM George Kokinis is trying to get the best players on the team, and considers Anderson one of them. So it looks like Brady Quinn will have to fight for the starting gig at quarterback for 2009.
My view: DA is definately MORE tradeable after we pay the bonus. That is what I believe will happen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also predicted the Browns would pay this bonus and not defer it. I also stand by my prediction he will be gone prior to the draft. DA.. I wish you all the best.. But this will be Quinns team next year. The bonus is due on the 15th.. but Roto times always seems to have the know lately... They had us signing Bowens 2-3 days before it was official.
ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:
Derek Anderson, QB, Cleveland Browns Thursday 3/12, 11:03 AM CT
The Browns plan on paying Derek Anderson his $5MM roster bonus on Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Our View: GM George Kokinis is trying to get the best players on the team, and considers Anderson one of them. So it looks like Brady Quinn will have to fight for the starting gig at quarterback for 2009.
My view: DA is definately MORE tradeable after we pay the bonus. That is what I believe will happen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also predicted the Browns would pay this bonus and not defer it. I also stand by my prediction he will be gone prior to the draft. DA.. I wish you all the best.. But this will be Quinns team next year. The bonus is due on the 15th.. but Roto times always seems to have the know lately... They had us signing Bowens 2-3 days before it was official.
when they pay him is bonus, will it mean that we will find out what we got for k2? someone said last week that they aren't announcing the trade terms because it might involve da going to the bucks and the browns were going to pay the bonus. if that is the case, then i think that we got a first and second rounder this year considering both players were in the pro bowl last year. that's just my hope though.
-
ARTICLE FROM ROTO TIMES:
Derek Anderson, QB, Cleveland Browns Thursday 3/12, 11:03 AM CT
The Browns plan on paying Derek Anderson his $5MM roster bonus on Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Our View: GM George Kokinis is trying to get the best players on the team, and considers Anderson one of them. So it looks like Brady Quinn will have to fight for the starting gig at quarterback for 2009.
My view: DA is definately MORE tradeable after we pay the bonus. That is what I believe will happen. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also predicted the Browns would pay this bonus and not defer it. I also stand by my prediction he will be gone prior to the draft. DA.. I wish you all the best.. But this will be Quinns team next year. The bonus is due on the 15th.. but Roto times always seems to have the know lately... They had us signing Bowens 2-3 days before it was official.
I agree SEZ. I actually think that we already have a trade set up and DA will be on another team come Monday. My guess is Tampa Bay.
I agree SEZ. I actually think that we already have a trade set up and DA will be on another team come Monday. My guess is Tampa Bay.
I said the same thing a couple weeks ago, thats why we haven't disclosed the draft picks yet
-
let me get this "logic" correct... We pay 5 million to get another 2nd possibly that we have to pay another 1-2 million for that may potentially work out in the NFL. So this could be a 5-7 million dollar swing for another draft pick financially.....
All because of 3 regular season games and bQ draft position. Mangini and co are going to pigeon hole themselves on the hardest position to fill in the NFL AND make a 5-7 million financial swing for another draft pick.... Genius.
-
let me get this "logic" correct... We pay 5 million to get another 2nd possibly that we have to pay another 1-2 million for that may potentially work out in the NFL. So this could be a 5-7 million dollar swing for another draft pick financially.....
All because of 3 regular season games and bQ draft position. Mangini and co are going to pigeon hole themselves on the hardest position to fill in the NFL AND make a 5-7 million financial swing for another draft pick.... Genius.
let me get this "logic" correct... We pay 5 million to get another 2nd possibly that we have to pay another 1-2 million for that may potentially work out in the NFL. So this could be a 5-7 million dollar swing for another draft pick financially.....
All because of 3 regular season games and bQ draft position. Mangini and co are going to pigeon hole themselves on the hardest position to fill in the NFL AND make a 5-7 million financial swing for another draft pick.... Genius.
The overall money you're talking about is the same whether we keep him or not. The bonus was guaranteed (5 million) and his base salary is 1.5 million. So the total investment is 7 million either way. The only question is whether they feel the team has too many holes to keep the 7 million potentially in their backup QB or whether they feel they need to fill more holes.
Food for thought here: You say that the QB position is the hardest to fill, I believe your right, however perhaps ManKok looked at the film from last year and decided that NEITHER QB could succeed with the pieces that were in place. Ergo one needs to be traded to make up depth in order for the other to succeed.
-
-
I dont think mankok is going to trade DA so who starts comes down to mangini's new addiction to DA's intoxicating arm and probowl status versus BQ"s potential versatility and 3 start status...wonder who will start?

-
I dont think mankok is going to trade DA so who starts comes down to mangini's new addiction to DA's intoxicating arm and probowl status versus BQ"s potential versatility and 3 start status...wonder who will start?

I dont think mankok is going to trade DA so who starts comes down to mangini's new addiction to DA's intoxicating arm and probowl status versus BQ"s potential versatility and 3 start status...wonder who will start?

True...but seeing as Brett Favre's intoxicating arm is what got him shit-canned in NY...I doubt DA's arm is going to have much effect on him.
-
small the overall money is NOT the same. IF you trade him AFTER we pay out the 5 million for a draft pick we then have to sign and pay ANOTHER contract to a 2nd rounder WHO may or may not pan out. The net swing for basically a 2nd rounder would be 5-7 million... that is ludicrous.
These BQ blind fans who keep talking about us unloading DA for a draft pick were the SAME ones last year who were convinced we would trade or release him.
We are not paying 5 million for a backup... we are paying for a 10 win season and a FRANCHISE best home record... meaning a potential starter.
Like I said a 5-7 million dollar financial swing for a potential 2nd rounder who may or may not even make it 2 years in the NFL.... Pure Genius logic for Mangini and company to pigeon hole themselves in for a 1st round draft pick and 3 mediocre games against crap defenses. Makes PERFECT sense.
-
small the overall money is NOT the same. IF you trade him AFTER we pay out the 5 million for a draft pick we then have to sign and pay ANOTHER contract to a 2nd rounder WHO may or may not pan out. The net swing for basically a 2nd rounder would be 5-7 million... that is ludicrous.
These BQ blind fans who keep talking about us unloading DA for a draft pick were the SAME ones last year who were convinced we would trade or release him.
We are not paying 5 million for a backup... we are paying for a 10 win season and a FRANCHISE best home record... meaning a potential starter.
Like I said a 5-7 million dollar financial swing for a potential 2nd rounder who may or may not even make it 2 years in the NFL.... Pure Genius logic for Mangini and company to pigeon hole themselves in for a 1st round draft pick and 3 mediocre games against crap defenses. Makes PERFECT sense.
small the overall money is NOT the same. IF you trade him AFTER we pay out the 5 million for a draft pick we then have to sign and pay ANOTHER contract to a 2nd rounder WHO may or may not pan out. The net swing for basically a 2nd rounder would be 5-7 million... that is ludicrous.
These BQ blind fans who keep talking about us unloading DA for a draft pick were the SAME ones last year who were convinced we would trade or release him.
We are not paying 5 million for a backup... we are paying for a 10 win season and a FRANCHISE best home record... meaning a potential starter.
Like I said a 5-7 million dollar financial swing for a potential 2nd rounder who may or may not even make it 2 years in the NFL.... Pure Genius logic for Mangini and company to pigeon hole themselves in for a 1st round draft pick and 3 mediocre games against crap defenses. Makes PERFECT sense.
Wow, you really are struggling to grasp whats going on.
-
These BQ blind fans who keep talking about us unloading DA for a draft pick were the SAME ones last year who were convinced we would trade or release him.
Yep, and we were right then too, huh Sevs?
-
OK Adam yes I must be struggling with net result of our financial transactions in these hypothetical trades. Why dont you explain where my net numbers are off.
Lets see we FUND 5 million... trade him away for some sort of possible 2nd round draft pick who we then have to SIGN and PAY MORE....
-
-
OK Adam yes I must be struggling with net result of our financial transactions in these hypothetical trades. Why dont you explain where my net numbers are off.
Lets see we FUND 5 million... trade him away for some sort of possible 2nd round draft pick who we then have to SIGN and PAY MORE....
OK Adam yes I must be struggling with net result of our financial transactions in these hypothetical trades. Why dont you explain where my net numbers are off.
Lets see we FUND 5 million... trade him away for some sort of possible 2nd round draft pick who we then have to SIGN and PAY MORE....
Listen very closely. We pay the 5 million no matter what. Weather we trade him / release him / kill him / stick him in a stew.
We either pay it today, or we pay it next year. There is no avoiding it.
-
OK Adam yes I must be struggling with net result of our financial transactions in these hypothetical trades. Why dont you explain where my net numbers are off.
Lets see we FUND 5 million... trade him away for some sort of possible 2nd round draft pick who we then have to SIGN and PAY MORE....
OK Adam yes I must be struggling with net result of our financial transactions in these hypothetical trades. Why dont you explain where my net numbers are off.
Lets see we FUND 5 million... trade him away for some sort of possible 2nd round draft pick who we then have to SIGN and PAY MORE....
Sev...and second rounder is going to be a TOTAL of 5-7M (likely a $1-2M cap hit THIS year)....not a CAP HIT of 5-7M....
So, we get a late 1st or early 2nd rounder for about the EXACT SAME CAP HIT this year....and about $5.5M LESS on the cap hit next year....and in a position where he might actually see the field and make an impact WITHOUT HOPING ANOTHER PLAYER SHITS THE BED (read BQ here).
Just so we are all on the same page here.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
