Skip to content

Pork Chop Womack

The Browns Board
30 12 2.2k
  • Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.

    @sez.ej said:

    Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.

    He was a mid rounder....few live up to the hype at that point.

    Womack is a possible starter and a good addition to the line....better than Sowells.....a nice solid signing that builds the middle of our roster IMO.

  • he definitely tells us, too, what kind of players mankok is looking for on the o-line: big, strong guys that don't necessarily have to be the most mobile, but who can flat-out maul the people in front of them.

    as a RT should, womack excels in the run game but isn't quite as proficient as a pass blocker. he and tucker, assuming he's healthy, will give us a strong right side of the line to run behind, especially with a TE like royal on the field, and keeping a TE in on passing downs will help nullify womack's pass blocking shortcomings.

    if we slide hadnot in to center, we'll have three guys on the line who can destroy people in the run game, which should really help us establish a physical, destructive identity that's hard to stop and can win games no matter who the QB is.

  • Many of you guys are confusing "hype" with "cool nickname."

  • I have come across many Browns fans who have wanted "Pork Chop" to come here for several years. As JewDago stated, he's the kind of mauler that we've been looking for on the OL.

    Time will tell...

    -Al

  • Pork chop better come in here in shape and not cry when he is told to run sprints like some of our fatboys have done. we have enough drama queen WR's.

  • @sez.ej said:

    Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype
    what kind of hype is associated with a 4th rounder?

    88fingerslewy said:

    what kind of hype is associated with a 4th rounder?

    Ok.. I mean't his pre-draft hype.. he was iniitally slated as a late first or sure fire 2nd.. I cannot recall why he fell, but he indeed fell because I was pissed when the browns did not take him when he fell and we passed also.. anywho... he looks like a good pickup

  • IIRC, a lot of people were debating Womack vs. Steinbach a few years ago in FA.

  • From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

  • This signing also went completely under the media radar too.

    Nobody even had us looking at him, talking to him, having him in for a visit, or anything.

    I like the signing.

  • I like it, it's a NE type of signing.

    He's not great at any one thing but average to above average in 4 different positions on the line.

    Great depth.

  • From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

    Aloysius said:

    From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

    You're absolutely right, he is a better guard then tackle. Maybe we aren't done yet because I don't see us putting all of our eggs in one basket with Tucker at RT.

  • From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

    Aloysius said:

    From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

    If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.

  • Aloysius said:

    From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

    If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.

    @mr.-t said:

    If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.

    Womack is not slow. He is a better guard and he can pull, can pass block, has decent strength and can run block. He doesn't have the quickness and agility that top tackles have. Same reason Steinbach plays guard and not tackle.

    He isn't a premier offensive lineman. He is better then Hadnot, McKinney and even Shaffer, but we didn't sign an all pro. He may not even be a starter but he will be very good depth at both guard positions and can also play some RT, if needed.

    I don't think they are done yet with offensive linemen.

  • Poke Chop isn't a RT by any means, but this is a nice signing and I don't think it necessarily affects bringing Kevvy Shafe back or not. I find it hard to believe the Browns are going to want to rely on Tuck to start at RT, and certainly they can't plan on Womack there.

    At this point in his career Tuck is still a dominant guard, but way too slow for RT. He was deteriorating there a few years back.

    It's hard to imagine a rookie coming in here and starting at RT, so there may be a trade somewhere along the way.

    Or.......how about convincing Orlando Pace to come back home and play on the right side for a few years? LOL, doubt it with the way these guys seem to be going about things. Looks to me like they're going to stockpile lineman and figure it out in camp who plays where.

    Keep in mind, I'm huge on replacing Fraley, but there is no guarantee Hadnot has the requisite athleticism there to be any better. Yeah, he is bigger and stronger but who knows if he has the brains for it also?

    I doubt Sowells is a part of this team's plans, especially at RT.

  • I think Hadnot gets a chance to nail down the center spot this year.

  • I think Hadnot gets a chance to nail down the center spot this year.

    @sez.ej said:

    I think Hadnot gets a chance to nail down the center spot this year.

    He might.

    More likely is we will select one of the 3-4 really good centers in round 2 and he will be given the shot to nail down the position.

    This is a great center class....and we will be in perfect position to get one of them with either of the 2nd round picks.

  • @sez.ej said:

    I think Hadnot gets a chance to nail down the center spot this year.

    He might.

    More likely is we will select one of the 3-4 really good centers in round 2 and he will be given the shot to nail down the position.

    This is a great center class....and we will be in perfect position to get one of them with either of the 2nd round picks.

    @ballpeen said:

    He might.

    More likely is we will select one of the 3-4 really good centers in round 2 and he will be given the shot to nail down the position.

    This is a great center class....and we will be in perfect position to get one of them with either of the 2nd round picks.

    This may be one of the best center classes I can ever remember. 3 studs and the next tier lead by Shipley isn't bad either. We need a few more picks but I have to think Center and SS are two very high priorities in round 2.

  • @ballpeen said:

    He might.

    More likely is we will select one of the 3-4 really good centers in round 2 and he will be given the shot to nail down the position.

    This is a great center class....and we will be in perfect position to get one of them with either of the 2nd round picks.

    This may be one of the best center classes I can ever remember. 3 studs and the next tier lead by Shipley isn't bad either. We need a few more picks but I have to think Center and SS are two very high priorities in round 2.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    This may be one of the best center classes I can ever remember. 3 studs and the next tier lead by Shipley isn't bad either. We need a few more picks but I have to think Center and SS are two very high priorities in round 2.

    I'd have to say center and RB in round 2, and there are a few nice ones there so we've got a shot.

  • Indeed.

    Unger, Mack, and Lugis, round out the top tier with guys like Wood, Caldwell, and Shipley not far behind.

    I would take any of the first three with our first pick at round...and most definitely jump if one lasts to the #50 pick.

    Any of the other 3 would be a very solid pick at 50...I like caldwell the best of the last 3....but that may just be the SEC homer in me.

  • Caldwell reportedly had a great workout at his pro day.

    Unger isn't a very good fit for the massive mauling o-line we seem to be building. I love how well the big guy moves, but he's not at his best when trying to push back d-tackles. At the Senior Bowl, he really struggled against Raji and Brace, which doesn't bode well for blocking the 3-4 NT's in our division.

    I think Wood may have elevated himself into the top tier with his great Combine. He put up 30 reps of 225 and displayed good feet during the OL drills. Also, he plays with the nasty demeanor coaches love.

    Here are some interesting comments from a scouting report on Wood:

    Character: Wood is a quiet team leader who plays with true aggression. He is an "old school" no-nonsense type who will not hesitate to get in a teammate's face, yet when he speaks, the team listens. He gets good family support and has also excelled in the classroom. He takes well to hard coaching and has been a good spokesman for the program. He has no known off-field issues and the coaches say he is a pleasure to work with.

    Competitiveness: Wood has an aggressive attitude on the field and even when he is losing a battle against a stronger nose guard, he shows good urgency in attempts to finish. You would like to see him use his developing hand punch more often, as he can lock on and control. With his steady motor, you will never see him throttle down. Anyone who might question his intensity needs only see him fighting tooth and nail to the final gun in a 69-14 loss to Rutgers in 2008. He always brings his "A" game to the field, no matter what the scoreboard says.

    Work Habits: Wood is known for residing in the film room. He is very determined to break down every aspect of his opponent and search for what he can use to his advantage. He does all the little extras you would expect from a team leader and captain. He has a strong understanding for his role on the team and cherishes his leadership ability. On the field, he has no problem with being vocal, as he knows how to control the younger players in the huddle.

    Sounds like a Mangini type.