Pork Chop Womack
-
Cleveland Browns sign Seattle Seahawks OL Floyd Womack
by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter
Friday March 13, 2009, 5:48 PM
BEREA -- The Browns today signed unrestricted free agent offensive lineman Floyd Womack, a source told the Plain Dealer.
Womack, an eight-year veteran of the Seattle Seahawks, is a versatile lineman who can play all line positions except center. Originally a fourth-round pick of the Seahawks in 2001, he's started 47 of the 90 games he played with the Seahawks.
Womack will most likely be slated for the right side of the line. The Browns released starting right tackle Kevin Shaffer on Thursday, but might re-sign him at a reduced salary. Terms of Womack's deal were undisclosed.
-
Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.
-
Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.
-
He may be insurance against Tucker's health. Or, if he can come in and win the job Tucker would move to RG and be a backup for RT.
My concern is the center position and also a backup for Thomas. I think Womack can play their but it's asking too much for Tucker at this point in his career. I hope they spend a day two pick on a lineman they canwork with and bring up through our system. They tried with Sowells and Chambers but I afraid they were both misses. Boone might be a good UDFA if he gets his head screwed on. They could stash him for a year on the practice squad and see if he works out.
-
Womack will fill shaffers shoes well...assuming they mesh tuck and womack should grreatly solidify the right side of our o-line now for a center please..
I have a feeling womack will be our starting tackle so we still need a decent multi-position player for backup..perhaps shaffer will reconsider..

-
Womack will fill shaffers shoes well...assuming they mesh tuck and womack should grreatly solidify the right side of our o-line now for a center please..
I have a feeling womack will be our starting tackle so we still need a decent multi-position player for backup..perhaps shaffer will reconsider..

Womack will fill shaffers shoes well...assuming they mesh tuck and womack should grreatly solidify the right side of our o-line now for a center please..
I have a feeling womack will be our starting tackle so we still need a decent multi-position player for backup..perhaps shaffer will reconsider..

Signing Womack just told Shaffer "good luck". Again, I say the more film these guys watch the more they find the guys that slacked off at the end of the season. Shaffer looked like shit at the end of the year. He was getting beat by everyone.
I still think Womack has to come in and play like a demon or Tucker will assume the job. Womack has been an underachiever. He always had great potential but never lived up to it. He's getting a second chance and he will have to produce in camp to win the job or he will be a backup his whole career.
-
Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.
Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.
He was a mid rounder....few live up to the hype at that point.
Womack is a possible starter and a good addition to the line....better than Sowells.....a nice solid signing that builds the middle of our roster IMO.
-
he definitely tells us, too, what kind of players mankok is looking for on the o-line: big, strong guys that don't necessarily have to be the most mobile, but who can flat-out maul the people in front of them.
as a RT should, womack excels in the run game but isn't quite as proficient as a pass blocker. he and tucker, assuming he's healthy, will give us a strong right side of the line to run behind, especially with a TE like royal on the field, and keeping a TE in on passing downs will help nullify womack's pass blocking shortcomings.
if we slide hadnot in to center, we'll have three guys on the line who can destroy people in the run game, which should really help us establish a physical, destructive identity that's hard to stop and can win games no matter who the QB is.
-
88fingerslewy said:
what kind of hype is associated with a 4th rounder?Ok.. I mean't his pre-draft hype.. he was iniitally slated as a late first or sure fire 2nd.. I cannot recall why he fell, but he indeed fell because I was pissed when the browns did not take him when he fell and we passed also.. anywho... he looks like a good pickup
-
IIRC, a lot of people were debating Womack vs. Steinbach a few years ago in FA.
-
From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.
-
From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.
Aloysius said:
From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.You're absolutely right, he is a better guard then tackle. Maybe we aren't done yet because I don't see us putting all of our eggs in one basket with Tucker at RT.
-
From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.
Aloysius said:
From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.
-
Aloysius said:
From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.
If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.
Womack is not slow. He is a better guard and he can pull, can pass block, has decent strength and can run block. He doesn't have the quickness and agility that top tackles have. Same reason Steinbach plays guard and not tackle.
He isn't a premier offensive lineman. He is better then Hadnot, McKinney and even Shaffer, but we didn't sign an all pro. He may not even be a starter but he will be very good depth at both guard positions and can also play some RT, if needed.
I don't think they are done yet with offensive linemen.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login