Skip to content

Jacksonville releases WR Matt Jones

The Browns Board
33 23 3.1k
  • B Browns2405 wrote on last edited by Browns2405
    #7

    mikeyP72 said:

    gave you +Thanks for your Avatar. Priceless.

    Thanks... it made me smile and continues to amuse me

  • ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by
    #8

    this guy seems like he is going to be a problem for his whole career. the only way i would give him a contract is if it was incentive based. if he gets arrested, we keep money. if he goes to jail then he gives us back his bonuses. stuff like that. anyone who gives him a regular contract is a moron. for that reason, i believe he will end up an oakland raider with a huge contract.

  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #9

    jones' physical talent has never been in question, but his football aptitude and decision making have. with mankok emphasizing character, it's highly doubtful jones will be a brown, though hie physical ability is intriguing.

    when you add in the fact that he's been playing WR for only a few years and would just now be learning the nuances of running routes, i think he'd be a good signing if we can get him on the cheap, but a franchise with a WR who just killed someone can't afford the PR hit of signing a WR who got busted for coke possession.

  • T Tobalaz wrote on last edited by
    #10

    mikeyP72 said:

    I love the cocaine, i love the cocaine, i love the cocaine!!!!!!!

    I thought Buckcherry only used the line at most twice in a row during Lit Up, that was a reference to Buckcherry right?

  • Notable players that liked the dust.

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Plus he may be or will be cheap why not.

    What kind of suspensions does he still have coming

    D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @erie-dawg said:

    Notable players that liked the dust.

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Plus he may be or will be cheap why not.

    What kind of suspensions does he still have coming

    Notable players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Larence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Matt Jones

    Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

    Dennis

  • This guy really started coming into his own last year. I have watched his career pretty closely. He is a playmaker. He really is not a trouble maker..He had the coke thing then turned it around. I am not going to crucify the guy for screwing up by having a few beers on the golf course. He will likely get a 4 game suspension. But he is 6'5 runs like an elk and can really make plays. We could get a guy coming into his prime. I may get slammed cuz I like this guy.. but that's my opinion and I'm sticking too it. I think he could have been even better if Jax had a real QB to get him the ball. 11.7 per catch average and 10 catches over 20 yards last year.. Signimup

    BUNSofSTEEL08B BUNSofSTEEL08 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @sez.ej said:

    This guy really started coming into his own last year. I have watched his career pretty closely. He is a playmaker. He really is not a trouble maker..He had the coke thing then turned it around. I am not going to crucify the guy for screwing up by having a few beers on the golf course. He will likely get a 4 game suspension. But he is 6'5 runs like an elk and can really make plays. We could get a guy coming into his prime. I may get slammed cuz I like this guy.. but that's my opinion and I'm sticking too it. I think he could have been even better if Jax had a real QB to get him the ball. 11.7 per catch average and 10 catches over 20 yards last year.. Signimup

    Ever hear of Character ? A couple of "Questionable" Guys can mean disaster to a Team.

  • This guy really started coming into his own last year. I have watched his career pretty closely. He is a playmaker. He really is not a trouble maker..He had the coke thing then turned it around. I am not going to crucify the guy for screwing up by having a few beers on the golf course. He will likely get a 4 game suspension. But he is 6'5 runs like an elk and can really make plays. We could get a guy coming into his prime. I may get slammed cuz I like this guy.. but that's my opinion and I'm sticking too it. I think he could have been even better if Jax had a real QB to get him the ball. 11.7 per catch average and 10 catches over 20 yards last year.. Signimup

    BUNSofSTEEL08B BUNSofSTEEL08 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @sez.ej said:

    This guy really started coming into his own last year. I have watched his career pretty closely. He is a playmaker. He really is not a trouble maker..He had the coke thing then turned it around. I am not going to crucify the guy for screwing up by having a few beers on the golf course. He will likely get a 4 game suspension. But he is 6'5 runs like an elk and can really make plays. We could get a guy coming into his prime. I may get slammed cuz I like this guy.. but that's my opinion and I'm sticking too it. I think he could have been even better if Jax had a real QB to get him the ball. 11.7 per catch average and 10 catches over 20 yards last year.. Signimup

    A couple of "Questionable" Guys can mean disaster to a Team. Big Gamble !!!

  • @erie-dawg said:

    Notable players that liked the dust.

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Plus he may be or will be cheap why not.

    What kind of suspensions does he still have coming

    Notable players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Larence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Matt Jones

    Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

    Dennis

    E eqrulz101 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @dencyguy said:

    Notable players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Larence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Matt Jones

    Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

    Dennis

    What exactly does him being white have to do with anything? Nothing. He started to show some signs of being a good receiver for the Jags last year and seemed to be past his drug issues. He was let go for drinking not another issue with cocaine. The Browns being in desperate need for a 2nd receiver should give this guy a look at the least. He can/should be had on the cheap and fill a badly needed spot for us. We cannot expect a rookie receiver to come in and do anything his first year. We need some one with some experience.

  • @dencyguy said:

    Notable players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Larence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Matt Jones

    Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

    Dennis

    What exactly does him being white have to do with anything? Nothing. He started to show some signs of being a good receiver for the Jags last year and seemed to be past his drug issues. He was let go for drinking not another issue with cocaine. The Browns being in desperate need for a 2nd receiver should give this guy a look at the least. He can/should be had on the cheap and fill a badly needed spot for us. We cannot expect a rookie receiver to come in and do anything his first year. We need some one with some experience.

    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @eqrulz101 said:

    What exactly does him being white have to do with anything? Nothing. He started to show some signs of being a good receiver for the Jags last year and seemed to be past his drug issues. He was let go for drinking not another issue with cocaine. The Browns being in desperate need for a 2nd receiver should give this guy a look at the least. He can/should be had on the cheap and fill a badly needed spot for us. We cannot expect a rookie receiver to come in and do anything his first year. We need some one with some experience.

    I can't totally disagree with you on this. But I have two questions. What kind of guy is he besides having the obvious addictive thing going on? Is he an asshole? I haven't read much about him.

    The second question is the big one...What is the NFL going to do with him? He may not get to play for awhile after Goodell gets done with him.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    Notable players that liked the dust.

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Plus he may be or will be cheap why not.

    What kind of suspensions does he still have coming

    Notable players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Larence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Matt Jones

    Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

    Dennis

    R Reno wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @dencyguy said:

    Notable players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Larence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Matt Jones

    Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

    Dennis

    And you forget Don Rogers?

  • @dencyguy said:

    Notable players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Larence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Matt Jones

    Notable talented players who liked cocaine:

    Michael Irvin

    Lawrence Taylor

    Kevin Mack

    Exactly what does a white WR have to do to not have message board people slobber all over him? "Well, I know he has two catches in the last three years, and there was that whole genocide thing, but I think I read somewhere that he only helped put people on the trains, so it's not like he did anything really bad. Besides, every team needs a possession receiver."

    Dennis

    And you forget Don Rogers?

    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @reno said:

    And you forget Don Rogers?

    How about Todd Marijuanavich?

    Travis Henry?

  • @reno said:

    And you forget Don Rogers?

    How about Todd Marijuanavich?

    Travis Henry?

    GeechG Geech wrote on last edited by
    #18

    oldcow1945 said:

    How about Todd Marijuanavich?

    Travis Henry?

    Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson!

    I think JewDago is right. Mangini isn't gonna touch Matt Jones with a 10 foot pole.

    -Al

  • JJ's replacement?

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mr.-t said:

    JJ's replacement?

    They aren't anything alike except for the fact they're both white dudes.

  • H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
    #20

    No thanks.

  • P PBJ wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I like the idea of Martin Rucker out wide on 3rd downs, he is already on the roster and is a big guy. The only thing is, he is still an unkown. It was more important to play Dinkins last year I guess.

  • @mr.-t said:

    JJ's replacement?

    They aren't anything alike except for the fact they're both white dudes.

    E eqrulz101 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    mz. said:

    They aren't anything alike except for the fact they're both white dudes.

    6'5" and possesion receiver. Sounds similar.

  • mz. said:

    They aren't anything alike except for the fact they're both white dudes.

    6'5" and possesion receiver. Sounds similar.

    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @eqrulz101 said:

    6'5" and possesion receiver. Sounds similar.

    But it isn't. Jones is a guy with immense potential who's been held back by inconsistent hands, a poor work ethic, and an affinity for white powder. Jurevicius is a slow, sure-handed receiver who's a very good influence in the locker room.

    Jones actually had a very good year last year, but he's too lazy and legally-challenged to take a risk on.

  • Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Pass.

  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #25

    I would take a shot at Jones. He has potential to be a good player and is young enough to help in few years

  • O osusev wrote on last edited by
    #26

    I dont care about his off field "habits" whether its drinking beer, smoking, coke whatever as long as he is good in the lockerroom and in practice. Get real judging players morality and usage is laughable.

    This is a completely merc type industry and it is still a GAME not applying for the role of a preacher.

    I love this guy and think it is EXACTLY what we need, great hands, good speed and big.