Skip to content

STALLWORTH UPDATE

The Browns Board
282 64 17.8k
  • Miami Herald

    Fatal wreck involving NFL player snarls traffic to the beach

    Photos

    Related Content

    Road rage attack leaves 63-year-old man injured

    Traffic hot spots

    Miami Beach Police were questioning Donte Stallworth, an NFL wide-receiver, in connection with the death of a pedestrian who was hit and killed on the McArthur Causeway Saturday morning.

    Traffic on the McArthur and Venetian Causeways was backed up to the mainland Saturday for hours because of the accident, which happened near the stoplight at Terminal Island.

    The accident happened at 7:17 a.m., according to Det. Juan Sanchez, a police spokesman. Police had not released the name of the pedestrian.

    Sanchez said Stallworth is cooperating with the police investigation. Officers drew blood from Stallworth at the scene, a way to determine if he was drinking. It is routine for officers to draw blood after fatal accidents.

    Stallworth, 28, has not been charged.

    He played for the New England Patriots and recently signed a $35 million contract with the Cleveland Browns.

  • Wow, he basically just sent himself off the Browns roster.

    @witness23 said:

    Wow, he basically just sent himself off the Browns roster.

    Throw a rope over the bridge and hang him before he can wiggle out of it. Wait, first stop payment on the bonus check.

    Man, they don't know shit yet and we got him doing 20 years to life. If he's proven guilty, then he should be subjected to the law as should anybody. But, let's wait until the results of the blood test are in and the guy is at least charged with something.

    I'd like to find a reason to release us from his contract but cool the jets. If he's guilty of anything then let the situation evolve.

  • Yeah, we might want to find out what happened first. You can imagine a scenario where it's not Stallworth fault and it's just a horrible accident.

    But it doesn't look good.

    Talk about shuffling the draft board...

  • Here's the facts we have: It was 7:17am so to me this says he wasn't drinking and this was a basic blood draw like they say after a fatal accident.

    Only other option would be that he drank all night long or could still possibly be intoxicated from the night before. If that were the case, I would think it would be a bigger story because he would have been hammered at the scene IMO.

    My guess is that this was an accident of some sort but he wasn't drunk. He's a victim here too, even an accidental killing of someone, whether it's your fault or not, is a horrible thing to have to live with.

    BTW, by most accounts Stallworth is a pretty decent guy, and I think he takes a lot of heat from fans basically because he can't stay on the field. I also don't think he's a puss, I think he's just a guy who is massively susceptible to muscle injuries and we probably should have never signed him, but speaking for myself, I was very happy when we did sign him.

  • Here's the facts we have: It was 7:17am so to me this says he wasn't drinking and this was a basic blood draw like they say after a fatal accident.

    Only other option would be that he drank all night long or could still possibly be intoxicated from the night before. If that were the case, I would think it would be a bigger story because he would have been hammered at the scene IMO.

    My guess is that this was an accident of some sort but he wasn't drunk. He's a victim here too, even an accidental killing of someone, whether it's your fault or not, is a horrible thing to have to live with.

    BTW, by most accounts Stallworth is a pretty decent guy, and I think he takes a lot of heat from fans basically because he can't stay on the field. I also don't think he's a puss, I think he's just a guy who is massively susceptible to muscle injuries and we probably should have never signed him, but speaking for myself, I was very happy when we did sign him.

    @riffer-x said:

    Here's the facts we have: It was 7:17am so to me this says he wasn't drinking and this was a basic blood draw like they say after a fatal accident.

    Only other option would be that he drank all night long or could still possibly be intoxicated from the night before. If that were the case, I would think it would be a bigger story because he would have been hammered at the scene IMO.

    My guess is that this was an accident of some sort but he wasn't drunk. He's a victim here too, even an accidental killing of someone, whether it's your fault or not, is a horrible thing to have to live with.

    BTW, by most accounts Stallworth is a pretty decent guy, and I think he takes a lot of heat from fans basically because he can't stay on the field. I also don't think he's a puss, I think he's just a guy who is massively susceptible to muscle injuries and we probably should have never signed him, but speaking for myself, I was very happy when we did sign him.

    I voice of reason.............hoily shit

    Don't you think they would be more then just questioning him if he was impared. If you are intoxicated, they arrest you right on the spot. He hasn't been arrested or charged. So, let's wait and see. If he is at fault, then I'm sure appropriate acton will be taken.

  • I was happy too until I saw the return on investment . If he is clean and is found not to be on substances he better get back to Cleveland and start getting his injury prone ass in shape . This training camp is NOT going to be the RETREAT RAC ran for his term .

  • The loss of life is a terrible thing, & my prayers go out to Stallworth too. Regardless whether at fault or not, I cannot imagine having to live with a person's death resulting from an accident in which I was involved. He is facing a very difficult recovery no matter what the findings are.

    It's not my place to judge.

    Mike

  • Yeah, we might want to find out what happened first. You can imagine a scenario where it's not Stallworth fault and it's just a horrible accident.

    But it doesn't look good.

    Talk about shuffling the draft board...

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    Yeah, we might want to find out what happened first. You can imagine a scenario where it's not Stallworth fault and it's just a horrible accident.

    But it doesn't look good.

    Talk about shuffling the draft board...

    Crabtree, here we come!

    Circumstances may be pushing us to make what would be the right pick anyway...

  • At a time like this, when a person is less than 12 hours deceased, I will take some time to offer my condolences to the family of the victim, and prayers to both Stallworth and the family.

    Sometimes it is okay to stop thinking about football and what this means to the Browns, and just act like human fooking beings for once.

  • In fairness to Stallworth, if I just received $5M in cash for doing nothing, I'd be out partying all night too.

    Also in fairness to Stallworth, accidents do happen. So let's try and reserve judgment until we have all the facts.

    Juki's correct. Crabtree fans (like me) can't help but think our odds just got better...

  • I agree, we all ned to stop jumping to conclusions. I would love to keep Donte on this team, he is an electrifying player when he is not injured, he is just injury prone, and yes, he does take alot of heat, and he doesn't complain about it like some other recievers do. Ive seen him make some CRAZY plays over the years and I still think he has the ability of a #1, he just needs to get a little lucky in regards to injuries.

    Best of Luck Donte, I hope it was just an accident for all our sakes.

    large_Stallworth-Donte.jpg

  • In fairness to Stallworth, if I just received $5M in cash for doing nothing, I'd be out partying all night too.

    Also in fairness to Stallworth, accidents do happen. So let's try and reserve judgment until we have all the facts.

    Juki's correct. Crabtree fans (like me) can't help but think our odds just got better...

    mz. said:

    In fairness to Stallworth, if I just received $5M in cash for doing nothing, I'd be out partying all night too.

    Also in fairness to Stallworth, accidents do happen. So let's try and reserve judgment until we have all the facts.

    Juki's correct. Crabtree fans (like me) can't help but think our odds just got better...

    In fairness to our intelligence

    I would take a chauffer driven limo after the freakin party .

    Get real dude

  • release this bum!!!!!!

    @reno said:

    release this bum!!!!!!

    Why??

    I think it would be best to see if he did anything wrong first...

  • @witness23 said:

    Wow, he basically just sent himself off the Browns roster.

    Throw a rope over the bridge and hang him before he can wiggle out of it. Wait, first stop payment on the bonus check.

    Man, they don't know shit yet and we got him doing 20 years to life. If he's proven guilty, then he should be subjected to the law as should anybody. But, let's wait until the results of the blood test are in and the guy is at least charged with something.

    I'd like to find a reason to release us from his contract but cool the jets. If he's guilty of anything then let the situation evolve.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Throw a rope over the bridge and hang him before he can wiggle out of it. Wait, first stop payment on the bonus check.

    Man, they don't know shit yet and we got him doing 20 years to life. If he's proven guilty, then he should be subjected to the law as should anybody. But, let's wait until the results of the blood test are in and the guy is at least charged with something.

    I'd like to find a reason to release us from his contract but cool the jets. If he's guilty of anything then let the situation evolve.

    I agree. It sickening, and what is wrong with this country the way some people are acting.

  • mz. said:

    In fairness to Stallworth, if I just received $5M in cash for doing nothing, I'd be out partying all night too.

    Also in fairness to Stallworth, accidents do happen. So let's try and reserve judgment until we have all the facts.

    Juki's correct. Crabtree fans (like me) can't help but think our odds just got better...

    In fairness to our intelligence

    I would take a chauffer driven limo after the freakin party .

    Get real dude

    @neweradawg said:

    In fairness to our intelligence

    I would take a chauffer driven limo after the freakin party .

    Get real dude

    My attempt at bringing levity to the situation was clearly lost on the über-serious.

  • some folks were not ment to be comedians I guess .

    sorry for the impression I believed you were serious

  • This is really a tragedy. Somewhere there is a family who's loved one was killed and are beyond brokenhearted.... Stallworth. sober, drunk or otherwise must really be hurting emotionally too having killed this person.

    Those of you who pray.. Pray for Donte and this persons family.

    As for the effect on the Browns. Who cares really... these 2 lives are much more important.. however since this is a Browns board..

    . It may be nothing at all is he was not intoxicated. I agree it is unlikely he was drunk at 7am.. Hopefully he was not partying the night before and will show "zero" on the blood test for alcohol or any other drugs.. I am certain we will have a great deal to discuss on this topic once the blood test is released.

    If he was drunk/drugs... the Browns really have no choice but to release him.

    As for RENO's response and rush to judgment.. You must be a real piece of work dude.

  • Friday was a good day for Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth. As of 4:00 p.m. EDT, he officially earned a $4.875 million roster bonus.

    But Saturday is turning out to be a very bad day for the one-time first-round pick. According to CBS4 in Miami, Stallworth has been detained after an automobile accident that killed a pedestrian.

    Per the report, the accident happened at the intersection of Fisher Island Drive and the MacCarthur Causeway in Miami.

    We’ve separately been advised that police are investigating whether Stallworth was driving under the influence. According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, authorities performed a mandatory blood draw on Stallworth, and they are awaiting the results of the test.

    We’re also told that prosecutors are involved, and charges could be filed very soon.

    Stallworth, per the source, was driving a Bentley. As our own Aaron Wilson discovered while chasing the tip we’d received (yeah, we were responsible and tried to confirm before posting . . . for a change), Stallworth was arrested in 2006 while driving a Bentley. According to USLaw.com, Stallworth was busted after he refused to turn of his cell phone and shut off the engine after a traffic stop for driving with an expired license.

    Wilson is in the process of gathering more details, and he might be posting a follow-up soon.

    And let’s not forget that someone died what by all appearances was a preventable death. We hope that, regardless of what happened, the tragedy will cause the Donte’ Stallworths and Albert Haynesworths of the NFL to be a lot more careful in the future when driving their cars.

    Coincidentally, Stallworth and Haynesworth both played college football at Tennessee, and both were picked in the first round of the 2002 draft, only two selections apart.

    @titleist585 said:

    Coincidentally, Stallworth and Haynesworth both played college football at Tennessee, and both were picked in the first round of the 2002 draft, only two selections apart.

    Leonard Little played for Tennessee too BUT that doesn't mean everyone that went/goes there feels above the law. Just the knuckleheads that are/were extremely overpaid. I never thought I'd see the day where we would have a more worthless WR than Northcutt jamming our cap until I've endured Donte Stallworth. There's a reason he's always available. I haven't found the reason he's always hired and overpaid though.

    - Tom F.

  • I will say a prayer for him but business is business

  • @neweradawg said:

    In fairness to our intelligence

    I would take a chauffer driven limo after the freakin party .

    Get real dude

    My attempt at bringing levity to the situation was clearly lost on the über-serious.

    mz. said:

    My attempt at bringing levity to the situation was clearly lost on the über-serious.

    Yeah, bring levity to the situation when a family lost a loved one. Outstanding judgement on your part once again. 🙄