Shelton wants to be a Brown
-
Why wouldn't he say he would like to be a Brown. I'm not saying he isn't being genuine but 12 may be the highest be goes based on team need.
-
I read Pettine was moving Taylor to NT. If thats not smoke, maybe they have another NT prospect in mind later in the draft. I think they are targeting a pass rusher, but I think that every year and yah.
-
Why wouldn't he say he would like to be a Brown. I'm not saying he isn't being genuine but 12 may be the highest be goes based on team need.
Why wouldn't he say he would like to be a Brown. I'm not saying he isn't being genuine but 12 may be the highest be goes based on team need.
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
"Outside team headquarters, the Browns are regarded as a team with a record that speaks for itself, but inside the building, Coach Mike Pettine sells a vision of the future that players are buying.
Brian Hartline during a conference call March 10 said he was close to choosing the Super Bowl champion Patriots as his new team after six years with the Dolphins. Instead, the Canton native signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Browns, who have suffered seven-straight losing seasons and who haven’t won a playoff game since 1994.
“There’s a point where the past is the past and it doesn’t really matter,” Hartline said. “Seeing the future and where things are going is most important. I’m not going to choose a place based on where they’ve been.
“(Pettine) is a man’s man, straight to the point, loves football, wants to win. He’s a major part in wanting to be here. I believe in the vision in Cleveland and where they want to head. I look at a defense that’s really well put together and I look at an offensive line that’s one of the tops in the league. Those are building points. We have a lot of that established.”
Josh McCown made similar comments earlier this month to explain why he chose to play quarterback for the Browns instead of signing with another team."
-
Why wouldn't he say he would like to be a Brown. I'm not saying he isn't being genuine but 12 may be the highest be goes based on team need.
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
"Outside team headquarters, the Browns are regarded as a team with a record that speaks for itself, but inside the building, Coach Mike Pettine sells a vision of the future that players are buying.
Brian Hartline during a conference call March 10 said he was close to choosing the Super Bowl champion Patriots as his new team after six years with the Dolphins. Instead, the Canton native signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Browns, who have suffered seven-straight losing seasons and who haven’t won a playoff game since 1994.
“There’s a point where the past is the past and it doesn’t really matter,” Hartline said. “Seeing the future and where things are going is most important. I’m not going to choose a place based on where they’ve been.
“(Pettine) is a man’s man, straight to the point, loves football, wants to win. He’s a major part in wanting to be here. I believe in the vision in Cleveland and where they want to head. I look at a defense that’s really well put together and I look at an offensive line that’s one of the tops in the league. Those are building points. We have a lot of that established.”
Josh McCown made similar comments earlier this month to explain why he chose to play quarterback for the Browns instead of signing with another team."
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
Outside team headquarters, the Browns are regarded as a team with a record that speaks for itself, but inside the building, Coach Mike Pettine sells a vision of the future that players are buying.
Brian Hartline during a conference call March 10 said he was close to choosing the Super Bowl champion Patriots as his new team after six years with the Dolphins. Instead, the Canton native signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Browns, who have suffered seven-straight losing seasons and who havent won a playoff game since 1994.
Theres a point where the past is the past and it doesnt really matter, Hartline said. Seeing the future and where things are going is most important. Im not going to choose a place based on where theyve been.
(Pettine) is a mans man, straight to the point, loves football, wants to win. Hes a major part in wanting to be here. I believe in the vision in Cleveland and where they want to head. I look at a defense thats really well put together and I look at an offensive line thats one of the tops in the league. Those are building points. We have a lot of that established.
Josh McCown made similar comments earlier this month to explain why he chose to play quarterback for the Browns instead of signing with another team.
Can't you feel it, guys? Pettine and crew are building something here. There is a real reason to be optimistic. To hell with the killer schedule - this team will probably "shock the world".
-
Killer schedule? I must be missing something... Titans, Jets, Raiders, Rams (all of which are picking ahead of the Browns) plus very winnable games against the Chiefs, Chargers, 9ers and Cardinals. I think splitting the division is a very realistic expectation. Of course they will lose games they should win and win a game or two they are expected to lose, but the thing about the NFL is that there is so much turnover that we don't really know who will be good and who will be bad. (Remember when the Saints were supposed to be Super Bowl bound?)
-
Shelton's also been blowing smoke about other teams, but it's nice nonetheless.
-
I don't believe Shelton was blowing smoke as I am am seeing many others echoing a common theme that they see the vision of Mike Pettine and believe it:
"In eight active seasons with the Green Bay Packer Tramon Williams missed the playoffs only once.
And even though the Cleveland Browns’ postseason drought has reached its 12th season, the cornerback isn’t booking any tropical vacations for the month of January.
After merely two days of conditioning, lengthy meetings with the defensive coaching staff and chit-chatting with members of his secondary, Williams doesn’t just think the seeds have been planted for Cleveland; he sees key components of winning already starting to bloom.
“This is a playoff-caliber team,” Williams said with conviction Tuesday. “The feeling that I get in the building is that everyone believes.”
If there’s anybody who knows what a playoff team looks like, it’s Williams.
A defensive back with a penchant for taking the right risks, Williams picked off three passes during Green Bay’s improbable 2010 playoff run, capping a Wild Card berth with a Super Bowl win over the Steelers. In total, Williams has played in 13 playoff contests.
A self-described “film junkie,” Williams is obsessed with football -- a characteristic coach Mike Pettine and general manager Ray Farmer said is a priority when they sign a free agent -- and not just from September to January. Every year before OTAs begin,"
-
I've already read that, OBF, and I agree - this regime seems to be doing things. What I'm saying is Shelton's just talking up any organisation he's asked about. Maybe he genuinely likes the browns, maybe not. Like, the Lions:
"I see us being unstoppable, really," Shelton said. "Being able to play two-tech, three-tech, it's just an unstoppable front, really"
"Honestly, for me, you never know what to expect, so I stay prepared, 'cause anything can happen from here on," Shelton said. "If I do drop or if Detroit trades up, I'll be a happy man."
-
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
Outside team headquarters, the Browns are regarded as a team with a record that speaks for itself, but inside the building, Coach Mike Pettine sells a vision of the future that players are buying.
Brian Hartline during a conference call March 10 said he was close to choosing the Super Bowl champion Patriots as his new team after six years with the Dolphins. Instead, the Canton native signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Browns, who have suffered seven-straight losing seasons and who havent won a playoff game since 1994.
Theres a point where the past is the past and it doesnt really matter, Hartline said. Seeing the future and where things are going is most important. Im not going to choose a place based on where theyve been.
(Pettine) is a mans man, straight to the point, loves football, wants to win. Hes a major part in wanting to be here. I believe in the vision in Cleveland and where they want to head. I look at a defense thats really well put together and I look at an offensive line thats one of the tops in the league. Those are building points. We have a lot of that established.
Josh McCown made similar comments earlier this month to explain why he chose to play quarterback for the Browns instead of signing with another team.
Can't you feel it, guys? Pettine and crew are building something here. There is a real reason to be optimistic. To hell with the killer schedule - this team will probably "shock the world".
Can't you feel it, guys? Pettine and crew are building something here. There is a real reason to be optimistic. To hell with the killer schedule - this team will probably "shock the world".
Agree. I still say we aren't as bad as some folks out there think.
Now if we play the idiotic "trade the draft picks" game we always seem to do, my tune changes. For now, I'm optimistic.
-
I read Pettine was moving Taylor to NT. If thats not smoke, maybe they have another NT prospect in mind later in the draft. I think they are targeting a pass rusher, but I think that every year and yah.
I read Pettine was moving Taylor to NT. If thats not smoke, maybe they have another NT prospect in mind later in the draft. I think they are targeting a pass rusher, but I think that every year and yah.
even if taylor is moved to his natural position, you still have to get depth there because of his history of injury. shelton is the perfect pick for the browns if he's there at 12.
-
I read Pettine was moving Taylor to NT. If thats not smoke, maybe they have another NT prospect in mind later in the draft. I think they are targeting a pass rusher, but I think that every year and yah.
I think they are targeting a pass rusher.....
Me too.....I LOVE Shelton, but am expecting a Beasley, DuPree or Ray type of pick coming before DT......
Can't you feel it, guys? Pettine and crew are building something here........ this team will probably "shock the world"..
Some of us wont be shocked......can really see the quality and depth of players growing these past few years.....time for a breakout season.....
Last season there were a MILLION tards saying we'd only win 1 to 5 games...then suddenly we were 7-3 and they were like..."doh, how'd that happen??"
Agree. I still say we aren't as bad as some folks out there think.
No where near.....
-
People who don't know anything only see that Josh McCown is our QB, then they immeaditily think
"OMG THIS TEAM IS COMPLETE DOG SHIT"
-
Why wouldn't he say he would like to be a Brown. I'm not saying he isn't being genuine but 12 may be the highest be goes based on team need.
Why wouldn't he say he would like to be a Brown. I'm not saying he isn't being genuine but 12 may be the highest be goes based on team need.
Are you claiming that none of the 11 teams that draft before the Browns could not use dominant Defensive Lineman?
Per NFL.com, 7 of those 11 need a pass rusher.
If Shelton is a great DL prospect....wouldn't that include the fact that he could be a very good pass rusher? I think the Browns have the outside pass rush fairly well handled....or they should, with Kruger/Mingo. Up the middle pressure is what they need.
You know....we need someone to come straight at BR and target those knees.
-
Why wouldn't he say he would like to be a Brown. I'm not saying he isn't being genuine but 12 may be the highest be goes based on team need.
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
"Outside team headquarters, the Browns are regarded as a team with a record that speaks for itself, but inside the building, Coach Mike Pettine sells a vision of the future that players are buying.
Brian Hartline during a conference call March 10 said he was close to choosing the Super Bowl champion Patriots as his new team after six years with the Dolphins. Instead, the Canton native signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Browns, who have suffered seven-straight losing seasons and who haven’t won a playoff game since 1994.
“There’s a point where the past is the past and it doesn’t really matter,” Hartline said. “Seeing the future and where things are going is most important. I’m not going to choose a place based on where they’ve been.
“(Pettine) is a man’s man, straight to the point, loves football, wants to win. He’s a major part in wanting to be here. I believe in the vision in Cleveland and where they want to head. I look at a defense that’s really well put together and I look at an offensive line that’s one of the tops in the league. Those are building points. We have a lot of that established.”
Josh McCown made similar comments earlier this month to explain why he chose to play quarterback for the Browns instead of signing with another team."
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
Absolutely... We are so lucky that we had to "settle" for Pettine...
...
Me too.....I LOVE Shelton, but am expecting a Beasley, DuPree or Ray type of pick coming before DT......
Last season there were a MILLION tards saying we'd only win 1 to 5 games...then suddenly we were 7-3 and they were like..."doh, how'd that happen??"
But which of those types are 3-down guys? Shelton is and that trumps a rusher in my book. Plus if we stop the run, and Shelton moves us in that direction, then our existing pass rush gets a whole lot better.
-
if shelton is gone @12 and farmer decides to stay pat i can see them taking the best pass rusher on the board in the list mud supplied (if they're still there) since i believe brown will fall to 19. if no great value at DL or LB is available i could see him go against the grain and go for WR there or maybe even RB if gordon or gurley are still on the board.
that's what makes this draft so exciting. got a little taste last year of what farmer can do. just waiting for some magic again this year.
tick tock.
-
Who's the top 12 on your big board? Here's a (consensus?) top 12(ish), one or more of them will probably be available:
Winston
Mariota
White
Cooper
Parker
Sherff
Collins
Fowler
Williamson
Shelton
Beasley
Ray
Dupree
-
With that in mind, I don't see any huge need to trade up, all of those guys can come in and contribute for us, regardless of position. If Farmer thinks the dropoff from 'top tier' to the next - outside of Winston/Williamson to the rest - happens after the first 9 guys, maybe he trades up to 9; if he thinks it's at 16, maybe he goes back to 16.
-
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
Absolutely... We are so lucky that we had to "settle" for Pettine...
...
Me too.....I LOVE Shelton, but am expecting a Beasley, DuPree or Ray type of pick coming before DT......
Last season there were a MILLION tards saying we'd only win 1 to 5 games...then suddenly we were 7-3 and they were like..."doh, how'd that happen??"
But which of those types are 3-down guys? Shelton is and that trumps a rusher in my book. Plus if we stop the run, and Shelton moves us in that direction, then our existing pass rush gets a whole lot better.
But which of those types are 3-down guys? Shelton is and that trumps a rusher in my book. Plus if we stop the run, and Shelton moves us in that direction, then our existing pass rush gets a whole lot better.
Im just guessing of course.....but am not convinced the Browns really want a 3 down guy more than they want a fierce pass rusher....and think that they think they can get better DL help later......when you get the chance, watch todays pressy....Farmer spent some time describing how "specialists" are their preference now and guys who can move all over and come in and out n "waves"(sounds like its turning into hockey).....and then he basically said your old school every down type players are dinosaurs(at that moment he was talking LB's, but said similar things about the line).....
But...Ill take Shelton.....I love him!!....my picks are more based on what I think the Browns will do than what I would do or think they should do.....if that makes sense?
if shelton is gone @12 and farmer decides to stay pat i can see them taking the best pass rusher on the board in the list mud supplied (if they're still there) since i believe brown will fall to 19. if no great value at DL or LB is available i could see him go against the grain and go for WR there or maybe even RB if gordon or gurley are still on the board.
that's what makes this draft so exciting. got a little taste last year of what farmer can do. just waiting for some magic again this year.
tick tock.
It is exciting...really...
And I have faith in Farmer.....and no idea what he'll do......and the guessing continues for 8 more days....tick tick tick
-
I'd say a 340lb Nose with the ability to stop the run and push the pocket trumps any "specialist" you can find. Fact is, that term implies a player has mastered only one part of his craft - be it as a run stopper or pass rusher. When you have a player that does both well, you can't pass on that. Had it not been for Wilfork being a Behemoth against Seattle, they likely don't hold Beast Mode anywhere near in check. There's only a very small handful of defensive lineman in this league that can handle that responsibility. It allows coordinators to get creative with their schemes to help slow down some of the horizontal passing and option looks we get.
-
You get a feel for what is going on with the Browns today with these kind of comments where players are coming away impressed with the Browns organization and wanting to come to Cleveland.
Absolutely... We are so lucky that we had to "settle" for Pettine...
...
Me too.....I LOVE Shelton, but am expecting a Beasley, DuPree or Ray type of pick coming before DT......
Last season there were a MILLION tards saying we'd only win 1 to 5 games...then suddenly we were 7-3 and they were like..."doh, how'd that happen??"
But which of those types are 3-down guys? Shelton is and that trumps a rusher in my book. Plus if we stop the run, and Shelton moves us in that direction, then our existing pass rush gets a whole lot better.
Absolutely... We are so lucky that we had to "settle" for Pettine...
It did seem we had to settle for Pettine. I was getting concerned for a while when so many coaches turned down the head coaching job for the Browns before they finally settled on Pettine (at least six interviewed candidates wound up turning down the Browns head coaching job. There may have been others that also said no) If the Browns caught a break in how they hired Pettine all I can say if any club ever deserved to catch a break it was the the Browns.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login