Skip to content

Official 2015 Draft: Day One Thread

The Browns Board
169 34 7.1k
  • Besides a couple breath holds at the Bears' and Giants' picks, Round One was kinda boring...

  • Boring?

    Somewhat, but several Analysts are calling the Browns Draft solid and smart - not sure when the last time I heard that about a Browns 1st Round Draft.

    Another aspect to consider :

    They didn’t overthink it. Farmer and his staff agreed that Erving was a high-impact player, one of the top offensive players on their board. Next year, the Browns could lose right tackle Mitchell Schwartz to free agency and center Alex Mack to a contract opt-out. Erving is insurance.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/13445/browns-didnt-overthink-it-cam-erving-selection-shows-progress

    I had overlooked the Schwartz Contract expiration, so this pick is a double Insurance Policy.

    Not sure what tonight holds, we still have some D holes to fill, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR or QB (3rd) taken.

  • Yeah, boring... but maybe anticlimactic is a better choice of word.

    I was keyed up going into it and nervous about Shelton falling to us, but once he did then the lack of trading in general and my personal let down at #19 took over.

    Not sure how one player can provide double insurance.

  • Besides a couple breath holds at the Bears' and Giants' picks, Round One was kinda boring...

    @tour2ma said:

    Besides a couple breath holds at the Bears' and Giants' picks, Round One was kinda boring...

    Daddy was here to tell all the good boys and girls the Gmen weren't the problem. If Shelton cleared Chi Town it was a done deal.

    😛

  • The double insurance comes in that he can fill either position (C or T) if one goes due to Contract.

    I thought you were high on Erving when it came up some weeks back?

    The more I think about it, the more I'm liking it - we've got five OL picked in the 1st/2nd, we should be pretty good here for some time.

  • Come on Tour tell Him. Ali Ali Ali The Ali Marpet pick is killing us 😁 It does float like a butterfly and sting like a Bee??

  • I don't see Erving as insurance for Schwartz barring catastrophe. I see Erving as purely C/G and either Bowie or someone yet to be drafted as a RT replacement should we part ways with Mitch.

  • The double insurance comes in that he can fill either position (C or T) if one goes due to Contract.

    I thought you were high on Erving when it came up some weeks back?

    The more I think about it, the more I'm liking it - we've got five OL picked in the 1st/2nd, we should be pretty good here for some time.

    lol...I'm doing te shuffle as I type this...

    @jafbf said:

    The double insurance comes in that he can fill either position (C or T) if one goes due to Contract.

    I thought you were high on Erving when it came up some weeks back?

    First, please forget my double insurance jab. It was around one player filling two spots. In other words, it was just some lame bitching.

    Yes, I was high on the tape I finally found on Cam at Center. His OT tape on the other hand was average at best. He really had trouble in space. So I see him as only solving one problem. I heard no one saying he ranked with the top OTs in this draft... two of whom are moving inside as well. There are OTs still on the board that I rated higher.

    I think he could develop into being a very good Center... probably OG as well, but he is raw and I do not see him beating out any of our interior starters immediately. And that makes him a very pricey back up in the short term.

    Longer term is he a starter for whomever has moved on to another team? Possibly... but that's TBD. Others think it is more certain or that he's "plug'n'play"? Fine...

    Bottom line there are simply other inside picks I see that are both cheaper and I think are more certain starters down the road... and one is named Ali...

  • Fun to read all the good thoughts for a change.