Cribbs at Safety
-
Sorry guys but this is friggin IDIOTIC. You do not take a guy who is a pro bowl player at a position and move him somethere he has never played. That is just stupid and a waste of time and talent. He has been working 3 years at being a reciever and cannot even crack the #3 spot..Why do you think he can learn play safety if he cannot even learn the reciever position in 3 years.. He has been an offensive player 99% of his football career. (til he had to cover kicks.. The guy is the top 1or 2 kick returners in the AFC.. if it aint broke dont fix it..
Being a top kick returner does not exclude a player from being top defensive player as well. There have been plenty of every down DB's that were also really good kick returners. His move to defense would have no bearing on his duties as a kick returner.
C'mon, this is not rocket science we are talking about here. When it comes to the WR position, I don't think it's his inability to learn it as much as it was the last staff's decision not to use him due to the possibility that they simply didn't think he was the best #3 on the team.
I've heard rumors that Cribbs struggles with the playbook and I don't believe it's that serious. If he does struggle understanding a playbook to the point that he isn't effective, then what better thing to do than move him to defense?
He's such a god tackler that having him play every down on defense would be a big plus and I'm sure he'd learn it fairly easily.
Being a top kick returner does not exclude a player from being top defensive player as well. There have been plenty of every down DB's that were also really good kick returners. His move to defense would have no bearing on his duties as a kick returner.
C'mon, this is not rocket science we are talking about here. When it comes to the WR position, I don't think it's his inability to learn it as much as it was the last staff's decision not to use him due to the possibility that they simply didn't think he was the best #3 on the team.
I've heard rumors that Cribbs struggles with the playbook and I don't believe it's that serious. If he does struggle understanding a playbook to the point that he isn't effective, then what better thing to do than move him to defense?
He's such a god tackler that having him play every down on defense would be a big plus and I'm sure he'd learn it fairly easily.
Okay, so a guy struggles to learn the playbook at WR, and you think he'd then be able to learn a defensive playbook, at saftey? Playing saftey and learning the d playbook at that position in a 3-4 is an even bigger learning curve.
-
Being a top kick returner does not exclude a player from being top defensive player as well. There have been plenty of every down DB's that were also really good kick returners. His move to defense would have no bearing on his duties as a kick returner.
C'mon, this is not rocket science we are talking about here. When it comes to the WR position, I don't think it's his inability to learn it as much as it was the last staff's decision not to use him due to the possibility that they simply didn't think he was the best #3 on the team.
I've heard rumors that Cribbs struggles with the playbook and I don't believe it's that serious. If he does struggle understanding a playbook to the point that he isn't effective, then what better thing to do than move him to defense?
He's such a god tackler that having him play every down on defense would be a big plus and I'm sure he'd learn it fairly easily.
Okay, so a guy struggles to learn the playbook at WR, and you think he'd then be able to learn a defensive playbook, at saftey? Playing saftey and learning the d playbook at that position in a 3-4 is an even bigger learning curve.
Masters said:
Okay, so a guy struggles to learn the playbook at WR, and you think he'd then be able to learn a defensive playbook, at saftey? Playing saftey and learning the d playbook at that position in a 3-4 is an even bigger learning curve.I totally agree with this mik, but the guys who were telling us Cribbs couldn't learn the playbook at WR aren't in Berea anymore. (and was it actually confirmed that he couldn't learn the play book? I mean, I know we were all assuming it....)
QB is actually more translatable to Safety than QB is translatable to WR. You're basically the Centerfielder in both instances, seeing something & exploiting it as plays develop, which is different from crisp route running (something he may not have been capable of).
Hell, I just know I love watching him cover kick offs. I'd love to have the presence he brings on KO coverage back in our secondary.

-
Id like to see him at RB personally. He would be a perfect RB, good size speed and vision. Although with him at RB I'd also like to see him blitz the QB and smash a running back as well. I say put him on Offense full time and let him play situational D, like a first down SS.
-
Why does ANYONE think he can transition to safety and succeed? I can't believe 19 people are in the yes camp. All of this is scary. Are you guys for real? You have to be for real and the notion really calls in to question the football knowledge of this message board. If you do put him at safety it's going to be a while before he's productive. The last i checked the need for a WR is just as great for the Stains as a safety. Cribbs was a running QB that transitioned very well to a return man and potentially a solid WR. Why would you put his intangibles on defense? Can the dude even tackle? All of this is Retarded.
EDIT: Apparently of all the browns games I've flipped back and forth too I missed his "tackling" even if the guy can tackle is he worth more to the team on defense than he is on offense? Who knows. I guess it's worth a shot but why not just draft a true safety and keep cribbs in his more natural position. It's not like he's failed as a WR.
-
@jadbf said:
Ahh another steelers fan shows his idiocy. If you knew what the hell you were talking about, you'd know Cribbs was the LEADING TACKLER ON OUR SPECIAL TEAM UNITS. So yeah the "dude" can tackle.As for Cribbs being "pottentially a solid reciever", he was never really used in that capacity so I am not sure where your shining intelect comes up with that. Could he become a reciever? Sure.
DO I personally want him to play safety? no I do not.
But before you come in here waving your opinions around. You might want to understand a bit about the game first...
Idiocy? or the fact that I don't usually watch a lot of Browns games but rather flip back and forth to check scores. I did edit my previous post and corrected myself. Also don't talk to me about "understanding the game" because my understanding of the game is better than a good number of the individuals on this lovely message board but I digress. See my edit I'm sure it was posted pretty damn close to if not before you finished your post.
EDIT: I also said "POTENTIALLY" a solid WR. My shining intellect at least gives me the ability to read and comprehend.
-
AND I also attended Kent State Univeristy so I'm CERTAIN I've watched Josh Cribbs play football more than you or anyone else on this message board.
-
@inspecta said:
Gee I remember a certain coach by the name of Belichick taking one of his better WR (Troy Browns) and flipping his ass over to cornerback without a thought and he seemed to have some success.....it can be done, whether or not it's wise for us to do so is yet to be determined.Oh I know it can be done. I just don't think it's worth it with Cribbs.
-
@inspecta said:
Gee I remember a certain coach by the name of Belichick taking one of his better WR (Troy Browns) and flipping his ass over to cornerback without a thought and he seemed to have some success.....it can be done, whether or not it's wise for us to do so is yet to be determined.And Mangini was the DB coach then, I think.
-
Being a top kick returner does not exclude a player from being top defensive player as well. There have been plenty of every down DB's that were also really good kick returners. His move to defense would have no bearing on his duties as a kick returner.
C'mon, this is not rocket science we are talking about here. When it comes to the WR position, I don't think it's his inability to learn it as much as it was the last staff's decision not to use him due to the possibility that they simply didn't think he was the best #3 on the team.
I've heard rumors that Cribbs struggles with the playbook and I don't believe it's that serious. If he does struggle understanding a playbook to the point that he isn't effective, then what better thing to do than move him to defense?
He's such a god tackler that having him play every down on defense would be a big plus and I'm sure he'd learn it fairly easily.
Okay, so a guy struggles to learn the playbook at WR, and you think he'd then be able to learn a defensive playbook, at saftey? Playing saftey and learning the d playbook at that position in a 3-4 is an even bigger learning curve.
Masters said:
Okay, so a guy struggles to learn the playbook at WR, and you think he'd then be able to learn a defensive playbook, at saftey? Playing saftey and learning the d playbook at that position in a 3-4 is an even bigger learning curve.Why?
-
The kid was a QB . If he can read defenses he can learn any position . I am not saying I agree with the decision because I don't . But as far as a learning curve I'd say Josh can learn any of it . jmho
-
@inspecta said:
Dude, I have every single hour of the Browns seasons on my DVR, I have seen Cribbs make more tackles on special teams than our starting linebackers had in games. The kid is a heat seeking missle, every play on kicks and punts you ALWAYS see 16 either on the tackle or very near it.Just the type of plays you need a safety to be able to make. How long has it been since we saw a Safety in Cleveland that attacks a ball carrier like Cribbs will?
-
They need to find a position where Cribbs is the MOST effective and just let him be. If they put him at safety and he becomes a Bob Sanders type player then leave him there. I don't like the idea of having him return kicks or for that matter do anything on special teams on top of being a safety. Having him on the field as a safety would allow us to utilize his talents MORE during the course of the game rather than just a few plays on special teams. I would only be up for him playing ST and SS if he didn't pan out at SS and they used him in situational but if he becomes a full time safety then he's done on ST.
-
Why does ANYONE think he can transition to safety and succeed? I can't believe 19 people are in the yes camp. All of this is scary. Are you guys for real? You have to be for real and the notion really calls in to question the football knowledge of this message board. If you do put him at safety it's going to be a while before he's productive. The last i checked the need for a WR is just as great for the Stains as a safety. Cribbs was a running QB that transitioned very well to a return man and potentially a solid WR. Why would you put his intangibles on defense? Can the dude even tackle? All of this is Retarded.
EDIT: Apparently of all the browns games I've flipped back and forth too I missed his "tackling" even if the guy can tackle is he worth more to the team on defense than he is on offense? Who knows. I guess it's worth a shot but why not just draft a true safety and keep cribbs in his more natural position. It's not like he's failed as a WR.
Why does ANYONE think he can transition to safety and succeed? I can't believe 19 people are in the yes camp. All of this is scary. Are you guys for real? You have to be for real and the notion really calls in to question the football knowledge of this message board. If you do put him at safety it's going to be a while before he's productive. The last i checked the need for a WR is just as great for the Stains as a safety. Cribbs was a running QB that transitioned very well to a return man and potentially a solid WR. Why would you put his intangibles on defense? Can the dude even tackle? All of this is Retarded.
EDIT: Apparently of all the browns games I've flipped back and forth too I missed his "tackling" even if the guy can tackle is he worth more to the team on defense than he is on offense? Who knows. I guess it's worth a shot but why not just draft a true safety and keep cribbs in his more natural position. It's not like he's failed as a WR.
First you question the knowledge of the fans here...You say the notions are scary and ask if we are for real.......You say it's Retarded.....Then you admit you "Missed" his tackling and also admit that you "Dont know".
Since you don't know, wouldn't be wise to hold off on all the adjectives until you do know?
Brilliant!
-
I have been saying for 3 years that Cribbs would make a heck of a safety.
He would be at a pro-bowl level this year had we done this 2-3 years ago.
Better late than never.
-
@inspecta said:
Dude, I have every single hour of the Browns seasons on my DVR, I have seen Cribbs make more tackles on special teams than our starting linebackers had in games. The kid is a heat seeking missle, every play on kicks and punts you ALWAYS see 16 either on the tackle or very near it.A move to saftey isn't THAT far fetched, or out of the realm of possibilty of working. He would still contribute in the same way as before, just in a different capacity.
Agreed.
99.9% of the KO's are covered by Cribbs. If he doesn't make the tackle, he blows up the primary blocker & the tackle is immediately made after that. You know who is immediately behind #16 on those coverages? #64. Does anybody here think Pontbriand is the 2nd fastest person on the field? Didn't think so. He & Cribbs have the smarts to read the formations, & Cribbs has the disturbing athletic ability to make the play.
If he can pick up the position (I believe he can, just maybe not in 1 offseason), I think he's got the ability to bring the kind of fear & presence in our secondary that Sean Taylor did in Washington. Without the attitude & piss poor decision making after the play.
#16 Can lay wood.
-
ideally i would use Cribbs in all three phases of the game, but only on a limited basis.
on offense i'd have him line up next to the QB as a RB hybrid, especially in 3rd dn situations. he'd offer pass-protection and blitz pick-ups, he can block for others or run the ball himself, catch the ball as a wide-out, or even pass it himself. most importantly he'd function as a supplemental safety-valve for our young quarterbacks as a last resort dump off target. i'd have him around the ball in an opportunistic way, but not expending energy unless necessary.
on D i'd ease him into the secondary in dime situations giving him gradually more as he shows he can take it. i'd try to hold off until the second half of the game for the bulk of his play where it would quickly become a common theme in CLE to unleash a fresh predator on tired D's adding much needed disruptive mayhem late in the game.
using him this way will continue to allow him to contribute to special teams doing the very thing he loves best--tackling returners as the gunner. someone else can return them. too much risk having him on the return team IMO.
and Ytown don't think i'm biting your ideas, you can search my posts and see i said this months ago.
glad we can actually agree on something, playing the devil's advocate has gone over both our heads in previous threads.

-
Yea he covers exceptionally well. He can lay the wood. I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do on D. I'd do it in like nickle and dime situations like an above poster said. I"m just worried about him coming up in run support and tryin to knock a RB out cold and hurting himself as well. I saw a couple times he went in for big hits on kick-offs and such and it looked like he may have knocked himself out... but if it'll better our team... I'm all for it
-
Masters said:
Okay, so a guy struggles to learn the playbook at WR, and you think he'd then be able to learn a defensive playbook, at saftey? Playing saftey and learning the d playbook at that position in a 3-4 is an even bigger learning curve.Why?
Why?
Why is it a bigger learning curve? Because the saftey has to fully understand the defensive play call, where every other defensive player is on the field for that play, and be able to read the entire offense. If it is true that Cribbs struggled with learning the playbook and reads at WR (which is less reads and learning), then there is zero reason to believe he can learn even more than he was asked at WR and grasp it all.
-
The kid was a QB . If he can read defenses he can learn any position . I am not saying I agree with the decision because I don't . But as far as a learning curve I'd say Josh can learn any of it . jmho
The kid was a QB . If he can read defenses he can learn any position . I am not saying I agree with the decision because I don't . But as far as a learning curve I'd say Josh can learn any of it . jmho
Who says he can read a D? There is a reason he had to move to another positon coming out of college. He also played in a spread running QB offense at college. I am pretty sure reading a D as a QB was never one of Cribbs's better skills.
-
@inspecta said:
Well you have to look at it this way.He can still return punts and kicks, clearly his most valuble contribution to the team, he's a game changer at the return position.
He never settled in as a WR, I'll never know why, his hands aren't that great, but still....
Dude, I have every single hour of the Browns seasons on my DVR, I have seen Cribbs make more tackles on special teams than our starting linebackers had in games. The kid is a heat seeking missle, every play on kicks and punts you ALWAYS see 16 either on the tackle or very near it.
A move to saftey isn't THAT far fetched, or out of the realm of possibilty of working. He would still contribute in the same way as before, just in a different capacity.
The WildDawg formation is a fad that won't last in the NFL, defensive coordinators will really start hemming that in next season.
A gunner on ST and playing Saftey are night and day. A gunner isn't sifting through his own players and linemen to get to the ball carrier.
Plus, you move Cribbs to saftey, he won't be on special teams anymore. So who replaces all his ST tackles that usually result in no return? Who replaces Cribbs returning KO and PR, which generally gives CLE a shorter field?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login