What a Difference A Year Makes...
-
Interesting you mention that...
Saw some shots of the Day 1 War Room in a video on the team's site and Jimmuh was not "at the table". He was with a group off to the side that included a few wives and other unknown folk... more of an observation area.
Doesn't mean he was not involved at all, but at least he was not physically in the middle of things.
Interesting you mention that...
Saw some shots of the Day 1 War Room in a video on the team's site and Jimmuh was not "at the table". He was with a group off to the side that included a few wives and other unknown folk... more of an observation area.
Doesn't mean he was not involved at all, but at least he was not physically in the middle of things.
Pretty simple. Manziel was Haslam's pick, Farmer rolled with it and it backfired in an epic manner. Now Farmer realizes he's not a talent evaluator and should keep his mouth shut and just sign the checks.
-
Interesting you mention that...
Saw some shots of the Day 1 War Room in a video on the team's site and Jimmuh was not "at the table". He was with a group off to the side that included a few wives and other unknown folk... more of an observation area.
Doesn't mean he was not involved at all, but at least he was not physically in the middle of things.
Pretty simple. Manziel was Haslam's pick, Farmer rolled with it and it backfired in an epic manner. Now Farmer realizes he's not a talent evaluator and should keep his mouth shut and just sign the checks.
Pretty simple. Manziel was Haslam's pick, Farmer rolled with it and it backfired in an epic manner. Now Farmer realizes he's not a talent evaluator and should keep his mouth shut and just sign the checks.
Did Farmer get a promotion or just merely taking a page from Holmgren's book?
I know it was a typo, just couldn't resist.
-
Day 3 picks left are 4.16, 4.17, 6.13, 6.19 and 7.2 if I did the math correctly from this article plus the numbers in each round overall.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/05/what_picks_do_the_cleveland_br_3.html
Overall they are #115, #117, #189, #195 and #219.
No picks in the 5th round for now so the 4th is where we make or break a great draft from an already very decent draft.
-
i have no idea what today will bring when it comes to the browns draft. they are certainly sticking to their board.
i saw a report that they are sticking with the QBs they already have in-house. but who knows maybe that's another smoke screen. (sorta like the mariota rumor that had a lot of us jumping out of our skins).
if no QB and WRs are not high on farmer wish list then where do they go from here? more Oline depth? more Dline? safeties were non-existent in this crop of players this year and we loaded up on dbs last year.
5 more picks. do you package into a trade up and target 2 quality guys? i'm stumped.
but, gotta say, farmer is impressing the piss out of me with the way he's attacking his board.
-
I have been in a state of awe with our draft. To me, Nasty Nate Orchard is the cherry on top of the two first rounders I was wishing for. Win the game in the trenches. Hit them harder than they can hit you. How long has it been since we've had a team that could do that?
-
Nice post Tour....
All I know is that last season we had a few problems.....
#1) we couldnt stop the run .......meet Danny Shelton
#2) we had no depth at O Line...meet Cameron Erving
#3) then we lost sheard..............meet Nate Ochard
Now......bring me some depth at Safety...and maybe a TE or WR who have a chance to make the team.....and a kicker
-
with 5 picks left to go, I saw we see us grab 2-3 more players by trading up or trading away for next year. I'm sure we will use our two 4th round picks, maybe surrender one of our 6th rounders to move one of them up into the beginning of the round, or trade both 6ths to move up into the late 4th early 5th. When it comes down to it, we don't need to bring in 10 rookie draft picks. So sticking with what we have left doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Also keep in mind that we will likely have at least a few comp picks come next year. I think we only signed 1 guy who's contract actually ran out, and the rest were released from their teams, while lost 4-5 starters that have signed else where (5 counting Rubin but I can't remember if he signed with anyone). That list also includes 1 pro bowler. So I wouldn't be surprised to see us with 4 comps next year. This makes me believe that we will be trading more picks this year to move up rather trade away for next year like we have done the past two years, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see us trade for a future pick so we have some for trading ammo come next draft since the comps can't be moved around.
-
Nice post Tour....
All I know is that last season we had a few problems.....
#1) we couldnt stop the run .......meet Danny Shelton
#2) we had no depth at O Line...meet Cameron Erving
#3) then we lost sheard..............meet Nate Ochard
Now......bring me some depth at Safety...and maybe a TE or WR who have a chance to make the team.....and a kicker
Nice post Tour....
All I know is that last season we had a few problems.....
#1) we couldnt stop the run .......meet Danny Shelton
#2) we had no depth at O Line...meet Cameron Erving
#3) then we lost sheard..............meet Nate Ochard
Now......bring me some depth at Safety...and maybe a TE or WR who have a chance to make the team.....and a kicker
Please don't draft a kicker, please.
-
I'm amazed that Orchard was there. The Browns have done a ton of research
on every aspect of this draft, they had to, to have pulled that one off. Every player they have
drafted is a fit, and a game changer for them. I really don't care what the appraiser's "grades" are
for the Browns' draft - the proof is how dramatic an impact this draft will be for them.
Don't need flashy, need solid.
Personally, I want Manton, the kicker.
-
Nice post Tour....
All I know is that last season we had a few problems.....
#1) we couldnt stop the run .......meet Danny Shelton
#2) we had no depth at O Line...meet Cameron Erving
#3) then we lost sheard..............meet Nate Ochard
Now......bring me some depth at Safety...and maybe a TE or WR who have a chance to make the team.....and a kicker
Nice post Tour....
All I know is that last season we had a few problems.....
#1) we couldnt stop the run .......meet Danny Shelton
#2) we had no depth at O Line...meet Cameron Erving
#3) then we lost sheard..............meet Nate Ochard
Now......bring me some depth at Safety...and maybe a TE or WR who have a chance to make the team.....and a kicker
I really think WR & Safety may come via UDFA.
At TE, O'Leary & Uzomah are interesting & Lambo, PK out of Texas A&M may be worth drafting late.
Mike
-
Listening to the NFL Network Day 2 recap and Mayock had this to say:
"My most significant impression is that a year ago the Cleveland Browns went with risk in the first round: Johnny Manziel and the Defensive Back, Justin Gilbert.
And this year... a little bit different. They went solid. They went meat and potatoes: Danny Shelton and Camreon Erving in the first round. Both, I think, are going to be excellent football players.
Then they get:
- Nate Orchard, an outside linebacker with an ability to rush the passer.
- Duke Johnson, a tailback that will be a perfect complement to their two, big backs.
And then they trade back into the 3rd round to get their 5th pick of the two days, Xavier Cooper, a five technique that fits their scheme.
So nothing flashy, but I think all five of them (are) good football players."
While I agreed with Mike, as I often find myself doing, I wondered: why the difference?
Certainly a year's practice in this entire process has helped, but even more I think their depth of understanding their team and it's needs is almost immeasurably greater.
This ship is turning and it is now picking up speed.
Shane who?
I wonder what Day 3 will bring...
Listening to the NFL Network Day 2 recap and Mayock had this to say:
"My most significant impression is that a year ago the Cleveland Browns went with risk in the first round: Johnny Manziel and the Defensive Back, Justin Gilbert.
And this year... a little bit different. They went solid. They went meat and potatoes: Danny Shelton and Camreon Erving in the first round. Both, I think, are going to be excellent football players.
Then they get:
- Nate Orchard, an outside linebacker with an ability to rush the passer.
- Duke Johnson, a tailback that will be a perfect complement to their two, big backs.
And then they trade back into the 3rd round to get their 5th pick of the two days, Xavier Cooper, a five technique that fits their scheme.
So nothing flashy, but I think all five of them (are) good football players."
While I agreed with Mike, as I often find myself doing, I wondered: why the difference?
Certainly a year's practice in this entire process has helped, but even more I think their depth of understanding their team and it's needs is almost immeasurably greater.
This ship is turning and it is now picking up speed.
Shane who?
I wonder what Day 3 will bring...
Was listening to an interview with an Analyst on the Browns 1st Round.
They were saying that this year everyone was more relaxed, more confident, and seemed better prepared.
This, they attributed to Farmer barely having two months to prepare for the Draft last year when he became GM - they said that's really a tall order to fill as it really takes about a year to get all the pieces together.
I think we all keep forgetting how things changed last February . . . probably sheds a little more light on some of the issues we had with our top picks.
So far this year, my only puzzlement is why we passed on WR Strong and why we Drafted another RB (we now have four RB's).
Four QB's (so far) and four RB's - wondering which from each group is not going to make the Roster this year.
-
Farmer is driving competition and turning those stones.....just as promised.....
We carried 4 backs all of last year, tho one was typically inactive each game....but definitely DIDNT have one with the pass catching and return skills that our new guy has.....an upgrade to group for sure....
Still dont see a FB tho......so, maybe we draft yet another.....???
-
I have been in a state of awe with our draft. To me, Nasty Nate Orchard is the cherry on top of the two first rounders I was wishing for. Win the game in the trenches. Hit them harder than they can hit you. How long has it been since we've had a team that could do that?
I do not see how we turn two 6ths and a 7th into two more 4's... math doesn't work.
I think we may well have shot our wad and got our last, really targeted player at pick 96 and I do not see us taking 5 more.
I still expect a couple out and up trades to 2016. Turn a 4th into a 3rd; 6th into a 5th. Leaves 3, barring a trade down.
... Nasty Nate Orchard ...
Nickname ALERT!
-
"The Browns ... are ... drafting well?I know this is a sentence that may not get uttered all too often, but I really like what the Browns have done over the first two days of the draft. Following up a solid first round in which they grabbed Danny Shelton and Cameron Erving, they added pass rusher Nate Orchard out of Utah, running back Duke Johnson out of Miami and defensive lineman Xavier Cooper out of Washington State in the second and third rounds.I like all those picks. A lot. Orchard will upgrade the pass rush, Johnson will add a lightning element to their backfield (Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell are more one-speed guys), and Xavier Cooper is one of the most athletic defensive linemen in this draft. Cleveland is adding quality players on both sides of the ball in this draft, and they still have five picks today."
-
Farmer isn't taking a page from Holmgren's book.. he's better than Holmgren.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login