Skip to content

"Play like a Brown"

The Browns Board
160 30 5.3k
  • We don't have any lame slogans for our players. I didn't mention A&M. You argue against things that no one has stated.

  • no they just have lame slogans for themselves. lol.

  • @mld-woody said:

    So people that like the phrase "Play Like A Brown"... what about phrases from other teams you may not like? (ex, Michigan Man)

    Do you like the idea of both phrases, and what they stand for? Or do you just like the one that represents your team, and not the one that doesnt?

    I have always liked the motto of the Raiders, "Committment to Excellence"

    "Commitment to Excellence" comes from a quote of Vince Lombardi, “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I have always liked the motto of the Raiders, "Committment to Excellence"

    "Commitment to Excellence" comes from a quote of Vince Lombardi, “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”

    A Quote from Vince Lombardi, " What the Hell's going on out Here" has been used by many of us for Years as Browns Fans. "Play Like A Brown" is well overdue.. I'll take it for Now. Things they are a Changing and Good QB play maybe our last piece...

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    I have always liked the motto of the Raiders, "Committment to Excellence"

    "Commitment to Excellence" comes from a quote of Vince Lombardi, “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”

    A Quote from Vince Lombardi, " What the Hell's going on out Here" has been used by many of us for Years as Browns Fans. "Play Like A Brown" is well overdue.. I'll take it for Now. Things they are a Changing and Good QB play maybe our last piece...

    @gumby73 said:

    A Quote from Vince Lombardi, " What the Hell's going on out Here" has been used by many of us for Years as Browns Fans. "Play Like A Brown" is well overdue.. I'll take it for Now. Things they are a Changing and Good QB play maybe our last piece...

    I like "Play Like a Brown" just fine. In another post someone asked about other teams motto's and Commitment to Excellence came to mind.

  • no they just have lame slogans for themselves. lol.

    @miktoxic said:

    no they just have lame slogans for themselves. lol.

    It was fan-made. You should really get your hatred for Johnny checked out by a professional. I'm sorry if he flicked you off once or something.

  • Well something has to change. I saw NFL Network do a program on top 10 snakebit franchises this morning. At least the Browns are #1 at something, no matter how dubious the honor. 😆

  • Well something has to change. I saw NFL Network do a program on top 10 snakebit franchises this morning. At least the Browns are #1 at something, no matter how dubious the honor. 😆

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well something has to change. I saw NFL Network do a program on top 10 snakebit franchises this morning. At least the Browns are #1 at something, no matter how dubious the honor. 😆

    The Browns have had more than their share of bad breaks but sometimes I think they get played up more in Cleveland. Just this last season I don't think anything the Browns ever did could match how badly the Packers gave away their play off game to Seattle. Then Seattle returned the favor with giving the Super Bowl to the Patriots with the interception at the goal line.

    I think one of the things that needs to change is to quit looking back. I don't see either the Packers or the Seahawks dwelling on those losses for decades but putting those losses behind them and going forward. Pettine seems to be saying the same thing when he tells the players to break off the rear view mirror and look forward.

  • I've always been partial to "Just win, goddammit."

  • We don't have any lame slogans for our players. I didn't mention A&M. You argue against things that no one has stated.

    @wargograw said:

    We don't have any lame slogans for our players. I didn't mention A&M. You argue against things that no one has stated.

    What about "Farmers Fight"?

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think that is exactly what you said "they don't count".

    No one knows more than I....and a few others around here about the Browns history the last 50 years since their last title in 1964. I have lived through every minute of it. You have been around for what? less than half that time. So don't lecture to us about that shit. (and the Lions won 3...not 4 titles in the 50s.

    Look through the thread I didn't say that don't count just that for me what happened 60 years ago doesn't mean shit to me, sorry. I acknowledge that they exist.

    @baconhound said:

    Look through the thread I didn't say that don't count just that for me what happened 60 years ago doesn't mean shit to me, sorry. I acknowledge that they exist.

    I have said over and over and over again on here that the ONLY titles that "Count" ...that really mean anything to the current day are the last one and the next one. Everything else is just history. So, the fact is, the 2013 Seattle Seahawks championship does not count a cabbage farts worth more than the 1920 Akron Pros title.

    So there is your lesson for the Day: Hail to the Champion Patriots. Now lets bring on the challenge to them.

  • So people that like the phrase "Play Like A Brown"... what about phrases from other teams you may not like? (ex, Michigan Man)

    Do you like the idea of both phrases, and what they stand for? Or do you just like the one that represents your team, and not the one that doesnt?

    @mld-woody said:

    So people that like the phrase "Play Like A Brown"... what about phrases from other teams you may not like? (ex, Michigan Man)

    Do you like the idea of both phrases, and what they stand for? Or do you just like the one that represents your team, and not the one that doesnt?

    The most important Michigan Man ever....the guy that invented the phrase, was a Buckeye. Of course you knew that..

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    I have always liked the motto of the Raiders, "Committment to Excellence"

    "Commitment to Excellence" comes from a quote of Vince Lombardi, “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”

    A Quote from Vince Lombardi, " What the Hell's going on out Here" has been used by many of us for Years as Browns Fans. "Play Like A Brown" is well overdue.. I'll take it for Now. Things they are a Changing and Good QB play maybe our last piece...

    @gumby73 said:

    A Quote from Vince Lombardi, " What the Hell's going on out Here" has been used by many of us for Years as Browns Fans. "Play Like A Brown" is well overdue.. I'll take it for Now. Things they are a Changing and Good QB play maybe our last piece...

    The most applicable Lombardi saying to these Browns? "Its all about blocking and tackling"........and that is what the Browns drafted for...to be the best blocking and tackling team they could be.

    And that's a good thing.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Well something has to change. I saw NFL Network do a program on top 10 snakebit franchises this morning. At least the Browns are #1 at something, no matter how dubious the honor. 😆

    The Browns have had more than their share of bad breaks but sometimes I think they get played up more in Cleveland. Just this last season I don't think anything the Browns ever did could match how badly the Packers gave away their play off game to Seattle. Then Seattle returned the favor with giving the Super Bowl to the Patriots with the interception at the goal line.

    I think one of the things that needs to change is to quit looking back. I don't see either the Packers or the Seahawks dwelling on those losses for decades but putting those losses behind them and going forward. Pettine seems to be saying the same thing when he tells the players to break off the rear view mirror and look forward.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    The Browns have had more than their share of bad breaks but sometimes I think they get played up more in Cleveland. Just this last season I don't think anything the Browns ever did could match how badly the Packers gave away their play off game to Seattle. Then Seattle returned the favor with giving the Super Bowl to the Patriots with the interception at the goal line.

    I think one of the things that needs to change is to quit looking back. I don't see either the Packers or the Seahawks dwelling on those losses for decades but putting those losses behind them and going forward. Pettine seems to be saying the same thing when he tells the players to break off the rear view mirror and look forward.

    OK, if the Seahawks and the Packers have had one or two "bad deals" that still does not compare to the litany of bad breaks the Browns have had. Not really.

  • @wargograw said:

    We don't have any lame slogans for our players. I didn't mention A&M. You argue against things that no one has stated.

    What about "Farmers Fight"?

    @tour2ma said:

    What about "Farmers Fight"?

    Just something fans say in the stands during games. Not comparable to "Michigan Man" or "play like a Brown."

  • name me the slogan where every player slaps the sign on the way out to the notre dame field of football?

  • name me the slogan where every player slaps the sign on the way out to the notre dame field of football?

    @miktoxic said:

    name me the slogan where every player slaps the sign on the way out to the notre dame field of football?

    Win One for The Gipper

  • Personally, when I first heard "Play like a Brown", I admit I rolled my eyes.

    But I was recently thinking about George Allen becoming coach of the Redskins and the "Over the Hill Gang".

    The grizzled vets recalled that at the end of the first day of training camp Allen suddenly shouted "Lets hear

    3 cheers for the Redskins! Hip, hip...", and the vets looked at one another going What.The.Fuck.

    Fast forward to the end of the season, the Skins had just rolled the Cowboys in the playoffs 24-3, and the famous

    NFL Films video of Allen jumping up and down, clapping his hands, leading the celebration in the locker room. Allen

    suddenly shouted, "Let's hear 3 cheers for the Redskins!! Hip, hip.." and the grizzled vets all responded with an

    ear-splitting HOORAY!.

    The point is, yeah, it sounds pretty corny to a bunch of professional athletes, generating major eye rolls.

    But if the players buy into it, then amazing things can happen. It's about changing the culture of losing, hell,

    the expectation that we're going to lose. Again. Break off the rear view mirror. What's behind us doesn't matter.

  • name me the slogan where every player slaps the sign on the way out to the notre dame field of football?

    @miktoxic said:

    name me the slogan where every player slaps the sign on the way out to the notre dame field of football?

    Play like a Champion Today

  • @miktoxic said:

    name me the slogan where every player slaps the sign on the way out to the notre dame field of football?

    Play like a Champion Today

    @mark-o said:

    Play like a Champion Today

    Yep!

  • so this slogan thing isn't just some PR move........