"Play like a Brown"
-
most of us (i guess in older generations) had fan loyalty engrained in them as kids. i mean i went to sandusky HS so i rooted for the blue streaks. i root for all the college teams in ohio, not just the bucs. the closet pro teams were out of cleveland so our family attached ourselves to them. just because the browns haven't won a super bowl in my lifetime doesn't mean i stopped rooting for them.
i live in NY now. i lived in boston when bird played for the celtics, when neely, poulin and bourque played for the bruins. did i pull for them? sure. did i give up my ohio colors to root for them? hell no.
-
Stuart said:
Your right, it's unimaginable that any browns fan would think that way if since 1970 the Browns appeared in 8 SB's, won 6, won more games than any team in the league, and have had only 3 head coaches, most playoff wins, berths, division titles...all stemming as a result being one of the most stable franchises in the league.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_standings_since_AFL–NFL_merger
Also don't you think your statement is a tad hypocritical?
Steeler fans don't think God created the earth, sun, moon, and stars in 1970 any more than you think God created the sun, moon, and stars in 1945.
It's clearly evident you think that way.
You seem to be an angry dude that just likes to argue but for the sake of it.
I have lived in Upstate NY my entire life. The teams I root for were passed on to me from my father, which I think happens very often. The only team I have ever bailed on was the Miami Dolphins. Like many kids during the Marino era I was fascinated with how awesome he was but when he lost the SuperBowl against the Skins I was devastated and began rooting for my Dad's team the Browns.
I would also add that the previous Championships won by the Browns aren't irrelevant but when you are talking about them as a franchise, for me, the play over the last 50 years is more relevant than what they did back then.
you two need to hold hands and jump from this sinking ship which is the browns and go find a new band wagon team.
you could root for the patriots ("oops! they're in trouble stuart! we have to find a safer choice!" says baconhound in a squirrley voice.)
you could root for tampa bay because they got the shiny new hood ornament that you both cried about ("no, it'll take them too long to win, bacon. and i must root for a super bowl winner before i turn 25 or my life won't be complete!" cried little stuart the mouse.)
i don't care who you dudes root for. if it's for the browns can you be a little more positive? who doesn't want their team to be champs? being a browns fan is more than just wins and losses. until you figure that out, you might want to STFU.
you two need to hold hands and jump from this sinking ship which is the browns and go find a new band wagon team.
you could root for the patriots ("oops! they're in trouble stuart! we have to find a safer choice!" says baconhound in a squirrley voice.)
you could root for tampa bay because they got the shiny new hood ornament that you both cried about ("no, it'll take them too long to win, bacon. and i must root for a super bowl winner before i turn 25 or my life won't be complete!" cried little stuart the mouse.)
i don't care who you dudes root for. if it's for the browns can you be a little more positive? who doesn't want their team to be champs? being a browns fan is more than just wins and losses. until you figure that out, you might want to STFU.
I just keep all the teams jerseys and change with whomever is the winner.
-
Like many kids during the Marino era I was fascinated with how awesome he was but when he lost the SuperBowl against the Skins I was devastated and began rooting for my Dad's team the Browns.
That would be a great story if Marino had actually played the Redskins in a Super Bowl.
Its funny how you became a Miami fan because you liked Marino, then dumped them the first year because he lost the super bowl. And you were so devastated after investing almost a whole year in being a Dolphin fan that you forgot who they even played????? Spoken like the king of front runners.
Sorry forgot it was the 49ers in 84, that was 30 years ago and I don't remember a ton from when I was 10.That would be a great story if Marino had actually played the Redskins in a Super Bowl.
Its funny how you became a Miami fan because you liked Marino, then dumped them the first year because he lost the super bowl. And you were so devastated after investing almost a whole year in being a Dolphin fan that you forgot who they even played????? Spoken like the king of front runners.
-
you two need to hold hands and jump from this sinking ship which is the browns and go find a new band wagon team.
you could root for the patriots ("oops! they're in trouble stuart! we have to find a safer choice!" says baconhound in a squirrley voice.)
you could root for tampa bay because they got the shiny new hood ornament that you both cried about ("no, it'll take them too long to win, bacon. and i must root for a super bowl winner before i turn 25 or my life won't be complete!" cried little stuart the mouse.)
i don't care who you dudes root for. if it's for the browns can you be a little more positive? who doesn't want their team to be champs? being a browns fan is more than just wins and losses. until you figure that out, you might want to STFU.
Stuart, I believe, is a Steeler fan and has really made no bones about that. And that is fine. Anyone born and raised in Western PA rightfully should be a Steeler fan.
BaconHound though is a little harder to figure out. He says he at times has rooted for the Celtics, then the Yankees, and there was the Dolphins, and now the Browns?
He says he is from upstate NY. I can understand upstate NY people being Yankee fans....I think most upstate New Yawkers are Yankee fans (over the Mets who are more a NJ/Long Island team). But why a Celtic fan? Why not a Knick fan? (because the Celts were winners?) And the Dolphins? Unless he is a member of the Jewish NY/Miami Mafia, I don't get that. Because he liked Marino? (but he didn't like Kelly....the upstate NY guy?). But he jumped off that wagon to become a Browns fan....because his Dad is a Browns fan. I can see that. I just wonder why it wasn't that way from the start?
Stuart, I believe, is a Steeler fan and has really made no bones about that. And that is fine. Anyone born and raised in Western PA rightfully should be a Steeler fan.
BaconHound though is a little harder to figure out. He says he at times has rooted for the Celtics, then the Yankees, and there was the Dolphins, and now the Browns?
He says he is from upstate NY. I can understand upstate NY people being Yankee fans....I think most upstate New Yawkers are Yankee fans (over the Mets who are more a NJ/Long Island team). But why a Celtic fan? Why not a Knick fan? (because the Celts were winners?) And the Dolphins? Unless he is a member of the Jewish NY/Miami Mafia, I don't get that. Because he liked Marino? (but he didn't like Kelly....the upstate NY guy?). But he jumped off that wagon to become a Browns fan....because his Dad is a Browns fan. I can see that. I just wonder why it wasn't that way from the start?
You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.
-
Stuart, I believe, is a Steeler fan and has really made no bones about that. And that is fine. Anyone born and raised in Western PA rightfully should be a Steeler fan.
BaconHound though is a little harder to figure out. He says he at times has rooted for the Celtics, then the Yankees, and there was the Dolphins, and now the Browns?
He says he is from upstate NY. I can understand upstate NY people being Yankee fans....I think most upstate New Yawkers are Yankee fans (over the Mets who are more a NJ/Long Island team). But why a Celtic fan? Why not a Knick fan? (because the Celts were winners?) And the Dolphins? Unless he is a member of the Jewish NY/Miami Mafia, I don't get that. Because he liked Marino? (but he didn't like Kelly....the upstate NY guy?). But he jumped off that wagon to become a Browns fan....because his Dad is a Browns fan. I can see that. I just wonder why it wasn't that way from the start?
You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.
You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.
There should be one that says you can't just jump around and choose new teams too root for just because they're winning though.
-
You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.
There should be one that says you can't just jump around and choose new teams too root for just because they're winning though.
-
Stuart, I believe, is a Steeler fan and has really made no bones about that. And that is fine. Anyone born and raised in Western PA rightfully should be a Steeler fan.
BaconHound though is a little harder to figure out. He says he at times has rooted for the Celtics, then the Yankees, and there was the Dolphins, and now the Browns?
He says he is from upstate NY. I can understand upstate NY people being Yankee fans....I think most upstate New Yawkers are Yankee fans (over the Mets who are more a NJ/Long Island team). But why a Celtic fan? Why not a Knick fan? (because the Celts were winners?) And the Dolphins? Unless he is a member of the Jewish NY/Miami Mafia, I don't get that. Because he liked Marino? (but he didn't like Kelly....the upstate NY guy?). But he jumped off that wagon to become a Browns fan....because his Dad is a Browns fan. I can see that. I just wonder why it wasn't that way from the start?
You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.
You do realize there isn't a Constitutional Amendment saying you must root for your geographically closest franchise.
No, but there is the Law of Natural Selection that says survival of the fittest and that FRAKs are the weakest link that will be stampeded into the ground.
-
I agree and that's why I've bee a Browns fan through the drive, the fumble and the tire fire that started in 99
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
-
I agree and that's why I've bee a Browns fan through the drive, the fumble and the tire fire that started in 99
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
I really don't know what you mean. The purpose of the thread was about the slogan "play like a Brown" and I think it's a useless gimmick meant to inspire fans but does little to actually change the organization. True change comes by hiring the right people and drafting the right players. I have no issue with the Championships won pre-SuperBowl and the Browns once, a really long time ago, were the best team in football. I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.
-
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
I really don't know what you mean. The purpose of the thread was about the slogan "play like a Brown" and I think it's a useless gimmick meant to inspire fans but does little to actually change the organization. True change comes by hiring the right people and drafting the right players. I have no issue with the Championships won pre-SuperBowl and the Browns once, a really long time ago, were the best team in football. I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.
I really don't know what you mean. The purpose of the thread was about the slogan "play like a Brown" and I think it's a useless gimmick meant to inspire fans but does little to actually change the organization. True change comes by hiring the right people and drafting the right players. I have no issue with the Championships won pre-SuperBowl and the Browns once, a really long time ago, were the best team in football. I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.
Well, none of us like the shit storm that has been happening post 99. And maybe the slogan is a gimmick....and inspires little. That is not my issue with you. I basically agree with all that.
But you said "Pre Super Bowl titles don't count". That was my issue. Are you retracting that comment?
-
The slogan isn't a mantra to excite like Shottenheimer's "the gleam" silliness.
It's more just a descriptive term of what Farmer and Pettine and co. are looking for
as far as the kind of players they want to build the team with.
-
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
I really don't know what you mean. The purpose of the thread was about the slogan "play like a Brown" and I think it's a useless gimmick meant to inspire fans but does little to actually change the organization. True change comes by hiring the right people and drafting the right players. I have no issue with the Championships won pre-SuperBowl and the Browns once, a really long time ago, were the best team in football. I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.
I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.
you know where the door is.
bye bye. have a nice day. drive safe.
grab a cookie on the way out.
-
I really don't know what you mean. The purpose of the thread was about the slogan "play like a Brown" and I think it's a useless gimmick meant to inspire fans but does little to actually change the organization. True change comes by hiring the right people and drafting the right players. I have no issue with the Championships won pre-SuperBowl and the Browns once, a really long time ago, were the best team in football. I don't feel that means I, being a fan, should blindly support the shit storm that has been post-99.
Well, none of us like the shit storm that has been happening post 99. And maybe the slogan is a gimmick....and inspires little. That is not my issue with you. I basically agree with all that.
But you said "Pre Super Bowl titles don't count". That was my issue. Are you retracting that comment?
Well, none of us like the shit storm that has been happening post 99. And maybe the slogan is a gimmick....and inspires little. That is not my issue with you. I basically agree with all that.
But you said "Pre Super Bowl titles don't count". That was my issue. Are you retracting that comment?
Never said they didn't count. Concerning franchise success, for me, not making a SuperBowl is a bigger deal then dominating 60 years ago. Four teams have never made a Superbowl Cleveland, Detroit, Houston and Jacksonville. Two expansion teams and 2 legacy teams. So if we are looking at where the Browns stack up in the NFL as an organization they are closest to the Lions. Lions had 4 Championships in the 50s and 2 playoff births since 99. Not happy about the lack of success but it's true. I hope the current regime turns it around.
-
I agree and that's why I've bee a Browns fan through the drive, the fumble and the tire fire that started in 99
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
Perhaps the issue is that in his entire lifetime the dude has not seen confetti fall on the orange and brown or watched a championship parade down Euclid Ave. and you think he should shut up and be happy with some NFL Championships won over 50yrs ago... championships that he could only read about in history books.
If clinging to those NFL Championships help you and others cope with all the losing in the modern day NFL then more power to you, but I don't think you should expect other loyal Browns fans to feel the same or accuse them of not being true Browns fans.
-
The Browns need a Super Bowl win badly.
It would help elevate their NFL Championships to the level where you could boast about them without looking silly.

Stuart said:
The Browns need a Super Bowl win badly.
It would help elevate their NFL Championships to the level where you could boast about them without looking silly.
Considering both the Seahags, and my lowly Buccaneers both possess a Lombardi trophies, I'd say that's an accurate statement...
I grew up watching the Browns thru the Groza, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield, Frank Ryan etc etc eras..
Play like a Brown makes perfect sense to me..
-
....I see a team on the way up too.....though think the fan base aint what it was back in the day.....
...this is how I see it.....the old Browns had one of the best fans bases in the league....a fan base that loved and supported them through hard times and one that EARNED the right to be called some of the best fans in the league....
NOW, however.....we have added a new generation of jaded fans who cant see the light at the end of the tunnel and...basically....are whiny negative crybabies who wouldn't recognize a good team if it hit them in the face.....WHEN the Browns finally have THAT great season we've all been waiting for, they wont even recognize it till its over......they'll whine and cry through the whole thing, then at the end, say "what happened"???....didnt see that coming....huh?
After more than a decade of losing(thru the 70's) I still remember that utterly amazing 1980 season....the Kardiak Kids....and the thing I remember most is how the city went crazy....and totally enjoyed the whole season.....and how the fans actually had hope and could see the possibilities "as they were happening"...(not after the fact).....By the time they were 7-3, the whole town was on board....people were all wearing Browns colors and flying Browns flags....and we all enjoyed it together....it was insane....
But now....if that were to happen again.....I guarantee the new generation would whine through the whole season...bitching about the few bad players, instead of the good ones.....dwelling on the few losses, instead of the wins......talking about a fumble, instead of enjoying a TD......and waiting for the other shoe to drop, instead of looking forward to the next win.....bitching about the one bad draft pick, instead of appreciating the 4 good ones.....etc etc etc....
So.....good luck to all you neg heads.....because when this team finally wins(and it will)....you wont even see it coming.....and will miss most of the fun.....
I had no problem cheering for the most recent Celtics, Bruins and Yankee Championships after they went through periods of down times, don't think I'll have an issue if the Browns ever start winning.
I skew towards the negative when it comes to this team simply because as a 40 year old fan I've witnessed some good play, some heartache but since 1999 this franchise has been horrible. Mik is getting all worked up over a 7-9 season. Gip thinks because we won a pre-SuperBowl championship 50 years ago we should be proud of that accomplishment. Sorry but as a fan, I now that irks some in here, I expect more and I won't settle for the product that we've been given.
If the team improves on the field I'll cheer for them as I did last year but if they go 7-9 again and "play like a Brown". I'll still be Mik's "Whiney Ass Bitch"
Gip thinks because we won a pre-SuperBowl championship 50 years ago we should be proud of that accomplishment.
Dude .. it happened.
Paul Brown really existed.
Otto Graham walked this earth.
And Jim Brown is not only still alive, but he can probably kick your fat-ass bacon-eating self.
It doesn't matter when you were born .... the accomplishments of the Cleveland browns are real and can never be taken away or diminished.
We are all aware of where we stand compared to teams of the last 10, 20, 25 years ... but you should still be proud of our history.
Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle. You're just a fuckstick. So you will enjoy it, but not "get" it ... because it is all about you and what you are "owed".
Zombo
-
Gip thinks because we won a pre-SuperBowl championship 50 years ago we should be proud of that accomplishment.
Dude .. it happened.
Paul Brown really existed.
Otto Graham walked this earth.
And Jim Brown is not only still alive, but he can probably kick your fat-ass bacon-eating self.
It doesn't matter when you were born .... the accomplishments of the Cleveland browns are real and can never be taken away or diminished.
We are all aware of where we stand compared to teams of the last 10, 20, 25 years ... but you should still be proud of our history.
Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle. You're just a fuckstick. So you will enjoy it, but not "get" it ... because it is all about you and what you are "owed".
Zombo
Zombo said:
Dude .. it happened.
Paul Brown really existed.
Otto Graham walked this earth.
And Jim Brown is not only still alive, but he can probably kick your fat-ass bacon-eating self.
It doesn't matter when you were born .... the accomplishments of the Cleveland browns are real and can never be taken away or diminished.
We are all aware of where we stand compared to teams of the last 10, 20, 25 years ... but you should still be proud of our history.
Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle. You're just a fuckstick. So you will enjoy it, but not "get" it ... because it is all about you and what you are "owed".
Zombo
Classic stuff!
Here we are on an awesome message board where someone needs to be convinced the Browns and their history are worth his time. It's almost as if there was zero understanding that the team that got moved was only 1 year removed from an 11-5 season plus 1 playoff win. That took 4 years to buildup even with a staff like Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Kirk Ferentz, Ozzie Newsome, etc.
When we finally got a team back here with a rookie ownership - the biggest immediate challenge became finding somebody with the right resume plus a big enough nutsack to be our next Head Coach. The next biggest challenge was finding the right front office personnel that could not only identify the right QB to invest in but also select the right teammates and weapons to surround him with. The only outrageous thing we didn't see was a QB with Tourette's syndrome getting flagged for F-bombs during the cadence.
While we're still having trouble finding a football messiah at the QB position, we finally have the right HC and Front Office in place. Their play like a Brown philosophy morphed a 4-12 football team into a 7-9 team (despite one of the biggest injury volumes we've seen) in just 1 year. The competitive bar was raised to an extent that if anyone was going to beat this team, it was going to take all 60 minutes to do so. The few fans that need "poor me" attention will tell us it doesn't matter that we had 2nd half leads on teams like Baltimore, Indy, Carolina, and Buffalo while teams like Baltimore and Pittsburgh had to break tie games with a FG as time expired. Not that we should have to explain how much a team coming off 4-12 football in 2013 could afford the volume of injury/disability; but we had a 6-3 record before it got FUBAR. Within that span, an undrafted rookie RB (Crow) was sporting an average of 5.2 yards per carry.
The 2nd off-season of "Play Like a Brown" has addressed the situation quite admirably. In the process, they also made this a much easier team to QB moving forward. Like Pettine says - placing your QB in short yardage situations on 3rd downs makes every conversion far more doable. Furthermore, when our defense plays the way we expect it to - it makes our QB's margin of error even friendlier. This year we're equipped to win some of those close games even if we gotta do it by accident. Just remember the next time you read national media types forecasting doom and gloom here - how many of those same squids wanted in on our 6-3 story in 2014. I got their football Shakespeare right here!
-
Gip thinks because we won a pre-SuperBowl championship 50 years ago we should be proud of that accomplishment.
Dude .. it happened.
Paul Brown really existed.
Otto Graham walked this earth.
And Jim Brown is not only still alive, but he can probably kick your fat-ass bacon-eating self.
It doesn't matter when you were born .... the accomplishments of the Cleveland browns are real and can never be taken away or diminished.
We are all aware of where we stand compared to teams of the last 10, 20, 25 years ... but you should still be proud of our history.
Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle. You're just a fuckstick. So you will enjoy it, but not "get" it ... because it is all about you and what you are "owed".
Zombo
Zombo said:
Gipper's loyalty has never wavered and he deserves to see another championship to make it all come full circle.
Zombo
Key word above is the word "loyalty". We older folks were raised in a time when loyalty was the norm. In most cases, players retired from the Team for which they began. You just never wavered in your support of your Team & it's players. We didn't question them. Sadly, many younger fans today haven't seen that type of devotion & loyalty. Everything today seems "disposable" with owners, management, coaches & players seldom on the same page, and while there ARE younger loyal fans, their numbers are dwindling. It's no longer a "Team first" culture, but more "Me first" & "What have you done for me lately?".
I see "Play like a Brown" as recreating a culture of loyaly, TEAM, & players who really WANT to be Cleveland Browns.
Mike
-
Well, none of us like the shit storm that has been happening post 99. And maybe the slogan is a gimmick....and inspires little. That is not my issue with you. I basically agree with all that.
But you said "Pre Super Bowl titles don't count". That was my issue. Are you retracting that comment?
Never said they didn't count. Concerning franchise success, for me, not making a SuperBowl is a bigger deal then dominating 60 years ago. Four teams have never made a Superbowl Cleveland, Detroit, Houston and Jacksonville. Two expansion teams and 2 legacy teams. So if we are looking at where the Browns stack up in the NFL as an organization they are closest to the Lions. Lions had 4 Championships in the 50s and 2 playoff births since 99. Not happy about the lack of success but it's true. I hope the current regime turns it around.
Never said they didn't count. Concerning franchise success, for me, not making a SuperBowl is a bigger deal then dominating 60 years ago. Four teams have never made a Superbowl Cleveland, Detroit, Houston and Jacksonville. Two expansion teams and 2 legacy teams. So if we are looking at where the Browns stack up in the NFL as an organization they are closest to the Lions. Lions had 4 Championships in the 50s and 2 playoff births since 99. Not happy about the lack of success but it's true. I hope the current regime turns it around.
I think that is exactly what you said "they don't count".
No one knows more than I....and a few others around here about the Browns history the last 50 years since their last title in 1964. I have lived through every minute of it. You have been around for what? less than half that time. So don't lecture to us about that shit. (and the Lions won 3...not 4 titles in the 50s.
-
Then WTF is up with you? You can hack the bad history of the Browns but not the good?
Perhaps the issue is that in his entire lifetime the dude has not seen confetti fall on the orange and brown or watched a championship parade down Euclid Ave. and you think he should shut up and be happy with some NFL Championships won over 50yrs ago... championships that he could only read about in history books.
If clinging to those NFL Championships help you and others cope with all the losing in the modern day NFL then more power to you, but I don't think you should expect other loyal Browns fans to feel the same or accuse them of not being true Browns fans.
Stuart said:
Perhaps the issue is that in his entire lifetime the dude has not seen confetti fall on the orange and brown or watched a championship parade down Euclid Ave. and you think he should shut up and be happy with some NFL Championships won over 50yrs ago... championships that he could only read about in history books.
Obviously you have that wrong. I never said that he should be happy...as I said earlier he probably hasn't been around half the time I have to witness what has happened. And it isn't an issue of being "happy" with titles won 50+ years ago. I am not happy we haven't won in 50 years It was an issue of him saying that they don't count.
A lot of shit happened before I was born...that doesn't mean it didn't count. (you know....like 40 years of losing Steeler football...that counted too)
If clinging to those NFL Championships help you and others cope with all the losing in the modern day NFL then more power to you, but I don't think you should expect other loyal Browns fans to feel the same or accuse them of not being true Browns fans.
Again, it is not clinging....it is simply acknowledging. Steeler fans still "cling" to the titles won way back in the 1970s...even though they won a couple since.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login