Skip to content

Browns Sign Shelton

The Browns Board
13 10 685
  • "Budda The Great Pumpkin" on Paper!! Know let's get to the Hard One's Like Gipson and Mack on More Paper...

  • I'm worried about Gipson

  • I don't understand why these aren't just set in stone based on where you're picked. Don't the teams have all the leverage? What other option does the player have?

  • I don't understand why these aren't just set in stone based on where you're picked. Don't the teams have all the leverage? What other option does the player have?

    @wargograw said:

    I don't understand why these aren't just set in stone based on where you're picked. Don't the teams have all the leverage? What other option does the player have?

    To not play, basically.

  • Exactly. And yet I'm sure there's a "market rate" for these contracts. Well, why? If other teams don't have the option to take my guy, why does my pay have to be in line with theirs?

  • Exactly. And yet I'm sure there's a "market rate" for these contracts. Well, why? If other teams don't have the option to take my guy, why does my pay have to be in line with theirs?

    @wargograw said:

    Exactly. And yet I'm sure there's a "market rate" for these contracts. Well, why? If other teams don't have the option to take my guy, why does my pay have to be in line with theirs?

    The Browns would only hold his rights for one year, then he would be eligible to re-declare for the NFL draft or enter as a UDFA...if he chooses to go to another professional league for a year.

    At least, that's how I've always thought it was.

  • I'm worried about Gipson

    @opal312 said:

    I'm worried about Gipson

    I'm alright. You don't have to worry about me.

  • Funny, funny movie !

  • i wonder if there's an +/- written into his contract to stay away from dunkin donuts like there is manziel to stay away from duck floats?

  • @wargograw said:

    Exactly. And yet I'm sure there's a "market rate" for these contracts. Well, why? If other teams don't have the option to take my guy, why does my pay have to be in line with theirs?

    The Browns would only hold his rights for one year, then he would be eligible to re-declare for the NFL draft or enter as a UDFA...if he chooses to go to another professional league for a year.

    At least, that's how I've always thought it was.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The Browns would only hold his rights for one year, then he would be eligible to re-declare for the NFL draft or enter as a UDFA...if he chooses to go to another professional league for a year.

    At least, that's how I've always thought it was.

    Not sure it was always that way (if you go back far enough, I think teams held rights forever), but what you said is correct now.

    Back to the original question...

    The salary and bonus is set by the $$$ pool established under the CBA, but there are points of negotiation around how much of the bonus is guaranteed money and the timing of its payout.