FIFA officials arrested in 'dawn raid' over FBI corruption investigation
-
The swiss attorney general has now opened proceedings relating to the award of the 2018 and 2022 world cups, to Russia and Qatar respectively. If there are kickbacks to be found, they'll be in those two processes, I'm guessing. I mean come on, Qatar? With 2m people, a dry state (so pissing off the WC's bigger sponsors like Budweiser), slave labour being used, awful human rights record, now being switched to winter instead of summer, despite ruling that out in the bidding process - this is the place we want to shine a light on and say is a bastion of international soccer?
The less said about Russia, the better.
The swiss attorney general has now opened proceedings relating to the award of the 2018 and 2022 world cups, to Russia and Qatar respectively. If there are kickbacks to be found, they'll be in those two processes, I'm guessing. I mean come on, Qatar? With 2m people, a dry state (so pissing off the WC's bigger sponsors like Budweiser), slave labour being used, awful human rights record, now being switched to winter instead of summer, despite ruling that out in the bidding process - this is the place we want to shine a light on and say is a bastion of international soccer?
The less said about Russia, the better.
I suspect bribery and money committed was a main issue on why those places got the WC....but I also think FIFA wanted to be "inclusive"....to other parts of the world.
In the past the WCs have been held in Europe 11 times, South America 5 times, N. America 3 times (twice Mexico, 1 time US), Asia (S. Korea) once, (South) Africa once.
Never in the middle east.....never in Russia (or any former Soviet state).
I can understand that. But they should be able to do the process without bribery.
-
They also turned down bids from Australia and other places that haven't had it before. I think a wc down under would be amazing. Now you have Qatar where it's no booze, no gays, no kissing, definitely no gays kissing, slave Labour, intense heat and all the other shut things going on in that place.
The wc was on a rotation - Europe, elsewhere, repeat. Now I think it is changing to Europe, elsewhere, elsewhere, repeat, so 2026 should be somewhere outside Europe again.
-
They also turned down bids from Australia and other places that haven't had it before. I think a wc down under would be amazing. Now you have Qatar where it's no booze, no gays, no kissing, definitely no gays kissing, slave Labour, intense heat and all the other shut things going on in that place.
The wc was on a rotation - Europe, elsewhere, repeat. Now I think it is changing to Europe, elsewhere, elsewhere, repeat, so 2026 should be somewhere outside Europe again.
They also turned down bids from Australia and other places that haven't had it before. I think a wc down under would be amazing. Now you have Qatar where it's no booze, no gays, no kissing, definitely no gays kissing, slave Labour, intense heat and all the other shut things going on in that place.
The wc was on a rotation - Europe, elsewhere, repeat. Now I think it is changing to Europe, elsewhere, elsewhere, repeat, so 2026 should be somewhere outside Europe again.
Do you/they consider Russia "Europe"?
-
Corruption in a sports organization, I'm shocked

Let's not make Qatar out to be Iran. Qatar has the highest GDP per capita and 14% of their population are millionaires.
-
Corruption in a sports organization, I'm shocked

Let's not make Qatar out to be Iran. Qatar has the highest GDP per capita and 14% of their population are millionaires.
Corruption in a sports organization, I'm shocked

Let's not make Qatar out to be Iran. Qatar has the highest GDP per capita and 14% of their population are millionaires.
Of course they are the richest country.
They hate EVERY person, unless they are male and rich
-
They also turned down bids from Australia and other places that haven't had it before. I think a wc down under would be amazing. Now you have Qatar where it's no booze, no gays, no kissing, definitely no gays kissing, slave Labour, intense heat and all the other shut things going on in that place.
The wc was on a rotation - Europe, elsewhere, repeat. Now I think it is changing to Europe, elsewhere, elsewhere, repeat, so 2026 should be somewhere outside Europe again.
Do you/they consider Russia "Europe"?
Do you/they consider Russia "Europe"?
In football terms,yes.
-
Just goes to prove that soccer is a corrupt gay sport.
-
Just goes to prove that soccer is a corrupt gay sport.
Just goes to prove that soccer is a corrupt gay sport.
Roger Goodell would love it.
-
Corruption in a sports organization, I'm shocked

Let's not make Qatar out to be Iran. Qatar has the highest GDP per capita and 14% of their population are millionaires.
Of course they are the richest country.
They hate EVERY person, unless they are male and rich
Of course they are the richest country.
They hate EVERY person, unless they are male and rich
Sounds like our Founding Fathers

-
Something I neglected to add - the elections for FIFA presidency are happening today, now. There were calls for it to be postponed until this was all resolved, but no. There were calls for Blatter (incumbent) to resign, as any disgraced leader would, be it politics or business or whatever, but no.
-
Something I neglected to add - the elections for FIFA presidency are happening today, now. There were calls for it to be postponed until this was all resolved, but no. There were calls for Blatter (incumbent) to resign, as any disgraced leader would, be it politics or business or whatever, but no.
Something I neglected to add - the elections for FIFA presidency are happening today, now. There were calls for it to be postponed until this was all resolved, but no. There were calls for Blatter (incumbent) to resign, as any disgraced leader would, be it politics or business or whatever, but no.
I hear he got re-elected. Fox watching the henhouse.
-
Yep. Not shocked.
-
I wonder what the guy that withdrew got.
-
I wonder what the guy that withdrew got.
The antidote, probably.
-
I wonder what the guy that withdrew got.
I believe he needed 2/3s in the first round but fell considerably short. To save face he withdrew, not uncommon I guess.
-
I wonder what the guy that withdrew got.
I believe he needed 2/3s in the first round but fell considerably short. To save face he withdrew, not uncommon I guess.
I believe he needed 2/3s in the first round but fell considerably short. To save face he withdrew, not uncommon I guess.
yeah pretty much. The election goes something like:
First round - if anyone gets a 2/3 majority they win, stop. Otherwise, eliminate candidates who got under x% of the vote (don't remember how much) and proceed to round 2.
Second round - if any of the remaining candidates get more than 50%, they win, stop. Otherwise, rinse and repeat by removing the lowest scoring candidate until someone gets a majority.
-
And this just in, South Africa made a $10m definitely-not-a-bribe-but-just-to-say-thanks-ahead-of-time payment to FIFA, to host the world cup in 2010, which in a completely unrelated turn of events was redistributed to the association of the head of the central america association, who then in an unforeseeable turn of events managed to convince all the members in his jurisdiction to vote for south africa.
Seems legit.
-
I know it probably doesn't get so much traction over there, but the world of soccer is currently thanking the FBI very, very much for having the balls to do what everyone else should have done a long time ago.
-
How Blatter has the front to not only not resign, but to again stand up and want to be re-elected is beyond me.
FIFA are a disgrace and the WC in Qatar the poster boy for it.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login