Skip to content

Who starts...last.....

The Browns Board
24 8 734
  • So we have the bubble thread for discussing who may or may NOT make the final roster.....I think there are also some very interesting position battles for starter.....and in many cases, I kind of see one guy earning the job to start, then possibly losing it by seasons end....and it's not because I think they are gonna be bad, but rather that there are good "young" players who will earn the position as they gain more experience and such.....

    If the talent wasnt so deep, a lot of em probably start from day one....but since we have it, why not bring them along slower and with less pressure.....here are my battles that could start one way and finish another.....

    Tramon Williams vs Justin Gilbert.....thinking Gilbert will take it eventually, but that Tramon may start out as the #1 man and slowly have his minutes weaned, as Gilbert shows what he can do....

    Paul Kruger vs Nate Orchard....or maybe this should be Mingo? I see Orchard as a guy that wont start, but hopefully, shows he's an every down player and can play the run. If thats the case, Kruger may be relegated to pass rush specialist and loose that "every down" status.....(unless he vastly improves his run defense and ability to set the edge)(which, I hear, Orchard can do)

    Xavier Cooper vs The Bryants....another young guy that doesnt need to be rushed in, but one who I think may light some fires and turn some heads once he gets in there, I think there will come a time where he just HAS to be on the field....

    Cam Erving vs Greco/Schwartz....We dont know where he's gonna play yet and, because our line was so exceptional last year, I can see them coming out of the gate with the same guys and trying to re-establish last years early performance level. Erving can get his chops in a reserve role. Though I see him as one who has a better chance to start than the others listed above.

    The only rookies I feel almost certain we will start(day 1) are Shelton and Duke Johnson......

    The other 10 have some work to do......

    @mudfly said:

    So we have the bubble thread for discussing who may or may NOT make the final roster.....I think there are also some very interesting position battles for starter.....and in many cases, I kind of see one guy earning the job to start, then possibly losing it by seasons end....and it's not because I think they are gonna be bad, but rather that there are good "young" players who will earn the position as they gain more experience and such.....

    If the talent wasnt so deep, a lot of em probably start from day one....but since we have it, why not bring them along slower and with less pressure.....here are my battles that could start one way and finish another.....

    Tramon Williams vs Justin Gilbert.....thinking Gilbert will take it eventually, but that Tramon may start out as the #1 man and slowly have his minutes weaned, as Gilbert shows what he can do....

    Paul Kruger vs Nate Orchard....or maybe this should be Mingo? I see Orchard as a guy that wont start, but hopefully, shows he's an every down player and can play the run. If thats the case, Kruger may be relegated to pass rush specialist and loose that "every down" status.....(unless he vastly improves his run defense and ability to set the edge)(which, I hear, Orchard can do)

    Xavier Cooper vs The Bryants....another young guy that doesnt need to be rushed in, but one who I think may light some fires and turn some heads once he gets in there, I think there will come a time where he just HAS to be on the field....

    Cam Erving vs Greco/Schwartz....We dont know where he's gonna play yet and, because our line was so exceptional last year, I can see them coming out of the gate with the same guys and trying to re-establish last years early performance level. Erving can get his chops in a reserve role. Though I see him as one who has a better chance to start than the others listed above.

    The only rookies I feel almost certain we will start(day 1) are Shelton and Duke Johnson......

    The other 10 have some work to do......

    I will go Belichickean here:

    " We will start whoever gives us the best chance to win"

    (of course, that came from a guy who chose to start Todd Philcox over Bernie Kosar...so the validity of that bromide is in question.)

  • Also, Sheard? Unlikely he starts for us!

    @gftchris said:

    Also, Sheard? Unlikely he starts for us!

    Considering he now plays for the Patriots, yes.

  • @mudfly said:

    And Robertson at second banana?.....not sure what you mean.....Kirksey to start?

    Sorry... Top banana = Dansby; 2nd = Robertson

    I don't see Kirksey breaking through yet, but less confident here than any other prediction.

    @tour2ma said:

    Sorry... Top banana = Dansby; 2nd = Robertson

    I don't see Kirksey breaking through yet, but less confident here than any other prediction.

    Pullard will be the second coming of Junior Seau.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Sorry... Top banana = Dansby; 2nd = Robertson

    I don't see Kirksey breaking through yet, but less confident here than any other prediction.

    Pullard will be the second coming of Junior Seau.

    @the-gipper said:

    Pullard will be the second coming of Junior Seau.

    You and your man crush... πŸ˜‰

  • @tour2ma said:

    Sorry... Top banana = Dansby; 2nd = Robertson

    I don't see Kirksey breaking through yet, but less confident here than any other prediction.

    Pullard will be the second coming of Junior Seau.

    @the-gipper said:

    Pullard will be the second coming of Junior Seau.

    HA!.....that would be fantastic....but, honestly just hoping he makes the team.....

  • Check it out here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Cleveland_Browns_season#Final_roster

    Apart from K and KR/PR (cribbs), find a position we're worse off...

    @gftchris said:

    Check it out here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Cleveland_Browns_season#Final_roster

    Apart from K and KR/PR (cribbs), find a position we're worse off...

    Amazing... out of 72 players to finish the 2011 season, only 6 are still on the roster 4 years later...

    And only 15 out of 74 from the 2012 final roster... only 3 years ago ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Cleveland_Browns_season

  • What a great problem to have. So many truly good choices to make, especially on D. 😁

  • We have acquired so much talent this off season & last that it's hard to even envision who will end up where. We also have REAL Coaches, & it wouldn't surprise me to see Shelton & Taylor out there together at times. The flexibility our talent allows may surprise us all. No prediction from me, just a big "We'll see!".

    As far as Pullard goes, I think he may be a classic over achiever. I also like Mayle a lot as another "sleeper". Time will tell.

    Bottom line is that it's easy to be excited about our Browns on both sides of the ball, but the D has me really excited at a number of positions.

    Mike

  • @the-gipper said:

    Pullard will be the second coming of Junior Seau.

    You and your man crush... πŸ˜‰

    @gftchris said:

    You and your man crush... πŸ˜‰

    I just think he is underrated.

    Of course, our luck, he will probably turn out to be the next Kaluka Maiava. (but unlike Maiava, we would not have used a 2d round pick on him)

  • @gftchris said:

    Check it out here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Cleveland_Browns_season#Final_roster

    Apart from K and KR/PR (cribbs), find a position we're worse off...

    Amazing... out of 72 players to finish the 2011 season, only 6 are still on the roster 4 years later...

    And only 15 out of 74 from the 2012 final roster... only 3 years ago ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Cleveland_Browns_season

    @thenew23 said:

    Amazing... out of 72 players to finish the 2011 season, only 6 are still on the roster 4 years later...

    And only 15 out of 74 from the 2012 final roster... only 3 years ago ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Cleveland_Browns_season

    I would venture to say that this may be close to normal for all NFL teams.