Skip to content

Jim Harbaugh is an awkward weirdo (Colin Cowherd hangs up on him)

College Football Forum
32 6 1.9k
  • To be fair we won a BCS bowl in that time too.

    But yeah, we've played below expectations, no doubt. I just don't consider that "in shambles". Maybe its just me. I think we're in pretty good shape right now.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @mld-woody said:

    To be fair we won a BCS bowl in that time too.

    But yeah, we've played below expectations, no doubt. I just don't consider that "in shambles". Maybe its just me. I think we're in pretty good shape right now.

    Rich Rod, 3-9, 5-7 & 7-6

    Hokey Pokey 11-2, 8-6, 7-6 & 5-7

    They've lost to some god awful teams. And it won't be agreed upon here but the Big 10 isn't even close to the best conference in college football.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Right, they definitely have underperformed. I just don't see that as "in shambles".

    Also, I don't think anyone would make the claim that the B1G is the best conference in the country. They're on the way up, but not the best.

  • Right, they definitely have underperformed. I just don't see that as "in shambles".

    Also, I don't think anyone would make the claim that the B1G is the best conference in the country. They're on the way up, but not the best.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @mld-woody said:

    Right, they definitely have underperformed. I just don't see that as "in shambles".

    Also, I don't think anyone would make the claim that the B1G is the best conference in the country. They're on the way up, but not the best.

    They're your team so I get that but as an outsider, OU fan, since Carr they've been awful by Wolverine standards.

  • To be fair we won a BCS bowl in that time too.

    But yeah, we've played below expectations, no doubt. I just don't consider that "in shambles". Maybe its just me. I think we're in pretty good shape right now.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @mld-woody said:

    To be fair we won a BCS bowl in that time too.

    But yeah, we've played below expectations, no doubt. I just don't consider that "in shambles". Maybe its just me. I think we're in pretty good shape right now.

    Semantics. Many (even fans of that team) may consider a team that was a perenniell contender for league titles....even national titles, that is now lucky to go .500 to be in shambles.

    You can call it what you want. What do you want to call it?

  • Right, they definitely have underperformed. I just don't see that as "in shambles".

    Also, I don't think anyone would make the claim that the B1G is the best conference in the country. They're on the way up, but not the best.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @mld-woody said:

    Right, they definitely have underperformed. I just don't see that as "in shambles".

    Also, I don't think anyone would make the claim that the B1G is the best conference in the country. They're on the way up, but not the best.

    They just have the best team.

    And FYI, the best conference in the country is probaly the Pac 12.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Right, they definitely have underperformed. I just don't see that as "in shambles".

    Also, I don't think anyone would make the claim that the B1G is the best conference in the country. They're on the way up, but not the best.

    They just have the best team.

    And FYI, the best conference in the country is probaly the Pac 12.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @the-gipper said:

    They just have the best team.

    And FYI, the best conference in the country is probaly the Pac 12.

    Hahahahahaha. Ahhhh hahahahahah. Nice one, Gip.

  • @the-gipper said:

    They just have the best team.

    And FYI, the best conference in the country is probaly the Pac 12.

    Hahahahahaha. Ahhhh hahahahahah. Nice one, Gip.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @wargograw said:

    Hahahahahaha. Ahhhh hahahahahah. Nice one, Gip.

    Yes, it is nice....because it is true......better non conf record.....better bowl record. I didn't check but I wager they had a better record head to head with just about every other conference.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Aggies got suck of being second rate in an average conference. So now they latch on to the "ESS EEE SEE" thing

  • @wargograw said:

    Hahahahahaha. Ahhhh hahahahahah. Nice one, Gip.

    Yes, it is nice....because it is true......better non conf record.....better bowl record. I didn't check but I wager they had a better record head to head with just about every other conference.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by wargograw
    #17

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, it is nice....because it is true......better non conf record.....better bowl record. I didn't check but I wager they had a better record head to head with just about every other conference.

    And what about the year before? The year before that? Before that? And about 5 of the prior years before that? I already posted that info and you declined to respond.

    They can have best conference for this season. But it'll be a one-year wonder.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, it is nice....because it is true......better non conf record.....better bowl record. I didn't check but I wager they had a better record head to head with just about every other conference.

    And what about the year before? The year before that? Before that? And about 5 of the prior years before that? I already posted that info and you declined to respond.

    They can have best conference for this season. But it'll be a one-year wonder.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @wargograw said:

    And what about the year before? The year before that? Before that? And about 5 of the prior years before that? I already posted that info and you declined to respond.

    They can have best conference for this season. But it'll be a one-year wonder.

    I doubt it.....they may have been better all along.....you can check the records if you like. They just didn't self annoint themselves as the best the way the sec did.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #19

    By your own argument, better non conference record and bowl record=best conference. Ok. I'll bite. In the BCS era, Pac 12 is 141-112 against the Power 5 and the Big East (55.7%). The SEC is 185-149 (55.4%) (cue your "the SEC plays a bunch of cupcakes!" argument even though it has played 80 more games against Power 5 schools than the PAC). The SEC blows the PAC out of the water if you eliminate those Big East games and only go with true Power 5 matchups. Head to head the SEC is 14-13 against the PAC. Sure, it's close. So go to the next relevant stat. The vaunted bowl record.

    2014: SEC 7-5 (58.3), PAC 6-3 (66.6)

    2013: SEC 7-3 (70), PAC 6-3 (66.6)

    2012: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 4-4 (50)

    2011: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 2-5 (28.6)

    2010: SEC 5-5 (50), PAC 2-2 (50)

    2009: SEC 6-4 (60), PAC 2-5 (28.6)

    2008: SEC 6-2 (75), PAC 5-0 (100)

    2007: SEC 7-2 (77.8), PAC 4-2 (66.6)

    2006: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 3-3 (50)

    2005: SEC 3-3 (50), PAC 3-2 (60)

    2004: SEC 3-3 (50), PAC 3-2 (60)

    2003: SEC 5-2 (71.4), PAC 4-2 (66.6)

    Wikipedia pages on the subject only go this far back. The SEC had equal or more wins EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. It had an equal or higher winning percentage all but 4 times (out of 12). The SEC is 8-7 in bowls head to head. That's clearly a win for the SEC. To further belabor the point, we can look at the all-time bowl records. The SEC is 227-170-9, a 57% win percentage. The PAC is 131-113-5 , 53.6%. We can go to the next stat. This time it will be my own criterion, since yours leave out a very relevant figure:

    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

    Ever: SEC 29, PAC 15

    BCS Era: SEC 9, PAC 1 (technically this was vacated)

    Since 2006: SEC 7, PAC 0

  • By your own argument, better non conference record and bowl record=best conference. Ok. I'll bite. In the BCS era, Pac 12 is 141-112 against the Power 5 and the Big East (55.7%). The SEC is 185-149 (55.4%) (cue your "the SEC plays a bunch of cupcakes!" argument even though it has played 80 more games against Power 5 schools than the PAC). The SEC blows the PAC out of the water if you eliminate those Big East games and only go with true Power 5 matchups. Head to head the SEC is 14-13 against the PAC. Sure, it's close. So go to the next relevant stat. The vaunted bowl record.

    2014: SEC 7-5 (58.3), PAC 6-3 (66.6)

    2013: SEC 7-3 (70), PAC 6-3 (66.6)

    2012: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 4-4 (50)

    2011: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 2-5 (28.6)

    2010: SEC 5-5 (50), PAC 2-2 (50)

    2009: SEC 6-4 (60), PAC 2-5 (28.6)

    2008: SEC 6-2 (75), PAC 5-0 (100)

    2007: SEC 7-2 (77.8), PAC 4-2 (66.6)

    2006: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 3-3 (50)

    2005: SEC 3-3 (50), PAC 3-2 (60)

    2004: SEC 3-3 (50), PAC 3-2 (60)

    2003: SEC 5-2 (71.4), PAC 4-2 (66.6)

    Wikipedia pages on the subject only go this far back. The SEC had equal or more wins EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. It had an equal or higher winning percentage all but 4 times (out of 12). The SEC is 8-7 in bowls head to head. That's clearly a win for the SEC. To further belabor the point, we can look at the all-time bowl records. The SEC is 227-170-9, a 57% win percentage. The PAC is 131-113-5 , 53.6%. We can go to the next stat. This time it will be my own criterion, since yours leave out a very relevant figure:

    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

    Ever: SEC 29, PAC 15

    BCS Era: SEC 9, PAC 1 (technically this was vacated)

    Since 2006: SEC 7, PAC 0

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @wargograw said:

    By your own argument, better non conference record and bowl record=best conference. Ok. I'll bite. In the BCS era, Pac 12 is 141-112 against the Power 5 and the Big East (55.7%). The SEC is 185-149 (55.4%) (cue your "the SEC plays a bunch of cupcakes!" argument even though it has played 80 more games against Power 5 schools than the PAC).

    Non-Conference games? Of course you discount the fact that there were at much of this time at least 2-4 more teams in the SEC than the P-10. I would think there would be more games.

    The SEC blows the PAC out of the water if you eliminate those Big East games and only go with true Power 5 matchups.

    Really? You want to eliminate games vs. Miami/BC/Pitt and others (I am sure eliminating those matchups would make the SEC look better)

    Head to head the SEC is 14-13 against the PAC. Sure, it's close.

    Since when?

    So go to the next relevant stat. The vaunted bowl record.

    2014: SEC 7-5 (58.3), PAC 6-3 (66.6)

    2013: SEC 7-3 (70), PAC 6-3 (66.6)

    2012: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 4-4 (50)

    2011: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 2-5 (28.6)

    2010: SEC 5-5 (50), PAC 2-2 (50)

    2009: SEC 6-4 (60), PAC 2-5 (28.6)

    2008: SEC 6-2 (75), PAC 5-0 (100)

    2007: SEC 7-2 (77.8), PAC 4-2 (66.6)

    2006: SEC 6-3 (66.6), PAC 3-3 (50)

    2005: SEC 3-3 (50), PAC 3-2 (60)

    2004: SEC 3-3 (50), PAC 3-2 (60)

    2003: SEC 5-2 (71.4), PAC 4-2 (66.6)

    I would really like to see the stats on neutral sites. That is....any game not played in the home conferece area. In other words...no SEC games played in FLa/Ga/Lou/Ala etc. No P-12 games played in Cal, Ariz.

    Wikipedia pages on the subject only go this far back. The SEC had equal or more wins EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. It had an equal or higher winning percentage all but 4 times (out of 12). The SEC is 8-7 in bowls head to head. That's clearly a win for the SEC. To further belabor the point, we can look at the all-time bowl records. The SEC is 227-170-9, a 57% win percentage. The PAC is 131-113-5 , 53.6%. We can go to the next stat. This time it will be my own criterion, since yours leave out a very relevant figure:

    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

    Ever: SEC 29, PAC 15

    How can going back just 44 years be "ever"?

    BCS Era: SEC 9, PAC 1 (technically this was vacated)

    Since 2006: SEC 7, PAC 0

    Yes, I do discount titles a bit.....because that measures one team. No doubt the SEC has had the single best teams over the last decade....but not overall best.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Yeah you're right on that point. Slipped my mind.

    Well I really want to eliminate games against teams like UCONN. That was more my point. Since they are no longer power 5 anymore.

    BCS era. If you can find the numbers for earlier periods then be my guest.

    And I would like to see the records of the teams that were playing each other. USC beating Vanderbilt doesn't mean much of anything and neither does Alabama beating Colorado. But alas, all you said was "bowl records." I provided them. They didn't support you.

    Don't know what you mean with the 44 years comment. The article I got that from had all time national championships.

    The competition in the league is what made those national champions. It doesn't happen in a vacuum although Ohio State was the closest thing.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I'd hope the two conferences that have the most "home" bowl games do the best in them...

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #23

    You really do just argue for the sake of it. Gipper and I are going into stuff we haven't discussed yet and you just want to rehash stuff we spent 5 pages talking about already. What's the point? Get a life.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #24

    5 pages ago? You're fucking talking about bowl records right now, lol.

    It takes two to argue. No one is making you respond.

    I don't really care about your current SEC vs PAC argument. The SEC has been overrated, but also the best, for a while. Their dominance is falling off though. Everything comes in cycles. NCAA sanctions and investigations could have sped it up, but whatever. The only thing worse than SEC fans at its peak may be fans as they fall back to earth...

  • Yeah you're right on that point. Slipped my mind.

    Well I really want to eliminate games against teams like UCONN. That was more my point. Since they are no longer power 5 anymore.

    BCS era. If you can find the numbers for earlier periods then be my guest.

    And I would like to see the records of the teams that were playing each other. USC beating Vanderbilt doesn't mean much of anything and neither does Alabama beating Colorado. But alas, all you said was "bowl records." I provided them. They didn't support you.

    Don't know what you mean with the 44 years comment. The article I got that from had all time national championships.

    The competition in the league is what made those national champions. It doesn't happen in a vacuum although Ohio State was the closest thing.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @wargograw said:

    Yeah you're right on that point. Slipped my mind.

    Well I really want to eliminate games against teams like UCONN. That was more my point. Since they are no longer power 5 anymore.

    BCS era. If you can find the numbers for earlier periods then be my guest.

    And I would like to see the records of the teams that were playing each other. USC beating Vanderbilt doesn't mean much of anything and neither does Alabama beating Colorado. But alas, all you said was "bowl records." I provided them. They didn't support you.

    Don't know what you mean with the 44 years comment. The article I got that from had all time national championships.

    My bad. I misread what you said. I thought you were just counting titles going back 44 years. But you were counting the titles of just the SEC and P-12....which added up to 44. I misspoke.

    The competition in the league is what made those national champions. It doesn't happen in a vacuum although Ohio State was the closest thing.

    I think that competition is overrated. Yes, you have to win 1 or 2 tough games.....but really, traditionally beating up on VAndy/MSU/Ole Miss does not make a team all that tough.

  • 5 pages ago? You're fucking talking about bowl records right now, lol.

    It takes two to argue. No one is making you respond.

    I don't really care about your current SEC vs PAC argument. The SEC has been overrated, but also the best, for a while. Their dominance is falling off though. Everything comes in cycles. NCAA sanctions and investigations could have sped it up, but whatever. The only thing worse than SEC fans at its peak may be fans as they fall back to earth...

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @mld-woody said:

    5 pages ago? You're fucking talking about bowl records right now, lol.

    It takes two to argue. No one is making you respond.

    I don't really care about your current SEC vs PAC argument. The SEC has been overrated, but also the best, for a while. Their dominance is falling off though. Everything comes in cycles. NCAA sanctions and investigations could have sped it up, but whatever. The only thing worse than SEC fans at its peak may be fans as they fall back to earth...

    Chalk up another one: Can't argue without cursing. You and I spent like 5 pages going over stuff that you're trying to bring up again here. I never said "ago" as in it was in this thread. Pay attention.

    At least you've made a major concession here.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Gipper, you mentioned 3 teams out of 10/12/14. All 3 aren't even in the same division so it wouldnt have been all that common for anyone to play all 3.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Oh, yes, I said the F word. My argument is now invalid...

    I stated the two conferences with the most "home" bowl games should probably have the most wins. You then came at me. Maybe you need to learn how to not argue so much...