Skip to content

Philosophy + Personnel = Steady Improvement

The Browns Board
33 17 1.6k
  • I have loved this building process since day 1. And if they ever want to be proven right about the JM pick, then the trade-off of Hoyer for a more willing mentor with similar experience was the right move. Every building starts with a strong foundation if you want it to last a long time.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I have loved this building process since day 1. And if they ever want to be proven right about the JM pick, then the trade-off of Hoyer for a more willing mentor with similar experience was the right move. Every building starts with a strong foundation if you want it to last a long time.

    Agreed, except for the "similar experience" comparison between Hoyer & McCown. Hoyer had a small sampling of game experience, while McCown has quite a bit & has faced more adverse situations. That's a big plus for McCown & more knowledge he can share with our young QBs.

    Mike

  • I know you have to have the talent in the NFL and great motivation and attitude will never alone get it done on the field unless you have the talent to win. The Browns have that talent and a great motivational coach in Pettine and I see this team catching the vision and taking on the personality of their coach. Since 99 and before Pettine and Farmer I didn't see this team really having either any type of continuity, vision or identity but I think under Pettine they are going to be known as a hard nosed fundamentally sound football team with Playing Like a Brown not being an empty slogan but how this team will take the field. I believe Pettine and Farmer also are very good at acquiring talented players and I see a great future ahead for the Browns.

  • I know you have to have the talent in the NFL and great motivation and attitude will never alone get it done on the field unless you have the talent to win. The Browns have that talent and a great motivational coach in Pettine and I see this team catching the vision and taking on the personality of their coach. Since 99 and before Pettine and Farmer I didn't see this team really having either any type of continuity, vision or identity but I think under Pettine they are going to be known as a hard nosed fundamentally sound football team with Playing Like a Brown not being an empty slogan but how this team will take the field. I believe Pettine and Farmer also are very good at acquiring talented players and I see a great future ahead for the Browns.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I know you have to have the talent in the NFL and great motivation and attitude will never alone get it done on the field unless you have the talent to win. The Browns have that talent and a great motivational coach in Pettine and I see this team catching the vision and taking on the personality of their coach. Since 99 and before Pettine and Farmer I didn't see this team really having either any type of continuity, vision or identity but I think under Pettine they are going to be known as a hard nosed fundamentally sound football team with Playing Like a Brown not being an empty slogan but how this team will take the field. I believe Pettine and Farmer also are very good at acquiring talented players and I see a great future ahead for the Browns.

    Maybe it's time to really define Pettine's vision of "Play Like A Brown".

    I'd start with personal responsibility followed closely by effort, toughness, bye-in, homework and TEAM first. I see this team getting on board this train. We'll know it's arrived the day Mack re-ups.

  • I'll be damned...

    "Return of the Mack" is a song... 😉

  • Got nothing for Haden "can't waitsies" though 😁. Searching stay tuned.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    I know you have to have the talent in the NFL and great motivation and attitude will never alone get it done on the field unless you have the talent to win. The Browns have that talent and a great motivational coach in Pettine and I see this team catching the vision and taking on the personality of their coach. Since 99 and before Pettine and Farmer I didn't see this team really having either any type of continuity, vision or identity but I think under Pettine they are going to be known as a hard nosed fundamentally sound football team with Playing Like a Brown not being an empty slogan but how this team will take the field. I believe Pettine and Farmer also are very good at acquiring talented players and I see a great future ahead for the Browns.

    Maybe it's time to really define Pettine's vision of "Play Like A Brown".

    I'd start with personal responsibility followed closely by effort, toughness, bye-in, homework and TEAM first. I see this team getting on board this train. We'll know it's arrived the day Mack re-ups.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Maybe it's time to really define Pettine's vision of "Play Like A Brown".

    I'd start with personal responsibility followed closely by effort, toughness, bye-in, homework and TEAM first. I see this team getting on board this train. We'll know it's arrived the day Mack re-ups.

    Nice.

    I'd say the cohesive agreement to "Play Like a Brown" has a prerequisite of "Be Prepared."

    That 2 word phrase encompasses showing up in optimal shape (and staying there) so you can whip someone's ass for 60 minutes. Anyone that busts tail like that is very mentally equipped for the opportunity to finish the job on game day. Those that aren't - need oxygen after every 2 plays and always have excuses why they've never played up to their expectation here.Yes, I'm calling out the Phil Taylor that blows a pec out in weight room on the first day of an off season conditioning program that translated to missing our first 8 games 1 year. That doesn't happen to guys that are motivated or fit. There's always an excuse so I'm hoping the necessity of Danny Shelton puts a flame under Taylor's ass. I say that remembering how important it was for him predraft to impress teams with his nutritional changes, lost weight and eagerness to impress. I guess the silver lining here is Taylor LIKES being on this team and his teammates so the actions speaking louder than words puts the ball in his court.

    It also encompasses knowing all you need to about your upcoming opponents' strengths, tendencies and their vulnerabilities. Some teams win a lot games finding those pre-snap keys. Pettine got his NFL diapers on one of them. Since 1999, there's been a lot of defenses that knew our offense better than half the squids we were putting out there.

    As we saw in 2014, a young player's first opportunity to shine can come at any time especially in a world where injuries aren't pre-scheduled. Being prepared is a must. It all starts at the OTAs and steam rolls from there. Rookies like Bitonio, Crowell, Gabriel, Shaw, Williams, Kirksey all exemplified this. We also had some vets like Greco moving to another position (ie; Pittsburgh blowout) and we didn't skip a beat in that game. Robertson might have outplayed Dansby when he filled in. If PFF says otherwise based on how well they ranked Dansby vrs the run, the eye ball test it was worth a comparison. And whoever played NT during that span did a nice job keeping Robertson blocker-free. If Dansby excelled vrs the run before that, maybe the NT did a nice job with that all year. That said, nobody gave us the inside push Shelton can bring on the apex. I think all our LBers are gonna enjoy the personnel we're rotating in up front defensively.

    Even more about being prepared, the better our roster is built from top to bottom - such a proactive approach awards the ease of reaction to injury. We saw this as early as coming off 4-12 in 2014. We reached 6-3 and 7-4 around injuries until the injury volume reached FUBAR status.

  • I'll be damned...

    "Return of the Mack" is a song... 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    I'll be damned...

    "Return of the Mack" is a song... 😉

    Love that song my man so I gotta reward that with a biscuit. Since we're talking about the return of the Mack - let's revisit what followed a Bill Cowher "get physical" pep talk with his LBer.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+of+kevin+mack+running+over+greg+lloyd&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=8A69856C4610CD6208A38A69856C4610CD6208A3

  • Thanks for the replies and positive feedback folks.

    A good barometer of where we are and how we should feel about it is usually how many players you are excited about. Every time I use a list - I leave people off by accident or have trouble deciding where to end my list. If any of yuz has some player names I missed - run it! As others have said, this is easily going to be the toughest competition for the last 5 spots on the active roster as well for active duty in our situational rotations at dline/LBer/secondary/WR/TE/H-back/FB/RB.

    Ummm, stay tuned...

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I have loved this building process since day 1. And if they ever want to be proven right about the JM pick, then the trade-off of Hoyer for a more willing mentor with similar experience was the right move. Every building starts with a strong foundation if you want it to last a long time.

    Agreed, except for the "similar experience" comparison between Hoyer & McCown. Hoyer had a small sampling of game experience, while McCown has quite a bit & has faced more adverse situations. That's a big plus for McCown & more knowledge he can share with our young QBs.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Agreed, except for the "similar experience" comparison between Hoyer & McCown. Hoyer had a small sampling of game experience, while McCown has quite a bit & has faced more adverse situations. That's a big plus for McCown & more knowledge he can share with our young QBs.

    Mike

    Im with you on this one Mike.......

    While McCown and Hoyer might have some similarities, I see them as totally different players.....with McCown having a lot more experience......more maturity(and self confidence).....as well as better physical tools....

    And he lacks that "looking over his shoulder" thing that seemed to distract Hoyer so much.....

  • Thanks for the replies and positive feedback folks.

    A good barometer of where we are and how we should feel about it is usually how many players you are excited about. Every time I use a list - I leave people off by accident or have trouble deciding where to end my list. If any of yuz has some player names I missed - run it! As others have said, this is easily going to be the toughest competition for the last 5 spots on the active roster as well for active duty in our situational rotations at dline/LBer/secondary/WR/TE/H-back/FB/RB.

    Ummm, stay tuned...

    @flugel said:

    Thanks for the replies and positive feedback folks.

    A good barometer of where we are and how we should feel about it is usually how many players you are excited about. Every time I use a list - I leave people off by accident or have trouble deciding where to end my list.

    Ummm, stay tuned...

    Great write up Flugel......and I like the new longer list......

    LOTS and lots of players worthy of our excitement and high expectations.....

  • I agree Flug......I say we win at least 10

  • @tour2ma said:

    I'll be damned...

    "Return of the Mack" is a song... 😉

    Love that song my man so I gotta reward that with a biscuit. Since we're talking about the return of the Mack - let's revisit what followed a Bill Cowher "get physical" pep talk with his LBer.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+of+kevin+mack+running+over+greg+lloyd&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=8A69856C4610CD6208A38A69856C4610CD6208A3

    @flugel said:

    Love that song my man so I gotta reward that with a biscuit.

    Excellent... luvs me a good bisquit... try them with shredded, cheddar cheese and minced green onion folded into the batter...

    @mudfly said:

    Im with you on this one Mike.......

    While McCown and Hoyer might have some similarities, I see them as totally different players.....with McCown having a lot more experience......more maturity(and self confidence).....as well as better physical tools....

    And he lacks that "looking over his shoulder" thing that seemed to distract Hoyer so much.....

    Agree that Josh is more inherently secure than BH, but as I just wrote in another thread, I love the way Pet has handled his QB "competition" this year vs. last.

  • I'll be damned...

    "Return of the Mack" is a song... 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    I'll be damned...

    "Return of the Mack" is a song... 😉

    It's also the opening line of this song:

  • Talent + Good Coaching = Wins

    1 + 1 = 2

  • @flugel said:

    Love that song my man so I gotta reward that with a biscuit.

    Excellent... luvs me a good bisquit... try them with shredded, cheddar cheese and minced green onion folded into the batter...

    @mudfly said:

    Im with you on this one Mike.......

    While McCown and Hoyer might have some similarities, I see them as totally different players.....with McCown having a lot more experience......more maturity(and self confidence).....as well as better physical tools....

    And he lacks that "looking over his shoulder" thing that seemed to distract Hoyer so much.....

    Agree that Josh is more inherently secure than BH, but as I just wrote in another thread, I love the way Pet has handled his QB "competition" this year vs. last.

    @tour2ma said:

    Excellent... luvs me a good bisquit... try them with shredded, cheddar cheese and minced green onion folded into the batter...

    Agree that Josh is more inherently secure than BH, but as I just wrote in another thread, I love the way Pet has handled his QB "competition" this year vs. last.

    Pet, like his players, is always looking to improve himself.

    Mike

  • Talent + Good Coaching = Wins

    1 + 1 = 2

    @baconhound said:

    Talent + Good Coaching = Wins

    1 + 1 = 2

  • Talent + Good Coaching = Wins

    1 + 1 = 2

    @baconhound said:

    Talent + Good Coaching = Wins

    1 + 1 = 2

    I think it's more like ((Talent - Injury + Good Coaching - Poor Scheme Fit) x Temperature )^2 / (1.5(Player Engagement x Unforeseen Life Events))

  • @baconhound said:

    Talent + Good Coaching = Wins

    1 + 1 = 2

    I think it's more like ((Talent - Injury + Good Coaching - Poor Scheme Fit) x Temperature )^2 / (1.5(Player Engagement x Unforeseen Life Events))

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I think it's more like ((Talent - Injury + Good Coaching - Poor Scheme Fit) x Temperature )^2 / (1.5(Player Engagement x Unforeseen Life Events))

    All raised to the power of Character.

  • @baconhound said:

    Talent + Good Coaching = Wins

    1 + 1 = 2

    I think it's more like ((Talent - Injury + Good Coaching - Poor Scheme Fit) x Temperature )^2 / (1.5(Player Engagement x Unforeseen Life Events))

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I think it's more like ((Talent - Injury + Good Coaching - Poor Scheme Fit) x Temperature )^2 / (1.5(Player Engagement x Unforeseen Life Events))

    I think that formula elicited the following response: "Now I am become death, the destroyer or worlds"

    Is your last name Oppenheimer?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I think it's more like ((Talent - Injury + Good Coaching - Poor Scheme Fit) x Temperature )^2 / (1.5(Player Engagement x Unforeseen Life Events))

    All raised to the power of Character.

    @gftchris said:

    All raised to the power of Character.

    How could I have forgotten such an integral part of the equation.