Skip to content

Browns Sign David Patten

The Browns Board
44 25 3.0k
  • I think for right now the staff is happy with 1-2 year deals.....knowing what they want and the type of players they want, and the only guys willing to do 2 year deals are older players.

    This is going to be a drafted team.

    As for Patton....he is a pro who can catch...as someone else said....sort of like JJ in the stage of his career.

    I don't have a problem with the move. Patton is going to be an asset next year, and maybe one after that.

  • Since trade talks regarding Braylon have been confirmed, does that mean he is gonna pull a Cutler and throw a hissy fit?

    -Al

  • ARE YOU SERIOUS?

    I saw so many people complaning about Joe Jurevicious's age at 34..... and yet so many people are fine with Patten? 😒

  • Since trade talks regarding Braylon have been confirmed, does that mean he is gonna pull a Cutler and throw a hissy fit?

    -Al

    @geech said:

    Since trade talks regarding Braylon have been confirmed, does that mean he is gonna pull a Cutler and throw a hissy fit?

    -Al

    I doubt it.....because I think he wants to go.

    He has his fingers crossed.

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Patton will most likely be a one and done signing. You can't count on Cribbs and steptoe as a slot receiver. A guy like Patton is also injury protection. When Stallworth went down last year before the season started, we didn't have a veteran receiver to step in so the teams just rolled their coverage to Edwards and brought 8 in the box.

    Hey Patton could end up a #4 receiver but at least we have something to fall back on.

    Doesn't that being #4 mean we have a #2 and #3 receiver, because I don't really see one. I see some guys who can catch balls in a pinch, but certainly nothing along the lines of a #2 guy (yet).

    I can see Patten being one of the starting WRs. That doesn't really say much about our other talent at receiver.

    Pretty incredible that, after 4 years, we're still as thin (maybe thinner?) at receiver as when Opie/RAC took over.

    @lemosley01 said:

    Doesn't that being #4 mean we have a #2 and #3 receiver, because I don't really see one. I see some guys who can catch balls in a pinch, but certainly nothing along the lines of a #2 guy (yet).

    I can see Patten being one of the starting WRs. That doesn't really say much about our other talent at receiver.

    Pretty incredible that, after 4 years, we're still as thin (maybe thinner?) at receiver as when Opie/RAC took over.

    I said he could end up a #4 receiver. That's "could"............................meaning he comes to camp and we see what he has. It also means they shouldn't be done looking at WRs. If we don't pick Crabtree then we should pick a WR with one of our #2s. At best that puts Patton in the slot. If Cribbs is given a fair chance or we sign another FA Patton "could" be a #4 which isn't bad to have a veteran like him as a backup.

    So, being a #4 means we need "could" and "should" be looking for a #2 and #3. A #2 in the draft and a #3 from what we have and FA. Crabtree would be a great #2, most likely a #1, if drafted at 5. If we go for a LB at #5 then Britt, Iglesias or Robiskie could be a nice #2 if picked in the second round.

    My point was we shouldn't be done by signing WRs with Patton because he should be a slot #3, at best.

  • Another take with included dialogue about the qbs.

    By Patrick McManamon

    Beacon Journal columnist

    DANA POINT, Calif.: The Browns have not "shopped" quarterback Brady Quinn or wide receiver Braylon Edwards on the trade market, GM George Kokinis said Monday at the NFL's annual meetings

    Kokinis sat down during a lunch break and addressed many issues related to the Browns — including trade rumors surrounding Quinn and Edwards.

    Asked specifically if he had shopped Quinn and Edwards, Kokinis said no.

    He did say the team will sign free agent receiver David Patten soon. Patten fits a category of other free agent signings, which bring experienced veterans who can provide leadership, Kokinis said. Patten played for the Browns in 2000.

    Regarding trades, Kokinis said he had talked with Giants GM Jerry Reese at the scouting combine about his team's roster, but said he had no specific talks about trading Edwards to New York.

    He said he expects Quinn and Derek Anderson to be on the team come training camp, and he's eager to see which one adapts best to the new offense.

    The team will await legal results on the status of wide receiver Donte Stallworth before making a decision his status. Stallworth hit and killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach while driving his Bentley; results of blood tests taken on Stallworth at the scene have yet to be released. Kokinis said the Browns let him return to the team last week because it provided him some stability.

    Finally, Kokinis said the disagreement with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is on the way toward working itself out, and he said Rogers would fulfill all the requirements of his contract. That sounds like Rogers will be at the mandatory minicamps, but might miss the remainder of the voluntary offseason workout program.

    Kokinis said he did not demand Rogers lose weight, that Rogers dominated at his weight last season. He indicated the team's strength coach might have suggester Rogers lose weight, but no demand was made from Kokinis.

    More from this interview during the day on McManamon's blog and in Tuesday's Akron Beacon Journal.

  • Another take with included dialogue about the qbs.

    By Patrick McManamon

    Beacon Journal columnist

    DANA POINT, Calif.: The Browns have not "shopped" quarterback Brady Quinn or wide receiver Braylon Edwards on the trade market, GM George Kokinis said Monday at the NFL's annual meetings

    Kokinis sat down during a lunch break and addressed many issues related to the Browns — including trade rumors surrounding Quinn and Edwards.

    Asked specifically if he had shopped Quinn and Edwards, Kokinis said no.

    He did say the team will sign free agent receiver David Patten soon. Patten fits a category of other free agent signings, which bring experienced veterans who can provide leadership, Kokinis said. Patten played for the Browns in 2000.

    Regarding trades, Kokinis said he had talked with Giants GM Jerry Reese at the scouting combine about his team's roster, but said he had no specific talks about trading Edwards to New York.

    He said he expects Quinn and Derek Anderson to be on the team come training camp, and he's eager to see which one adapts best to the new offense.

    The team will await legal results on the status of wide receiver Donte Stallworth before making a decision his status. Stallworth hit and killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach while driving his Bentley; results of blood tests taken on Stallworth at the scene have yet to be released. Kokinis said the Browns let him return to the team last week because it provided him some stability.

    Finally, Kokinis said the disagreement with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is on the way toward working itself out, and he said Rogers would fulfill all the requirements of his contract. That sounds like Rogers will be at the mandatory minicamps, but might miss the remainder of the voluntary offseason workout program.

    Kokinis said he did not demand Rogers lose weight, that Rogers dominated at his weight last season. He indicated the team's strength coach might have suggester Rogers lose weight, but no demand was made from Kokinis.

    More from this interview during the day on McManamon's blog and in Tuesday's Akron Beacon Journal.

    @ballpeen said:

    Another take with included dialogue about the qbs.

    By Patrick McManamon

    Beacon Journal columnist

    DANA POINT, Calif.: The Browns have not "shopped" quarterback Brady Quinn or wide receiver Braylon Edwards on the trade market, GM George Kokinis said Monday at the NFL's annual meetings

    Kokinis sat down during a lunch break and addressed many issues related to the Browns — including trade rumors surrounding Quinn and Edwards.

    Asked specifically if he had shopped Quinn and Edwards, Kokinis said no.

    He did say the team will sign free agent receiver David Patten soon. Patten fits a category of other free agent signings, which bring experienced veterans who can provide leadership, Kokinis said. Patten played for the Browns in 2000.

    Regarding trades, Kokinis said he had talked with Giants GM Jerry Reese at the scouting combine about his team's roster, but said he had no specific talks about trading Edwards to New York.

    He said he expects Quinn and Derek Anderson to be on the team come training camp, and he's eager to see which one adapts best to the new offense.

    The team will await legal results on the status of wide receiver Donte Stallworth before making a decision his status. Stallworth hit and killed a pedestrian on Miami Beach while driving his Bentley; results of blood tests taken on Stallworth at the scene have yet to be released. Kokinis said the Browns let him return to the team last week because it provided him some stability.

    Finally, Kokinis said the disagreement with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is on the way toward working itself out, and he said Rogers would fulfill all the requirements of his contract. That sounds like Rogers will be at the mandatory minicamps, but might miss the remainder of the voluntary offseason workout program.

    Kokinis said he did not demand Rogers lose weight, that Rogers dominated at his weight last season. He indicated the team's strength coach might have suggester Rogers lose weight, but no demand was made from Kokinis.

    More from this interview during the day on McManamon's blog and in Tuesday's Akron Beacon Journal.

    That's the most said by the new regime since their hiring. Glad he put some rumors to rest and stopped some speculation. Now, that doesn't mean there won't be a trade, it just means they aren't shopping them. If someone comes calling they will listen.

  • @lemosley01 said:

    Doesn't that being #4 mean we have a #2 and #3 receiver, because I don't really see one. I see some guys who can catch balls in a pinch, but certainly nothing along the lines of a #2 guy (yet).

    I can see Patten being one of the starting WRs. That doesn't really say much about our other talent at receiver.

    Pretty incredible that, after 4 years, we're still as thin (maybe thinner?) at receiver as when Opie/RAC took over.

    I said he could end up a #4 receiver. That's "could"............................meaning he comes to camp and we see what he has. It also means they shouldn't be done looking at WRs. If we don't pick Crabtree then we should pick a WR with one of our #2s. At best that puts Patton in the slot. If Cribbs is given a fair chance or we sign another FA Patton "could" be a #4 which isn't bad to have a veteran like him as a backup.

    So, being a #4 means we need "could" and "should" be looking for a #2 and #3. A #2 in the draft and a #3 from what we have and FA. Crabtree would be a great #2, most likely a #1, if drafted at 5. If we go for a LB at #5 then Britt, Iglesias or Robiskie could be a nice #2 if picked in the second round.

    My point was we shouldn't be done by signing WRs with Patton because he should be a slot #3, at best.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I said he could end up a #4 receiver. That's "could"............................meaning he comes to camp and we see what he has. It also means they shouldn't be done looking at WRs. If we don't pick Crabtree then we should pick a WR with one of our #2s. At best that puts Patton in the slot. If Cribbs is given a fair chance or we sign another FA Patton "could" be a #4 which isn't bad to have a veteran like him as a backup.

    So, being a #4 means we need "could" and "should" be looking for a #2 and #3. A #2 in the draft and a #3 from what we have and FA. Crabtree would be a great #2, most likely a #1, if drafted at 5. If we go for a LB at #5 then Britt, Iglesias or Robiskie could be a nice #2 if picked in the second round.

    My point was we shouldn't be done by signing WRs with Patton because he should be a slot #3, at best.

    Got it. It seemed maybe you were happy with what's on roster now. I know I'm not.

    I think the big problem is we really don't know what we have on roster; RAC and Phil made such a cluster-xxxx mess of it, it's difficult to judge. I have no idea how Mangini and Kokinis can do it this early.

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I said he could end up a #4 receiver. That's "could"............................meaning he comes to camp and we see what he has. It also means they shouldn't be done looking at WRs. If we don't pick Crabtree then we should pick a WR with one of our #2s. At best that puts Patton in the slot. If Cribbs is given a fair chance or we sign another FA Patton "could" be a #4 which isn't bad to have a veteran like him as a backup.

    So, being a #4 means we need "could" and "should" be looking for a #2 and #3. A #2 in the draft and a #3 from what we have and FA. Crabtree would be a great #2, most likely a #1, if drafted at 5. If we go for a LB at #5 then Britt, Iglesias or Robiskie could be a nice #2 if picked in the second round.

    My point was we shouldn't be done by signing WRs with Patton because he should be a slot #3, at best.

    Got it. It seemed maybe you were happy with what's on roster now. I know I'm not.

    I think the big problem is we really don't know what we have on roster; RAC and Phil made such a cluster-xxxx mess of it, it's difficult to judge. I have no idea how Mangini and Kokinis can do it this early.

    @lemosley01 said:

    Got it. It seemed maybe you were happy with what's on roster now. I know I'm not.

    I think the big problem is we really don't know what we have on roster; RAC and Phil made such a cluster-xxxx mess of it, it's difficult to judge. I have no idea how Mangini and Kokinis can do it this early.

    I think there are guys on the roster that the new staff has no clue about because they never got a chance to play last year. But, believe me I don't like our roster and hope there are more changes. I'm one that says draft Crabtree at #5 and take your OLB at #36. There is more value at LB at #36 compared to Orakpo then there is WRs compared to Crabtree. Personally, I'm just not sold on Orakpo and think Crabtree would be the best player available, by far.

    Now, Seattle takes Crabtree and we don't have Curry or Crabtree to pick, try like hell to trade down.

  • Things just keep getting worse

  • Kokonis; "I'm excited to have Braylon on this team"...... Uh huh...Sure. That's why you are talking to N.Y.

    Kokonis; "I expect Braylon to have another productive season as he did two seasons ago"........Uh huh, With the Giants.

  • @lemosley01 said:

    Got it. It seemed maybe you were happy with what's on roster now. I know I'm not.

    I think the big problem is we really don't know what we have on roster; RAC and Phil made such a cluster-xxxx mess of it, it's difficult to judge. I have no idea how Mangini and Kokinis can do it this early.

    I think there are guys on the roster that the new staff has no clue about because they never got a chance to play last year. But, believe me I don't like our roster and hope there are more changes. I'm one that says draft Crabtree at #5 and take your OLB at #36. There is more value at LB at #36 compared to Orakpo then there is WRs compared to Crabtree. Personally, I'm just not sold on Orakpo and think Crabtree would be the best player available, by far.

    Now, Seattle takes Crabtree and we don't have Curry or Crabtree to pick, try like hell to trade down.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I think there are guys on the roster that the new staff has no clue about because they never got a chance to play last year. But, believe me I don't like our roster and hope there are more changes. I'm one that says draft Crabtree at #5 and take your OLB at #36. There is more value at LB at #36 compared to Orakpo then there is WRs compared to Crabtree. Personally, I'm just not sold on Orakpo and think Crabtree would be the best player available, by far.

    Now, Seattle takes Crabtree and we don't have Curry or Crabtree to pick, try like hell to trade down.

    If the Browns are talking to the Giants about Edwards then you have to think they are going with Crabtree at #5

  • Wake me up when we sign someone worth something..........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

  • I do not like the idea of losing 6-3 Braylon and stocking our ends with guys under 6 foot. You need at least 1 pony in your stable that can stretch the field in the z-axis in addition to the x,y. Crabtree & Nicks (the two top WR in the draft, imo) are both barely 6-1. Having a big target with soft hands to go to on 3rd & long makes a difference. And we just traded Joey J's replacement to Tampa Bay.

    Will the lack of interest in TO drive his price down for a season or two to make it worth it to pick him up (all assuming we do something dumb & trade BE)? Julio Jones from Bama in a year or two would be a hell of an addition to Crabtree.

  • I do not like the idea of losing 6-3 Braylon and stocking our ends with guys under 6 foot. You need at least 1 pony in your stable that can stretch the field in the z-axis in addition to the x,y. Crabtree & Nicks (the two top WR in the draft, imo) are both barely 6-1. Having a big target with soft hands to go to on 3rd & long makes a difference. And we just traded Joey J's replacement to Tampa Bay.

    Will the lack of interest in TO drive his price down for a season or two to make it worth it to pick him up (all assuming we do something dumb & trade BE)? Julio Jones from Bama in a year or two would be a hell of an addition to Crabtree.

    @legacy-fan said:

    I do not like the idea of losing 6-3 Braylon and stocking our ends with guys under 6 foot. You need at least 1 pony in your stable that can stretch the field in the z-axis in addition to the x,y. Crabtree & Nicks (the two top WR in the draft, imo) are both barely 6-1. Having a big target with soft hands to go to on 3rd & long makes a difference. And we just traded Joey J's replacement to Tampa Bay.

    The Steelers don't think so. Ward, Washington and Holmes. 6'1, 6' and 5'11"

  • @legacy-fan said:

    I do not like the idea of losing 6-3 Braylon and stocking our ends with guys under 6 foot. You need at least 1 pony in your stable that can stretch the field in the z-axis in addition to the x,y. Crabtree & Nicks (the two top WR in the draft, imo) are both barely 6-1. Having a big target with soft hands to go to on 3rd & long makes a difference. And we just traded Joey J's replacement to Tampa Bay.

    The Steelers don't think so. Ward, Washington and Holmes. 6'1, 6' and 5'11"

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    The Steelers don't think so. Ward, Washington and Holmes. 6'1, 6' and 5'11"

    True, but when your QB can scramble, with a lineman or two hanging off of him, and still make the throw - those guys suddenly grow about 4 inches.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    The Steelers don't think so. Ward, Washington and Holmes. 6'1, 6' and 5'11"

    True, but when your QB can scramble, with a lineman or two hanging off of him, and still make the throw - those guys suddenly grow about 4 inches.

    @legacy-fan said:

    True, but when your QB can scramble, with a lineman or two hanging off of him, and still make the throw - those guys suddenly grow about 4 inches.

    I can't argue there. I agree

  • I like Patton and always have, but they should have signed him last year when he was available. Phillip had his head up his ass on that one, he would have come cheap and who knows, maybe he doesn't get hurt.

    Patton is a solid team player who has more game than people think, regardless of his age. He can go up and get it, runs solid routes and will surprise you with his speed at times. This is a good signing.

  • ARE YOU SERIOUS?

    I saw so many people complaning about Joe Jurevicious's age at 34..... and yet so many people are fine with Patten? 😒

    @deadwombat said:

    ARE YOU SERIOUS?

    I saw so many people complaning about Joe Jurevicious's age at 34..... and yet so many people are fine with Patten? 😒

    I'm not one who complained about Joe's age, but I am scared about that knee and X amount of surgeries from round after round of Staph.

    Sure, Joe said he could play, so did LCB.

    I would have liked to see Joe continue on but he's been in BAD shape over 2 of 3 of the last seasons and we don't know how much he's got left on his wheels.

    Patten isn't coming off of a season where he's getting his knee rebuilt.

    Out of a healthy Joe and a healthy Patten I'd rather have Joe, but we don't know Joe's current state.

    Maybe he was brought in and failed his physical and the staff (no pun intended) didn't say anything because they wanted Joe to have a shot somewhere else, maybe it was a salary issue, maybe both.

    Point is, they're running a pretty tight ship with almost no information being passed on to us until it's happened and we don't know all of the story even when it has.

  • I agree.

    You take the age and add in all the other stuff and you have a bad mix.

    And....we offered to keep Joe....just not at what he was making. Pattons contract is probably in line with what we were willing to pay Joe.