Skip to content

Redskins lose Trademark Registration

The Browns Board
99 21 3.6k
  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #46

    Well I guess you're not an Indians fan. So it's only about defending your team, not helping others? Because the fans of one team versus the entire rest of the country will ALWAYS lose.

  • Well I guess you're not an Indians fan. So it's only about defending your team, not helping others? Because the fans of one team versus the entire rest of the country will ALWAYS lose.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #47

    @wargograw said:

    Well I guess you're not an Indians fan. So it's only about defending your team, not helping others? Because the fans of one team versus the entire rest of the country will ALWAYS lose.

    I have no clue what your talking about. This has zero to do with me defending my team only or my Indians fandom. First time someones come after me for "not" having a strong opinion on something. Hey...If Chief Wahoo goes, then so be it. It he stays, thats fine too. Logos and names change and it doesnt bother me one tiny bit.

    Here's how I look at this. Its not my fight, not is it yours. Its between a business owner, a group of Indians and the law. Simple. Im not offended by it, nor do I care if they change it. Doesnt effect my life one way or the other, Personally, as a business owner, if people picketed me.....sued me....and regularly protested by business name, then Id probably have to consider changing it to get better pr....but thats me.....but do I care about Daniel Snyder and his business?.....nope, nada, zip...

    Btw.....i LOVE the potato idea!

  • @jrb12711 said:

    All of those names you describe don't carry the same weight of redskin. Blackhawk was a revered warrior and leader of the area close to Chicago, Braves were warriors in general, and Indians were akin to calling "African-American" people "black". Sure, even some people find that wrong but most people accept that. The logos, especially Chief Wahoo, are I'm sure going to change sooner than latter.

    Redskin was the slang term for Native Americans akin to using the "n-word" for black people. There's a lot of interesting ideas of the history behind the word itself, but it undoubtedly became the slang phrase to use towards Native Americans as lesser, inferior people. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other really but I can understand why Native Americans would be pretty peeved off about it.

    It's a myth that they're "peeved off" about it. They've never even complained about it until a couple years ago when this entire hubbub started. To grant their request now would be to implicitly grant license to anyone to begin complaining about anything NFL-related with the knowledge that the NFL will soon enough cave.

    Page 1 of the liberal playbook: complain until you get your way. No coincidence these are the same techniques used by small children.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @wargograw said:

    It's a myth that they're "peeved off" about it. They've never even complained about it until a couple years ago when this entire hubbub started. To grant their request now would be to implicitly grant license to anyone to begin complaining about anything NFL-related with the knowledge that the NFL will soon enough cave.

    Page 1 of the liberal playbook: complain until you get your way. No coincidence these are the same techniques used by small children.

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    @jrb12711 said:

    So you've talked to many Native Americans and asked their opinion on it? So I should tell my Native American friends who, ya know, live and work with other Native Americans and have always been opposed to the slur they don't actually feel that way? Get your head out of your ass for 2 seconds and realize the world is a big place. Just because you feel like it shouldn't offend anyone doesn't mean jack shit. It's not "liberal" or "PC" to change things that marginalize huge groups of people, it's the right thing to do.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

  • So I suppose it's just come to a head the last 2 years for no real reason, Gipper? Ok.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @wargograw said:

    So I suppose it's just come to a head the last 2 years for no real reason, Gipper? Ok.

    This is the second day after which it was declared by a court that the name and logos are no longer entitled to trademark registration. To my knowledge this is the first time such a challenge has been made and such an authoritative ruling been issued by a court.

    That is the reason it has now "come to a head"....because never in history has there been legal consequences to the use of the term....only "moral" consequences. Now there may in fact be a legal impact.

  • If that is the case then why are people now conceding the issue? Why isn't the reaction "ehh, this happens every few years. It's not gonna change."? All I see out there is "yeah they're gonna change it pretty soon."

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @wargograw said:

    If that is the case then why are people now conceding the issue? Why isn't the reaction "ehh, this happens every few years. It's not gonna change."? All I see out there is "yeah they're gonna change it pretty soon."

    See the answer to my previous post. If there are negative legal and/or commercial consequences to the continued use of it, then maybe it will change. It is not mandatory that it change. Dan Snyder says it will not change. If the 31 other owners lose millions of bucks on the deal they may however have their say. I mean, if they think they are going to lose a farthing on a deal they jump up and down like they are walking on hot coals.

  • @wargograw said:

    Well I guess you're not an Indians fan. So it's only about defending your team, not helping others? Because the fans of one team versus the entire rest of the country will ALWAYS lose.

    I have no clue what your talking about. This has zero to do with me defending my team only or my Indians fandom. First time someones come after me for "not" having a strong opinion on something. Hey...If Chief Wahoo goes, then so be it. It he stays, thats fine too. Logos and names change and it doesnt bother me one tiny bit.

    Here's how I look at this. Its not my fight, not is it yours. Its between a business owner, a group of Indians and the law. Simple. Im not offended by it, nor do I care if they change it. Doesnt effect my life one way or the other, Personally, as a business owner, if people picketed me.....sued me....and regularly protested by business name, then Id probably have to consider changing it to get better pr....but thats me.....but do I care about Daniel Snyder and his business?.....nope, nada, zip...

    Btw.....i LOVE the potato idea!

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @mudfly said:

    I have no clue what your talking about. This has zero to do with me defending my team only or my Indians fandom. First time someones come after me for "not" having a strong opinion on something. Hey...If Chief Wahoo goes, then so be it. It he stays, thats fine too. Logos and names change and it doesnt bother me one tiny bit.

    Here's how I look at this. Its not my fight, not is it yours. Its between a business owner, a group of Indians and the law. Simple. Im not offended by it, nor do I care if they change it. Doesnt effect my life one way or the other, Personally, as a business owner, if people picketed me.....sued me....and regularly protested by business name, then Id probably have to consider changing it to get better pr....but thats me.....but do I care about Daniel Snyder and his business?.....nope, nada, zip...

    Btw.....i LOVE the potato idea!

    Well that's great idealistic thinking. If it was just Snyder versus native Americans, then fine. But it's Snyder versus Native Americans, the ACLU, our president, our Congress, etc.

  • @wargograw said:

    If that is the case then why are people now conceding the issue? Why isn't the reaction "ehh, this happens every few years. It's not gonna change."? All I see out there is "yeah they're gonna change it pretty soon."

    See the answer to my previous post. If there are negative legal and/or commercial consequences to the continued use of it, then maybe it will change. It is not mandatory that it change. Dan Snyder says it will not change. If the 31 other owners lose millions of bucks on the deal they may however have their say. I mean, if they think they are going to lose a farthing on a deal they jump up and down like they are walking on hot coals.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @the-gipper said:

    See the answer to my previous post. If there are negative legal and/or commercial consequences to the continued use of it, then maybe it will change. It is not mandatory that it change. Dan Snyder says it will not change. If the 31 other owners lose millions of bucks on the deal they may however have their say. I mean, if they think they are going to lose a farthing on a deal they jump up and down like they are walking on hot coals.

    I get what you're saying but it was coming to a head long before this decision. Felt like it anyway.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #53

    I actually wish they would name a team the Crackers if it would give every other team immunity.

  • @wargograw said:

    Well I guess you're not an Indians fan. So it's only about defending your team, not helping others? Because the fans of one team versus the entire rest of the country will ALWAYS lose.

    I have no clue what your talking about. This has zero to do with me defending my team only or my Indians fandom. First time someones come after me for "not" having a strong opinion on something. Hey...If Chief Wahoo goes, then so be it. It he stays, thats fine too. Logos and names change and it doesnt bother me one tiny bit.

    Here's how I look at this. Its not my fight, not is it yours. Its between a business owner, a group of Indians and the law. Simple. Im not offended by it, nor do I care if they change it. Doesnt effect my life one way or the other, Personally, as a business owner, if people picketed me.....sued me....and regularly protested by business name, then Id probably have to consider changing it to get better pr....but thats me.....but do I care about Daniel Snyder and his business?.....nope, nada, zip...

    Btw.....i LOVE the potato idea!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @mudfly said:

    I have no clue what your talking about. This has zero to do with me defending my team only or my Indians fandom. First time someones come after me for "not" having a strong opinion on something. Hey...If Chief Wahoo goes, then so be it. It he stays, thats fine too. Logos and names change and it doesnt bother me one tiny bit.

    Here's how I look at this. Its not my fight, not is it yours. Its between a business owner, a group of Indians and the law. Simple. Im not offended by it, nor do I care if they change it. Doesnt effect my life one way or the other, Personally, as a business owner, if people picketed me.....sued me....and regularly protested by business name, then Id probably have to consider changing it to get better pr....but thats me.....but do I care about Daniel Snyder and his business?.....nope, nada, zip...

    Btw.....i LOVE the potato idea!

    Liberals are always picketing my office because of my use of the moniker "the Gipper" in social media. They think I am going turn a blind eye to apartheid, or sell arms to Iran, or cut money to AIDS research, or institute trickle down policies, or kick guys they think are keeping our airlines safe out of a job.

    I have to tell them....there you go again, confusing me with that other guy. Get it through your head. He is dead....and so is the football player he portrayed in a movie. This is just little ole me. 😵 😆

  • @wargograw said:

    It's a myth that they're "peeved off" about it. They've never even complained about it until a couple years ago when this entire hubbub started. To grant their request now would be to implicitly grant license to anyone to begin complaining about anything NFL-related with the knowledge that the NFL will soon enough cave.

    Page 1 of the liberal playbook: complain until you get your way. No coincidence these are the same techniques used by small children.

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    @jrb12711 said:

    So you've talked to many Native Americans and asked their opinion on it? So I should tell my Native American friends who, ya know, live and work with other Native Americans and have always been opposed to the slur they don't actually feel that way? Get your head out of your ass for 2 seconds and realize the world is a big place. Just because you feel like it shouldn't offend anyone doesn't mean jack shit. It's not "liberal" or "PC" to change things that marginalize huge groups of people, it's the right thing to do.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    The Rainbow Warriors were the name of the Hawaii University sports teams.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    Is that an offer? You looking for a little gay Indian action?

    4ffca83b9bfafbe097afd322d9c3ad1c.jpg

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    The Rainbow Warriors were the name of the Hawaii University sports teams.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    Is that an offer? You looking for a little gay Indian action?

    4ffca83b9bfafbe097afd322d9c3ad1c.jpg

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @the-gipper said:

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    The Rainbow Warriors were the name of the Hawaii University sports teams.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    Is that an offer? You looking for a little gay Indian action?

    4ffca83b9bfafbe097afd322d9c3ad1c.jpg

    Sure thing fat ass.

  • @the-gipper said:

    See the answer to my previous post. If there are negative legal and/or commercial consequences to the continued use of it, then maybe it will change. It is not mandatory that it change. Dan Snyder says it will not change. If the 31 other owners lose millions of bucks on the deal they may however have their say. I mean, if they think they are going to lose a farthing on a deal they jump up and down like they are walking on hot coals.

    I get what you're saying but it was coming to a head long before this decision. Felt like it anyway.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @wargograw said:

    I get what you're saying but it was coming to a head long before this decision. Felt like it anyway.

    No, hell, its been a lot worse from a protest standpoint. Like I said, you must be very young. This has been going on forever. (and that includes Chief Wahoo protests....of which I own several hats and shirts with that logo)

  • @the-gipper said:

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    The Rainbow Warriors were the name of the Hawaii University sports teams.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    Is that an offer? You looking for a little gay Indian action?

    4ffca83b9bfafbe097afd322d9c3ad1c.jpg

    Sure thing fat ass.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    @the-gipper said:

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    The Rainbow Warriors were the name of the Hawaii University sports teams.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    Is that an offer? You looking for a little gay Indian action?

    4ffca83b9bfafbe097afd322d9c3ad1c.jpg

    Sure thing fat ass.

    I belee dat. You live in Albecracky....maybe you can find this guy out at the Jicarilla.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #59

    Go eat a donut.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #60

    oh the great ol' U S of A where you are a hero if you change your gender or march to defend thugs.

    how come there is no great surge or PC push to change the indian's 'chief wahoo' logo? (maybe cuz the indians don't play in dc?)

    how about this, we scrap everything ever done. clean your mind of the overly gay frankenberry commercials, the times where people used to drink and smoke on tv. stop all comedians from cracking jokes that might offend people and we can all have grey skin (melting pot), no hair, big eyes, no nose and dress in robes and watch soccer. how's that? will everybody be happy then?

    (doubt it).

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #61

    Great post Mik.

  • @wargograw said:

    It's a myth that they're "peeved off" about it. They've never even complained about it until a couple years ago when this entire hubbub started. To grant their request now would be to implicitly grant license to anyone to begin complaining about anything NFL-related with the knowledge that the NFL will soon enough cave.

    Page 1 of the liberal playbook: complain until you get your way. No coincidence these are the same techniques used by small children.

    No one cares except the rainbow warrior crowd.

    @jrb12711 said:

    So you've talked to many Native Americans and asked their opinion on it? So I should tell my Native American friends who, ya know, live and work with other Native Americans and have always been opposed to the slur they don't actually feel that way? Get your head out of your ass for 2 seconds and realize the world is a big place. Just because you feel like it shouldn't offend anyone doesn't mean jack shit. It's not "liberal" or "PC" to change things that marginalize huge groups of people, it's the right thing to do.

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Fuck you and your 'native american friends'. I don't give a rats ass.

    ....Thank you, my friend for putting my point exactly into words.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Hey look... they're taking down the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag at the South Carolina state capitol as I type this.

    Times change folks.

    Movements that dare consider the rights/needs/sensibilities of others tend to gain support over time.

    Always have...

    Always will.

  • Hey look... they're taking down the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag at the South Carolina state capitol as I type this.

    Times change folks.

    Movements that dare consider the rights/needs/sensibilities of others tend to gain support over time.

    Always have...

    Always will.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @tour2ma said:

    Hey look... they're taking down the Army of Northern Virginia battle flag at the South Carolina state capitol as I type this.

    Times change folks.

    Movements that dare consider the rights/needs/sensibilities of others tend to gain support over time.

    Always have...

    Always will.

    And they changed your original posting of Sweet Home Alabama so the cover no longer has the Confederate Battle Flag. PC has lost it entirely.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #65

    Lyrics to the A&M 12th Man song have changed now too, "Texas Agriculturalists down In agricultural land, we've got agricultural spirit to a man/woman/child/transexual/gay/lesbian/etc." 😆