Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Mayock's New Top 20

Mayock's New Top 20

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
34 Posts 10 Posters 2.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • YtownBrownsBacker Y
    • 2k Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I can't get the link over here but it's very interesting that he has dropped Orakpo to #10 and Raji to #11. Some other brow raising slotting for me are Morino at #6 and Ayers at #5. A lot of guys from Scouts.com new list aren't even in his top 20. Kiper's is a lot different then this also. I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I see things changing weekly for the next couple of weeks. After you get past the two tackles, Curry and Crabtree it looks like anything goes.

    1. Curry

    2. Monroe

    3. Crabtree

    4. Jason Smith

    5. Robert Ayers

    6. Morino

    7. Pettigrew

    8. Stafford

    9. Maclin

    10. Orakpo

    11. Raji

    12. Sanchez

    13. A. Smith

    14. V. Davis

    15. Harvin

    16. Peria

    17. Jenkins

    18. L. Freeman

    19. Cushing

    20. English

    ? 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Y YtownBrownsBacker

      I can't get the link over here but it's very interesting that he has dropped Orakpo to #10 and Raji to #11. Some other brow raising slotting for me are Morino at #6 and Ayers at #5. A lot of guys from Scouts.com new list aren't even in his top 20. Kiper's is a lot different then this also. I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I see things changing weekly for the next couple of weeks. After you get past the two tackles, Curry and Crabtree it looks like anything goes.

      1. Curry

      2. Monroe

      3. Crabtree

      4. Jason Smith

      5. Robert Ayers

      6. Morino

      7. Pettigrew

      8. Stafford

      9. Maclin

      10. Orakpo

      11. Raji

      12. Sanchez

      13. A. Smith

      14. V. Davis

      15. Harvin

      16. Peria

      17. Jenkins

      18. L. Freeman

      19. Cushing

      20. English

      mz. ?
      • Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      ? mz. wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @ytownbrownsbacker said:

      5. Robert Ayers

      Now, THAT'S not a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.

      Y 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • ? Guest

        @ytownbrownsbacker said:

        5. Robert Ayers

        Now, THAT'S not a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.

        YtownBrownsBacker Y
        • 2k Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
        #3

        mz. said:

        Now, THAT'S not a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.

        Maybe not a stretch but I haven't seen him ranked ahead of Orakpo or Raji before.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • mz. ?
          • Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          ? mz. wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Seems like a make-up call (if we were to do it) for missing out on Curry???

          M 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 9k Posts
            • 2k Reputation
            ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Morineo is looking a lot like Portis...I might go that direction.

            If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ? Guest

              Seems like a make-up call (if we were to do it) for missing out on Curry???

              mole644 M
              • 88 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              M mole644 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              mz. said:

              Seems like a make-up call (if we were to do it) for missing out on Curry???

              This ins't a mock draft, its just one guys opinion of the 20 best players in the draft.

              I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more Jerome Harrison
              Oldcrow1945O Y 2 Replies Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                • 1k Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Ayers? Are you kidding me?

                I was looking at Walter Football today. Walter is leaning heavily to the Browns taking Sanchez. He thinks Mangini wants his own guy.

                Walter also moved Barwin up to the Pats at pick #33....Damn! I really could see that happening.

                Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                D ballpeenB 2 Replies Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • M mole644

                  mz. said:

                  Seems like a make-up call (if we were to do it) for missing out on Curry???

                  This ins't a mock draft, its just one guys opinion of the 20 best players in the draft.

                  Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                  • 1k Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by Oldcrow1945
                  #8

                  @mole644 said:

                  This ins't a mock draft, its just one guys opinion of the 20 best players in the draft.

                  I just found that too.....Thanks

                  It still is surprising that he has Ayers as the 5th best player in the draft. Wow

                  Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945

                    Ayers? Are you kidding me?

                    I was looking at Walter Football today. Walter is leaning heavily to the Browns taking Sanchez. He thinks Mangini wants his own guy.

                    Walter also moved Barwin up to the Pats at pick #33....Damn! I really could see that happening.

                    darubes D One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 247 Posts
                    • 11 Reputation
                    D darubes wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @oldcrow1945 said:

                    Ayers? Are you kidding me?

                    I was looking at Walter Football today. Walter is leaning heavily to the Browns taking Sanchez. He thinks Mangini wants his own guy.

                    Walter also moved Barwin up to the Pats at pick #33....Damn! I really could see that happening.

                    Sanchez?? SANCHEZ??? Are you kidding me?????? I can see the Browns drafting a lot of

                    different guys but a QB??? With all the holes on this team you draft a QB??? Are you

                    kidding me????? If Mangini/Kokinis blows a #5 on a QB Randy Lerner should sell the team.

                    Riffer XR Oldcrow1945O 2 Replies Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • D darubes

                      @oldcrow1945 said:

                      Ayers? Are you kidding me?

                      I was looking at Walter Football today. Walter is leaning heavily to the Browns taking Sanchez. He thinks Mangini wants his own guy.

                      Walter also moved Barwin up to the Pats at pick #33....Damn! I really could see that happening.

                      Sanchez?? SANCHEZ??? Are you kidding me?????? I can see the Browns drafting a lot of

                      different guys but a QB??? With all the holes on this team you draft a QB??? Are you

                      kidding me????? If Mangini/Kokinis blows a #5 on a QB Randy Lerner should sell the team.

                      Riffer X Riffer XR Very Popular Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 3k Posts
                      • 127 Reputation
                      Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @darubes said:

                      Sanchez?? SANCHEZ??? Are you kidding me?????? I can see the Browns drafting a lot of

                      different guys but a QB??? With all the holes on this team you draft a QB??? Are you

                      kidding me????? If Mangini/Kokinis blows a #5 on a QB Randy Lerner should sell the team.

                      When Belichick was full on gutting the team he wanted Klingler badly if I remember correctly.

                      I think I'm starting to get old or something.

                      Is a pig's ass pork?
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • M mole644

                        mz. said:

                        Seems like a make-up call (if we were to do it) for missing out on Curry???

                        This ins't a mock draft, its just one guys opinion of the 20 best players in the draft.

                        YtownBrownsBacker Y
                        • 2k Posts
                        • 0 Reputation
                        Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @mole644 said:

                        This ins't a mock draft, its just one guys opinion of the 20 best players in the draft.

                        I didn't mean to let on that it was his mock. It is just his top 20 as he has them ranked.

                        What's funny, I now see that Scouts.com also has dropped Orakpo to #10 on their ranked palyer list. they have Ayers #39 and English #33. they also have Moreno as #14.

                        I think it really show that after the first 4 or 5 players there's a lot of equal talent and a bunch of indecision. It seems that after every pro day the lineup changes. It's like everybody forgot there was a 2008 season and a lot of tape on these guys.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Snatch98 S
                          • 199 Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          S Snatch98 wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Mayock loves Ayers and if you watch the tape he was/is a damn monster. The problem is it was a 1 year spike in performance so teams are trying to evaluate how legit he is and whether or not the risk a high selection. You can bet your ass if he did what he did last season a additional time he'd be a top 15 selection. Watch the tape the dude is a beast. He also had a solid senior bowl and I can't recall his combine numbers at the moment.

                          ? 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945

                            Ayers? Are you kidding me?

                            I was looking at Walter Football today. Walter is leaning heavily to the Browns taking Sanchez. He thinks Mangini wants his own guy.

                            Walter also moved Barwin up to the Pats at pick #33....Damn! I really could see that happening.

                            ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 9k Posts
                            • 2k Reputation
                            ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @oldcrow1945 said:

                            Ayers? Are you kidding me?

                            I was looking at Walter Football today. Walter is leaning heavily to the Browns taking Sanchez. He thinks Mangini wants his own guy.

                            Walter also moved Barwin up to the Pats at pick #33....Damn! I really could see that happening.

                            I wouldn't rule out QB with the pick.

                            If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • S Snatch98

                              Mayock loves Ayers and if you watch the tape he was/is a damn monster. The problem is it was a 1 year spike in performance so teams are trying to evaluate how legit he is and whether or not the risk a high selection. You can bet your ass if he did what he did last season a additional time he'd be a top 15 selection. Watch the tape the dude is a beast. He also had a solid senior bowl and I can't recall his combine numbers at the moment.

                              Aloysius ?
                              • Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @snatch98 said:

                              Mayock loves Ayers and if you watch the tape he was/is a damn monster.

                              He was good, not great. Ayers only notched three sacks last year, though he had an additional four as a situational rusher in '07.

                              The problem is it was a 1 year spike in performance so teams are trying to evaluate how legit he is and whether or not the risk a high selection. You can bet your ass if he did what he did last season a additional time he'd be a top 15 selection. Watch the tape the dude is a beast. He also had a solid senior bowl and I can't recall his combine numbers at the moment.

                              He had an incredible Senior Bowl, but his Combine numbers weren't all too impressive - 4.77 40, 4.51 shuttle, 7.58 3-cone, 29.5" vert, 18 reps of 225. Not the kind of numbers that would boost his draft stock.

                              Ayers also was charged with assault back in '05 after he & Jerod Mayo beat up a college student. So character might be an issue.

                              I really like what he does on the field. He could be a Justin Tuck-type 4-3 DE, and he may be athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB. But I don't think he's the 5th best player in this year's draft; I'm surprised Mayock has him that high.

                              S 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 9k Posts
                                • 2k Reputation
                                ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                I agree.

                                That is why I don't like the current process. A few months ago after all the games were played, Ayers was maybe a later to lower mid first rounder. Now we have this goof placing him at #5??

                                I wouldn't give all this combine stuff a grade weight of more than 5% as compared to watching games and live game scouting.

                                I think more teams blow picks at this point of the process than at any other point.

                                Unless you have done a really bad job of scouting through out the season....guys shouldn't jump or drop drastic amounts......the exceptions being small school guys who may not have gotten the looks....but Tennessee isn't a small school, so there was no shortage of him being viewed more than a few times somewhere along the way.

                                If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • Aloysius ?
                                  • Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  I kinda disagree, especially with calling Mayock a "goof".

                                  During the Senior Bowl coverage, Mayock kept on referring to Ayers as "a stack & shed 4-3 end," which I take to be code for "great against the run (15.5 TFL's), but nothing special coming off the edge." But after Ayers shamed Oher at practice and matched his senior season sack total during the actual game, Mayock went back to the tape to see what he'd missed.

                                  Apparently, he really liked what he saw of Ayers' rush skills. Mayock talks a lot about how Ayers gave Andre Smith fits in the Alabama game - a little unfair to Smith, given that Ayers did most of his damage against Bama's LG, but Ayers did beat him once or twice.

                                  This isn't a case of a workout warrior wowing people at the Combine & surging up draft boards. Perhaps he's overrating Ayers a little bit, but it's not because of how he looks in shorts. During the Combine coverage, Mayock was actually warning people that Michael Johnson would look great in drills but isn't nearly as impressive when you watch him on film. He factors in workout numbers, but he's more of a film guy.

                                  ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • D darubes

                                    @oldcrow1945 said:

                                    Ayers? Are you kidding me?

                                    I was looking at Walter Football today. Walter is leaning heavily to the Browns taking Sanchez. He thinks Mangini wants his own guy.

                                    Walter also moved Barwin up to the Pats at pick #33....Damn! I really could see that happening.

                                    Sanchez?? SANCHEZ??? Are you kidding me?????? I can see the Browns drafting a lot of

                                    different guys but a QB??? With all the holes on this team you draft a QB??? Are you

                                    kidding me????? If Mangini/Kokinis blows a #5 on a QB Randy Lerner should sell the team.

                                    Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                                    • 1k Posts
                                    • 0 Reputation
                                    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by Oldcrow1945
                                    #17

                                    @darubes said:

                                    Sanchez?? SANCHEZ??? Are you kidding me?????? I can see the Browns drafting a lot of

                                    different guys but a QB??? With all the holes on this team you draft a QB??? Are you

                                    kidding me????? If Mangini/Kokinis blows a #5 on a QB Randy Lerner should sell the team.

                                    Obviously this would all depend the Browns moving Quinn and possibly even Anderson. If they would move these guys and depending on what they received in return, Picking Sanchez is not as crazy as you seem to think it is.

                                    Those holes you metnion could then be filled with the pickes receieved for Quinn and /or Anderson.

                                    I seriously doubt Walter football was talking about drafting Sanchez with Quinn and Anderson on the roster. You certainly realize this, correct?

                                    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                                    Legacy FanL 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945

                                      @darubes said:

                                      Sanchez?? SANCHEZ??? Are you kidding me?????? I can see the Browns drafting a lot of

                                      different guys but a QB??? With all the holes on this team you draft a QB??? Are you

                                      kidding me????? If Mangini/Kokinis blows a #5 on a QB Randy Lerner should sell the team.

                                      Obviously this would all depend the Browns moving Quinn and possibly even Anderson. If they would move these guys and depending on what they received in return, Picking Sanchez is not as crazy as you seem to think it is.

                                      Those holes you metnion could then be filled with the pickes receieved for Quinn and /or Anderson.

                                      I seriously doubt Walter football was talking about drafting Sanchez with Quinn and Anderson on the roster. You certainly realize this, correct?

                                      Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
                                      • 3k Posts
                                      • 197 Reputation
                                      Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @oldcrow1945 said:

                                      Obviously this would all depend the Browns moving Quinn and possibly even Anderson. If they would move these guys and depending on what they received in return, Picking Sanchez is not as crazy as you seem to think it is.

                                      Those holes you metnion could then be filled with the pickes receieved for Quinn and /or Anderson.

                                      I seriously doubt Walter football was talking about drafting Sanchez with Quinn and Anderson on the roster. You certainly realize this, correct?

                                      I think what he's concerned about (as am I) is that the focus of an NFL season should remain the playoffs/SB. Lets just say we make this move and it takes at least a season or two before Sanchez "gets" it.

                                      BE's contract has come & gone, JT is about up for renewal (hopefully), Steinbach, Heiden & Tucker have probably retired, Cribbs will be a free agent & possibly gone, E.WRight is a FA, hell even Dawson could be gone at that point. Now what? We have Timmy Sofa version 2.0 with no one to one to throw to, or protect him.

                                      I know the core of the idea is to build longevity for teams, but why not try and win a game or two in the process? How do we expect to be successful if we keep shifting the need of new core players through the roster every season or two?

                                      Unless there is a trophy for most draft picks on day one...

                                      Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
                                      Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Legacy FanL Legacy Fan

                                        @oldcrow1945 said:

                                        Obviously this would all depend the Browns moving Quinn and possibly even Anderson. If they would move these guys and depending on what they received in return, Picking Sanchez is not as crazy as you seem to think it is.

                                        Those holes you metnion could then be filled with the pickes receieved for Quinn and /or Anderson.

                                        I seriously doubt Walter football was talking about drafting Sanchez with Quinn and Anderson on the roster. You certainly realize this, correct?

                                        I think what he's concerned about (as am I) is that the focus of an NFL season should remain the playoffs/SB. Lets just say we make this move and it takes at least a season or two before Sanchez "gets" it.

                                        BE's contract has come & gone, JT is about up for renewal (hopefully), Steinbach, Heiden & Tucker have probably retired, Cribbs will be a free agent & possibly gone, E.WRight is a FA, hell even Dawson could be gone at that point. Now what? We have Timmy Sofa version 2.0 with no one to one to throw to, or protect him.

                                        I know the core of the idea is to build longevity for teams, but why not try and win a game or two in the process? How do we expect to be successful if we keep shifting the need of new core players through the roster every season or two?

                                        Unless there is a trophy for most draft picks on day one...

                                        Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
                                        • 1k Posts
                                        • 0 Reputation
                                        Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @legacy-fan said:

                                        I think what he's concerned about (as am I) is that the focus of an NFL season should remain the playoffs/SB. Lets just say we make this move and it takes at least a season or two before Sanchez "gets" it.

                                        BE's contract has come & gone, JT is about up for renewal (hopefully), Steinbach, Heiden & Tucker have probably retired, Cribbs will be a free agent & possibly gone, E.WRight is a FA, hell even Dawson could be gone at that point. Now what? We have Timmy Sofa version 2.0 with no one to one to throw to, or protect him.

                                        I know the core of the idea is to build longevity for teams, but why not try and win a game or two in the process? How do we expect to be successful if we keep shifting the need of new core players through the roster every season or two?

                                        Unless there is a trophy for most draft picks on day one...

                                        Don't get me wrong. I don't want to draft Sanchez with this pick. Regardless of what the Browns could get for Quinn and/or Anderson. I'm just saying that it isn't beyond the realm of possiblity. Especially since new coaches and GM's often like to build around their own Own QB.

                                        I want this team to use the higher picks to improve their ability to get the QB and help stop the rush as well, if possible.

                                        I worry less and less about the O line. Stienbach is still only 29. I could see him being around another three years.

                                        They will franchise Thomas. I think it's possible they'll draft a Center this year. Like a Shipley in the 4th or even a Cooper later. Next year they can address the OT or guard postion. Actually, the idea of drafting Joe thomas out of Pitt this year intrigues me for the obvious reason...lol!

                                        Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • YtownBrownsBacker Y
                                          • 2k Posts
                                          • 0 Reputation
                                          Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          QB at #5 will never happen...........................sombody is smokin some good shit.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate