Skip to content

Michigan's Contract with Nike

College Football Forum
48 6 2.3k
  • @mld-woody said:

    No shit.

    But it will impact OSUs next apparel deal. They'll probably leapfrog this.

    Sucks for you.

    @the-gipper said:

    Sucks for you.

    ...not really... But ok...

  • @mld-woody said:

    I'm not biting. I'm done.

    Maybe someone will post something about the thread topic and CFB

    OK....the extra money won't help them beat Ohio St.

    @the-gipper said:

    OK....the extra money won't help them beat Ohio St.

    It would help FSU.

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK....the extra money won't help them beat Ohio St.

    It would help FSU.

    @browns149 said:

    It would help FSU.

    How?

  • @browns149 said:

    It would help FSU.

    How?

    @the-gipper said:

    How?

    FREE SHOE U

    gotta pay the guys to play at FSU

  • That's what bagmen are for.

    And whoever got Pryor those sweet rides 😉

  • That's what bagmen are for.

    And whoever got Pryor those sweet rides 😉

    @mld-woody said:

    That's what bagmen are for.

    And whoever got Pryor those sweet rides 😉

    Rich Rod.....it didn't help....Rich Rod wanted Pryor didn't go to WVa....and when RR went to Mich. Pryor wanted none of that so he came to OSU...and still kept the ride RR gave him.

  • RRod kept giving him rides as an OSU student? Weird.

    Pryor would have been amazing in a RRod offense. And Denard as a "Percy Harvin" role, god damn. He'd still be coaching here. His inability to coach D or hire a good DC wouldn't be so bad if they scored 50 a game.

    But then we'd have to deal with Pryor the person. And Denard probably wouldn't have ever come here. So, really, idk if I would make that change. Probably not.

  • RRod kept giving him rides as an OSU student? Weird.

    Pryor would have been amazing in a RRod offense. And Denard as a "Percy Harvin" role, god damn. He'd still be coaching here. His inability to coach D or hire a good DC wouldn't be so bad if they scored 50 a game.

    But then we'd have to deal with Pryor the person. And Denard probably wouldn't have ever come here. So, really, idk if I would make that change. Probably not.

    @mld-woody said:

    RRod kept giving him rides as an OSU student? Weird.

    Gave him a car.

    Pryor would have been amazing in a RRod offense.

    As what? A WR

    And Denard as a "Percy Harvin" role, god damn. He'd still be coaching here. His inability to coach D or hire a good DC wouldn't be so bad if they scored 50 a game.

    You overestimate Dennard's abilities.

    What has he done in the pros?

    But then we'd have to deal with Pryor the person. And Denard probably wouldn't have ever come here. So, really, idk if I would make that change. Probably not.

  • Well clearly RRod needed to give him more cars. OSU outbid us!

    No, as a spread QB. Pat White was amazing in it. Denard was amazing in it. Pryor would have been as well, plus, he'd actually have QB size but keep the speed.

    And yes, I still think Pryor could have been an amazing WR.

    I wasn't even talking about Denards abilities. I was talking about his personality, who he is as a person, how he represented the university, etc.

    In the pros? He spent one season recovering from a nerve injury and learning like 5 positions. Then the Jags realized that was a bad idea and let him focus on one. When Gerhart went down and he got his chance last year,he performed very well. He had a 4 week stretch with almost 400 yards and 4 TDs. On a terrible Jags team.

    It is a reasonable bet to say he'll be more productive in the NFL than Pryor...

  • Well clearly RRod needed to give him more cars. OSU outbid us!

    No, as a spread QB. Pat White was amazing in it. Denard was amazing in it. Pryor would have been as well, plus, he'd actually have QB size but keep the speed.

    And yes, I still think Pryor could have been an amazing WR.

    I wasn't even talking about Denards abilities. I was talking about his personality, who he is as a person, how he represented the university, etc.

    In the pros? He spent one season recovering from a nerve injury and learning like 5 positions. Then the Jags realized that was a bad idea and let him focus on one. When Gerhart went down and he got his chance last year,he performed very well. He had a 4 week stretch with almost 400 yards and 4 TDs. On a terrible Jags team.

    It is a reasonable bet to say he'll be more productive in the NFL than Pryor...

    @mld-woody said:

    Well clearly RRod needed to give him more cars. OSU outbid us!

    No, as a spread QB. Pat White was amazing in it. Denard was amazing in it. Pryor would have been as well, plus, he'd actually have QB size but keep the speed.

    And yes, I still think Pryor could have been an amazing WR.

    May still be

    I wasn't even talking about Denards abilities. I was talking about his personality, who he is as a person, how he represented the university, etc.

    Who cares about that...unless you are his mama or his employer?

    In the pros? He spent one season recovering from a nerve injury and learning like 5 positions. Then the Jags realized that was a bad idea and let him focus on one. When Gerhart went down and he got his chance last year,he performed very well. He had a 4 week stretch with almost 400 yards and 4 TDs. On a terrible Jags team.

    It is a reasonable bet to say he'll be more productive in the NFL than Pryor...

    Maybe so.....Robinson will be asked to do different things. With his squatty body he may be an OK speedster out of the backfield. Essentially he is really just going to do what he did in college....run the ball abd skitter around.(but now he does not have to worry about passing).

    Pryor's transition I believe is far different and difficult to the WR spot.

  • He may still be, but time is not on his side.

    That is my university too. I care. An outsider would have a hard time understanding exactly what Denard did.

    I'm honestly confused, what do you mean by "squatty"?

    It is very similar to what he did in college. The Jags originally tried to teach him a handful of spots, then got smart and focused on HB. He'll add KR this season.

    You're probably right though that QB to WR is more difficult because of the catching. At HB, then running and following blocks is slightly different, but still similar to what a run first QB does.

  • We need to go back to Nike too. Adidas blows.

  • He may still be, but time is not on his side.

    That is my university too. I care. An outsider would have a hard time understanding exactly what Denard did.

    I'm honestly confused, what do you mean by "squatty"?

    It is very similar to what he did in college. The Jags originally tried to teach him a handful of spots, then got smart and focused on HB. He'll add KR this season.

    You're probably right though that QB to WR is more difficult because of the catching. At HB, then running and following blocks is slightly different, but still similar to what a run first QB does.

    @mld-woody said:

    He may still be, but time is not on his side.

    That is my university too. I care. An outsider would have a hard time understanding exactly what Denard did.

    Its not an issue of understanding....it is simply that there are 10,000 other college football players that are "good people" as well. Unless he is a friend or relative of mine....all he is to me is a paid performer (paid can include scholarship)

    I'm honestly confused, what do you mean by "squatty"?

    Short and muscular.

    It is very similar to what he did in college. The Jags originally tried to teach him a handful of spots, then got smart and focused on HB. He'll add KR this season.

    Probably smart

    You're probably right though that QB to WR is more difficult because of the catching. At HB, then running and following blocks is slightly different, but still similar to what a run first QB does.

    Precisely.

  • Like I said, I don't think you could understand without being involved with the school/team.

    Oh, gotcha. He's QB short, but football player average. Maybe slightly above average for a HB, idk.

    Definitely smart. Overloading a rookie with a bunch of new positions is a dumb idea.

  • Like I said, I don't think you could understand without being involved with the school/team.

    Oh, gotcha. He's QB short, but football player average. Maybe slightly above average for a HB, idk.

    Definitely smart. Overloading a rookie with a bunch of new positions is a dumb idea.

    @mld-woody said:

    Like I said, I don't think you could understand without being involved with the school/team.

    I could understand....I just don't care.

    Oh, gotcha. He's QB short, but football player average. Maybe slightly above average for a HB, idk.

    Right...more halfback build.

    Definitely smart. Overloading a rookie with a bunch of new positions is a dumb idea.

    Sure.

  • Woody, sorry if this was already discovered. We debate Adidas vs. Nike on my A&M board all the time. It's important to note that while Nike may give a bigger contract, the payout to the school could still be less than before.

  • Nike apparently gave a smaller offer than Adidas or UA, and it is now still the largest in the country.

    Michigan doesn't really need to chase money. With donors like Stephen Ross, we do just fine

  • Yes no one else has any huge donors. All having a huge donor does is put you on par. You really think Michigan is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's precious.

  • Yes, Ross only donated $200 million. No biggie.

    We also do pretty well with endowments and athletic revenue...

    The point is, we have plenty of money (as do some other schools). We chose Nike for other reasons than money and still got the largest deal ever. The money wasn't the main concern.

    I'm not overstating Michigan here. It is just hard for some SEC fans to look outside of their bubble sometimes.

  • Yes, Ross only donated $200 million. No biggie.

    We also do pretty well with endowments and athletic revenue...

    The point is, we have plenty of money (as do some other schools). We chose Nike for other reasons than money and still got the largest deal ever. The money wasn't the main concern.

    I'm not overstating Michigan here. It is just hard for some SEC fans to look outside of their bubble sometimes.

    @mld-woody said:

    Yes, Ross only donated $200 million. No biggie.

    We also do pretty well with endowments and athletic revenue...

    The point is, we have plenty of money (as do some other schools). We chose Nike for other reasons than money and still got the largest deal ever. The money wasn't the main concern.

    I'm not overstating Michigan here. It is just hard for some SEC fans to look outside of their bubble sometimes.

    The school my daughter goes to got a Billion dollars from the Walton Family....as the daughter attended there. But their sphincter's are tighter than a dried up dead frog's ass. Not only that, instead of dispensing those funds to help educate their students, the Walton's will "lend you money".....that you have to pay back at a probable above market rate of interest I have no doubt.