Skip to content

Unofficial official preseason WR thread...

The Browns Board
105 21 3.6k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Pryor is more like 6'4 or 6'5" not 6-2

    Thanks Gip! Believe it or not, I had 6'4" written on my post it note for him so who knows why I typed 6'2". It'll be fun to see what happens with him. Perfect size and I think he's clock better 40 times than Gordon.

    @flugel said:

    Believe it or not, I had 6'4" written on my post it note for him so who knows why I typed 6'2".

    Post Its??? 😉

  • One thing I did not see considered to this point is that we are a running team.

    Last year that meant that we featured a single-back/two-TE set with only 2 WRs on the field. I don't see that changing unless one of our FB candidates shines bringing in more 2B1TE sets... again with 2 WRs. I see our starting two being Bowe and Gabe. Everything else is situational.

    As for the number of WRs making the 53-man roster... 7 seems high to me. Last year five was it, but Josh was always looming. So six this year is plausible, if the talent warrants it and the PS is not an option for a promising WR.

    @tour2ma said:

    One thing I did not see considered to this point is that we are a running team.

    Last year that meant that we featured a single-back/two-TE set with only 2 WRs on the field. I don't see that changing unless one of our FB candidates shines bringing in more 2B1TE sets... again with 2 WRs. I see our starting two being Bowe and Gabe. Everything else is situational.

    As for the number of WRs making the 53-man roster... 7 seems high to me. Last year five was it, but Josh was always looming. So six this year is plausible, if the talent warrants it and the PS is not an option for a promising WR.

    Excellent point about the running team. That said, we at least want to pose a threat of being able to score via the pass in the red zone (or our strength gets easier to defend in the absence of balance). When a part timer (Benjamin) leads our WR Corps with 3 TD receptions - this had to be addressed in the off season. I thought Farmer & Pettine did a nice job of trying to improve our red zone pass offense. We'll see how it turns out; but it's easier to be confident when I've witnessed an effort.

    I agree with you about 7 seeming high to keep at WR. I think we'll keep 6 (with 1 of them being able to be a return guy on STs (Benjamin) or a WildDawg type of QB for STs (Pryor).

  • See a recent post of mine about where certain failed NFL QBs, like Pryor and Tebow, may now have value as 2 pt PAT specialists. While they are not good full time QBs, they may be valuable assets from 2 yards out for the running/short passing capability. Kind of a WildDawg thing...

  • See a recent post of mine about where certain failed NFL QBs, like Pryor and Tebow, may now have value as 2 pt PAT specialists. While they are not good full time QBs, they may be valuable assets from 2 yards out for the running/short passing capability. Kind of a WildDawg thing...

    @the-gipper said:

    See a recent post of mine about where certain failed NFL QBs, like Pryor and Tebow, may now have value as 2 pt PAT specialists. While they are not good full time QBs, they may be valuable assets from 2 yards out for the running/short passing capability. Kind of a WildDawg thing...

    That was a good post Gip - I read it. It's also been covered a number of times on the NFL Channel. I'm sure many others have thought of this too even if they didn't post about it. Cribbs was used this way in a wild cat aside from being a part time WR and a STs stud. That was pretty much his college playbook when he played QB so he was well trained just like Tebow and Pryor are today. Getting Cribbs back in his old college comfort zone was a big reason we were able to beat Pitt in 2009.

    As it pertains to making potentially the 6th WR position spot on this team this year - I see Benjamin competing with Pryor to make that spot. Whoever can do more things well prolly gets the nod. This should be fun to watch.

  • Im not seeing us carry anyone "just" as a situational or st player.....too much depth and need at too many positions just to keep a guy for a coupla/few plays per game....maks me wanna start a thread on position counts, I think....

  • Im not seeing us carry anyone "just" as a situational or st player.....too much depth and need at too many positions just to keep a guy for a coupla/few plays per game....maks me wanna start a thread on position counts, I think....

    @mudfly said:

    Im not seeing us carry anyone "just" as a situational or st player.....too much depth and need at too many positions just to keep a guy for a coupla/few plays per game....maks me wanna start a thread on position counts, I think....

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

  • @mudfly said:

    Im not seeing us carry anyone "just" as a situational or st player.....too much depth and need at too many positions just to keep a guy for a coupla/few plays per game....maks me wanna start a thread on position counts, I think....

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

    @the-gipper said:

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Benjamin is a very mediocre, undersized but speedy receiver who doubles as a kick returner and was useful to us in the red zone and third down situations.

    Pryor is a raw, (at best) mediocre receiver who is tall, athletic and fast.

    Benjamin's value is that he can return kicks plus has experience as a slot receiver.

    Pryor's value is that he can (conceivably) stretch the field as well as contest jump balls, plus has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Unfortunately, our roster is abound with small, speedy players who can return kicks. Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    Assuming they are of equal importance/skill at WR, Pryor's value is a little more than Benji's in that Benji's non-WR duties are easily replaced while Pryor's might not be.

  • a lot of ifs with pryor. don't remembering him catching any passes as a receiver in the nfl.

    benji on the other hand...........

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Benjamin is a very mediocre, undersized but speedy receiver who doubles as a kick returner and was useful to us in the red zone and third down situations.

    Pryor is a raw, (at best) mediocre receiver who is tall, athletic and fast.

    Benjamin's value is that he can return kicks plus has experience as a slot receiver.

    Pryor's value is that he can (conceivably) stretch the field as well as contest jump balls, plus has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Unfortunately, our roster is abound with small, speedy players who can return kicks. Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    Assuming they are of equal importance/skill at WR, Pryor's value is a little more than Benji's in that Benji's non-WR duties are easily replaced while Pryor's might not be.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Benjamin is a very mediocre, undersized but speedy receiver who doubles as a kick returner and was useful to us in the red zone and third down situations.

    Pryor is a raw, (at best) mediocre receiver who is tall, athletic and fast.

    Benjamin's value is that he can return kicks plus has experience as a slot receiver.

    Pryor's value is that he can (conceivably) stretch the field as well as contest jump balls, plus has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Unfortunately, our roster is abound with small, speedy players who can return kicks. Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    Assuming they are of equal importance/skill at WR, Pryor's value is a little more than Benji's in that Benji's non-WR duties are easily replaced while Pryor's might not be.

    If we have so many small speedy players who can return kicks....then why did we use none of them last year.

    A few minor irritances from last year's team:

    A. No one who could/would be put in their to return kicks worth a damn.

    B. No throwing hardly to backs out of the backfield.

    C. No real decent red zone pass target.

    Hopefully we have these flaws corrected this year.

  • a lot of ifs with pryor. don't remembering him catching any passes as a receiver in the nfl.

    benji on the other hand...........

    @miktoxic said:

    a lot of ifs with pryor. don't remembering him catching any passes as a receiver in the nfl.

    benji on the other hand...........

    I know it's hard to go against his 41 career catches for 700 yards, but I like to be an optimist.

  • Also, Pryor has one NFL reception for 22 yards.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Benjamin is a very mediocre, undersized but speedy receiver who doubles as a kick returner and was useful to us in the red zone and third down situations.

    Pryor is a raw, (at best) mediocre receiver who is tall, athletic and fast.

    Benjamin's value is that he can return kicks plus has experience as a slot receiver.

    Pryor's value is that he can (conceivably) stretch the field as well as contest jump balls, plus has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Unfortunately, our roster is abound with small, speedy players who can return kicks. Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    Assuming they are of equal importance/skill at WR, Pryor's value is a little more than Benji's in that Benji's non-WR duties are easily replaced while Pryor's might not be.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    @miktoxic said:

    a lot of ifs with pryor. don't remembering him catching any passes as a receiver in the nfl.

    Gotta say yer both right.....the big "if" is whether Pryor can run a route and then catch the ball.....nobody knows, but we will soon find out....

    But, if he CAN run and catch, than his upside is 10 X's what Benji brings....plain and simple....

    A long shot?....perhaps.....but a very exciting prospect, none the less....

  • Camp opens THIS THURSDAY!! Till then Nobody Can Catch Nutin. But damn we sound good!!

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Benjamin is a very mediocre, undersized but speedy receiver who doubles as a kick returner and was useful to us in the red zone and third down situations.

    Pryor is a raw, (at best) mediocre receiver who is tall, athletic and fast.

    Benjamin's value is that he can return kicks plus has experience as a slot receiver.

    Pryor's value is that he can (conceivably) stretch the field as well as contest jump balls, plus has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Unfortunately, our roster is abound with small, speedy players who can return kicks. Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    Assuming they are of equal importance/skill at WR, Pryor's value is a little more than Benji's in that Benji's non-WR duties are easily replaced while Pryor's might not be.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Pryor's value is that he ... has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    gotta say....Im now hearing a few rumbles(very quiet rumbles tho) from the Browns about Pryor having 3rd QB tools....

    they are quick to say "he's only here as a wr".....but, NOW, they are starting to add that he can QB in a pinch.....

  • I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

  • I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    @tour2ma said:

    I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    absolutely.....

    and now.....Ive heard it from Pettine too.....😉

  • I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    @tour2ma said:

    I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    Holy crapoly!!!....listening to Grossi right now and his "bold prediction" for the day is that..... 1) Pryor makes the team(apparently really looked good today)....and 2) Pryor starts a game at QB for the Browns, before Johnny does(apparently really stunk it up today)....

    WOW!.....That prediction is outta left field...... 😮

  • If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

  • If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

    @mudfly said:

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

    It's hard to siphon through homer bullshit and actually determine when people have legitimate opinions, I'll grant you.

    For instance:

    I think Pryor is set up to succeed as a WR if he continues to put in the effort he has so far. I believe he is a perfect weapon for our offense, as he can double as an emergency QB. If he makes a splash on special teams and exhibits concentration and solid route running, Pryor will crack our 53. That's a legitimate opinion.

    I think Tim Tebow will throw for 7,000 yards this season. That's my homer bullshit.