Skip to content

Unofficial official preseason WR thread...

The Browns Board
105 21 3.6k
  • a lot of ifs with pryor. don't remembering him catching any passes as a receiver in the nfl.

    benji on the other hand...........

    @miktoxic said:

    a lot of ifs with pryor. don't remembering him catching any passes as a receiver in the nfl.

    benji on the other hand...........

    I know it's hard to go against his 41 career catches for 700 yards, but I like to be an optimist.

  • Also, Pryor has one NFL reception for 22 yards.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Benjamin is a very mediocre, undersized but speedy receiver who doubles as a kick returner and was useful to us in the red zone and third down situations.

    Pryor is a raw, (at best) mediocre receiver who is tall, athletic and fast.

    Benjamin's value is that he can return kicks plus has experience as a slot receiver.

    Pryor's value is that he can (conceivably) stretch the field as well as contest jump balls, plus has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Unfortunately, our roster is abound with small, speedy players who can return kicks. Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    Assuming they are of equal importance/skill at WR, Pryor's value is a little more than Benji's in that Benji's non-WR duties are easily replaced while Pryor's might not be.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    @miktoxic said:

    a lot of ifs with pryor. don't remembering him catching any passes as a receiver in the nfl.

    Gotta say yer both right.....the big "if" is whether Pryor can run a route and then catch the ball.....nobody knows, but we will soon find out....

    But, if he CAN run and catch, than his upside is 10 X's what Benji brings....plain and simple....

    A long shot?....perhaps.....but a very exciting prospect, none the less....

  • Camp opens THIS THURSDAY!! Till then Nobody Can Catch Nutin. But damn we sound good!!

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am pointing out that Pryor could have some value if he were used in that "situation". Perhaps more than a Tebow would....because Tebow would probably have use ONLY as that situational player. I mean, what other position can he play? Fullback? Not WR/RB/TE. But he could do that.

    Then it is up to the coach to determine if he wants a player on his roster that does only that. The Browns coach....not likely. Chip Kelly? Probably.

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Benjamin is a very mediocre, undersized but speedy receiver who doubles as a kick returner and was useful to us in the red zone and third down situations.

    Pryor is a raw, (at best) mediocre receiver who is tall, athletic and fast.

    Benjamin's value is that he can return kicks plus has experience as a slot receiver.

    Pryor's value is that he can (conceivably) stretch the field as well as contest jump balls, plus has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Unfortunately, our roster is abound with small, speedy players who can return kicks. Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    Assuming they are of equal importance/skill at WR, Pryor's value is a little more than Benji's in that Benji's non-WR duties are easily replaced while Pryor's might not be.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Pryor has more use to use than Benjamin.

    Pryor's value is that he ... has experience as a (poor) NFL QB and he's familiar with Flip's system.

    Our roster does not currently feature anyone who is familiar with Flip's system, is a tall receiver, and can possibly be a two-point conversion/emergency QB player.

    gotta say....Im now hearing a few rumbles(very quiet rumbles tho) from the Browns about Pryor having 3rd QB tools....

    they are quick to say "he's only here as a wr".....but, NOW, they are starting to add that he can QB in a pinch.....

  • I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

  • I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    @tour2ma said:

    I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    absolutely.....

    and now.....Ive heard it from Pettine too.....😉

  • I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    @tour2ma said:

    I believe I was one of those rumbles... 🙂

    Holy crapoly!!!....listening to Grossi right now and his "bold prediction" for the day is that..... 1) Pryor makes the team(apparently really looked good today)....and 2) Pryor starts a game at QB for the Browns, before Johnny does(apparently really stunk it up today)....

    WOW!.....That prediction is outta left field...... 😮

  • If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

  • If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

    @mudfly said:

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

    It's hard to siphon through homer bullshit and actually determine when people have legitimate opinions, I'll grant you.

    For instance:

    I think Pryor is set up to succeed as a WR if he continues to put in the effort he has so far. I believe he is a perfect weapon for our offense, as he can double as an emergency QB. If he makes a splash on special teams and exhibits concentration and solid route running, Pryor will crack our 53. That's a legitimate opinion.

    I think Tim Tebow will throw for 7,000 yards this season. That's my homer bullshit.

  • I admit I see the potential but thought his odds were/are long.....though I will say he has exceeded my expectations with his approach. I honestly thought he'd give a grudging half hearted effort and he has done just the opposite...

    Doing everything right so far....here's his comments from today....

    On his first day of training camp with the Browns:
    “Talking to some of the vets, they said they saw a lot of positives. Obviously, there are some things that I need to work on. I’m far off right now, but I’m learning from guys like (WR)
    Dwayne Boweicon-article-link.gif, guys like (WR) Brian Hartlineicon-article-link.gif and all of the receiving corps. Coach has been a big help, and the quarterbacks, as well. That’s all I can do is every single day plug away and get one percent better at this position and see where it goes.”

    On positive advice from veterans:
    “(QB)
    Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif just came up to me and said, ‘Hey man, you look good. Just stay confident. You caught the ball very well. Just use your speed like you’ve been doing and everything’s going well.’ He said to just keep stacking the days. He’s a great leader, and I can relate because I played that position for five years. I just thought it was positive to get some feedback. When we get in the film room, I’ll learn even more.”

    On if he has to take his former QB experience out of his persona to become a successful WR, and if he partially still wants to play QB:
    “As of right now, it’s what coach Pett (Head Coach Mike Pettine) wants and Mr. (General Manager Ray) Farmer brought me in for. Coach Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo), they believe I can be an outstanding receiver if I put the time in and work hard and if I believe in myself. All I want to do whatever I can to help the Browns. I’m happy to be back in Ohio and close to Columbus. That’s it.”

    On working out with successful WRs this past offseason:
    “For me, learning from Randy (former NFL WR Randy Moss), he’s one of the best to ever do it. (Steelers WR) Antonio Brown, he is busting records right now in the NFL, and he’s one of my very good friends. I happen to be good friends with Randy, and (WR) Josh (Gordon), as well, he’s a phenomenal power. Having those guys and even seeing (Buccaneers WR) Mike Evans, with their size, besides Antonio, to see how they’re getting out of their cuts, they can help me because I can kind of see it. I learn on the field and I watch visually on the field. When those are big guys 6-5, 6-4 like myself and I see them doing that, it helps out a lot, especially from All-Pros and a Hall of Fame guy. It helps out a lot.”

    On facing the challenge of transitioning to WR:
    “I wake up every day blessed. I say my prayers to God and I think about my son. At the end of the day, I know if I have those two beliefs and love, I can do anything I want. It’s just going to be the extra work and the effort and really pushing forward. I think we can all attain our goals, but it’s the effort and how we go about that task. I’m very happy to be here because these guys in the locker room are phenomenal. I think it’s great chemistry, and I love being here.”

    On his decision to transition to WR from QB:
    “Things happen, you know? Whether it’s in life, there’s politics in life, there are different things that go on. Everywhere I’ve been after the Raiders, there’s been a guy that’s drafted, paid a lot of money and then they drafted a second guy. When it gets into that, you don’t really get a lot of reps. I believe to play quarterback in this league and be very successful, you have to have a lot of reps, you have to. There’s not a lot that really separates guys but reps, that experience. When I realized I’m not going to get the reps that the one is getting – it’s impossible for me to do – so why not just use my ability that God gave me. That’s kind of how I did it. Mr. Farmer and Coach Flip, when I came and talked to them, they were excited and said there’s different ways they can use me. We’ll see how it goes.”

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

    @mudfly said:

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

    Josh Cribbs Part Deux? Why not?

  • yep...Pryor had another very good day....hasn't dropped a pass yet......running with the 2's....def kind of the talk of camp so far

    He finally did go against Joe Haden and pretty much got schooled.....didnt get open.....0-0...

  • If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    Credit to you... you were there early. I was not there until the roster thread prompted a look at the benefits of a WR/QB.

    Now here's a question: Can learning the passing game from the perspective of a WR make a QB better?

  • yep...Pryor had another very good day....hasn't dropped a pass yet......running with the 2's....def kind of the talk of camp so far

    He finally did go against Joe Haden and pretty much got schooled.....didnt get open.....0-0...

    @mudfly said:

    yep...Pryor had another very good day....hasn't dropped a pass yet......running with the 2's....def kind of the talk of camp so far

    He finally did go against Joe Haden and pretty much got schooled.....didnt get open.....0-0...

    Not surprising that Joe was able to blanket a tall, lanky, long-striding newb... look what he's done to tall, lanky, long-striding, vet #1's.

  • Can you imagine what this team would be like with Terrelle Pryor, Josh Gordon, Charles Johnson and Taylor Gabriel out there?

    By the way...in case you haven't heard, Charles Johnson is poised to tear it up this year. Reports out of Minnesota are that he's destroying it and is a solid contender for the #1 spot.

    Just going to leave this here: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30091&hl=%22charles+johnson%22

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If only there were a few mildly intelligent fellas around here who have been saying this from the beginning.

    Credit to you... you were there early. I was not there until the roster thread prompted a look at the benefits of a WR/QB.

    Now here's a question: Can learning the passing game from the perspective of a WR make a QB better?

    @tour2ma said:

    Credit to you... you were there early. I was not there until the roster thread prompted a look at the benefits of a WR/QB.

    Now here's a question: Can learning the passing game from the perspective of a WR make a QB better?

    I don't know that receiver experience makes you a better QB (it probably does), but I think having QB experience does make you a better receiver. See: Tannehill, Ryan in 2009 and early 2010. He knew exactly where the QB would be looking and where he was comfortable throwing to. As far as navigating the field and the defense, he was top-notch the first second he lined up outside. The route running, catching, etc. had to be learned.

  • @mudfly said:

    Ha!....Ill give you that one for sure......sounds like he turned a lot of heads for day 1.....

    and he worked with the special teams coverage unit and was first man down several times....kinda surprised there...but sounds like he's got his head right and showing zero diva-ness....

    It's hard to siphon through homer bullshit and actually determine when people have legitimate opinions, I'll grant you.

    For instance:

    I think Pryor is set up to succeed as a WR if he continues to put in the effort he has so far. I believe he is a perfect weapon for our offense, as he can double as an emergency QB. If he makes a splash on special teams and exhibits concentration and solid route running, Pryor will crack our 53. That's a legitimate opinion.

    I think Tim Tebow will throw for 7,000 yards this season. That's my homer bullshit.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's hard to siphon through homer bullshit and actually determine when people have legitimate opinions, I'll grant you.

    For instance:

    I think Pryor is set up to succeed as a WR if he continues to put in the effort he has so far. I believe he is a perfect weapon for our offense, as he can double as an emergency QB. If he makes a splash on special teams and exhibits concentration and solid route running, Pryor will crack our 53. That's a legitimate opinion.

    I think Tim Tebow will throw for 7,000 yards this season. That's my homer bullshit.

    TCPO, I thought you had some really interesting posts about our WR Corps, adding size to our red zone and what Pryor could potentially add to the position overall. I bet he can still run close to a 4.37 he was rumored to run once upon a time especially if he's training to play WR so that doesn't suck working in tandem with 6'4" (or as Gipper would say don't rule out 6'5"). I swim against the current about Travis Benjamin a little because I saw massive improvement in his receiving skills in the form of 17.4 ypc and where that ranks in the league as well as leading our WR Corps in TD receptions in part time work. All 3 of those were in the red zone, compared to previous years where he had to beat someone over the top with 4.3 speed. Every time we needed a clutch play in 2015 - he didn't remind us of Greg Scissorhands Little. He caught the freakin ball and and our chances to win lived another down (ie; the comeback in TN). My guess is that his psychological healing 2 years post surgery will get him back closer to the elite return guy we saw (pre-injury) in 2013. That might REALLY mean something if our STs coach ever has our return team understanding you can't block guys from behind.

    I don't know who the final spot will go to per say. I used to think it might be between Benjamin and Pryor. However, it could end up being between Hartline and Benjamin. All of the WRs we added this offseason to strengthen our red zone and add size to our perimeter tells me we're keeping more than 5 this time around. Not only that, but wouldn't we have kept 6 last year IF Gordon & Miles could stay healthy/unsuspended at the same time?

    This might be our 6:

    Bowe

    Hawkins

    Gabriel

    Mayle

    Pryor

    Benjamin or Hartline (whoever can apply to more situations is your winner here)

  • I like Benjamin too Flugs, but he sure does seem like a solid candidate to get cut.