Skip to content

Unofficial official preseason WR thread...

The Browns Board
105 21 3.6k
  • No bones about it, some good WRs are getting cut. Regardless, I will make an attempt at final roster. We carried six guys last year (usually only five active) and I can't see us going more than six this year with all the competition everywhere.

    Last year was --

    Austin/Gordon -- Gordon was activated before Austin went to IR technically but basically they were swapped out.

    Hawkins

    Gabriel

    Benji

    Marlon Moore

    Rodney Smith -- picked him up early October

    Marlon Moore was exclusively here for specials, and I definitely don't see him back. Smith is intriguing with his 6'5 size and may be another piece that adds to the who gets cut dilemma.

    My stab in order of least chance of getting cut to best chance --

    Gabby

    Hartline

    Hawk

    Bowe

    Pryor

    Benjamin

    Mayle -- to ps. If he gets picked up he gets picked up. Was pissed when we left CJ exposed for Marlon Moore but a fourth rounder that gets plucked isn't the end of the world

    Smith

    Cone -- to ps if he is eligible. Not sure about that

    Lenz

    Wynn

    Moore

    Jennings

  • No bones about it, some good WRs are getting cut. Regardless, I will make an attempt at final roster. We carried six guys last year (usually only five active) and I can't see us going more than six this year with all the competition everywhere.

    Last year was --

    Austin/Gordon -- Gordon was activated before Austin went to IR technically but basically they were swapped out.

    Hawkins

    Gabriel

    Benji

    Marlon Moore

    Rodney Smith -- picked him up early October

    Marlon Moore was exclusively here for specials, and I definitely don't see him back. Smith is intriguing with his 6'5 size and may be another piece that adds to the who gets cut dilemma.

    My stab in order of least chance of getting cut to best chance --

    Gabby

    Hartline

    Hawk

    Bowe

    Pryor

    Benjamin

    Mayle -- to ps. If he gets picked up he gets picked up. Was pissed when we left CJ exposed for Marlon Moore but a fourth rounder that gets plucked isn't the end of the world

    Smith

    Cone -- to ps if he is eligible. Not sure about that

    Lenz

    Wynn

    Moore

    Jennings

    @riffer-x said:

    No bones about it, some good WRs are getting cut. Regardless, I will make an attempt at final roster. We carried six guys last year (usually only five active) and I can't see us going more than six this year with all the competition everywhere.

    Last year was --

    Austin/Gordon -- Gordon was activated before Austin went to IR technically but basically they were swapped out.

    Hawkins

    Gabriel

    Benji

    Marlon Moore

    Rodney Smith -- picked him up early October

    Marlon Moore was exclusively here for specials, and I definitely don't see him back. Smith is intriguing with his 6'5 size and may be another piece that adds to the who gets cut dilemma.

    My stab in order of least chance of getting cut to best chance --

    Gabby

    Hartline

    Hawk

    Bowe

    Pryor

    Benjamin

    Mayle -- to ps. If he gets picked up he gets picked up. Was pissed when we left CJ exposed for Marlon Moore but a fourth rounder that gets plucked isn't the end of the world

    Smith

    Cone -- to ps if he is eligible. Not sure about that

    Lenz

    Wynn

    Moore

    Jennings

    Unless that fourth rounder is essentially Josh Gordon but without the weed habit.

    I loved CJ. He will be special.

  • I could also see Mayle just not being able to get over that pesky thumb thingy and being redshirted for the year wink/wink.

  • I could also see Mayle just not being able to get over that pesky thumb thingy and being redshirted for the year wink/wink.

    @riffer-x said:

    I could also see Mayle just not being able to get over that pesky thumb thingy and being redshirted for the year wink/wink.

    Interesting.

    Mike

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I have a hard time believing that Pryor, Mayle or Benji will start over a known commodity like Hartline.

    Of that list, Pryor and Mayle have a shot. Certainly not at the early going of a season.

    I would like to point out one thing no discussed about Pryor yet, is his QB experience being an overwhelming benefit to playing receiver.

    As a QB turned WR he'll already have a great understand about route concepts, timing, reading coverage and being on the same page as McCown.

    The little mental nuances of the position that can take time for other plays to develop, Terrelle should have a strong grasp on them already.

    Good post Tia especially your comment about Pryor. I think Tour mentioned it too.

    Just to piggyback here - Pryor has a head start if we're using some WR routes from Oakland's playbook considering that's where our OC is also coming from. I think his hoops background can also benefit him in tight spaces and red zones because to score points in basketball you gotta get open or post up. The 6'4"/6'5" frame also helps.

    There's a lot of former QBs that turned into very good NFL WRs such as: Julian Edelman, Bert Emanuel, Hines Ward, Kordell Stewart (why he wanted to play QB instead is beyond me but I appreciated it). If Matt Jones could have stayed away from the nose candy - he looked like he could have been a good WR. Josh Cribbs wasn't as bad as some of his critics made him out to be at WR.

    The only guy I can think of that really never became the type of WR his fitness projected was Mizzou's Brad Smith who played for the Bills and Jets. I'm sure there's more though.

    It'll be fun to watch the WR position play out the way it should. I'm having some fun with the discussion but I won't have any problems with whatever direction the staff goes in here.

    Kinda surprised they did not NFI Mayle.

    @flugel said:

    Good post Tia especially your comment about Pryor. I think Tour mentioned it too.

    Yes, but I was more from the angle of whether the WR work could improve Pryor's QB play. This because I thought the roster economy of a WR being the 3rd-sring QB was critical to his making the 53-man.

    I know it's early yet, but I am actually beginning to wonder if Pryor's value/ promise as a WR might be great enough that you would not want to risk him playing QB... at least not the running, read-option type of QB most of us would picture him being.

    It would be ironic if Pryor's WR transition success saved the job of a non-starting QB. It would also be worth the roster spot the scenario would cost.

  • Cone was cut today.

  • Too bad, I liked Cone - but it's a crowded wr group.

  • Couple of interesting Pryor notes from today...

    1) He was injured....though it appears minor.....walked off under his own power....

    2) He threw a touch down on an option pass....yep.....Tee Dee Passsssssssssssss......

  • I have a hard time believing that Pryor, Mayle or Benji will start over a known commodity like Hartline.

    Of that list, Pryor and Mayle have a shot. Certainly not at the early going of a season.

    I would like to point out one thing no discussed about Pryor yet, is his QB experience being an overwhelming benefit to playing receiver.

    As a QB turned WR he'll already have a great understand about route concepts, timing, reading coverage and being on the same page as McCown.

    The little mental nuances of the position that can take time for other plays to develop, Terrelle should have a strong grasp on them already.

    @tiamat63 said:

    I have a hard time believing that Pryor, Mayle or Benji will start over a known commodity like Hartline.

    Of that list, Pryor and Mayle have a shot. Certainly not at the early going of a season.

    I would like to point out one thing no discussed about Pryor yet, is his QB experience being an overwhelming benefit to playing receiver.

    As a QB turned WR he'll already have a great understand about route concepts, timing, reading coverage and being on the same page as McCown.

    The little mental nuances of the position that can take time for other plays to develop, Terrelle should have a strong grasp on them already.

    I talked about when Tannehill moved to receiver in 2009. Yes it works really well.

  • Couple of interesting Pryor notes from today...

    1) He was injured....though it appears minor.....walked off under his own power....

    2) He threw a touch down on an option pass....yep.....Tee Dee Passsssssssssssss......

    @mudfly said:

    Couple of interesting Pryor notes from today...

    1) He was injured....though it appears minor.....walked off under his own power....

    2) He threw a touch down on an option pass....yep.....Tee Dee Passsssssssssssss......

    they showed that option pass on SC live during their 'brief' browns camp report. it was pretty sweet (albeit no opposing defense. browns d played off the receivers and off players as if they had the chronic bubonic).

  • Hope that's not the path to an improved Run D...

  • sounds like Shelton is starting to pop a bit.....had a few nice run stops yesterday, including a thorough creaming of Draughn...

    thinking, if he plays well the rest of the week and in the scrimmage, he will be seeing some #1 reps next week.....

  • Report that Danny laughs when he makes OL twitch into a false start made me smile...

    Also that he's bought lava-lavas for the D and Robertson's been wearing his.

    May just introduce the right amount of "loose" into the D to make it fun...

  • You can clearly see he is a happy - go lucky guy.....and having a blast at camp....always smiling(Joe Haden - part 2).....

    Which also shows he's confident...feeling good about his play....not presssing.....etc.....

  • Report that Danny laughs when he makes OL twitch into a false start made me smile...
    Also that he's bought lava-lavas for the D and Robertson's been wearing his.



    May just introduce the right amount of "loose" into the D to make it fun... Tour

    *********************************************************************************

    Ya gotta love Danny Shelton. The man rocks, and he's fun at doing it.

    Didn't know he bought those for the defense. The Browns are developing

    into a TEAM. I need a Haden, Thomas, Shelton jersey.... all in one....

  • Agree... signs of chemistry surfacing here and there...

    I think Orchard mentioned the lava-lavas in his recent interview when he was asked what he thought about Danny.

    Orchard's answer started with "He's crazy"... he amplified so all would know that he meant "in a good way."

  • what's a lava lava? a drink?

  • Hartline being tabbed as the playmaker in practice. Some of you had him as a potential cut risk. Lima, Oscar, Lima.

  • Posted this in another thread but thought I would put it here also. Hartline is a player....

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079254/article/brian-hartline-more-than-a-deceptively-fast-dolphin