Skip to content

Unofficial official preseason WR thread...

The Browns Board
105 21 3.6k
  • @tiamat63 said:

    I have a hard time believing that Pryor, Mayle or Benji will start over a known commodity like Hartline.

    Of that list, Pryor and Mayle have a shot. Certainly not at the early going of a season.

    I would like to point out one thing no discussed about Pryor yet, is his QB experience being an overwhelming benefit to playing receiver.

    As a QB turned WR he'll already have a great understand about route concepts, timing, reading coverage and being on the same page as McCown.

    The little mental nuances of the position that can take time for other plays to develop, Terrelle should have a strong grasp on them already.

    Good post Tia especially your comment about Pryor. I think Tour mentioned it too.

    Just to piggyback here - Pryor has a head start if we're using some WR routes from Oakland's playbook considering that's where our OC is also coming from. I think his hoops background can also benefit him in tight spaces and red zones because to score points in basketball you gotta get open or post up. The 6'4"/6'5" frame also helps.

    There's a lot of former QBs that turned into very good NFL WRs such as: Julian Edelman, Bert Emanuel, Hines Ward, Kordell Stewart (why he wanted to play QB instead is beyond me but I appreciated it). If Matt Jones could have stayed away from the nose candy - he looked like he could have been a good WR. Josh Cribbs wasn't as bad as some of his critics made him out to be at WR.

    The only guy I can think of that really never became the type of WR his fitness projected was Mizzou's Brad Smith who played for the Bills and Jets. I'm sure there's more though.

    It'll be fun to watch the WR position play out the way it should. I'm having some fun with the discussion but I won't have any problems with whatever direction the staff goes in here.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #80

    Kinda surprised they did not NFI Mayle.

    @flugel said:

    Good post Tia especially your comment about Pryor. I think Tour mentioned it too.

    Yes, but I was more from the angle of whether the WR work could improve Pryor's QB play. This because I thought the roster economy of a WR being the 3rd-sring QB was critical to his making the 53-man.

    I know it's early yet, but I am actually beginning to wonder if Pryor's value/ promise as a WR might be great enough that you would not want to risk him playing QB... at least not the running, read-option type of QB most of us would picture him being.

    It would be ironic if Pryor's WR transition success saved the job of a non-starting QB. It would also be worth the roster spot the scenario would cost.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #81

    Cone was cut today.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #82

    Too bad, I liked Cone - but it's a crowded wr group.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #83

    Couple of interesting Pryor notes from today...

    1) He was injured....though it appears minor.....walked off under his own power....

    2) He threw a touch down on an option pass....yep.....Tee Dee Passsssssssssssss......

  • I have a hard time believing that Pryor, Mayle or Benji will start over a known commodity like Hartline.

    Of that list, Pryor and Mayle have a shot. Certainly not at the early going of a season.

    I would like to point out one thing no discussed about Pryor yet, is his QB experience being an overwhelming benefit to playing receiver.

    As a QB turned WR he'll already have a great understand about route concepts, timing, reading coverage and being on the same page as McCown.

    The little mental nuances of the position that can take time for other plays to develop, Terrelle should have a strong grasp on them already.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @tiamat63 said:

    I have a hard time believing that Pryor, Mayle or Benji will start over a known commodity like Hartline.

    Of that list, Pryor and Mayle have a shot. Certainly not at the early going of a season.

    I would like to point out one thing no discussed about Pryor yet, is his QB experience being an overwhelming benefit to playing receiver.

    As a QB turned WR he'll already have a great understand about route concepts, timing, reading coverage and being on the same page as McCown.

    The little mental nuances of the position that can take time for other plays to develop, Terrelle should have a strong grasp on them already.

    I talked about when Tannehill moved to receiver in 2009. Yes it works really well.

  • Couple of interesting Pryor notes from today...

    1) He was injured....though it appears minor.....walked off under his own power....

    2) He threw a touch down on an option pass....yep.....Tee Dee Passsssssssssssss......

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @mudfly said:

    Couple of interesting Pryor notes from today...

    1) He was injured....though it appears minor.....walked off under his own power....

    2) He threw a touch down on an option pass....yep.....Tee Dee Passsssssssssssss......

    they showed that option pass on SC live during their 'brief' browns camp report. it was pretty sweet (albeit no opposing defense. browns d played off the receivers and off players as if they had the chronic bubonic).

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #86

    Hope that's not the path to an improved Run D...

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #87

    sounds like Shelton is starting to pop a bit.....had a few nice run stops yesterday, including a thorough creaming of Draughn...

    thinking, if he plays well the rest of the week and in the scrimmage, he will be seeing some #1 reps next week.....

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #88

    Report that Danny laughs when he makes OL twitch into a false start made me smile...

    Also that he's bought lava-lavas for the D and Robertson's been wearing his.

    May just introduce the right amount of "loose" into the D to make it fun...

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #89

    You can clearly see he is a happy - go lucky guy.....and having a blast at camp....always smiling(Joe Haden - part 2).....

    Which also shows he's confident...feeling good about his play....not presssing.....etc.....

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #90

    Report that Danny laughs when he makes OL twitch into a false start made me smile...
    Also that he's bought lava-lavas for the D and Robertson's been wearing his.



    May just introduce the right amount of "loose" into the D to make it fun... Tour

    *********************************************************************************

    Ya gotta love Danny Shelton. The man rocks, and he's fun at doing it.

    Didn't know he bought those for the defense. The Browns are developing

    into a TEAM. I need a Haden, Thomas, Shelton jersey.... all in one....

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #91

    Agree... signs of chemistry surfacing here and there...

    I think Orchard mentioned the lava-lavas in his recent interview when he was asked what he thought about Danny.

    Orchard's answer started with "He's crazy"... he amplified so all would know that he meant "in a good way."

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #92

    what's a lava lava? a drink?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #93
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #94

    Hartline being tabbed as the playmaker in practice. Some of you had him as a potential cut risk. Lima, Oscar, Lima.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #95

    Posted this in another thread but thought I would put it here also. Hartline is a player....

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000079254/article/brian-hartline-more-than-a-deceptively-fast-dolphin

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #96

    Tia, if your headed to Columbus Friday, Bring your Football Gear. Were looking for a few good men to even get to Friday.

  • Tia, if your headed to Columbus Friday, Bring your Football Gear. Were looking for a few good men to even get to Friday.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #97

    @gumby73 said:

    Tia, if your headed to Columbus Friday, Bring your Football Gear. Were looking for a few good men to even get to Friday.

    Wish I could bud. I have a charity 4 man scramble early Saturday morning on top of working late on Friday.

    Now that I think of it, I could just take off work and try my hand at a little RB one more time. Would it be worth getting good my ass kicked by Dansby? Yep

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #98

    So we only carried 4 last year right? 5 when Gordon came back? (By the way who got cut to make that room? Tate?)

    Gabriel, Hawkins, Benjamin, and Austin last year right? Now we've got

    Gabriel

    Hawkins

    Bowe

    Those three are the locks right? Tia obviously thinks Hartline is a lock too. So two of

    Pryor

    Mayle

    Benjamin

    are getting the shaft, unless we can carry an extra. I haven't seen anyone suggest Mayle may be cut. Is that a possibility? Obviously he would probably make it to the PS.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #99

    Tia, just don't hurt anyone. imo Mayle no worst than a hide on injury list or PS. Every media out there is so concerned about our WR position the last couple years, but this year it maybe the hardest position to cut down on. Now the word is we hide Pryor on the TE list or play TE?? ( he can't be a great blocker too can he Bo Jackson)