Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Slavery?

Slavery?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
16 Posts 7 Posters 479 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #1

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

    So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

    That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

    Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    S C 2 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
      • 28k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Cleve is just some fatass tranny who beats off to Stuart.

      "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
      StinkHoleS 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

        Cleve is just some fatass tranny who beats off to Stuart.

        StinkHole StinkHoleS One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 3k Posts
        • 365 Reputation
        StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @diehardbrownsfan said:

        Cleve is just some fatass tranny who beats off to Stuart.

        HAha! I actually did LOL!

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • W Westside Steve

          https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

          So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

          That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

          Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

          WSS

          sadbrownsfan S
          • 1k Posts
          • 41 Reputation
          S sadbrownsfan wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @westside-steve said:

          https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

          So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

          That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

          Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

          WSS

          It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves" though the term as definitely changed from the civil war era. Many women would have been considered "slaves" by the modern definition till the late 1800's early 1900's.

          Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but was not about to risk losing the South, granted the South gave him no chance to decide on the matter since they started to secede before he was sworn into office. Had the South won or never seceded, slavery would have probably started to fade out but would have been around for at least a few generations.

          StinkHoleS W 2 Replies Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • StinkHole StinkHoleS One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 3k Posts
            • 365 Reputation
            StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
            #5

            The story is a bit eye opening, but the map isn't. Not surprising the greatest concentration of slaves still remains in Africa.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • S sadbrownsfan

              @westside-steve said:

              https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

              So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

              That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

              Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

              WSS

              It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves" though the term as definitely changed from the civil war era. Many women would have been considered "slaves" by the modern definition till the late 1800's early 1900's.

              Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but was not about to risk losing the South, granted the South gave him no chance to decide on the matter since they started to secede before he was sworn into office. Had the South won or never seceded, slavery would have probably started to fade out but would have been around for at least a few generations.

              StinkHole StinkHoleS One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 3k Posts
              • 365 Reputation
              StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @sadbrownsfan said:

              It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves"

              I wonder if football players are considered part of the 60,000 slaves in the U.S.

              Adrian Peterson once said the NFL owners were slave owners.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • S sadbrownsfan

                @westside-steve said:

                https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

                So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

                That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

                Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

                WSS

                It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves" though the term as definitely changed from the civil war era. Many women would have been considered "slaves" by the modern definition till the late 1800's early 1900's.

                Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but was not about to risk losing the South, granted the South gave him no chance to decide on the matter since they started to secede before he was sworn into office. Had the South won or never seceded, slavery would have probably started to fade out but would have been around for at least a few generations.

                Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                • 39k Posts
                • 9k Reputation
                W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @sadbrownsfan said:

                It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves" though the term as definitely changed from the civil war era. Many women would have been considered "slaves" by the modern definition till the late 1800's early 1900's.

                Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but was not about to risk losing the South, granted the South gave him no chance to decide on the matter since they started to secede before he was sworn into office. Had the South won or never seceded, slavery would have probably started to fade out but would have been around for at least a few generations.

                I'd be very surprised had it lasted longer than one generation.

                But who knows? It wasn't even extremely profitable then nor likely to get more profitable.

                And it was becoming increasingly dangerous. I can't imagine the uprisings in the newly formed United southern states wouldn't be pretty horrendous.

                WSS

                www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                S 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • W Westside Steve

                  @sadbrownsfan said:

                  It's amazing at how many people are still considered "slaves" though the term as definitely changed from the civil war era. Many women would have been considered "slaves" by the modern definition till the late 1800's early 1900's.

                  Lincoln wanted to end slavery, but was not about to risk losing the South, granted the South gave him no chance to decide on the matter since they started to secede before he was sworn into office. Had the South won or never seceded, slavery would have probably started to fade out but would have been around for at least a few generations.

                  I'd be very surprised had it lasted longer than one generation.

                  But who knows? It wasn't even extremely profitable then nor likely to get more profitable.

                  And it was becoming increasingly dangerous. I can't imagine the uprisings in the newly formed United southern states wouldn't be pretty horrendous.

                  WSS

                  sadbrownsfan S
                  • 1k Posts
                  • 41 Reputation
                  S sadbrownsfan wrote on last edited by sadbrownsfan
                  #8

                  @westside-steve said:

                  I'd be very surprised had it lasted longer than one generation.

                  But who knows? It wasn't even extremely profitable then nor likely to get more profitable.

                  And it was becoming increasingly dangerous. I can't imagine the uprisings in the newly formed United southern states wouldn't be pretty horrendous.

                  WSS

                  Dunno alternate history is mostly all guess work, the Cotton business had seen a reemergence in the early 1800's from the invention of the cotton gin and the increasing demand of cotton in europe(Britian\France). My guess would be, had the South actually separated, the borders states(Maryland, KY, Missouri) would have given up slavery with in a generation abolishing slavery completely in the North, there would have been a few more John Brown type revolts(funded by northern backers) and that would have either fully led to a different Civil War(North vs South but a few years later) or a restructuring of rules about slavery that would have slowly faded out slavery in time.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 5k Posts
                    • 306 Reputation
                    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Lincoln took issue with slavery so let's put that to rest. IMO the notion of States' rights vs. strong Federal government was the main motivation of the Civil War but slavery was a stain on the nation. We are arguing a point that can't be proven at this point because we can't go back and alter history but as long as there is an economic need for labor slavery will persist, in varying degrees, until society deems it inappropriate. I think we can draw parallels to the issue of illegal immigration. There are employers who know that their labor force is illegal but they choose to turn a blind eye for the cheap labor, capitalism doesn't require morality.

                    T 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • B BaconHound

                      Lincoln took issue with slavery so let's put that to rest. IMO the notion of States' rights vs. strong Federal government was the main motivation of the Civil War but slavery was a stain on the nation. We are arguing a point that can't be proven at this point because we can't go back and alter history but as long as there is an economic need for labor slavery will persist, in varying degrees, until society deems it inappropriate. I think we can draw parallels to the issue of illegal immigration. There are employers who know that their labor force is illegal but they choose to turn a blind eye for the cheap labor, capitalism doesn't require morality.

                      The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                      • 15k Posts
                      • 2k Reputation
                      T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @baconhound said:

                      Lincoln took issue with slavery so let's put that to rest. IMO the notion of States' rights vs. strong Federal government was the main motivation of the Civil War but slavery was a stain on the nation. We are arguing a point that can't be proven at this point because we can't go back and alter history but as long as there is an economic need for labor slavery will persist, in varying degrees, until society deems it inappropriate. I think we can draw parallels to the issue of illegal immigration. There are employers who know that their labor force is illegal but they choose to turn a blind eye for the cheap labor, capitalism doesn't require morality.

                      Slavery was the main issue that started the war. Specifically expansion of slavery into western territories.

                      Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                        • 39k Posts
                        • 9k Reputation
                        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I think we could all google and read Lincoln's own words and remember the politicians will take positions for political reasons. I know we like to pretend Lincoln was some kind of a saint but... Anyway I believe preserving the union was the number one concern.

                        Also, bacon, worldwide sentiment seems to roll along in a parallel motion and I believe the idea that slavery was ok was on its last legs in all but the most horrendous corners of the world.

                        (where it's ironically still going on without any major call to war that I've heard around here)

                        WSS

                        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                        B 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • W Westside Steve

                          I think we could all google and read Lincoln's own words and remember the politicians will take positions for political reasons. I know we like to pretend Lincoln was some kind of a saint but... Anyway I believe preserving the union was the number one concern.

                          Also, bacon, worldwide sentiment seems to roll along in a parallel motion and I believe the idea that slavery was ok was on its last legs in all but the most horrendous corners of the world.

                          (where it's ironically still going on without any major call to war that I've heard around here)

                          WSS

                          BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 5k Posts
                          • 306 Reputation
                          B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @westside-steve said:

                          I think we could all google and read Lincoln's own words and remember the politicians will take positions for political reasons. I know we like to pretend Lincoln was some kind of a saint but... Anyway I believe preserving the union was the number one concern.

                          Also, bacon, worldwide sentiment seems to roll along in a parallel motion and I believe the idea that slavery was ok was on its last legs in all but the most horrendous corners of the world.

                          (where it's ironically still going on without any major call to war that I've heard around here)

                          WSS

                          Steve I tend to agree when we talk in terms of "human ownership" but I also feel that there are labor forces that aren't owned who are exploited to a degree that we could call it "modern slavery" be it child labor, human sex trafficking or bonded labor.

                          W 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • B BaconHound

                            @westside-steve said:

                            I think we could all google and read Lincoln's own words and remember the politicians will take positions for political reasons. I know we like to pretend Lincoln was some kind of a saint but... Anyway I believe preserving the union was the number one concern.

                            Also, bacon, worldwide sentiment seems to roll along in a parallel motion and I believe the idea that slavery was ok was on its last legs in all but the most horrendous corners of the world.

                            (where it's ironically still going on without any major call to war that I've heard around here)

                            WSS

                            Steve I tend to agree when we talk in terms of "human ownership" but I also feel that there are labor forces that aren't owned who are exploited to a degree that we could call it "modern slavery" be it child labor, human sex trafficking or bonded labor.

                            Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                            • 39k Posts
                            • 9k Reputation
                            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                            #13

                            @baconhound said:

                            Steve I tend to agree when we talk in terms of "human ownership" but I also feel that there are labor forces that aren't owned who are exploited to a degree that we could call it "modern slavery" be it child labor, human sex trafficking or bonded labor.

                            No doubt.

                            And of course that line gets blurred a little bit like the poverty line. Poverty in the United States isn't like poverty in Uganda. And below union wages might get classified as slave labor. But you are certainly correct.

                            Still I don't think anyone wants to go to war to put a stop to it.

                            And whether it lasted here in the US for another 10 years or another 20 years it's hard for me to imagine it being worth 620,000 human lives, even if it was the only reason for the war.

                            WSS

                            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                            B C 2 Replies Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • W Westside Steve

                              @baconhound said:

                              Steve I tend to agree when we talk in terms of "human ownership" but I also feel that there are labor forces that aren't owned who are exploited to a degree that we could call it "modern slavery" be it child labor, human sex trafficking or bonded labor.

                              No doubt.

                              And of course that line gets blurred a little bit like the poverty line. Poverty in the United States isn't like poverty in Uganda. And below union wages might get classified as slave labor. But you are certainly correct.

                              Still I don't think anyone wants to go to war to put a stop to it.

                              And whether it lasted here in the US for another 10 years or another 20 years it's hard for me to imagine it being worth 620,000 human lives, even if it was the only reason for the war.

                              WSS

                              BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 5k Posts
                              • 306 Reputation
                              B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @westside-steve said:

                              No doubt.

                              And of course that line gets blurred a little bit like the poverty line. Poverty in the United States isn't like poverty in Uganda. And below union wages might get classified as slave labor. But you are certainly correct.

                              Still I don't think anyone wants to go to war to put a stop to it.

                              And whether it lasted here in the US for another 10 years or another 20 years it's hard for me to imagine it being worth 620,000 human lives, even if it was the only reason for the war.

                              WSS

                              One of the things I've always felt has made America great is our ability to recognize inequality in our own nation and change it from within. The abolition of slavery, women's suffrage, civil rights movement, etc. were all accomplished by Americans taking a stand for what's right

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • W Westside Steve

                                https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

                                So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane but just in case he is here's a map of where you can find them. I'm assuming whatever countries are their enemies have recruitment offices.

                                That being said I don't think Lincoln cared about ending slavery and would have annihilated the South even if they agreed to give them up but still wanted to secede. I also think centuries ago slavery was the way of the world and even had the South won it would have been eliminated relatively soon.

                                Just part of the social evolution of the world. Unfortunately all parts of the world have not progressed equally.

                                WSS

                                Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                                • 24k Posts
                                • 1k Reputation
                                C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @westside-steve said:

                                https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/17/this-map-shows-where-the-worlds-30-million-slaves-live-there-are-60000-in-the-u-s/

                                So Cleve says he has no problem killing billions of people because of slavery. I think that's insane

                                Let me clear about something, if Slavery goes on in a country but only a small % of the people practice it...those that don't aren't getting counted in my original statement. Now if you are indeed a slave holder or explicitly condone it.....you think it's insane on my part to consider those people's lives unfit for our world? So if you had the power to eradicate such people who for the sake of argument we're going to say are completely intransigent on the subject and consider it their divine god given right to own other human beings? You wouldn't? Cause i'd turn those people off like a light switch....millions billions trillions makes no difference. We are afterall talking about the most fundamental evil that humans practice. You can parse out different forms of slavery if you wish...like indentured servitude blah blah ....that's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about the unwilling detention and forced labor of another human being who did nothing wrong and isn't working off some debt because of a crime he committed.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • W Westside Steve

                                  @baconhound said:

                                  Steve I tend to agree when we talk in terms of "human ownership" but I also feel that there are labor forces that aren't owned who are exploited to a degree that we could call it "modern slavery" be it child labor, human sex trafficking or bonded labor.

                                  No doubt.

                                  And of course that line gets blurred a little bit like the poverty line. Poverty in the United States isn't like poverty in Uganda. And below union wages might get classified as slave labor. But you are certainly correct.

                                  Still I don't think anyone wants to go to war to put a stop to it.

                                  And whether it lasted here in the US for another 10 years or another 20 years it's hard for me to imagine it being worth 620,000 human lives, even if it was the only reason for the war.

                                  WSS

                                  Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                                  • 24k Posts
                                  • 1k Reputation
                                  C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @westside-steve said:

                                  And whether it lasted here in the US for another 10 years or another 20 years it's hard for me to imagine it being worth 620,000 human lives, even if it was the only reason for the war.

                                  WSS

                                  No it would have been absolutely worth it. Slavery was a shitstain on our honor. Let me very clear....we were "NOT" an honorable country as long as we practiced slavery. It's a fundamental evil. Now you're right, it may not have lasted all that much longer but it would have lasted long enough. One day of slavery is one day too many. If you don't get that, again....what happened to your moral compass?

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                  Register Login
                                  Reply
                                  • Reply as topic
                                  Log in to reply
                                  • Oldest to Newest
                                  • Newest to Oldest
                                  • Most Votes


                                  Theme
                                  • System
                                  • Light
                                  • Dark
                                  The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                  The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  0
                                  • Forums
                                  • Recent
                                  • Popular
                                  • Users
                                  • Donate