Skip to content

A Look at O-Line and Cap Numbers

The Browns Board
11 6 552
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Good research... overthecap.com is a great resource for all things $$$ related.

    No doubt that where you spend money on a line is:

    1. LT

    2. C

    3. everywhere else.

    I think Mack is at that "I want to win rings" stage of his career. Not necessarily this year or next, but soon... injury breeds a sense of urgency.

    I expect our offer to be competitive, but in the end I think he will go to the competitive bid for his services where he sees the best chance of realizing the ring. And that is not going to hinge upon O-line depth/versatility.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Honestly, I hate money talk......but I realize it is a driving force behind a lot of personnell decisions.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Not a big money talking guy myself Gip, but it is very relevant when it comes to the oline, which is a huge strength of the team going forward.

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #5

    We usually have the most Cap Space Available every year, I don't think money should be a factor.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #6

    You should hope it becomes a concern.

    We don't have high-dollar skill position players... yet...

    Even a 2nd tier QB alone will run us double what we are paying in total for our QC stable at present.

  • You should hope it becomes a concern.

    We don't have high-dollar skill position players... yet...

    Even a 2nd tier QB alone will run us double what we are paying in total for our QC stable at present.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @tour2ma said:

    You should hope it becomes a concern.

    We don't have high-dollar skill position players... yet...

    Even a 2nd tier QB alone will run us double what we are paying in total for our QC stable at present.

    Ya, we are doing QB on the cheap, if we get lucky and one of them becomes a playoff qb for a couple years, that is how Seattle was able to load up SB talent, they had QB and other key positions on rookie contracts and they dont splurge on WRs, except that one idiot they got rid of.

    Z

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #8

    All true, Z, but they did just lay out $8mm when they acquired Graham (rises to $9 next season and $10 the following).

    As Seattle is finding out nothing lasts forever. They are currently $9mm under the Cap and still have Wilson (only making $1.7mm this year) to sign.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Oh yeah, they're fucked now. But I'll take two years of being one bad call from two rings.

    Z

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Bingo! Thus my original reply...

  • Not a big money talking guy myself Gip, but it is very relevant when it comes to the oline, which is a huge strength of the team going forward.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #11

    @riffer-x said:

    Not a big money talking guy myself Gip, but it is very relevant when it comes to the oline, which is a huge strength of the team going forward.

    Nice thread Riff. The good news with the rookie salary cap is that guys like Bitonio and Erving aren't costing nearly what Schwartz, Mack and Thomas cost right out of college. Greco's early history of only 4 starts in his first 3 years in St Louis before the conditions of his trade kept us from starting him in his first year here - really make him a bang for the buck. All that weight he lost last off season led to the best football of his career. Then we have Seattle's former 7th round Tackle Bowie who doesn't sport a big contract either. All that gives us certain liberties moving forward if we need them.

    Along the same line (for our dline), Shelton's first contract is significantly less than Phil Taylor's. Meanwhile, Xavier Cooper will be making a fraction of what Des Bryant is getting in his FA contract. John Hughes and Billy Winn make mid-to-late round cake. I'm not sure what Starks will make; but he comes to us at an age where he's not a long term worry.

    We're looking good in the trenches.

    I never thought I'd say this but I'm kind of glad Josh Gordon's 2 brain cells aren't on speaking terms. When he came back last year - he destroyed some of the continuity and chemistry the guys stepping up had going here. We were 7-4 before he showed up looking lik ehe didn't know the playbook, his routes or his adjustments.

    I'm guessing we're very cap healthy today. We have a great leadership tandem of Farmer & Pettine.