Skip to content

Weakened Weaknesses

The Browns Board
50 13 1.8k
  • One gap, two gap, three technique....

    I admit I don't understand all that tech stuff. Never played.

    Sure, I've read about it, and then I forget, when you and others keep

    bringing it up, I go "what the )(*&(* was that stuff about again?"

    No matter, I'll call later and laugh about it.

    I do note that Hampton had 9 career sacks. and Big Phil has 7.

    Here's Big Phil:

    https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CKXwSZeUMAE1lEp.mp4

    Here's Hampton:

    240px-Casey_Hampton.JPG

  • Here we go Brownies, Here we go !!!!!!! 😎

  • One gap, two gap, three technique....

    I admit I don't understand all that tech stuff. Never played.

    Sure, I've read about it, and then I forget, when you and others keep

    bringing it up, I go "what the )(*&(* was that stuff about again?"

    No matter, I'll call later and laugh about it.

    I do note that Hampton had 9 career sacks. and Big Phil has 7.

    Here's Big Phil:

    https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CKXwSZeUMAE1lEp.mp4

    Here's Hampton:

    240px-Casey_Hampton.JPG

    @calfoxwc said:

    One gap, two gap, three technique....

    I admit I don't understand all that tech stuff. Never played.

    Sure, I've read about it, and then I forget, when you and others keep

    bringing it up, I go "what the )(*&(* was that stuff about again?"

    No matter, I'll call later and laugh about it.

    I do note that Hampton had 9 career sacks. and Big Phil has 7.

    Here's Big Phil:

    https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CKXwSZeUMAE1lEp.mp4

    Here's Hampton:

    240px-Casey_Hampton.JPG

    LOL! You actually know a lot more than you give yourself credit for. 1 gap means getting upfield (into the backfield) via shooting a the closest gap or lining up on a shoulder of an olineman and giving him a rip move or swim move to get past him. It's more of a go around the blocker approach than a get up under the blocker with a better pad height/leverage to push him back or a part of a pocket back. Dwight Freeney was a 1 gap stud that got a ton of sacks; but that him vulnerable against the run at times. When Indy got behind in the playoffs, opponents he got out of his pin your ears back comfort zone that Peyton often spoiled him with in the regular season.

    Reggie White was a poster boy of 2 gap play through the man. He could ragdoll just about anyone on the planet and control both sides of the blocker in the process. Bruce Smith, on the other hand, was more of a extremely quick1 gap guy that excelled with a spin move off the edge. However, the NY Giants found the kryptonite on that when they put together 2 SB record length scoring drives ending with TDs (over 11 minutes and over 13 minutes). They ran right at Bruce Smith picking a side of Jumbo Elliott all game long, which also did its magic in the time of possession war required to keep Buffalo's potent offense sidelined.

  • It wasn't all that long... 😉

    Good collection of takes with fresh perspectives on common themes... with the Big Phil segment standing out.

    I can still see a play in my head from 2013 IIRC where he slides from NT all the way to the near sideline before racking a RB for a minimal gain. May have been in the blowout vs. Cinci.

    Whenever it was, it was a "thing of beauty", and my constant reminder of how good Phil could be. I just hope we're not to the point of having to say "could have been" because of the injuries between then and now, but rather we are still in a period when motivational fixes can take hold and be effective.

  • My big problem for the Browns this season is that everything looks good from the outside to the inside,, Meaning,,,, The QB Pos just looks woafully weak to Me.. maybe thats just Me. But until we find one.. We are what we have been. My other concern is Flip/Pettine. Will they have balls to not get completely suckered into "MartyBall" And be so conservative they're afraid to lose. We have seen how that has worked out before. I'm encouraged by the LB corp getting younger besides Dansby, who seems to be the perfect mentor to go along with Hitner, and the safeties.

    I guess My enthusiasm should be higher. But I'm caught into this "wait and let's see" mode...

  • My big problem for the Browns this season is that everything looks good from the outside to the inside,, Meaning,,,, The QB Pos just looks woafully weak to Me.. maybe thats just Me. But until we find one.. We are what we have been. My other concern is Flip/Pettine. Will they have balls to not get completely suckered into "MartyBall" And be so conservative they're afraid to lose. We have seen how that has worked out before. I'm encouraged by the LB corp getting younger besides Dansby, who seems to be the perfect mentor to go along with Hitner, and the safeties.

    I guess My enthusiasm should be higher. But I'm caught into this "wait and let's see" mode...

    @nickers said:

    My big problem for the Browns this season is that everything looks good from the outside to the inside,, Meaning,,,, The QB Pos just looks woafully weak to Me.. maybe thats just Me. But until we find one.. We are what we have been. My other concern is Flip/Pettine. Will they have balls to not get completely suckered into "MartyBall" And be so conservative they're afraid to lose. We have seen how that has worked out before. I'm encouraged by the LB corp getting younger besides Dansby, who seems to be the perfect mentor to go along with Hitner, and the safeties.

    I guess My enthusiasm should be higher. But I'm caught into this "wait and let's see" mode...

    Gotta agree that QB is woeful and a successful season hinges on one of these guys performing better than they have in the past.......and thats a HUGE "maybe"......

    But, being a lover of defense, I am at least hoping to rough a few teams up and get some fun, hard hitting football....

    Although they have said they want a smash mouth style and plan to run a lot, I do believe they can do this and remain aggressive....and not fall into a Marty ball conservative mode.....it'll boil down to play selection and when they decide to pass or run......and, hopefully, they will bully teams(Pettines words) when they are ahead and NOT get conservative trying to protect a lead...

    Fingers crossed.....and, Gooooooooooooo Josh!

  • I still see the qb position as being the steering wheel of the car.

    The linemen are the engine, and the

    rb's, te's and wr's are the wheels.

    It takes all parts to make it go. It takes all good parts to really go faster.

    EDIT: AND, the coaching staff is like the pit crew and crew chief in Nascar,

    making all the adjustments and calls on the setup and the race.

    But the steering wheel just steers. That's why I am getting very hyped about

    the probabilities of the Browns kicking ass this coming season. 😎

  • yeah. i tend to agree that although the QB position is important, it's not the be all end all position of winning and losing. there's been plenty of 'game managers' that have been at the helm of super bowl winning teams. as long as we don't have a pick 6 weeden running the O squad i think we'll be alright. besides i would have to think that our coaching staff has enough brains not to over complicate the O for mccown and not ask him to be some aaron rodgers out there on the field (it would be nice though, wouldn't it?). i hope we will all be pleasantly surprised with how josh performs this year given the line in front of him. BUT he is just a bridge gap guy and the future has to be looked at when it comes to the QB position.

    i feel the tide is turning in cleveland. i like the team farmer is building. i've loved his drafts. no matter what happens this year i think farmer is setting up the browns to finally go out and get that true #1 QB this franchise hasn't seen since the 80s. if we stay healthy and the contracts are in line to keep the important players i say go all-in on offense next year in the draft.

  • One gap, two gap, three technique....

    I admit I don't understand all that tech stuff. Never played.

    Sure, I've read about it, and then I forget, when you and others keep

    bringing it up, I go "what the )(*&(* was that stuff about again?"

    No matter, I'll call later and laugh about it.

    I do note that Hampton had 9 career sacks. and Big Phil has 7.

    Here's Big Phil:

    https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CKXwSZeUMAE1lEp.mp4

    Here's Hampton:

    240px-Casey_Hampton.JPG

    @calfoxwc said:

    One gap, two gap, three technique....

    I admit I don't understand all that tech stuff. Never played.

    Sure, I've read about it, and then I forget, when you and others keep

    bringing it up, I go "what the )(*&(* was that stuff about again?"

    Basic football scheme lingo doesn't require an advanced knowledge of the game.
  • I don't want a "Game Manager" I want a QB that scares people..

  • Oh, great grand poobah of excellent and verbose football analysis, I am even more into believing

    that the Browns are going to shock the opposition on both sides of the ball.

    Losing teams turn the corner when they start getting the right players in place, with the right coaches

    and systems, and it all comes together.

    Seems to me, that the weaknesses have become strengths, the strengths have become stronger,

    and the depth is there to last the season without disaster.

    Mayle, I think, will surprise and be a terrific addition. Pryor - changing over to wr... I think, practice squad.

    Probably way too much to learn. Or maybe not.

    I keep rooting for Pullard to make the practice squad. Probably not - but I am rooting for him. Would

    probably be better with a 4-3 team. Hope he gets to show he can play in pre-season and stick in the

    NFL somewhere.

    Surely Duke, Shelton, Irving, Orchard, and Cooper alone make this a very, very more complete

    and powerful team on both sides of the ball. Seems that the moves the Browns have made, the Browns

    have not one area of the team that will make them suffer a losing season. Even the depth is there.

    If I read one more time where the Browns are doomed because they "don't have a qb", i'm going to

    two excedrin extra strength, and not for my knee. The Browns are going to kick ass, across the board,

    and I can't wait to see the faces on tv of opposing players stunned and looking crosseyed, that the Browns

    are the NEW, weaknesses fixed, depth fixed Browns that just kicked their asses.

    This is really exciting stuff...and it's ALMOST AUGUST !!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns

    have a completely new and kickass look when we go to watch them in practice. Sorry, but I see

    KICKASS where we all used to see "competitive".

    @calfoxwc said:

    Losing teams turn the corner when they get the right right franchise QB in place, with the right coaches

    and systems, and it all comes together.

    Condensed it, and fixed it for you..

    The Browns appear to me to be taking the QB approach the Bucs took last yr. Bring in McClown for Johnny Rehab to learn from.. He was supposed to mentor Mike Glennon last yr.. He had two 6'5 WRs and a 6'7" TE to work with.. And still brought the Bucs the #1 pick.. Think about that for a minute..

  • I don't want a "Game Manager" I want a QB that scares people..

    @nickers said:

    I don't want a "Game Manager" I want a QB that scares people..

    Peyton Manning scared everyone but the Hawks defense.

    While the QB is undoubtedly the most important position on the field, look no further than organizations that have used good to great signal callers that have masked deficiencies in their teams.

    The Colts might be the best example. Without Manning and Luck they're total trash.

  • AxeA Axe

    @calfoxwc said:

    Losing teams turn the corner when they get the right right franchise QB in place, with the right coaches

    and systems, and it all comes together.

    Condensed it, and fixed it for you..

    The Browns appear to me to be taking the QB approach the Bucs took last yr. Bring in McClown for Johnny Rehab to learn from.. He was supposed to mentor Mike Glennon last yr.. He had two 6'5 WRs and a 6'7" TE to work with.. And still brought the Bucs the #1 pick.. Think about that for a minute..

    @axe said:

    Condensed it, and fixed it for you..

    The Browns appear to me to be taking the QB approach the Bucs took last yr. Bring in McClown for Johnny Rehab to learn from.. He was supposed to mentor Mike Glennon last yr.. He had two 6'5 WRs and a 6'7" TE to work with.. And still brought the Bucs the #1 pick.. Think about that for a minute..

    I hear you but there are so many variables that I just don't think you can broad brush such a conclusion. Coaches, systems, other players, injuries and execution play an important role. My hope is that it all comes together for the Browns this year. I think they can play competitively against any team - and if that means 8-8, I'll be really happy because 1 more draft/FA and this team can be really special (yes, with a new starting QB).

  • Condensed it, and fixed it for you..



    The Browns appear to me to be taking the QB approach the Bucs took last yr. Bring in McClown for Johnny Rehab to learn from.. He was supposed to mentor Mike Glennon last yr.. He had two 6'5 WRs and a 6'7" TE to work with.. And still brought the Bucs the #1 pick.. Think about that for a minute.. Axe


    ************************************************


    Au contraire, mon ami ....



    The Saints had a truly great qb in Archie Manning, and he had a terrible time. A great qb goes to a playoff team,


    he'll probably be great.



    A great qb goes to a team that is seriously lacking in talent on offense, does not look great. Bert Jones with the Colts...


    You let the Browns nab a star #1 qb next year, and watch him not be a bust, but play


    like the real deal. Better to get all the pieces in place, and then get the qb.



    Archie was refusing to let it happen to Eli.


  • Basic football scheme lingo doesn't require an advanced knowledge of the game. Tiam

    *****************************************************

    I never said it did. I was laughing at myself because I never talk about that stuff. I wasn't complaining -

    and explained that to Mr. Flugels - he knows that.

  • AxeA Axe

    @calfoxwc said:

    Losing teams turn the corner when they get the right right franchise QB in place, with the right coaches

    and systems, and it all comes together.

    Condensed it, and fixed it for you..

    The Browns appear to me to be taking the QB approach the Bucs took last yr. Bring in McClown for Johnny Rehab to learn from.. He was supposed to mentor Mike Glennon last yr.. He had two 6'5 WRs and a 6'7" TE to work with.. And still brought the Bucs the #1 pick.. Think about that for a minute..

    @axe said:

    Condensed it, and fixed it for you..

    The Browns appear to me to be taking the QB approach the Bucs took last yr. Bring in McClown for Johnny Rehab to learn from.. He was supposed to mentor Mike Glennon last yr.. He had two 6'5 WRs and a 6'7" TE to work with.. And still brought the Bucs the #1 pick.. Think about that for a minute..

    you could have the best wrs in the game but with no OL to protect the QB you'll still be shit.

    the bucs are doing it all wrong, while the browns are building a team correctly. i don't know what the bucs did to improve their pass protection this offseason but if they didn't plug some holes jameis winston might go the way of tim couch.

  • @axe said:

    Condensed it, and fixed it for you..

    The Browns appear to me to be taking the QB approach the Bucs took last yr. Bring in McClown for Johnny Rehab to learn from.. He was supposed to mentor Mike Glennon last yr.. He had two 6'5 WRs and a 6'7" TE to work with.. And still brought the Bucs the #1 pick.. Think about that for a minute..

    you could have the best wrs in the game but with no OL to protect the QB you'll still be shit.

    the bucs are doing it all wrong, while the browns are building a team correctly. i don't know what the bucs did to improve their pass protection this offseason but if they didn't plug some holes jameis winston might go the way of tim couch.

    @miktoxic said:

    you could have the best wrs in the game but with no OL to protect the QB you'll still be shit.

    the bucs are doing it all wrong, while the browns are building a team correctly. i don't know what the bucs did to improve their pass protection this offseason but if they didn't plug some holes jameis winston might go the way of tim couch.

    I just watched a number of Bucs games on Rewind, just to see what McCown looked like, and gotta say that their OL sucks rocks......they are really really bad...... Poor guy had no chance(or time) to do anything......was running for his life on every play and there was rarely time for those "great" WR's to even get open.......

    I think he'll do better here, with this line and WR corp, than he did there......(Im hoping)

  • I don't want a "Game Manager" I want a QB that scares people..

    @nickers said:

    I don't want a "Game Manager" I want a QB that scares people..

    Well, we don't have that guy. ...not unless JFF plays here the way he did in college......and no one I know thinks he can do that.

  • I don't want a "Game Manager" I want a QB that scares people..

    @nickers said:

    I don't want a "Game Manager" I want a QB that scares people opponents...

    Fixed...

  • Nicker's look at it the right way. look at the sorry QB's we have brought in and still looked competitive (a OL). We send them elsewhere their out of the league in a year. 1 Exception Derek Anderson.