Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Cecil the Lion

Cecil the Lion

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
86 Posts 20 Posters 2.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • gftChris gftChrisG
    • 13k Posts
    • 428 Reputation
    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #1

    This has been all over the news here. Apparently a dentist from somewhere over there paid $55k to hunt and kill a lion. The lion he killed was in fact the alpha male, 'mascot' of the conservation project and was not 'earmarked' for hunting as some lions apparently are.

    It seems that big game 'trophy' hunting is part of the conservation strategy here; extort huge sums of money from foreigners, then reinvest that in protecting the animals and expanding the reserve, that kind of thing.

    Now the guy has closed his practise and gone in to hiding because of the backlash he's facing. He's blaming it on local guides giving him the wrong lion to hunt.

    How do you feel about hunting in general, trophy hunting like this, and including hunting as part of the conservation program?

    Personally I have no problem hunting non-endangered species - ducks, moose or whatever - but when it comes to those we're trying to protect I'm not so sure. Then again, it seems to be a recognised method of conservation and proven effective, so I'm equally not so sure.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
      • 39k Posts
      • 9k Reputation
      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I do not hunt but I have friends who do.

      I do eat meat and wear leather.

      But anyone who kills for fun is a sick bastard.

      WSS

      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
      StinkHoleS MudflyM 2 Replies Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • gftChris gftChrisG
        • 13k Posts
        • 428 Reputation
        gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I can see hunting for sport - as long as you intend to eat the thing you kill, that is. Hunting for trophies I'm less OK with.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
          • 39k Posts
          • 9k Reputation
          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
          #4

          I don't want to hijack the thread, & I won't let it happen, but its like torturing a suspect to save lives versus torturing somebody because you get off on it...

          WSS

          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
          gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • W Westside Steve

            I don't want to hijack the thread, & I won't let it happen, but its like torturing a suspect to save lives versus torturing somebody because you get off on it...

            WSS

            gftChris gftChrisG
            • 13k Posts
            • 428 Reputation
            gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @westside-steve said:

            I don't want to hijack the thread, & I won't let it happen, but its like torturing a suspect to save lives versus torturing somebody because you get off on it...

            WSS

            Well, if both parties enjoy it... 😉

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • W Westside Steve

              I do not hunt but I have friends who do.

              I do eat meat and wear leather.

              But anyone who kills for fun is a sick bastard.

              WSS

              StinkHole StinkHoleS One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 3k Posts
              • 365 Reputation
              StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @westside-steve said:

              I do not hunt but I have friends who do.

              I do eat meat and wear leather.

              But anyone who kills for fun is a sick bastard.

              WSS

              That's odd that you would choose sick bastards for friends!

              Hunting even with the intention to eat the meat is still fun for the hunter.

              The guides Palmer the hunter hired were jailed and released on bond.

              The killing of this lion was pathetic. Cecil was lured out of his reserve and killed. That's not hunting.

              http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

              W 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • StinkHoleS StinkHole

                @westside-steve said:

                I do not hunt but I have friends who do.

                I do eat meat and wear leather.

                But anyone who kills for fun is a sick bastard.

                WSS

                That's odd that you would choose sick bastards for friends!

                Hunting even with the intention to eat the meat is still fun for the hunter.

                The guides Palmer the hunter hired were jailed and released on bond.

                The killing of this lion was pathetic. Cecil was lured out of his reserve and killed. That's not hunting.

                http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

                Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                • 39k Posts
                • 9k Reputation
                W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                #7

                Stuart said:

                That's odd that you would choose sick bastards for friends!

                Hunting even with the intention to eat the meat is still fun for the hunter.

                The guides Palmer the hunter hired were jailed and released on bond.

                The killing of this lion was pathetic. Cecil was lured out of his reserve and killed. That's not hunting.

                http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

                Well I suppose the hunters I know enjoy the sport but each of them, to my knowledge, eats whatever he shoots or catches. I don't know of anyone who would brag of killing a 12 point buck cutting off the head and leaving the carcass to rot, do you?

                (Nor do I think any of them eat deer meat for survival, but...)

                Anyway, I'm assuming you hunt or you wouldn't have gotten defensive so there you go.

                As far as having sick bastards for friends many of them vote Democrat on a regular basis so there's that...

                😉

                WSS

                www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                StinkHoleS 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                  • 64k Posts
                  • 8k Reputation
                  C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
                  #8

                  I hunt. Rarely for food...but varmints.... I hunt groundhogs because they are tearing up places around our farm.

                  And I shoot skunks - they are overpopulated. And coyotes - I'll shoot them because

                  they are threat in several ways.

                  But squirel, young groundhog, deer and pheasant (except they are most gone from Ohio),

                  and turkey (I've seen tracks in the mud one time...)...

                  are good food.

                  You could go fishing in Canada, your little boat motor won't run, and the breeze could

                  blow you all the way across a large, wild lake. You're in trouble. Maybe you have your

                  family with you, or friends... or by yourself...

                  I always wondered about that - since I love the outdoors so much. What would I do?

                  Hopefully, I'd have a .22 rifle, fish for food, hunt for food, eat in the wild,

                  and know I could build a fire. I've always been intrigued with survival stuff.

                  Hunting for food is cool. The trophy hunting, like shooting an owl or a hawk or eagle, is illegal

                  because it's wrong.

                  This was repulsive. I guess the idiot dentist is in hiding now. Luring that lion out of the reserve...

                  maybe the dentist didn't know. But the lurers did, and they should see hard time. For a long

                  time. No such thing as "hunt and release"...

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                    • 39k Posts
                    • 9k Reputation
                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    I figure you can take your camera along and if you get close enough to a wild animal to snap his picture then you're close enough to have killed him with your $3,000 rifle and laser scope.

                    WSS

                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • W Westside Steve

                      Stuart said:

                      That's odd that you would choose sick bastards for friends!

                      Hunting even with the intention to eat the meat is still fun for the hunter.

                      The guides Palmer the hunter hired were jailed and released on bond.

                      The killing of this lion was pathetic. Cecil was lured out of his reserve and killed. That's not hunting.

                      http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

                      Well I suppose the hunters I know enjoy the sport but each of them, to my knowledge, eats whatever he shoots or catches. I don't know of anyone who would brag of killing a 12 point buck cutting off the head and leaving the carcass to rot, do you?

                      (Nor do I think any of them eat deer meat for survival, but...)

                      Anyway, I'm assuming you hunt or you wouldn't have gotten defensive so there you go.

                      As far as having sick bastards for friends many of them vote Democrat on a regular basis so there's that...

                      😉

                      WSS

                      StinkHole StinkHoleS One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 3k Posts
                      • 365 Reputation
                      StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @westside-steve said:

                      Well I suppose the hunters I know enjoy the sport but each of them, to my knowledge, eats whatever he shoots or catches. I don't know of anyone who would brag of killing a 12 point buck cutting off the head and leaving the carcass to rot, do you?

                      (Nor do I think any of them eat deer meat for survival, but...)

                      Anyway, I'm assuming you hunt or you wouldn't have gotten defensive so there you go.

                      As far as having sick bastards for friends many of them vote Democrat on a regular basis so there's that...

                      😉

                      WSS

                      Fuck no, I don't hunt. Don't even own a gun. Don't find pleasure in killing animals, but to each his own.

                      I'm a musician, like you! (as a hobby)

                      Not a musician/hunter like Ted Nugent.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                        • 24k Posts
                        • 1k Reputation
                        C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        While I have "zero" problem with the outrage that's following that dentist around, I agree with Rubio that it's strange the PP thing hasn't generated similar.

                        Back to the dentist, yeah fuck that guy. Claiming he didn't know it was a protected Lion is complete horseshit cause of what he paid backdoor. And the whole thing where the cocksucker had to shoot him with a bow so that the poor thing lived for 3 fucking days before they found him again and ended it. I can't stand these people, I literally cannot. Some of you who will have grandchildren, they will not see animals in the wild. They're gonna have to subsist on Nature re runs, and then you'll have to explain why these animals don't exist in the wild anymore. It's pathetic.

                        I understand hunting for sustenance, sport and trophy hunting I have zero tolerance for. This dentist is lucky i'm not Ceasar...cause I'd say good on you mate for that bow shot that's so impressive, but what's gonna impress me even more is when you kill another lion in a cage with your bare hands. And that's when I front snap kick him into a lion pit.

                        StinkHoleS 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • C Clevfan4life

                          While I have "zero" problem with the outrage that's following that dentist around, I agree with Rubio that it's strange the PP thing hasn't generated similar.

                          Back to the dentist, yeah fuck that guy. Claiming he didn't know it was a protected Lion is complete horseshit cause of what he paid backdoor. And the whole thing where the cocksucker had to shoot him with a bow so that the poor thing lived for 3 fucking days before they found him again and ended it. I can't stand these people, I literally cannot. Some of you who will have grandchildren, they will not see animals in the wild. They're gonna have to subsist on Nature re runs, and then you'll have to explain why these animals don't exist in the wild anymore. It's pathetic.

                          I understand hunting for sustenance, sport and trophy hunting I have zero tolerance for. This dentist is lucky i'm not Ceasar...cause I'd say good on you mate for that bow shot that's so impressive, but what's gonna impress me even more is when you kill another lion in a cage with your bare hands. And that's when I front snap kick him into a lion pit.

                          StinkHole StinkHoleS One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 3k Posts
                          • 365 Reputation
                          StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @clevfan4life said:

                          While I have "zero" problem with the outrage that's following that dentist around, I agree with Rubio that it's strange the PP thing hasn't generated similar.

                          Except that "strange" is not the proper word.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                            • 15k Posts
                            • 2k Reputation
                            T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I don't really care to be honest

                            Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                            W 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • T The Cysko Kid

                              I don't really care to be honest

                              Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                              • 39k Posts
                              • 9k Reputation
                              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @the-cysko-kid said:

                              I don't really care to be honest

                              Honestly?

                              WSS

                              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                              T 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                                • 33k Posts
                                • 3k Reputation
                                MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                Getting large sums of money from foreigners to hunt one animal, so you can reinvest it and potentially save dozens, seems like the only strategy they have though.

                                Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                                W gftChrisG C 3 Replies Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                                  • 28k Posts
                                  • 6k Reputation
                                  DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  This was plain wrong. Just some pussy wanting a trophy head to hang up in his den. What a fucking man.

                                  "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody

                                    Getting large sums of money from foreigners to hunt one animal, so you can reinvest it and potentially save dozens, seems like the only strategy they have though.

                                    Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                    • 39k Posts
                                    • 9k Reputation
                                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @mld-woody said:

                                    Getting large sums of money from foreigners to hunt one animal, so you can reinvest it and potentially save dozens, seems like the only strategy they have though.

                                    Well I guess we could open up a reserve and let hunters come in and shoot death row inmates. I bet that would help offset the costs of incarceration!

                                    😉

                                    WSS

                                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                    Browns149B 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • W Westside Steve

                                      @the-cysko-kid said:

                                      I don't really care to be honest

                                      Honestly?

                                      WSS

                                      The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                      • 15k Posts
                                      • 2k Reputation
                                      T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @westside-steve said:

                                      Honestly?

                                      WSS

                                      Yep. Couldn't give a shit.

                                      Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody

                                        Getting large sums of money from foreigners to hunt one animal, so you can reinvest it and potentially save dozens, seems like the only strategy they have though.

                                        gftChris gftChrisG
                                        • 13k Posts
                                        • 428 Reputation
                                        gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @mld-woody said:

                                        Getting large sums of money from foreigners to hunt one animal, so you can reinvest it and potentially save dozens, seems like the only strategy they have though.

                                        Well, there's also the traditional type of animal tourism.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                          • 15k Posts
                                          • 2k Reputation
                                          T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          Why is a lion any more tragic or important than the scores of coyote/ cougars/ alligator/wild boar/bear hunted every day for sport? Lions aren't even endangered by most conservationists reckoning. So I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe if the animal were endangered and he wasn't issued a government permit to hunt lion I would give a shit.

                                          Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                          StinkHoleS C 2 Replies Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate