Skip to content

From Columbus

The Browns Board
31 15 1.3k
  • I'm with you on Benji, would like for them to find a way to keep him. If he doesn't make the cut though l won't shit my pants. I mean, l might shit my pants, but not because of that.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I'm with you on Benji, would like for them to find a way to keep him. If he doesn't make the cut though l won't shit my pants. I mean, l might shit my pants, but not because of that.

    I won't lose any sleep about anyone we cut inclusive of Benjamin. If we're cutting guys that have improved their WR skills as much as he did in 2014 - it means this has become a much stronger position than it has been.

    My orientation/intrigue with him in particular is when we draft a mid-late round guy - there's a bang for the buck investment made on coaching him up into a needed keeper status. Our margin of error in that TN comeback shrunk all the way down to 1 mistake/dropped pass in the clutch meant game over - no epic comeback story. Guess what? He went carpet diem on it with an out route on the sidelines to move the changes and 2 TD receptions exploiting the zone blitz that his experience in the AFC North trained him to be ready for when given the moment. He averaged 17.4 yards per catch which reminds us of what his foot speed can accomplish as we await even a stronger arm at QB in 2015.

  • These players are all working so hard that we, as Fans, will have to watch some of our favorites go. While that may seem unfortunate, it speaks well of depth, talent, & coaching.

    These guys seem to be pushing all the right buttons so far, so let's see what happens by final cut time. I expect to see effort in the final exhibition game like I have not seen in many years, if ever. It just seems that someone else steps up every practice. Fun stuff!

    Mike

  • Ok....the scrimmage was, well, a scrimmage......nice to see some padded D's against the O's......

    Quick notes......

    1) Johnny has a nice - quick release....looked WAY more comfortable and confident than just a week ago.....best Ive seen from him yet...(and he stayed home and did his job)

    2) Shelton.....heh heh heh......we're gonna like him......A LOT!

    3) Orchard had a sack....set up by Shelton....a good start....

    4) Marlon Moore dragged Gilbert 1/2 way down the field......like a sack of soggy potatoes.....

    5) Josh Lenz caught my eye.....again......dood is a dark horse to make this team...Im tellin ya.....

    6) Brain Hartline seems to finally be making waves.....grrrrreat!

    7) Run D looked improved.....a coupla stuffs at the line....(and Robertson was looking strong)

    😎 Gary Barnidge is proving he's our best TE.....just ink him in and lets go.....

    9) O line was ok with Seymour.......Mack "is" the difference.......

    10) Bibbs....he and Johnson will add a dimension we haven't had......

    I think the thing that disappointed me in the broadcast was a lack of crispness. Hear so much about how modern camps strive to pack as much as they can into the limited time they have and how organized the Berea practices look.

    I'm sure it's unreasonable to think a scrimmage could be as fast paced, but c'mon...

    @mudfly said:

    1) Johnny has a nice - quick release....

    2) Shelton.....heh heh heh......we're gonna like him......A LOT!

    5) Josh Lenz caught my eye

    9) O line was ok with Seymour.......Mack "is" the difference.......

    10) Bibbs...

    Agree... JM's mechanics continue to look solid... same as in OTAs.

    I'm still amazed that Shelton was there at 12.

    Lenz may just mess up a bunch of our WR prognostications.

    Seymour looked considerably "bulkier" than I remember.

    Appears Bibbs has a very nice pair of hands.

    Looked like Gilbert hurt his left shoulder after an end zone pass defense. Any word?

    EDIT: Per DawgsbyNature report it was his hand and he's fine.

  • Only exuberance I can't share is JM's read progress. Not having a 22 view, I can't draw that conclusion. The one instance where I can infer reads from head movement was when he scrambled left and then threw across his body to Bibbs IIRC.

    Great point on Travis... the '14 highlight reel reminded me of how good of a WR he'd become since his rookie year when all Norv apparently thought he was only good for go routes.

  • Only exuberance I can't share is JM's read progress. Not having a 22 view, I can't draw that conclusion. The one instance where I can infer reads from head movement was when he scrambled left and then threw across his body to Bibbs IIRC.

    Great point on Travis... the '14 highlight reel reminded me of how good of a WR he'd become since his rookie year when all Norv apparently thought he was only good for go routes.

    @tour2ma said:

    Only exuberance I can't share is JM's read progress. Not having a 22 view, I can't draw that conclusion. The one instance where I can infer reads from head movement was when he scrambled left and then threw across his body to Bibbs IIRC.

    Great point on Travis... the '14 highlight reel reminded me of how good of a WR he'd become since his rookie year when all Norv apparently thought he was only good for go routes.

    Thanks Tour! Sometimes we can't get past out first impressions of a player; and I think this is the case with some of Benjamin's critics. He's not that guy confined to go routes, drags our banana routes any more. He's an experienced player who can change direction if given the chance as we saw in that '14 highlight reel.

    If our new OC wants to use a lot of motion to free up some of our smaller/skinnier framed WRs outside - I can see both Gabriel and Benjamin improving on their 17.3 and 17.4 yards per catch.

  • I was impressed with Lenz as well with the exception of one long throw by JM that he slowed up for only to have it then sail over his head. However, JM forgave him as soon as he was back in the huddle with a fist to fist bump. Good to see he went right back to him shortly thereafter for another completion.

  • The day before the scrimmage, I listened to Pettine say it was good for Manziel to feel some success at practice from all the studying and time he was putting into learning the offense. He also said he was glad teammates saw that too.

    Right on queue, the same QB showed up to the scrimmage. I enjoyed hearing Farmer speak on the difference in Manziel this year at the scrimmage with Mayock and Wilcots.

  • Good point Ag. Announcers made a point of acknowledging that the ball was very catchable had Lenz not slowed up...

    The question becomes which receivers do we keep and who goes? I'm loving what I hear about Pryor... Lenz looked good... Bowe . Hartline. Hawkins. Mayles. All keepers.

    This may be in another thread, but for a change, it seems like we have a plethora of good WRs. I was impressed yesterday.

  • man....it's like getting a whiff of good food, when your completely starving......then having to wait till thurs just to get the first appetizer tray....

    Will be snacking on some redskin taters soon enough...

  • Flugel, Your NFL Network is spot on. Look back at the Orchard sack and watch Shelton the whole play. Closest thing to Seymour ragdolled and a good bet why not to risk Mack.. Enjoy, both the reason why we got them..

  • This conversation has me fired up. I don't even know what a banana route is, but l remember that line from Beverly Hills Cop. You got a banana in your tail pipe?

    But Flugel, to your point about a guy staying in the system and the team and player investing in each other, hell to the yeah.

    I also love rooting for the underdogs. Lenz could be the next Gabe. Who wouldn't dig the hell outta that? Guys see that shit in practice. Some no name making every play he's suppsed to make, and doesn't make the team? Unless there's a higher drafted guy doing the same, the other player's are gonna question it.

    It maintains the competitive atmosphere. Do or die. For every Gabe and Gipson there is that knocks out some drafted guy for a job, it lets them all know that nothing is granted, it must be earned.

  • Ok....the scrimmage was, well, a scrimmage......nice to see some padded D's against the O's......

    Quick notes......

    1) Johnny has a nice - quick release....looked WAY more comfortable and confident than just a week ago.....best Ive seen from him yet...(and he stayed home and did his job)

    2) Shelton.....heh heh heh......we're gonna like him......A LOT!

    3) Orchard had a sack....set up by Shelton....a good start....

    4) Marlon Moore dragged Gilbert 1/2 way down the field......like a sack of soggy potatoes.....

    5) Josh Lenz caught my eye.....again......dood is a dark horse to make this team...Im tellin ya.....

    6) Brain Hartline seems to finally be making waves.....grrrrreat!

    7) Run D looked improved.....a coupla stuffs at the line....(and Robertson was looking strong)

    😎 Gary Barnidge is proving he's our best TE.....just ink him in and lets go.....

    9) O line was ok with Seymour.......Mack "is" the difference.......

    10) Bibbs....he and Johnson will add a dimension we haven't had......

    @mudfly said:

    Ok....the scrimmage was, well, a scrimmage......nice to see some padded D's against the O's......

    Quick notes......

    1) Johnny has a nice - quick release....looked WAY more comfortable and confident than just a week ago.....best Ive seen from him yet...(and he stayed home and did his job)

    2) Shelton.....heh heh heh......we're gonna like him......A LOT!

    3) Orchard had a sack....set up by Shelton....a good start....

    4) Marlon Moore dragged Gilbert 1/2 way down the field......like a sack of soggy potatoes.....

    5) Josh Lenz caught my eye.....again......dood is a dark horse to make this team...Im tellin ya.....

    6) Brain Hartline seems to finally be making waves.....grrrrreat!

    7) Run D looked improved.....a coupla stuffs at the line....(and Robertson was looking strong)

    😎 Gary Barnidge is proving he's our best TE.....just ink him in and lets go.....

    9) O line was ok with Seymour.......Mack "is" the difference.......

    10) Bibbs....he and Johnson will add a dimension we haven't had......

    3.That was the best sample of 2 guys doing what we need on d and doing their job.

    4. Till Shelton knotted some sense into both of them. (40 time my azz)

    9.No way risk Mack with Shelton. great coaching and no Cam either?

  • They just posted the highlight reel, so here it is for anyone who didnt watch last night....

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Highlights-from-Orange-and-Brown-Scrimmage/1dfef22c-76c4-4579-ac10-ae17403e661e

  • Well, I swear I saw one play, where ilb/7th round draft pick Pullard made

    a kickass play on a run play just to the right of center. He nailed it, and

    stopped in at the los.

    I haven't gone back to watch it again, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

    And I missed the play where Shelton went toward the sideline to help make a play.