Skip to content

Shaw out extended time...thumb

The Browns Board
7 7 615
  • Browns' Connor Shaw to undergo thumb surgery, will miss extended time

    Aug 16 2015, 11:47 AMDan Wilkins

    Cleveland Browns quarterback Connor Shaw suffered a thumb injury in Thursday's preseason game that will require surgery and force him to miss extended time, the team announced Sunday.

    A decision on Shaw's status should come shortly after the procedure, but it's unlikely that Cleveland would be able to hold a place on the active roster or short-term IR for its third-team signal-caller.

    "I feel for Connor because he has worked extremely hard," head coach Mike Pettine said in a statement. "He's a competitor and has had a great offseason and a good camp so far. He is good for the quarterback room and it's unfortunate that this injury won't allow him to compete."

    If Shaw is placed on injured reserve, which would bring his 2015 season to an early end, Thad Lewis can be expected to earn the final quarterback spot behind Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel.

    Shaw appeared in one game after joining the Browns as an undrafted free agent last season, completing 14-of-28 passes for 177 yards and one interception in a Week 17 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

  • Bad break for him.If he had even average arm

    strength and some size he would be competing for

    a starting role on this team.He is a serviceable backup.

  • That's sad for him. He sees it on the field, and I don't think Lewis does that that well.

    Hope I'm wrong !

  • Yeah from everything I understand the Browns only solid choice is to put him on season ending IR. Is there something else they can do really?

  • NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

  • Hmm. Pretty sure he was throwing yesterday.

  • That's sad for him. He sees it on the field, and I don't think Lewis does that that well.

    Hope I'm wrong !

    @calfoxwc said:

    That's sad for him. He sees it on the field, and I don't think Lewis does that that well.

    Hope I'm wrong !

    Yea, I might still be looking at who is out there for 3rd string.

    Who is out there?

    Can we start the Caleb Hanie jokes back up again?