Skip to content

Shaffer lands in Chicago

The Browns Board
12 7 1.2k
  • In one of the stranger off-season story lines, the Browns and Bears ended up swapping tackles with former Browns RT Kevin Shaffer signing with the Bears, according to the Chicago Tribune after the Browns signed former Bears LT John St. Clair earlier this month.

    Shaffer got $100,000 more than he would have with the Browns for 2009 and got $2 million guaranteed, twice as much as he would have gotten with the roster bonus due to him with the Browns.

    It's a good move for the Bears who quite literally had no one to play RT. I don't know how Shaffer will do there but he's literally better than no one so I guess that's a step in the right direction for the Bears.

  • Depth for us, or is Tucker ailing?

  • St. Clair, you mean, Leg?

    I think St. Clair is going to play RT, without a doubt. At the very least, that's what Mangini has to be hoping. If Tuck comes back, he's almost certainly our RG.

    Either Womack or Tucker and St. Clair on the right side is a solid veteran side. I'm getting VERY excited about our O-line, especially if we address center.

  • If Chris Williams stays healthy, the Bears are going to have a really athletic o-line.

  • Tucker might become the depth, or would St. Clair is what I was implying. Tucker has mostly played tackle and seems to be too long for a guard.

    I think the line of :

    JT; Steiny; Hadnot; Womack; Tucker/St clair

    would be really solid.

  • Depth for us, or is Tucker ailing?

    @legacy-fan said:

    Depth for us, or is Tucker ailing?

    Tucker is 100%, supposedly. Now, can he stay that way for a whole season, that is the question.

  • In one of the stranger off-season story lines, the Browns and Bears ended up swapping tackles with former Browns RT Kevin Shaffer signing with the Bears, according to the Chicago Tribune after the Browns signed former Bears LT John St. Clair earlier this month.

    Shaffer got $100,000 more than he would have with the Browns for 2009 and got $2 million guaranteed, twice as much as he would have gotten with the roster bonus due to him with the Browns.

    It's a good move for the Bears who quite literally had no one to play RT. I don't know how Shaffer will do there but he's literally better than no one so I guess that's a step in the right direction for the Bears.

    @damajuki said:

    In one of the stranger off-season story lines, the Browns and Bears ended up swapping tackles with former Browns RT Kevin Shaffer signing with the Bears, according to the Chicago Tribune after the Browns signed former Bears LT John St. Clair earlier this month.

    Shaffer got $100,000 more than he would have with the Browns for 2009 and got $2 million guaranteed, twice as much as he would have gotten with the roster bonus due to him with the Browns.

    It's a good move for the Bears who quite literally had no one to play RT. I don't know how Shaffer will do there but he's literally better than no one so I guess that's a step in the right direction for the Bears.

    Fine with me....personally. I'm glad to see Shaffer outta here!

    Mike

  • They needed a backup LT behind Williams, or... maybe Shaffer works into the RT/RG role.

    I doubt it. I think he's depth for them.

  • All i see is an aging right side thats going to potentially fail our running game and qb by injury..that is a strange turn of events though one aging backup offensive lineman exchanged for another of similar skills what was the purpose? lol

  • They needed a backup LT behind Williams, or... maybe Shaffer works into the RT/RG role.

    I doubt it. I think he's depth for them.

    @calfoxwc said:

    They needed a backup LT behind Williams, or... maybe Shaffer works into the RT/RG role.

    I doubt it. I think he's depth for them.

    No, he's definitely slated to be the starter. You don't pay $5 million for depth, especially when you don't have anyone else to play the position.

    Their only other OL signing so far is Frank Omiyale, a career backup who has never played tackle.

    Shaffer is their guy, without a doubt.

  • All i see is an aging right side thats going to potentially fail our running game and qb by injury..that is a strange turn of events though one aging backup offensive lineman exchanged for another of similar skills what was the purpose? lol

    @gips said:

    All i see is an aging right side thats going to potentially fail our running game and qb by injury..that is a strange turn of events though one aging backup offensive lineman exchanged for another of similar skills what was the purpose? lol

    IMO, the purpose was tht when Mangini and his staff reviewed tapes of last year and how the season finished they viewed some guys that put out less then 100% at the end. Sort of quit on the team. It's just my opinion but it could be the reason why Shaffer was let go and Jones not pursued in FA. Also noting Winslow's disruptions in the locker romm got him traded.

    Shaffer was getting run over, bull rushed and speed rushed. QBs got injured and his play was luninspired, at best. Jones, injury or not, didn't hit anybody hard enough to knock them down, he was just playing out the string. His play made McDonald look worse then he was.

    If healthy Tucker is the best RG and RT on this team. He plays his heart out and has great pass blocking technique and is a very good run blocker. St Clair is a pro and will play anywhere you ask him and give you 100%. Womack is very simular. Both are team players and versitile.

    Unlike Shaffer who acted like a whiney little bitch when asked to move to the right side.

    There's the difference.

  • Womack does have a history of chunking up, which affects his durability. He stayed svelte and healthy last year, but that was with the additional motivation of playing for a new deal.

    Hopefully, hist contract's incentive-laden enough that he won't go back to his old habits.