Skip to content

QB Austin Davis a Brown

The Browns Board
99 31 3.7k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Nice "me, too" tweet by MKC...

    Works for me... but appears to be a 53 guy... so question is, Who goes?

    He is PS eligible.

    I'd guess one of the TEs or Malcolm Johnson are gone. One of them has to be on the chopping block to add a RB too. If they sign Davis and a RB, maybe a WR like Moore or LB like Carder are gone.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @mike-h said:

    He is PS eligible.

    I'd guess one of the TEs or Malcolm Johnson are gone. One of them has to be on the chopping block to add a RB too. If they sign Davis and a RB, maybe a WR like Moore or LB like Carder are gone.

    I thought Davis was active too much in 2014 (10 games) to be PS eligible any longer. Plus this is his 4th year in the league isn't it?

    Regardless... still have a RB to go.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #30

    well.....looking like my early fears of keeping 3 QB's have come true......hope we dont need em all......

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #31

    How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

  • How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

    HA!.........I say neverrrrr.....

    In all my years of Browns drafts(which are many), Ive never seen an influx of college manlove like we saw this past year....

    completely unprecedented.....

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    I think Austin is a great pick up. He played last year behind the 2nd worst OL in all of football according to PFF. If anyone had a group of sub par receivers as bad as us it was St Louis. With that if you prorate his stat line to a full season he would have ranked in at 3rd highest in passing yards with 3560 yds. and 3rd in TD's with 21 . His TD to INT ratio would have been 21/16 so a definite need to improve. I haven't watched tape to see but surely running for his life had to contribute to that.

    There are folks including Farr who think the kids legit. Its a shame he wasnt in camp from day one.

  • I think Austin is a great pick up. He played last year behind the 2nd worst OL in all of football according to PFF. If anyone had a group of sub par receivers as bad as us it was St Louis. With that if you prorate his stat line to a full season he would have ranked in at 3rd highest in passing yards with 3560 yds. and 3rd in TD's with 21 . His TD to INT ratio would have been 21/16 so a definite need to improve. I haven't watched tape to see but surely running for his life had to contribute to that.

    There are folks including Farr who think the kids legit. Its a shame he wasnt in camp from day one.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @jcam222 said:

    I think Austin is a great pick up. He played last year behind the 2nd worst OL in all of football according to PFF.

    And our starter was behind the worst?

  • @jcam222 said:

    I think Austin is a great pick up. He played last year behind the 2nd worst OL in all of football according to PFF.

    And our starter was behind the worst?

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @tour2ma said:

    And our starter was behind the worst?

    They had the Bears ranked at 15 on the list last year. I am simply saying that with Austin being young and those stats he is worth a look and has a decent ceiling

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Not disagreeing... I like Austin as well...

    I thought our McCown brother was behind worst at TB last year giving us refugees from behind the two worst.

  • Not disagreeing... I like Austin as well...

    I thought our McCown brother was behind worst at TB last year giving us refugees from behind the two worst.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #37

    @tour2ma said:

    Not disagreeing... I like Austin as well...

    I thought our McCown brother was behind worst at TB last year giving us refugees from behind the two worst.

    My bad LOL totally forgot he was with TB last year. Yes they were ranked at 25 so he definitely had some issues too. I am still surprised they signed a QB considering we kept Pryor. It almost lends itself to the theory that perhaps JFF is actually hurt worse than they let on and headed to at least short term IR

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

    HA!.........I say neverrrrr.....

    In all my years of Browns drafts(which are many), Ive never seen an influx of college manlove like we saw this past year....

    completely unprecedented.....

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @mudfly said:

    HA!.........I say neverrrrr.....

    In all my years of Browns drafts(which are many), Ive never seen an influx of college manlove like we saw this past year....

    completely unprecedented.....

    How many Heisman winners from schools with 50,00 people have we drafted in the message board era?

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #39

    On the pass blocking ranking alone TB was even worse.

  • How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

    M Mlytc wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

    Not long, guess I'm the first one. Glad to see AD land somewhere that has really hasn't had a QB that stands out for a while. He is used to being the underdog, went to Southern Miss on a baseball scholly and decided to walk on as a QB instead and became the 4 year starter. Broke most of the records that Brett Favre set at Southern Miss. He is as solid a QB as you will find, very cerebral, doesn't give up on plays and isn't injury prone. His weaknesses are the deep ball and had a game or two that he couldn't hit his rhythm. Since I'm from South MS, being a Browns fan hasn't really ever crossed my mind but if he finds a place with you, I guess I'll be wearing new colors.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

    Not long, guess I'm the first one. Glad to see AD land somewhere that has really hasn't had a QB that stands out for a while. He is used to being the underdog, went to Southern Miss on a baseball scholly and decided to walk on as a QB instead and became the 4 year starter. Broke most of the records that Brett Favre set at Southern Miss. He is as solid a QB as you will find, very cerebral, doesn't give up on plays and isn't injury prone. His weaknesses are the deep ball and had a game or two that he couldn't hit his rhythm. Since I'm from South MS, being a Browns fan hasn't really ever crossed my mind but if he finds a place with you, I guess I'll be wearing new colors.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @mlytc said:

    Not long, guess I'm the first one. Glad to see AD land somewhere that has really hasn't had a QB that stands out for a while. He is used to being the underdog, went to Southern Miss on a baseball scholly and decided to walk on as a QB instead and became the 4 year starter. Broke most of the records that Brett Favre set at Southern Miss. He is as solid a QB as you will find, very cerebral, doesn't give up on plays and isn't injury prone. His weaknesses are the deep ball and had a game or two that he couldn't hit his rhythm. Since I'm from South MS, being a Browns fan hasn't really ever crossed my mind but if he finds a place with you, I guess I'll be wearing new colors.

    I was surprised that he was available. Not that he's great, but in a QB starved league, he played decent last year for the Rams. Must have had a bad camp or Jeff Fisher wasn't happy with him.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

    Not long, guess I'm the first one. Glad to see AD land somewhere that has really hasn't had a QB that stands out for a while. He is used to being the underdog, went to Southern Miss on a baseball scholly and decided to walk on as a QB instead and became the 4 year starter. Broke most of the records that Brett Favre set at Southern Miss. He is as solid a QB as you will find, very cerebral, doesn't give up on plays and isn't injury prone. His weaknesses are the deep ball and had a game or two that he couldn't hit his rhythm. Since I'm from South MS, being a Browns fan hasn't really ever crossed my mind but if he finds a place with you, I guess I'll be wearing new colors.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @mlytc said:

    Not long, guess I'm the first one.

    LMAO...

    It would seem you easily meet our criteria of objectivity...

    Welcome aboard...

  • S Southern miss fan wrote on last edited by
    #43

    Guess I'm the second USM fan to the forum. I have known Austin since his high school days and I am a life long souther miss fan. I am proud Austin has landed with you guys. He was never given a fair chance in St. Louis most obviously this year. After putting up decent stats with a poor OL and no running game the Rams were hell bent to bring Keenum back and basically handed the back up job this year. Davis only threw five passes in preseason this year with very few practice reps. He was kept in camp till final cuts as insurance if one of qbs were injured. Long story short he was screwed by fisher and rams brass. There is no real advantage to Keenum. If you have nothing else, Davis is a legit and quality back up. As stated above he is a cerebral Qb that is accurate with his passes. From my understanding, the browns had interest in Austin back in the spring. I wish he had been in camp from day one instead of going back to the soon to be Los Angeles Rams. There was interest from a couple of teams during pre season one of those being philly. I think Austin can flourish with a team with a steady run game and protection. I hope he can catch on with the Browns and was not brought in until Manziel gets healthy. Look forward to keeping up with the browns.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Well, he did better against NFL defenses last year than both Josh and Johnny ... So there's that.

    Z

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Hahahaha. Narrative busted.

  • Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by
    #46

    I like Davis as insurance. Do I think Favre was right about him being Brady or Warner? No. But we'll settle for better than Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #47

    Davis will push JM to get even better or ?'s. After week 8 things could be interesting around here with 5 division games left.. Davis should be more than ready by then and Shaw maybe done here unless JM is done first. Good competition is a good thing and go A&M 😮😉

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #48

    I'm pleased with Davis. Not as a starter, but he looked pretty solid for the Rams last year, with a positive TD:Int ration, and decent completion percentage - much better than Thad. If JM can't step up, Davis is a solid #2. If, in 3 months JM is the starter, Davis is a solid #2 and McCown can go.