Skip to content

Browns showing interest in Monte Ball

The Browns Board
22 17 908
  • Report: Montee Ball fielding interest from Browns, Broncos

    Sep 9 2015, 6:28 PMArun Srinivasan

    Montee Ball is speaking with the Cleveland Browns and a host of unnamed clubs, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Northeast Ohio Media Group.

    Ball went unclaimed after being released by the Denver Broncos on Sunday. The Broncos are one of the teams speaking to him, Cabot says.

    One of the most prolific collegiate runners in history, Ball's early success didn't translate to the professional level. He was selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft by Denver but failed to live up to lofty expectations.

    The former Wisconsin star was placed on injured reserve after suffering a groin injury in Week 5 against the Arizona Cardinals. He rushed for 172 yards and a touchdown on 55 carries last season, watching C.J. Anderson seize the starting role permanently.

  • He's inconsistent but has talent. Like West. I say what do you have to lose? He could be a decent backup for sure and add depth.

  • He reminds me of West, but beggars can't be choosers right now and we need depth, so it is what it is.

  • When Joe Thomas says hell yes you take a Badger that's good enough for me

  • He's consistent, but has no talent. Not worth a roster spot.

    He's another Big Ten plodder who got notoriety at UW for getting yards behind an OL that would get 1000 yards for even Lydell Ross. [possibly the worst starting running back in the history of OSU footbal]

  • Is Willis Magahee available?

  • Bring Herschel Walker back - he keeps himself in game shape.

  • what happened with Grey? Also, Turbin is ready to go.

  • He's inconsistent but has talent. Like West. I say what do you have to lose? He could be a decent backup for sure and add depth.

    @opal312 said:

    He's inconsistent but has talent. Like West. I say what do you have to lose?

    Crowell's fantasy points. I may or may not have gotten him in all 10 leagues....

  • We need depth in that role. So, if it's not too costly, bring him in.

  • Why was he cut again?

  • Why was he cut again?

    @lbc-mike said:

    Why was he cut again?

    Got beat out by Anderson, Hillman and Juwan Thompson. Team supposedly really likes Kapri Bibbs on their practice squad
  • He ran behind a huge and hugely talented O-line at Wisc. in a run oriented offense (see Ark. now). Overrated back.

  • He ran behind a huge and hugely talented O-line at Wisc. in a run oriented offense (see Ark. now). Overrated back.

    @texasag1969 said:

    He ran behind a huge and hugely talented O-line at Wisc. in a run oriented offense (see Ark. now). Overrated back.

    Well.....maybe we should stick to taking RBs from Oklahoma and Cal. Four of the Top Ten RBs likely come from those two schools:

    Marshawn Lynch/Justin Forsett: Cal

    Adrian Peterson/DeMarco Murray: Oklahoma

    Leveon Bell: Mich. St.

    LeSean McCoy: Pitt

    Matt Forte: Tulane

    Alfred Morris: Florida Atlantic

    Arian Foster: Tennessee

    Frank Gore: Miami Fla.

    Eddie Lacy: Alabama

    (we sure as hell do not want to rely on Alabama RBs....they have the same issues as Wisconsin RBs.)

  • For a third running back I want a guy that wants to play special teams, is familiar with our playbook and knows the blocking assignments if called into action ... So I think Draughns is a better fit than Ball.

    Zombo

  • If we are considering veterans.....how about this bunch:

    Steven Jackson

    Knowshon Moreno (if back from injury)

    Ahmad Bradshaw

    George Winn

    Can any of these be worse than signing Ray Rice?

  • Bradshaw maybe. But let's see how Crowell and Duke can do, with Draughn as backup.

  • For a third running back I want a guy that wants to play special teams, is familiar with our playbook and knows the blocking assignments if called into action ... So I think Draughns is a better fit than Ball.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    For a third running back I want a guy that wants to play special teams, is familiar with our playbook and knows the blocking assignments if called into action ... So I think Draughns is a better fit than Ball.

    Zombo

    All true....but still, it would nice to have an upgrade over Draughn.....though I am not sure there is a guy out there.

    What is the story with Jay Ajayi......did he stick with who drafted him? ( or was he injured)

  • Bradshaw maybe. But let's see how Crowell and Duke can do, with Draughn as backup.

    @gftchris said:

    Bradshaw maybe. But let's see how Crowell and Duke can do, with Draughn as backup.

    What I would like to see too-all the guys mentioned including Ball should be around in a few weeks if it doesn't work out. I really hope they add a 3rd RB though.

  • If nobody decent is waived and Crow/Johnson don't inspire confidence.. why not put together a package for Knile Davis?