Skip to content

How the Other QBs in the 2014 Draft Class Fared...

The Browns Board
24 11 1.0k
  • While we all watched Manziel play in our 31-10 loss going 13-24 for 182 yards with 1 TD 1 INT and 2 fumbles rolled up into a passer rating of 75.3 - here's what the other QBs in his draft class did in their openers:

    Teddy B: 23-32 for 231 yds 0 TDs 1 INT 79 passer rating 20-3 loss

    Derek Carr: 7-12 for 61 yards 0 TD 0 INT 71.9 passer rating 33-13 loss

    Blake Bortles: 22-40 for 183 yds 1 TD 2 INTs 54.5 passer rating 20-9 loss

    Which guy looked so drastically ahead of Manziel?

    In fairness to Manziel, I thought he made some really nice plays (including a few that got called back via penalty). I also thought he threw a beautiful pass to the back corner of the end zone. Unfortunately, the WR was only about 5'7" tall with the type of small wing span you'd expect so he couldn't keep his feet in bounds like most average height WRs prolly could in the same situation.

    IMO Manziel's biggest room for improvement based on last Sunday are:

    chemistry with some of the WRs

    feeling the pressure behind him

    securing the football

    consistency (which often relies heavily on experience)

    This week, Dick LeBeau is going to throw some zone blitz schemes and many clever disguises at Manziel so maybe it was good Rex Ryan exposed him to a lot of blitzes in the preseason. I hope Flip plans to exploit the flats in the passing game as well as the grey area between the flats and hook zones. Last year when Horton was the DC in TN, Benjamin scored 2 TDs and made some clutch catches. He also seemed to have the best chemistry with our QBs all preseason and in week 1.

    It'll be interesting to see how Manziel does with slant passes and who Flip will designate as his targets for those. If it's our compact WRs - the challenge is keeping the ball down without getting the passes deflected. Manziel has that 3/4 delivery so LeBeau will challenge his front to bat a lot of those down. If we use a bigger target like Barnidge, Dray, Bibbs or Hartline - that might be easier on Manziel. We shall see folks...

  • How come Carr only threw 12 times?

  • How come Carr only threw 12 times?

    @blowe said:

    How come Carr only threw 12 times?

    I think he hurt his hand. Not sure how serious it is.

  • Raiders - Cooper, Crabtree

    Vikings - Wallace, Rudolph, Peterson

    Jags - ...eh... ?

    Excellent point, Flugels !

  • Oh God! Is this thread even serious?

    You completely discarded what bridgewater and Carr did last season and took week 1 as a measuring stick.

    This is some "weak" shit.

  • TN has one of the weakest Defense in the league. If JF struggles at home against the TN, it's over.

  • We didn't need to draft a QB in 2014 or a DB for that matter

  • Oh God! Is this thread even serious?

    You completely discarded what bridgewater and Carr did last season and took week 1 as a measuring stick.

    This is some "weak" shit.

    @masterdog said:

    Oh God! Is this thread even serious?

    You completely discarded what bridgewater and Carr did last season and took week 1 as a measuring stick.

    This is some "weak" shit.

    Carr was terrible last season. People should stop mentioning him. Bridgewater put it together in the second half of the season. Hard to know what Johnny would look like after 6 or 7 starts.
  • bridgewater blows. he's the next RG3. let someone actually put a hit on him and it's over.........

  • Carr is officially listed as Probable after hurting his throwing hand trying to stiff arm Adam Jones to the helmet.

    I really expect the addition of Cooper to help him. Carr loved throwing the bubble screen in college. Cooper excelled at receiving it.

    Saw a little of Bortles' Week 1 and it was shockingly bad.

  • Oh God! Is this thread even serious?

    You completely discarded what bridgewater and Carr did last season and took week 1 as a measuring stick.

    This is some "weak" shit.

    @masterdog said:

    Oh God! Is this thread even serious?

    You completely discarded what bridgewater and Carr did last season and took week 1 as a measuring stick.

    This is some "weak" shit.

    I didn't discard anything - I was just giving week 1 comparisons. I didn't realize my post would throw you into your 3rd consecutive meltdown in as many threads as I've seen you in today. Did you lose a girlfriend to some little guy with big hands and big feet or something?

    Let's have some fun and add 2014 to this:

    Carr's team was 3-13 in 2014 - they're 0-1 today. The Jay Cutler fan club could use a 2nd fan right about now that prefers junktime stats to wins.

    Bortles' team was 3-13 in 2014 - they're 0-1 today. He was a 3rd overall pick that looks more like a passenger than a football messiah.

    I've always liked Teddy B and thought he played well in 2014 not to be confused with week 1 in 2015. Today, he's 0-1 with 3 points to his name.

    We get it. You predicted Manziel would suck, ran your yap everywhere you could just like we're seeing today, and it's left you cornered into rooting against your alleged favorite team? Another new school hotshot that thinks he can quit his day job on the grounds he was bold enough to predict a 21 year old QB drafted by a 4-12 team in Cleveland would struggle. Way to go out on a limb kid!

  • You're trying to step down on the other QBs To make JF look better. Give it up. He's been nothing but a huge mistake. He admitted to being lazy, unprepared and very unprofessional his first season.

  • Masterbater: I've looked back at your history of posts and almost all are on Johnny Football. Either you have a crush on him and he turned you down, or you are a sick fuck.

  • more like he's 13 yrs. old and living in east cleveland.

    such white hate.

  • You're trying to step down on the other QBs To make JF look better. Give it up. He's been nothing but a huge mistake. He admitted to being lazy, unprepared and very unprofessional his first season.

    @masterdog said:

    You're trying to step down on the other QBs To make JF look better. Give it up. He's been nothing but a huge mistake. He admitted to being lazy, unprepared and very unprofessional his first season.

    Let's baby step here.

    1) This is a message board for Cleveland Browns fans so a lot of us have this tendency to root for Browns over guys on other teams.

    2) I only gave a comparison exposing the reality that 3-13 QBs that are now 0-1 aren't the greener grass than our QB from the same draft class.

    3) You're rooting for QBs drafted by other teams while I'm rooting for the one we drafted. Right back to baby step #1 again.

    4) That means you'll be rooting for TN to beat us today hoping you can chest-pound to a "told ya so" at the end of that day. Lucky us! And how about this? This marks the 3rd time we're parking at baby step #1.

    5) After wasting 100 million $ on Albert Haynesworth + whatever absurd $ he spent on Shawn Lauvao + what he traded away to overpay RG3 - Daniel Synder is looking for a Few Good Men! Just go tell him you quit your day job after predicting a 21 year old QB with 2 years of college eligibility remaining drafted by a 4-12 football team would fail.

  • bridgewater blows. he's the next RG3. let someone actually put a hit on him and it's over.........

    @miktoxic said:

    bridgewater blows. he's the next RG3. let someone actually put a hit on him and it's over.........

    In size yeah, in playing style? No way. Bridgewater is a pocket passer, who moves around to throw. He rarely runs and when he does he is extremely cautious to not get hurt.

    But, I have family in Minnesota so I have a soft spot for the Vikings so maybe I'm just bias haha

  • @miktoxic said:

    bridgewater blows. he's the next RG3. let someone actually put a hit on him and it's over.........

    In size yeah, in playing style? No way. Bridgewater is a pocket passer, who moves around to throw. He rarely runs and when he does he is extremely cautious to not get hurt.

    But, I have family in Minnesota so I have a soft spot for the Vikings so maybe I'm just bias haha

    @spek216 said:

    In size yeah, in playing style? No way. Bridgewater is a pocket passer, who moves around to throw. He rarely runs and when he does he is extremely cautious to not get hurt.

    But, I have family in Minnesota so I have a soft spot for the Vikings so maybe I'm just bias haha

    that's gotta be it. either that or you love cross-dressing black men.

  • 1) Week one of 2015 does not tell the whole story

    2) Win loss records from 2014 do not tell the while story

    I have to admit, it does come off as you trying to make JF look better by making the other QBs look worse

  • 1) Week one of 2015 does not tell the whole story

    2) Win loss records from 2014 do not tell the while story

    I have to admit, it does come off as you trying to make JF look better by making the other QBs look worse

    @mld-woody said:

    1) Week one of 2015 does not tell the whole story

    2) Win loss records from 2014 do not tell the while story

    I have to admit, it does come off as you trying to make JF look better by making the other QBs look worse

    Woody, considering Manziel was the only one of the QBs in that overall comparison that didn't practice with the first offense in the game plan leading up to the openers week 1 - why do you feel I need to baby and coddle the other 1st round QBs like our troll rooting against the Browns this week?

    I understand holding rookie QBs to 2014 records isn't fair. Then you should also understand that a final chapter about a NFL QB is rarely ever written when he's only 21 years old.

  • I don't see the stature comparison between RG3 and Bridgewater, or even Wilson and Manziel (which I think I read this week).

    -RG3 is tall and skinny. Really skinny. Thin shoulders, thin neck, thin legs, etc.

    -Bridgewater is shorter and thicker than RG3 with a thick neck and broad shoulders. Overall he just looks more solid than Griffin.

    -Johnny is a bit more RG3ish as far as body composition but he doesn't take the same hits and never has. IIRC, A&M rattled RG3 into losing against us twice because of Von Miller one year and Damontre Moore the next. He got popped and got rattled and I think he left the game in one. Johnny is much better at positioning his body such that he only takes glancing blows.

    -Wilson is the thickest of the bunch. Super broad shoulders. Huge neck and huge legs. Even pretty solid arms. He is a well built quarterback and this is a beef I have with guys who want to compare Manziel's durability to his. Wilson is much more solidly built.